Will you play an open-world Splinter Cell Game?

Posted by uninspiredcup (34287 posts) 28 days, 1 hour ago

Poll: Will you play an open-world Splinter Cell Game? (26 votes)

I'll give it a chance 50%
Fuck off 50%
No Caption Provided

Splinter Cell: Blacklist tried to please both old school fans and action fans by attempting to allow both styles of gameplay. It was largely successful in what it set out to do, yet sold like wank.

If they make a Metal Gear Solid V type game for next gen, will you be down with this? Will you at least entertain the idea or are you that disenchanted by Ubisoft it's it's automatic fail?

#1 Edited by Ant_17 (12701 posts) -

You mean Wildlands?

#2 Posted by lundy86_4 (53613 posts) -

Open-level? Sure. Open-world? **** no.

#3 Edited by warmblur (2762 posts) -

Hell yeah, I would give it a chance.

#4 Posted by quatoe (7239 posts) -

Honestly it could be a fucking visual novel and I would play it as long as it is Splinter Cell.

#5 Posted by Archangel3371 (28349 posts) -

No. However I don’t play the other Splinter Cell games either so 🤷‍♂️

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#6 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4854 posts) -

Of course I would. It's Splinter Cell. People can **** off with that open-world whining.

#7 Posted by I_P_Daily (12283 posts) -

I would give it a chance.

#8 Posted by I_P_Daily (12283 posts) -

@Ant_17 said:

You mean Wildlands?

Funny you should mention that as my character had a Splinter Cell outfit and I played the game in it lol.

#9 Posted by Ghosts4ever (10246 posts) -

No, it will ruined the series more than conviction/blacklist did. What they need is open level like chaos theory.

#10 Posted by Ghosts4ever (10246 posts) -

@i_p_daily: wildland is just another victim of going open world. Original ghost recon was hardcore tactical shooter while wildlands is just another generic open world game.

#11 Posted by sakaiXx (5889 posts) -

If the gameplay is like MGSV yeah but if the story is like MGSV then nope.

#12 Posted by DaVillain- (37441 posts) -

Sure why not. Love open-world games and hey, I gave MGS5 a chance and I didn't mind that game at all. I love Splinter Cell series in the matter of speaking.

#13 Posted by BoxRekt (1999 posts) -

Splinter Cell has always been a generic game with no personality. I'd try it for cheap but without a good narrative it'll never be anything I'll get hyped for as a single player game. And MGS always had more fluid and enjoyable gameplay mechanics.

#14 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (19131 posts) -

Nope... I'm so sick of open-world games it's not even funny.

#15 Posted by lamprey263 (36174 posts) -

they kind of already are, mission specific maps are big and allow for variety of approaches, no more open than that please, otherwise it'll just be a 10-20 hour story stretch out to 100+ hours and padded with shallow cookie cut content, then they'll throw in open world online because how else they going to get us to pay for microtransactions and season pass content, and as much as everyone pretends to hate these things, they'd throw a tatrum on gaming forums if they ever reverted to a more traditional release, they'd just be pandering to the mob

#16 Posted by Ezekiel43 (1696 posts) -

No. Open world made MGS a worse stealth game. Sloppier, less focused level design means more boring concealment and patrol routes.

#17 Posted by Macutchi (6848 posts) -

old school fan here. hi. saying blacklist tried to please me and was "largely successful in what it set out to do" is a stretch. it flitted between being barely tolerable and downright awful.

there seems to be very little to suggest they're working on a new sc game but, if they are, the poor sales of blacklist will likely just push the design even closer towards the game-by-numbers safe far cry and assassin's creed open world templates. i've made my peace with ubisoft never returning to past glories (i.e. pre 2006 era)

#18 Posted by freedomfreak (51235 posts) -

Hell to the no. It would ruin the game entirely. It's the reason MGS5 was a boring slog.

#19 Posted by Ghosts4ever (10246 posts) -

@boxrekt said:

Splinter Cell has always been a generic game with no personality. I'd try it for cheap but without a good narrative it'll never be anything I'll get hyped for as a single player game. And MGS always had more fluid and enjoyable gameplay mechanics.

LOL splinter cell has always been far better and more of stealth than MGS. take a look at this

Loading Video...

Chaos theory was masterpiece. a pure stealth simulator with light and dark meter, sneaking behind enemies etc.

where a MGS has insane amount of action plus boss fights making it more of action game than steath.

#20 Posted by Litchie (24085 posts) -

Nope.

#21 Edited by watercrack445 (1714 posts) -

I played Splinter Cell blacklisted demo. The one with the "green" protagonist and the "red" sidekick? Yes.

That is the only Splinter cell game I played.

Unlike most of the forum users, I was born in the 90s and not old enough to know all these popular games in the 20s.

#22 Posted by Ghosts4ever (10246 posts) -

@watercrack445 said:

I played Splinter Cell blacklisted demo. The one with the "green" protagonist and the "red" sidekick? Yes.

That is the only Splinter cell game I played.

Unlike most of the forum users, I was born in the 90s and not old enough to know all these popular games in the 20s.

you can replay lot of games later. I was very very young when most of 90s games released so i played them later.

#23 Posted by AJStyles (1007 posts) -

My main issue with a splinter cell and Ubisoft games in general is “insta-fail” mission design.

If you are making an open world game, you should never fail a mission. You should have multiple ways of beating it.

If you were supposed to save a hostage and they died, you should NOT fail. The game should continue on.

Ghost Recon Wildlands is driving me freaking crazy because I have to keep redoing missions because “someone saw me”. I don’t care if they saw me. Continue the mission! Let me catch up to them. Let me find the hidden base on my own. Screw “tailing” him.

Ubisoft still has bad mission design especially for stealth.

#24 Posted by KungfuKitten (26733 posts) -

I would totally give it a chance. I think it could be pretty cool.

#25 Posted by IgGy621985 (5534 posts) -

Yep, I'd give it a chance, but they shouldn't change the voice actor. Ironside is Sam Fisher.

Then again, if they have to change the voice actor because of the contract issues or whatever, find someone who can emulate Ironside.

#26 Posted by PC_Rocks (2553 posts) -

It can be a good thing is theory but it's Ubisoft, they will fu*k it in a million ways.

#27 Posted by uninspiredcup (34287 posts) -

@IgGy621985 said:

Yep, I'd give it a chance, but they shouldn't change the voice actor. Ironside is Sam Fisher.

Then again, if they have to change the voice actor because of the contract issues or whatever, find someone who can emulate Ironside.

Ironside is a pretty old dude now, could easily be gone in 5-10 years.

The series already established there is more than one of them, it would make more sense to have a new character. But we all know Ubisoft are cynical fuckpigs, so they will get as much as that creamy milk as they can.

#28 Edited by uninspiredcup (34287 posts) -

@Macutchi said:

old school fan here. hi. saying blacklist tried to please me and was "largely successful in what it set out to do" is a stretch. it flitted between being barely tolerable and downright awful.

I'd argue it's the third best game in the series.

Re-played Pandora's Tomorrow the other day actually and it really is pretty bad compared to Blacklist. No multiple paths, twitchy AI, quite a few forced combat sequences, some pretty bad platforming sections (elevator) and some flat, boring level design. The ending mission is pretty pants as well compared to the original. Really short game as well, it feels more like an expansion pack. It even re-uses a submarine mission, which the original has as a mission expansion, except it sucks butt.

That and Conviction are bottom of the barrel for me. One shitty stealth, the other, Ubisoft pissing it's panties desperately trying to turn it into an action for Xboxlive kiddies who can't sit for 20 seconds without being bored.

Blacklist is still somewhat steamlined, but i'd easily put it above these two games, and probably Double Agent, which itself has a few dumb flaws, like a unlock system nobody asked for. Ubisoft just dumped it in there, because dats what other games do, we must.

Granted, Blacklist has a peice of shit unlock system as well, that has no place in Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon or Rainbow 6, but I found it nowhere near as egregious.

-

Wildlands isn't a good sign. It goes without saying it's so far from the original, so cynical and uninspired in design, it makes me genuinely worried for Splinter Cells future.

#29 Posted by I_P_Daily (12283 posts) -

@ghosts4ever said:

@i_p_daily: wildland is just another victim of going open world. Original ghost recon was hardcore tactical shooter while wildlands is just another generic open world game.

Well the SW rule is that whatever you say the exact opposite is true.

And you can't talk generic without mentioning Doom.

#30 Edited by Ghosts4ever (10246 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Well the SW rule is that whatever you say the exact opposite is true.

And you can't talk generic without mentioning Doom.

why bringing Doom into discussion which is irrelevant? Doom is probably more unique than any of shitty racing games you play every day. and has probably more variety in level design. thats the reason why its one of the most beloved game on steam. try playing it on nightmare and only strategy is keep running otherwise you died..

some of us just dont accept ubisoft dumbed down open world formula.

Loading Video...

This was real ghost recon. hardcore, tactical, realistic shooter with open map design.

Wildland is just another open world game. or i would say more like just cause.

Splinter cell is my most beloved franchise by ubisoft (till chaos theory). i rather want series to died than become another victim of open world.

#31 Posted by Ghosts4ever (10246 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:
@Macutchi said:

Re-played Pandora's Tomorrow the other day actually and it really is pretty bad compared to Blacklist. No multiple paths, twitchy AI, quite a few forced combat sequences, some pretty bad platforming sections (elevator) and some flat, boring level design. The ending mission is pretty pants as well compared to the original. Really short game as well, it feels more like an expansion pack. It even re-uses a submarine mission, which the original has as a mission expansion, except it sucks butt.

That and Conviction are bottom of the barrel for me. One shitty stealth, the other, Ubisoft pissing it's panties desperately trying to turn it into an action for Xboxlive kiddies who can't sit for 20 seconds without being bored.

Blacklist is still somewhat steamlined, but i'd easily put it above these two games, and probably Double Agent, which itself has a few dumb flaws, like a unlock system nobody asked for. Ubisoft just dumped it in there, because dats what other games do, we must.

Granted, Blacklist has a peice of shit unlock system as well, that has no place in Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon or Rainbow 6, but I found it nowhere near as egregious.

-

Wildlands isn't a good sign. It goes without saying it's so far from the original, so cynical and uninspired in design, it makes me genuinely worried for Splinter Cells future.

Im not high on pandora tommorow as you said its more like expansion pack but come on. blacklist is worst splinter cell game ever. even worse than chaos theory. Its as actiony as conviction but just stealth few stealth parts. yet it has annoying mass effect like mission breifing and terrible level design with forced FPS gameplay.

Chaos theory was last great Splinter cell game. infact that game was masterpiece. didnot liked double agent too but i heard PS2/Xbox version was better and was like chaos theory.

#32 Posted by robert_sparkes (3222 posts) -

Can't believe Ubisoft are finding it hard to come up with ideas for a new splinter cell says a lot about the company.

#33 Posted by SecretPolice (35358 posts) -

Like most games these dayzzzz, only if it's offered on GamePass. :P

#34 Posted by IgGy621985 (5534 posts) -
@robert_sparkes said:

Can't believe Ubisoft are finding it hard to come up with ideas for a new splinter cell says a lot about the company.

I don't think they're having problems with ideas. They're probably having problems with coming up how to monetize the game in the long-term.

Rainbow Six and The Division are "games as a service" titles. The new Watch Dogs will probably additionally blur the line between single-player and GaaS for the franchise.

Splinter Cell is a single-player game in its core.

#35 Edited by uninspiredcup (34287 posts) -

@sakaixx said:

If the gameplay is like MGSV yeah but if the story is like MGSV then nope.

The original Splinter Cell had a very good story compared to Metal Gear Solids waffle. Then it as the series went on, it became increasingly bombastic and melodramatic to appeal to mouth dribblers.

We reached peak dumb when Sam Fisher was whimsically playing a piano while sci-fi ninjas attacked him.

The neat thing about the first game story is that it gives the sense of a larger world operating outside Sam than Sam being the centre of the world.

But Ubisoft don't think the player base is intelligent enough to put A -Z together with out-dating ideas like "reading", and need some shitty revenge plot in every single game they make.

Absolute cocks.

#36 Posted by Macutchi (6848 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:
@Macutchi said:

-

i have fond memories of pandora tomorrow but was under the impression it was unplayable on a modern setup due to something handling lighting being long since deprecated and the shadows didn't render, or something, hence its omission from steam. i'd love to give it another whirl, it's been at least 10 years since i played it. how did you get it working?

i'd argue your point about wildlands is mirrored in blacklist. having not long since finished my annual return to chaos theory it's disappointing how far blacklist has deviated. the stand out issues i had with blacklist were things like

• immersion breaking invisible walls
  • forced action sections (and those ridiculously over powered enemies)
  • gimped gameplay - no interrogations, no binoculars, no map, cant pull enemies over a balcony, can't recollect sticky cams, can't disable mines, hide behind corner - call out enemy - grab them as the approach - knock them out - easy to cheese rinse and repeat mechanic
  • generic sam fisher without the wit and his merry band of personality free stereotypes
  • paying for your own equipment and having to buy essential gadgets
  • magic see through walls sonar
  • the out of place, between level, mass effect-like paladin sections where you wander round and talk to your team
  • borrowing mechanics from other ubi games - bounding round a building more like altair than sam from the early games, far cry 3 detection meter

the xbox double agent was decent. better than the 360/pc version. double agent had its moments but was let down by being buggy as fck on pc and repeating the same jba headquarters mission over and over again.

conviction was a weird one. i remember the first footage they revealed of it when it looked like hobo sam and it was about stealth-in-plain-sight. my theory (theory is probably a bit generous) is that version of splinter cell went on to become assassin's creed which shared that blend into the crowd mechanic and one or two other commonalities. i'm not sure if the timelines quite align (think it was late 06 when that footage emerged, and late 07 when assassin's creed released). the conviction that eventually released was very different than the one they first demo'd and felt different to anything they'd done before or since.

by the time blacklist came out, ubisoft had f*cked me over that many times there is a risk that my judgement was clouded in prejudice, but for me it's the worst in the series

#37 Edited by uninspiredcup (34287 posts) -

@Macutchi: It's pretty stupid, even if you own a legit copy you're still forced to use a nocd crack thanks to Ubisofts overindulgence with DRM.

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Tom_Clancy%27s_Splinter_Cell:_Pandora_Tomorrow

Easy enough to set up, found Double Agent more problematic.

I'd agree about the invisible wall bullshit, but I think this was sort of a problem in all of them. While they don't have invisible walls, you have very specific context sensitive interactive stuff while alot of the rest of the environment is window dressing, in that regard I think Metal Gear Solid 2 was well ahead, as almost everything in the level reacts.

Hobo Same throwing tables and shit had a negative reaction, then they release a visually impressive game, but when you play it, it's pretty shit. Just an action game masquerading as stealth, much like how they bastardised Rainbow Six into Gears Of War with terrorists or how Wildlands is just a generic open world game prostituting the name.

Never had much of a problem with Blacklist when I turned all the casual shit off and upped the difficulty in the same manner as Conviction, still found it to be a largely enjoyable stealth game, even though it did remove wanted stuff like moving bodies incremental walking speed and light/sound meter.

The new Sam Fisher was shit, but they already sort of fucked up his story in previous games with shitty attempts at a Hollywood movie. He's by default a low-key character, but they keep trying to amp him up.

#38 Edited by Macutchi (6848 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

@Macutchi: It's pretty stupid, even if you own a legit copy you're still forced to use a nocd crack thanks to Ubisofts overindulgence with DRM.

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Tom_Clancy%27s_Splinter_Cell:_Pandora_Tomorrow

Easy enough to set up, found Double Agent more problematic.

I'd agree about the invisible wall bullshit, but I think this was sort of a problem in all of them. While they don't have invisible walls, you have very specific context sensitive interactive stuff while alot of the rest of the environment is window dressing, in that regard I think Metal Gear Solid 2 was well ahead, as almost everything in the level reacts.

Hobo Same throwing tables and shit had a negative reaction, then they release a visually impressive game, but when you play it, it's pretty shit. Just an action game masquerading as stealth, much like how they bastardised Rainbow Six into Gears Of War with terrorists or how Wildlands is just a generic open world game prostituting the name.

Never had much of a problem with Blacklist when I turned all the casual shit off and upped the difficulty in the same manner as Conviction, still found it to be a largely enjoyable stealth game, even though it did remove wanted stuff like moving bodies incremental walking speed and light/sound meter.

The new Sam Fisher was shit, but they already sort of fucked up his story in previous games with shitty attempts at a Hollywood movie. He's by default a low-key character, but they keep trying to amp him up.

thanks dude. bookmarked. i just need a dvd drive now so i can dust my copy off and try it out lol. and yeah typical ubi. i had to crack conviction because it kept losing connectivity to the servers and booting me out.

i can't argue with anything you're saying here tbh. i should probably replay blacklist and do as you suggest i.e. turn all the shit off. i only have it on the 360 though i'll have to see if it's playable on the one.

and yeah double agent irreversibly fcked the series over story wise. the dynamic between grim, lambert and sam in your ear throughout missions was awesome. no idea why they'd rip that apart to have him lose his daughter and jump into a double agent gig that ended with lambert's death. they could've had him as a double agent without all the personal life shit leaking into the game (and then they reversed the daughter dying in conviction anyway), and kept the triumvirate intact. they could have milked the shit out of it for me. probably a bit hypocritical as i have a strong disliking for their yearly franchise release model but i'd have probably been over the moon with a yearly instalment of a chaos theory-esque splinter cell with those three lol