Will there ever be too many video games?

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

I feel like we're already at that point. There are so many games that I want to play but there will never be enough time to play them. I want to get a PS4 so I can play Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne. But then I see stuff like the SNES Classic Edition and go awe man I haven't played Super Mario World in 10 years, and I've never played Super Mario RPG before, etc.

Then again, why should I buy those when I already have a dozen games sitting on the shelf that I've never played, and another dozen games I haven't played in forever and would like to again soon.

What's your stance on this? I know some people only play new games, and others will never replay a game. Do you feel like you'll ever reach a point where you have to bow out and stick with all that you already have?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58854 Posts

Good thing about being stupid and old is that your brain mostly forgets 10+ year old games. It's like new experience. These games practically pay for themselves.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9531 Posts

How could there ever be "too many" games? There are already too many for any one person to complete in an entire lifetime... That said, are there too many movies, cars, food items, drinks, inventions? No.. of course not. Gaming still has a LOT of untapped ground and potential. That said, a LOT of said potential is rediscovering what made gaming fun and intuitive in the first place. Something that is sorely missing in the majority of games these days that will likely be rediscovered at some point in time.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Good thing about being stupid and old is that your brain mostly forgets 10+ year old games. It's like new experience. These games practically pay for themselves.

Experiencing a game for the first time will never be the same as replaying a game, even if you played that game 10 years ago, 20 years ago or even 30 years ago.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#5 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

I barely have enough time to sit down and play one game. So for me, yes there probably are too many.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup

@R4gn4r0k said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Experiencing a game for the first time will never be the same as replaying a game, even if you played that game 10 years ago, 20 years ago or even 30 years ago.

Na, subjective. Something like Halflife I would absolutely agree with, because generally, there was nothing else like it, it's like a caveman learning fire for the first time. Not even Halflife 2 captured that sense of wonder.

Something like Command And Conquer, or Jedi Knight: Dark Forces the only real difference is noticing how dated it is using techniques like FMV. Experience wise after 10-20 minutes playing all that stuff melts away.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 R4gn4r0k

@uninspiredcup: But seriously though why can't we just have a new C&C or Jedi Knight that captures the spirit of the originals ?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#8 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

Will there? I crossed into that territory a long while back. I still have a couple of 6th gen games in my backlog. It's why the "no games" non sense makes me lol so hard. I have games to get me to my 50s

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By uninspiredcup

@R4gn4r0k said:

@uninspiredcup: But seriously though why can't we just have a new C&C or Jedi Knight that captures the spirit of the originals ?

Believe CnC died n a cynical microtransaction free2play game concept and Starwars is now been reduced to waving characters and light-sabers in front of man-boys to clap their little paws in excitement, rather than diverse exciting original content.

Granted, Battlefront II is getting SP, but let's not kid ourselves, it's going to be 4 hours of shit.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R4gn4r0k

@uninspiredcup: Yeah in that case we still haven't reached a situation where we have too many games :p

All old franchises need to be alive and well and not have died horribly (medal of honor, c&c) or live on as a shell of themselves (dungeon keeper, sim city)

Plus there needs to be lots of new IP to sustain this industry

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup

@R4gn4r0k said:

@uninspiredcup: Yeah in that case we still haven't reached a situation where we have too many games :p

All old franchises need to be alive and well and not have died horribly (medal of honor, c&c) or live on as a shell of themselves (dungeon keeper, sim city)

Plus there needs to be lots of new IP to sustain this industry

The moral of this lesson seems to be, keep away from EA.

Honestly, even if they brought them back they'd no doubt mess them up. At least in the grave some dignity can be afforded.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

There's already too many video games.

But I'm not the one complaining.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

There are enough video games to fill the sky if they are stars.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9531 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Agree to disagree on this one. There have been several times throughout my gaming years that I bought a game and barely played it for whatever the reason, and then went back and gave it another chance down the road and wondered why I didn't see the charm or greatness of the game in the brief time it turned me away before.

That said, I read another post of yours further down the thread, and it seems like your question and reasoning are two different topics. Well, at least for me they are. I for one feel there will never be enough games. That said, I DO wish that great old franchises would have NEW iterations. I do NOT want remakes and that kind of thing, especially since I already have all the originals.. lol.

I would like to have ONLINE remakes though. Some examples, SOCOM, SOCOM 2, and SOCOM Confrontation. I too am SICK and TIRED of all these stupid remakes and rehashes and what have you this gen. It's just a big cop out by developers to throw something together and save a lot of money or to try and cash in more on something that has already passed by. I'm all for seeing how FF7 and SotC turn out, but they were already great.. they already had their time in the spotlight. I feel that instead of possibly (more like probably.. did you hear FF7 isn't even supposed to be turn based?) ruining the legacy of the games that they should instead make a NEW game that has a LOT of features and mechanics used in those older games. People loved the playstyles, and would still love a NEW adventure with familiar controls and/or mechanics. Devs just dont seem to understand that people want more of what they love, if it was great before then don't change it too much. Don't get me wrong now... I'm not saying cut/paste I'm just saying that if the formula isn't broken and people LOVE IT then don't butcher it. It happens ALL THE TIME these days. It's what happened to SOCOM, and Medal of Honor, and and and and and and and..... it truly is sickening. Look at staple franchises that do well EACH and EVERY year. CoD, Madden, MLB the Show, Fifa, Forza, etc. What do all these HIGHLY popular games have in common? Simple they "evolve without breaking the formula".... it's truly a very simple thing that devs just haven't seemed to have learned yet. Hell, even Mugen games like Dynasty Warriors and tactic games like Romance of the Three Kingdoms hold consistent sales numbers, because even though they are largely the same and often criticized for it, THAT is what the fans of the games WANT.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

Yeah there's been too many games that I want to play for quite awhile now but that's ok, I'd rather have too many then too few.

DarkTower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DarkTower
Member since 2017 • 201 Posts

the more games the better imo

your time is valuable though, choose wisely

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#18 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@drummerdave9099 said:

I feel like we're already at that point. There are so many games that I want to play but there will never be enough time to play them. I want to get a PS4 so I can play Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne. But then I see stuff like the SNES Classic Edition and go awe man I haven't played Super Mario World in 10 years, and I've never played Super Mario RPG before, etc.

Then again, why should I buy those when I already have a dozen games sitting on the shelf that I've never played, and another dozen games I haven't played in forever and would like to again soon.

What's your stance on this? I know some people only play new games, and others will never replay a game. Do you feel like you'll ever reach a point where you have to bow out and stick with all that you already have?

Are their too many games? YES

Do more games need to be made? YES

Are there too many consoles?

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

too mnay indie trash clogging up the steam store making it impossible to find any hidden gems

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

I literally don't have time to play all the games i have. and more and more come out all the time. I probably have more unfinished games then most people have purchased total games in their lifetime. and we are only halfway through this gen. No system has a "lack of games" like people claim

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

The more, the merrier.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

** thinking about my backlist** ...never

Glitch-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Glitch-
Member since 2016 • 287 Posts

Remeber that games are just for fun. Play what games you find the most fun and that should keep you entertainted till you finish it and then you can play the next one.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

My back log got huge this gen. Quality Japanese devs getting their act together from gen 7 are to blame.

JJMarley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JJMarley
Member since 2015 • 162 Posts

Too many movies. Too many songs. Too many types of food. That's how dumb you sound.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

@darkangel115 said:

I literally don't have time to play all the games i have. and more and more come out all the time. I probably have more unfinished games then most people have purchased total games in their lifetime. and we are only halfway through this gen. No system has a "lack of games" like people claim

I try to nitpick only the finest that I'm excited about playing.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@pimphand_gamer said:
@darkangel115 said:

I try to nitpick only the finest that I'm excited about playing.

Pretty much except i buy a ton of games and if it bores me i just stop playing and move onto the next one. My backlog of unfinished games would keep most people here busy for the next year.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

Will there? I crossed into that territory a long while back. I still have a couple of 6th gen games in my backlog. It's why the "no games" non sense makes me lol so hard. I have games to get me to my 50s

Yep, between all the older gen games I can try to the laundry list of games that release a month if you're into indie shit, there is no shortage of games to play and find what fits your taste.

While I love arguing that gen 8 lacks ambition, there has never been a better time to be a gamer, a film buff, a bookworm, a whatever. Between the digital space, all the different research options on the internet, and decades upon decades of great entertainment being discussed there is both something new and a golden oldie to go back to.

Too many games? Yeah that's always been a thing, no one is gonna play all these games in one lifetime. Ideally we'd like to make our games we do play count, but **** that. Accept you're gonna play something meh along the way and move on to the next one. And if you want to replay something you love, then fucking do that.

I go back through my favorites all the time. There is no such thing as a bad time to listen to Stairway to Heaven.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

Not really.. Maybe only in a sense that it will be hard to see the gems out there in the heaps of garbage. Sometimes I stumble upon a game I've never heard or seen before and it turns out to be one of my favourite games ever after I play it. I've probably missed a lot of games that like that because of the sheer amount of games there are, and that's a shame..

I'm not feeling overwhelmed though. I play the new interesting things I see, and sometimes go back to games I get the urge to experience again. I'm very selective with which games I purchase, which helps with keeping my backlog in check. I don't go "Oh, it's only 4 bucks! Not sure if I'll ever play it, but I can't pass up that price" as so many others do. Either I mean to play a game and then buy it, or I don't buy it at all.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Can there be too many games: Sure, just look at Steam that gets flooded with tons of asset flips to make some fast cheap bucks. There are docents of games that are exactly the same, only being different in their title.

Can there be too many GOOD games: No, never. I'd rather have the hard choice to decide what to skip than having to play cinematic experience #23 because it's the only title worth playing

marcl18123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 marcl18123
Member since 2006 • 2050 Posts

I kinda feel like there are too many already, i have over 10 games backlogged but new ones keep coming out that i end up buying. *Looks at FF12 Zodiac Age released date*

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

Yes.

Tetris exists and they kept making games. Humanity never learns.

CRUSHER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#34 CRUSHER88
Member since 2003 • 2037 Posts

Much like music and movies, there is always too much to consume. However, my backlog on Steam, PS3, PS4, X360/X1 is getting ridiculous. I am slowly picking away at my X1/PS4 games but the fall rush of games in closing in. That and Humble Monthly keeps adding to my steam list.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#35  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@cainetao11 said:

Yep, between all the older gen games I can try to the laundry list of games that release a month if you're into indie shit, there is no shortage of games to play and find what fits your taste.

While I love arguing that gen 8 lacks ambition, there has never been a better time to be a gamer, a film buff, a bookworm, a whatever. Between the digital space, all the different research options on the internet, and decades upon decades of great entertainment being discussed there is both something new and a golden oldie to go back to.

Too many games? Yeah that's always been a thing, no one is gonna play all these games in one lifetime. Ideally we'd like to make our games we do play count, but **** that. Accept you're gonna play something meh along the way and move on to the next one. And if you want to replay something you love, then fucking do that.

I go back through my favorites all the time. There is no such thing as a bad time to listen to Stairway to Heaven.

As usual, well said. I have in the last 10 days revisited the Fable games because they were a favorite of my mom's. Just felt right to remember her by playing them again. I also recently revisited the film Taxi Driver for the first time in many years. Love those images of NYC I remember from being a kid. And its all at my finger tips because of the digital space.

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

There are always too many games for me coming out in the Holiday season. I pretty much always only play one game at a time because of different button maps and I like to drink and smoke when I play and cant keep track of too many at once.

Kinda sucks that so much pressure it put on launch sales numbers, because most of us will be buying more of the games later that launched in that time frame.