We have all wondered when it would happen, or maybe more importantly, if it would ever happen. But with a new console coming out, one that could seemingly handle a full fledged Pokemon RPG, you have to wonder if its on Nintendo's mind. Before we go any further, lets talk about why it could happen, and why it might not happen:
- More than anything, Pokemon tends to rely on its nostalgic aspects. The gameplay, the music, and the concept has remained fairly similar through time. Nintendo has never given the idea that it wanted to change any of that.
- Would Nintendo really want to "jeopardize" the sales numbers they get with each release of a new Pokemon game on gameboy?
- It would probably be a huge project, and I'm not entirely sure the series could be done justice. I hate seeing spin-offs like Battle Revolution.
- Nintendo hasn't shown any kind of intention in creating a full fledged Pokemon RPG, so as of right now, I'm not sure how much hope there can possible be for it.
Why It Will Happen:
- Pokemon has generated tremendous sales for Nintendo, so it remains a little baffling that they wouldn't want to carry it over to consoles.
- Fans have asked for it. The idea is there, its just up to Nintendo to act on it at this point.
- The world of Pokemon would set up tremendously on a console if done correctly.
- It is one of the few series that has the potential to not only be a huge seller in terms of copies, but would be sure to help sell a fair amount of consoles.
Now, like I said, the idea is pretty much already there. Here are a few of those ideas that would probably work within a Pokemon game on the Wii-U:
- A companion system. The portable versions of Pokemon have used the double battles for a while now, there is no reason that shouldn't work on a console version in which you can pick up companions as you can go. Not only could you fight with them, but there could be an advantage that comes with each companion (healer, informer, etc.)
- A turn based battle system, similar to what Pokemon has now.
- Loot. Just as with the portable versions of the game, the console version could offer tons of loot that would help you along your way.
- Of course, there would be tons of area to explore. With the personality Pokemon games already carry, I can only imagine how great it would be on the big screen.
- Different ways to play the game. Just like with any Pokemon game, you can focus on where you spend your time. Whether that be exploring, training, battling, or even catching every Pokemon in the game.
So obviously, the idea has been floated around by fans for a while. Does anyone see it happening? If not, why?