Will the Series S stand the test of time and last the whole gen?

WonderWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 WonderWinner
Member since 2021 • 2001 Posts

Not a troll or stealth bash thread, just a curious one.

Since this console was designed with 1440p max in mind and is not as powerful as the PS5 and XSX, what will be the real challenges once we pass the cross gen period? Will the games run fine on this machine? Will devs simply not really optimize multiplats for Series S and let the games run badly? I really don't know what are the limits of scability for games and, apart from first parties, I don't really think third party devs will spend lots of resources optimizing games for this console since I believe the vast majority of the user base will be on PS5 and XSX, console-wise.

What do you think?

shadyacshuns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3 shadyacshuns
Member since 2007 • 6746 Posts

It's selling like hotcakes in Japan. /twilight zone

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1235 Posts

People are still playing on base PS4 and Xbox one, so there will have to be some parity IMO. It will likely hold the development of new games back throughout the entire gen unless MS insists that games be streamed on it - and it would not be the first time that MS has asked devs to tone down performance on other consoles.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
GoldenElementXL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GoldenElementXL  Online
Member since 2016 • 6039 Posts

If it can't hang on certain titles, they'll have it stream the games like last gen and Flight Sim. The CPU is great, but the RAM compromises I think may be too much in the end. It's freakin SSSSLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW. The GPU is whatever. They can lower the resolution and other settings to make it run. The RAM will be the issue

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3076 Posts

Probably not. I'm more than happy with mine for what I use it for, but I wont be surprised if it's off the market in a few years.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 272 Posts

120fps,ray tracing,Dolby vision 1440p

£250

Bargain

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 13986 Posts

It will have to but by the end of the gen it'll be hitting 720p and/or half frame rates

@simple-facts: Spend the extra £30 and get the PS5, $400 USD = £289 right?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 39749 Posts

I imagine devs will have to grow more familiar with programming for it, but at same time MS needs to strengthen their dev tools to make that scaling between S and X easier. That being said, even I wonder at which point developers might have to leave the Series S behind.

WonderWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WonderWinner

@simple-facts: that's not what this thread is about.

HaH.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17078 Posts

Joebones deactivated his account over buyers remorse. I predict everyone else who buys a Series S will have buyers remorse. For only $100 more you can have a real current gen digital console. The Series S is just Microsoft swindling cheapskates.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 32606 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Joebones deactivated his account over buyers remorse. I predict everyone else who buys a Series S will have buyers remorse. For only $100 more you can have a real current gen digital console. The Series S is just Microsoft swindling cheapskates.

Yea for real, just save some more money lol.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 35595 Posts

I think that it’ll last throughout the gen. Not sure how difficult it’ll be for developers to scale down from the XSX version though.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 32680 Posts

I am not worried about the compromises much. I think the vast majority of games on the series s will end up running at 1080p 30-60fps with the vast majority of next gen features in tact by the end of it's life.

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

In canada the series S is like $120 dollars less than the ps4 digital version. Also most people don't have a tv that can take full advantage of the feature set of the ps5 or xbox series x so the series s would be a better option for those people. The series s is mostly designed for people with 1440p or lower monitors and tv's.

WonderWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WonderWinner

@NathanDrakeSwag: for real? Some guy deactivated over this? 🤣

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17078 Posts

@wonderwinner said:

@NathanDrakeSwag: for real? Some guy deactivated over this? 🤣

Yup. He wasted his money on a Series S and a shitty laptop and tried to justify it until he couldn't take it anymore 😆

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 VFighter  Online
Member since 2016 • 9125 Posts

It can't keep up now, no need to look into a crystal to see it's future.

Avatar image for ghost_of_phobos
Ghost_of_Phobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ghost_of_Phobos
Member since 2020 • 2511 Posts

I think it will drag it self there.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 4092 Posts

How many home consoles do stand the test of time? A few of them and unless the Series S stands out in some way, it will be forgotten within a few generations.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 8634 Posts

@shadyacshuns said:

It's selling like hotcakes in Japan. /twilight zone

Hotcakes must not be very popular then

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 400 Posts

In some ways, yes. I think there will be an upgraded version XSS in a few years when they release mid-gen consoles. The cheaper alternative isn't a terrible idea.

WonderWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WonderWinner

@NathanDrakeSwag: Man, some people really take this stuff way too seriously.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 1103 Posts

Of course. It outperforms the x at 1080p sure to it's CPU and had more than enough horsepower. The ssd and list speeds are going to drive games this gen. Graphics aren't going to improve much at all.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#24 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 52993 Posts

Nope!

Ottyandthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ottyandthedj
Member since 2020 • 94 Posts

Yes it will likely last, I haven't seen any bad reports about it and it seems to be selling well. The Xbox consoles usually have pretty great features to back their games up.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 19436 Posts

I think it'll be around a while. I mean they're still porting games to last gen so it's not really outclassed in the market. Ultimately though the sku may disappear in a few years when they announce the "slim/pro" versions of modern consoles.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 osan0
Member since 2004 • 16388 Posts

I don't think the S targets 1440P max settings. it can do it now for some titles but thats because they are easy to run at 1440P.

i think its more a 1080P machine for people who have 1080P TVs (or just dont care and prefer to save some money). as time goes by i suspect we will even see a lower than 1080P internal resolution then have it upscaled in some fancy way.

its really the graphics that will need to be cut back (which will also drop Vram requirements).

other than that the S should be able to do anything the PS5 and Series X can do.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#28 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30243 Posts

Depends of what you consider to be 'the test of time'.

Series S has a different purpose. It's meant to run PS5/Series X games at lower graphical settings and resolution. By the end of the gen, i wouldn't be surprised if the most demanding games were running at 1080p on PS5/Series X, and something like 720p on Series S, but then again, it's its purpose.

All of them have good CPUs, so i think 60fps on consoles are here to stay. Resolution, especially above 1440p, is damn overrated, though.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 16080 Posts

Maybe thats why MS waited for the full RDNA 2 feature set?

Series S and X include AI machine learning shader cores that can be used to implement a custom form of DLSS for both systems.

When games get to the point where S struggles, they could render at a lower resolution and clean it up with DLSS

https://wccftech.com/xbox-series-xs-advantage-could-lie-in-its-machine-learning-powered-shader-cores-says-quantic-dream/

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 497 Posts

I don't think it will make it Microsoft Flight simulator isn't even on Xbox One X and its roughly equal in power to that console. There is no way it makes it to the end of the gen.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 navyguy21

@zerothehero said:

I don't think it will make it Microsoft Flight simulator isn't even on Xbox One X and its roughly equal in power to that console. There is no way it makes it to the end of the gen.

They have VERY different CPUs.

Flight Simulator is very CPU intensive, even on PC

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 497 Posts

@navyguy21 said:
@zerothehero said:

Flight sim is super Ram important as well and X has way more ram and GPU power for shaders is stronger to in the XB1 X.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 navyguy21

@zerothehero said:
@navyguy21 said:
@zerothehero said:

Flight sim is super Ram important as well and X has way more ram and GPU power for shaders is stronger to in the XB1 X.

Irrelevant in this case (and in most cases) because of how software development works.

Games are built to be GPU scalable, not CPU.

Even 10900k and 5900x are taxed on PC and are FAR better than the Zen 2 cores on consoles but at least modern consoles have modern CPUs.

Last gen used mobile Jaguar cores. Those cores weren't very capable at launch, we are nearly a decade removed from that.

Launching on One X or One S just wasn't going to be possible.

The IPC on Zen 2 alone are multiple generations ahead of Jaguar, not to mention clock speed and scalability

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 39749 Posts

I managed to get a Series S to place in another area of my home outside my bedroom, curious to see how it compares.

Partially as a streaming box because damn the TV and cable box apps are sooo slow, this will be nice. Also, from time to time, to game somewhere else in the home.