Will the PS4 surpass the Wii's lifetime sales?

• 85 results
#1 Posted by Juub1990 (8154 posts) -

At its current pace it's poised to outsell the Wii by 2021. It will likely have continued support for at least another 5 years. When it's all said and done I wouldn't be surprised to see its lifetime sales sit at 105M+. Of course it all depends how big of a chunk the Switch bites from its pie.

That would be pretty crazy. Playsation would have the 3 best selling home consoles of all time. Ironic Nintendo who used to be synonymous with gaming contributed to the birth of the Playstation brand.

#2 Posted by aigis (7354 posts) -

I highly doubt it tbh, it will do well, but not that well

#3 Posted by GarGx1 (10267 posts) -

Will Switch?

#4 Posted by DaVillain- (31935 posts) -

Anything's possible.

#5 Posted by DeepH (719 posts) -

Yes and with ease at that. I predict that the PS4 could end up with about 120m.

#6 Posted by judaspete (2592 posts) -

It should. PS1 and 2 both did. PS3 had a rocky first few years and still got close to 90 million.

#7 Edited by KBFloYd (20517 posts) -

seeing as they are giving them away at 199.... its possible

i think that's how they achieved 150million with the ps2. selling the last 50 million during the 360/ps3 gen by basically giving them away at 99$

that's why nintendo in the wii era and now in the switch era always achieve a higher peak of wealth than sony. because they don't give their shit away. their stuff holds value and nets them more money.

#8 Posted by Shewgenja (20639 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

i think that's how they achieved 150million with the ps2. selling the last 50 million during the 360/ps3 gen by basically giving them away at 99$

that's why nintendo in the wii era and now in the switch era are always achieve a higher peak of wealth than sony. because they don't give their shit away. their stuff holds value and nets them more money.

And that's also why they traditionally did lousy with third party, because getting off the shelf pushes software sales.

#9 Edited by DeepH (719 posts) -
@KBFloYd said:

that's why nintendo in the wii era and now in the switch era are always achieve a higher peak of wealth than sony. because they don't give their shit away. their stuff holds value and nets them more money.

Thats because Nintendos trash is overpriced from day 1 and even selling at $99 they make good profit.

Its good to know that honest companies like Sony are there for gamers.

#10 Posted by Archangel3371 (25797 posts) -

Well anything is possible but I kind of doubt that they will reach the Wii’s sales numbers.

#11 Edited by Needhealing (1876 posts) -

Lol you saw the ps4 sells 70 million units and made a similar thread, okay.

If Sony launches ps4 in late 2019 - 2020, yup. They will hit 85 million next year and 100 million the year after. Only would need 1 million more.

And Microsoft how much have they sold? 10 million? Lol.

#12 Posted by PAL360 (29250 posts) -

It will, and i say fall 2019.

#13 Posted by tubbyc (3975 posts) -

Easily. PlayStations tend to sell well for an extremely long time with extended support and price drops, and with the way the PS4 is going, outselling the Wii will be a pushover.

Also, even though the Switch is doing well, I don't see it as a substitute for the PS4 and can't see it hurting its sales.

#14 Edited by xantufrog (9655 posts) -

I think so. But I think it will peter off around that mark. It's a freight train, no doubt, but I think the rate of change in hardware demands in the market is accelerating as pc and consoles share the same architecture. Before, consoles were something that sold in parallel with the pc, whereas now they sell largely the same games along the same horsepower continuum. That means dated console hardware doesnt age as well (hence the midgen refreshes to keep the brand current)

#15 Posted by I_P_Daily (9004 posts) -

@deeph said:
@KBFloYd said:

Thats because Nintendos trash is overpriced from day 1 and even selling at $99 they make good profit.

Its good to know that honest companies like Sony are there for gamers.

#16 Posted by emgesp (7601 posts) -

More than Wii is definietly possible.

#17 Posted by emgesp (7601 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

Well anything is possible but I kind of doubt that they will reach the Wii’s sales numbers.

Its already sold 70+ million in the matter of 4 yrs, and it will continue selling well into 2020+. In 3 yrs time it will definitely be in the 100+ million sold range.

#18 Posted by indzman (27735 posts) -

@PAL360 said:

It will, and i say fall 2019.

#19 Posted by SecretPolice (33817 posts) -

Perhaps, they both catered to the most casual of casuals with PS Bore having movie games, walking sims, and QTE fests soccer moms love and just like Wii, some years from now the Bore will be thought of as the biggest waste of money so yeah, maybe. lol :P

#20 Posted by Archangel3371 (25797 posts) -

@emgesp: Yeah it’ll continue to sell and will have certainly done well over its lifetime but I just don’t see it reaching Wii numbers though.

#21 Edited by QuadKnight (12918 posts) -

It will outsell the Wii. By this time next year it will be sitting at 90 million sold (Sony is selling about 20 million a year on average and their numbers are going slightly up every year). The Wii is at a little over 100 million and it would have sold more had the fad not ended. PS4 isn't a fad so chances of it sales falling off a cliff in 2 years time are non-existent. It should outsell the Wii with ease, and it will be the the second best selling console of all time behind the PS2.

#22 Posted by Techhog89 (2866 posts) -

Yes, easily. It'll likely finish in the 120-130 million range.

@GarGx1 said:

Will Switch?

No. Demand has been met already, so Switch will sell like 3DS at best and N64 at worst.

#23 Posted by Nike_Air (19242 posts) -

If I had to bet , I would say yes.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
#24 Edited by APiranhaAteMyVa (4043 posts) -

Definitely, 40 million over next 2 years hitting 110 million, and then will continue to sell after PS5 releases in likely 2020.

#25 Edited by emgesp (7601 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

@emgesp: Yeah it’ll continue to sell and will have certainly done well over its lifetime but I just don’t see it reaching Wii numbers though.

Why? Wii sold 102 million units. The PS1 sold more than that. PS4 will easily outsell both Wii and PS1. Its already tracking better than the PS1 did at the same time frame.

#26 Posted by Archangel3371 (25797 posts) -

@emgesp: Because I think sales for the PS4 will naturally dwindle and sales for the Switch and Xbox One X will eat into a bit.

#27 Posted by emgesp (7601 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

@emgesp: Because I think sales for the PS4 will naturally dwindle and sales for the Switch and Xbox One X will eat into a bit.

PS4 saw 40% growth YOY for November sales. Sure, sales will eventually dwindle like every other console, but again 70+ million sold in only 4 yrs is huge and sales aren't likely to slow slow down anytime soon. Unless Sony does something really stupid the PS4 will end up becoming the 2nd best selling console of all time.

#28 Edited by Archangel3371 (25797 posts) -

@emgesp: Well I just think that it’ll start to slow down in the next year or so. I think it’ll end up at 90+ million in its lifetime.

#29 Posted by emgesp (7601 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

@emgesp: Well I just think that it’ll start to slow down in the next year or so. I think it’ll end up at 90+ million in its lifetime.

So you think it will only sell another 20 - 25 million units in the next 4 yrs? No offense, but what could possibly happen for sales to drop off that quickly, especially when prices will only get lower. You do realize that PS4 sold 20 million in 2017 and 2018 will be even a bigger year in terms of 1st party games with such titles as God of War, Spider Man, Days Gone, Kingdom Hearts 3, Shadow of the Colossus and possibly TLOU 2. So, your 20 - 25 million units sold in the next 4 yrs makes absolutely no sense. PS4 will be at 90+ million sold by the end of 2018.

#30 Edited by Archangel3371 (25797 posts) -

@emgesp: Well like I already said I think sales will eventually decline in the next year or so and other systems will eat into them as well. Kingdom Hearts 3 isn’t an exclusive game either.

#31 Posted by emgesp (7601 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

@emgesp: Well like I already said I think sales will eventually decline in the next year or so and other systems will eat into them as well.

You keep saying that, but don't give an explaination. Why would sales decline anytime soon when 2018 looks to be the best year the PS4 has seen yet in terms of 1st party games?

Do you have some anti Playstation agenda, because sales trends are showing otherwise.

#32 Edited by Archangel3371 (25797 posts) -

@emgesp: Because sales eventually decline as most people who wanted the system eventually end up having got one already and other people opt to get other systems instead. I already gave you that explanation and I give it to you again now. You seem to be getting pretty salty over a simple opinion on a completely opinion based topic. Sheesh.

#33 Posted by tormentos (27696 posts) -

I remember several poster who claimed the PS4 would not reach 100 million lol..

#34 Posted by airraidjet (834 posts) -

Easily.

PS4 will surpass both Wii and PS1's lifetime sales, both were just over 100M worldwide.

I think PS4 will end up selling between 115 and 120 million, but still far short of PS2's 155~160M.

#35 Edited by tormentos (27696 posts) -

https://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/117399/playstation_2_shipments_hit_70_million/

For comparison sake the PS2 arrived at 70 million a month + before its 4th year,alto this 70 million number by the PS2 was shipped not sold to consumer like the PS4.

Which mean the PS4 could be basically tracking spot on with PS2 sales,it should surpass 100 millions with ease.

#36 Posted by emgesp (7601 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

@emgesp: Because sales eventually decline as most people who wanted the system eventually end up having got one already and other people opt to get other systems instead. I already gave you that explanation and I give it to you again now. You seem to be getting pretty salty over a simple opinion on a completely opinion based topic. Sheesh.

Salty? I'm stating facts about sales trends while you just seem to want to see the PS4 decline in sales at an irrationaly fast rate. Yes, I agree sales with eventually decline, but not in 2018 it won't. Too many exclusives and awesome third party games like RDR2 will keep the momentum going through 2018. Again, you think 90+ million sold in 2021 I'm saying we will see that by the end of 2018. Again, 20 million units sold this year and there wasn't a lot of exclusives released. 2018 will be a much bigger year in terms of exclusives.

#37 Posted by Archangel3371 (25797 posts) -

@emgesp: Yes you do seem to be getting salty when you start questioning if I have some sort of anti PlayStation “agenda”. Now your saying that I “want” to see the PS4 decline at an “irrationally” fast rate? Um yeah alrighty then. lol

I gave my opinion on an opinion based topic. Maybe I’m right maybe I’m wrong, time will tell.

Also Red Dead Redemption 2, just like Kingdom Hearts 3, will be on other more powerful systems so perhaps people will opt to play them there instead. Time will tell.

#38 Posted by tormentos (27696 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

@emgesp: Yes you do seem to be getting salty when you start questioning if I have some sort of anti PlayStation “agenda”. Now your saying that I “want” to see the PS4 decline at an “irrationally” fast rate? Um yeah alrighty then. lol

I gave my opinion on an opinion based topic. Maybe I’m right maybe I’m wrong, time will tell.

Also Red Dead Redemption 2, just like Kingdom Hearts 3, will be on other more powerful systems so perhaps people will opt to play them there instead. Time will tell.

Hahahahaaa if that was true the xbox one X would have been the best selling system this November..lol

#40 Posted by EG101 (1848 posts) -

I think it will but if it doesn't it'll get pretty close imo.

#41 Posted by Archangel3371 (25797 posts) -

@tormentos: Maybe they will maybe they won’t but again time will tell as those games aren’t even out yet.

#42 Edited by BIack_Goku (724 posts) -

Easily. At the current pace the PS4 will pass it in 2 years and it's very likely the PS4 will continue to sell well after that similar to the PS2. The only systems it won't beat are the NDS and PS2.

The PS4 managed to absorb the momentum of the X1X and Switch and actually did better than last year. Nothing's stopping it at this point, especially with the software lineup they have for the next 2 years.

#43 Posted by emgesp (7601 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

You aren't just wrong, but way wrong. Expecting the PS4 to only sell another 20 million units from now until the end of its life makes zero sense when just in 2017 it sold that much. Yes, in 2018 the PS4 will have the worst year yet in terms of sales even though it will have one of if not the the best year for exclusives, makes so much sense. If you are going to have an opinion make it an educated one at least.

#44 Posted by Archangel3371 (25797 posts) -

@emgesp: Oh well. Stay triggered. LMFAO

#45 Posted by emgesp (7601 posts) -

@Archangel3371: Stay ignorant, LMFAO.

#46 Posted by Archangel3371 (25797 posts) -

@emgesp: So much butthurt. LMFAO

#47 Posted by Ant_17 (11489 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:
@KBFloYd said:

And that's also why they traditionally did lousy with third party, because getting off the shelf pushes software sales.

And why Europe ranks it along day care toys.

#48 Edited by emgesp (7601 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

@emgesp: So much butthurt. LMFAO

Its not butthurt to state facts. You formed an uneducated opinion. Don't be lazy and stop ignoring sales trends. Saying sales will decline doesn't say much since that happens to every console eventually, but you won't even give a good reason why besides the fact that XB1X and Switch exist, yet don't take into consideration the fact that the PS4 just outsold both in the month of November.

#49 Posted by Archangel3371 (25797 posts) -

@emgesp: Wow, so salty. It’s an OPINION. I never said that it was going to go belly up and die next month or even next year. I simply said that I don’t think that it will quite reach the sales of the Wii. I’m not trying to pass this on as some kind of fact. I’ve clearly said that I could be right or I could be wrong. I’ve already stated why I think that this MIGHT happen. You clearly feel differently. Good for you but move on already. Sheesh.

#50 Edited by emgesp (7601 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

@emgesp: Wow, so salty. It’s an OPINION. I never said that it was going to go belly up and die next month or even next year. I simply said that I don’t think that it will quite reach the sales of the Wii. I’m not trying to pass this on as some kind of fact. I’ve clearly said that I could be right or I could be wrong. I’ve already stated why I think that this MIGHT happen. You clearly feel differently. Good for you but move on already. Sheesh.

All you said was the existense of XB1X and Switch is why it probably won't happen. You say 90+ million sold in its lifetime, but how can you ignore the fact that its 90% likely the PS4 will sellaround 90 million by the end of 2018? The XB1X is a non factor when it comes to PS4 continuing to sell tons of units as its a premium $500 device for enthusaists and the Switch is in its own market entirely. Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, but your opinion doesn't make any sense and you can't back it up with rational reasons why you disagree.

Even if PS4 peaks in sales in 2018 it will still continue to sell millions of units well into 2019 and 2020. 110 million units sold within its lifetime is closer to reality based on the fact that PS4 is currently tracking PS2 level sales.

Not to mention with the exception of Black Friday the PS4 still hasn't hit a Official $199.99 price point yet. Come on dude, use your brain.