Will the Next Box be victim of the 'third console curse'?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rob-Belmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Rob-Belmont
Member since 2009 • 1350 Posts

I'm sure most of you are aware how Nintendo lost their posistion as industry leader with their third console, the N64 and so did Sony, also with their third console, the PS3.

Now Microsoft have never been industry leader, apart from early on this generation, so it's not like if they can bomb as badly as Sony and Nintendo did. But they could pull a SEGA and come last place like SEGA did with their third console, the Saturn.

Now I'm sure most of you would agree that the PS3 and N64 are both brilliant systems despite being less popular than their predessecors, and for those of you that actually have a Saturn, also agree that it was a brilliant console.

So could it happen to Microsoft? Could the Next Box be a huge dissapointment and end up in third place? Disscuss

OPuniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 OPuniverse
Member since 2009 • 1943 Posts
it's possible. But still too early to tell tho, we'll have to wait and see.
dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

wed have to wait and see, although I must admit it would be hilariously ironic if that did happen.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Probably all the Companies that had their third console had a curse their. Sony dropping to 3rd place from 1st, Nintendo dropping to 2nd place and losing 3rd party developers, SEGA dropping from 2nd place to 3rd place, Atari failing with the 7800 after practically dominating with the 2600 and 5200. So Microsoft could be next. People thought the PS3 wouldn't be a victim to the 3rd Console Curse.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
It won't be a huge disappointment but third place, yeah probably.
enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
The N64 nor the PS3 bombed. I'm not buying anything at launch anyway, though I will certainly have Nintendo's next-gen console, as Nintendo is an absolute MUST.
spencer_119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 spencer_119
Member since 2004 • 1027 Posts

its a possibilty but who knows

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

I'm sure most of you are aware how Nintendo lost their posistion as industry leader with their third console, the N64 and so did Sony, also with their third console, the PS3.

Now Microsoft have never been industry leader, apart from early on this generation, so it's not like if they can bomb as badly as Sony and Nintendo did. But they could pull a SEGA and come last place like SEGA did with their third console, the Saturn.

Now I'm sure most of you would agree that the PS3 and N64 are both brilliant systems despite being less popular than their predessecors, and for those of you that actually have a Saturn, also agree that it was a brilliant console.

So could it happen to Microsoft? Could the Next Box be a huge dissapointment and end up in third place? Disscuss

Rob-Belmont

sega saturn was their 4th system and they didnt actually bomb until they hit dreamcast, their fifth system.

Avatar image for AdmiralWolverin
AdmiralWolverin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AdmiralWolverin
Member since 2009 • 479 Posts
i doubt it it will be pretty hard for sony to recover from this gen so unless they drop out all together and a new comptitor like apple joins in, im pretty sure microsoft wont come lower than 2nd next gen (or at least, lower by a lot, it might be a close call)
dRuGGeRnaUt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dRuGGeRnaUt
Member since 2006 • 1637 Posts
The N64 nor the PS3 bombed. I'm not buying anything at launch anyway, though I will certainly have Nintendo's next-gen console, as Nintendo is an absolute MUST.enterawesome
So even if they make something that is COMPLETE garbage(*AHEM* virtual boy anyone??) you will buy it quote "BECAUSE NINTENDO IS A MUST" people like you are the reason that companies can put out crap, they know the die hard will buy anything with their label on it. haha As far as the 3rd console curse, I would say after all the crap that MS had to deal with (rrod, e74, etc.) they will be ALOT more careful this next gen.. I LOVE my box and there is NO WAY IN HELL i will be buying the next MS console when it comes out, I'm waiting to see a "PROVEN AND REAL" failure rate report. And about sony, I think they will be more cautious too, they lost too much money for too long on the PS3 to do that game again. And as far as nintendo, I think they will realize that (hopefully) this next gen, HD graphics, dvd/cd playback, and PRICE DROPS along with 3rd party software support is important.. apparrently it wasn't to them this gen. FYI: I own a 360 and a wii, so don't say i am a fanboy.. almost all the games i have bought for my wii are off the virtual console
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

It would have to have lead at least a generation for this to happen.

Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nintendo_Ownes7

Ragnarok1051

Not really SEGA never led a generation and they still fell victim of it.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

[QUOTE="Ragnarok1051"]

Nintendo_Ownes7

I thought the genesis beat the snes? Not sure, I was so young back then I hardly played either of them :lol:

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

[QUOTE="Ragnarok1051"]

Nintendo_Ownes7

How can you fall victim to something that you're already in?
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nintendo_Ownes7

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

[QUOTE="Ragnarok1051"]

dragonfly110

I thought the genesis beat the snes? Not sure, I was so young back then I hardly played either of them :lol:

The Genesis was ahead of the SNES but by the end of the Gen the SNES beat it over all the Genesis one in America.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
I think I'd be a little worried if I was a MS exec and I was supersitious!
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nintendo_Ownes7

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

[QUOTE="Ragnarok1051"]

Ragnarok1051

How can you fall victim to something that you're already in?

They could do worse then 2nd Place because at the time of SEGA vs. Nintendo their was five consoles out. Seven consoles when the Saturn was in 3rd place.

RobisGodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RobisGodly
Member since 2009 • 272 Posts

N64 failed because they refused to use discs and went with cartridges instead.

PS3 failed(?) because they tried to turn the PS3 into the entertainment center and forgot about the developers. Luckily, they have the best first party out of the big 3 so even though most third party developers don't like to develop for it, they're still getting great games.

As long as Microsoft doesn't try to turn the Next Box into a dumbed down, closed PC and not alienate developers, they should be good. Oh, and no $600 price.

If Microsoft fails they deserve to fail. They see what Nintendo and Sony have done wrong so they have no excuse to mess up.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts
I would say if any company could buck the "curse" it would be MS. The reasoning is simple: Microsoft is willing to lose billions and billions of dollars to maintain and grow marketshare. Their philosophy in all markets has been to copy and improve upon the existing formats they will be competing with, then slash prices and massively market their new entry in an effort to scare the other companies away that actually have to worry about a bottom line. It doesn't always work, but it's worked often enough for them and if they were to find themselves in a deep hole next gen, they'd price themselves right back into it. MS knows their OS money train is being taken away by cloud computing in a networked world. They need other markets to provide them with business in the future. And they'll use the money from the OS business now to insure they are dominating SOME other market in the future.
2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

as long as MS has the money to buy 3rd party support, the 3rd console will be a success .

mazdero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mazdero
Member since 2002 • 1754 Posts

I think the curse only works if you are 1st place for 2 generations in a row. MS has yet to reach 1st place. Maybe next gen they will finally get there.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

Could the Next Box be a huge dissapointment and end up in third place? Disscuss

Rob-Belmont

Obviously it's a possibility, but even if it happens it won't be because it's their third console. Correlation does not mean casuation.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

I think the curse only works if you are 1st place for 2 generations in a row. MS has yet to reach 1st place. Maybe next gen they will finally get there.

mazdero
It happened to Sega too, I'm pretty sure the Saturn was less succesful than the previous two.
mazdero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mazdero
Member since 2002 • 1754 Posts

[QUOTE="mazdero"]

Floppy_Jim

It happened to Sega too, I'm pretty sure the Saturn was less succesful than the previous two.

What happened to Sega was different. Sega tried way too hard to get to 1st place at all costs and ended up screwing themselves. I don't see MS making those same types of mistakes. Both Nintendo and Sony were guilty of the same thing when they lost their reigns at the top, arrogance.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#27 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
Well, um, yeah. Let's have a quick recapitulation of our gaming history, shall we? ATARI was succesful for two generation woth their first two consoles, the 2600 and the 5200, but they bombed after that so bad that they still haven't recovered. NINTENDO ruled the roost for two generations. The NES was the undisputed king, and the SNES persevered even in the face of imense competition from SEGA and their Genesis. The N64 bombed hard, if compared to the previous two, but even then, it managed to garner a lot of capital for Nintendo. SEGA's most succesful system was the Genesis but even the Master System did pretty well for itself outside of Japan. Their third system, the Saturn, bombed so hard that Sega eventually crashed out of the console race altogether. SONY was doing so well with the PSOne and PS2, they were nigh invincible. But then along came the PS3, which messed Sony up so bad, that Sony's gaming division takes a hit every month, software sales are abysmal (unlike the N64, or, to an extent, even the Saturn, which at the very least boasted of impressive software sales). I think Microsoft's position can be equated and likened most to SEGA, since they never were market leaders in the first place. But, I do hope history does not repeat itself anymore. Why can't we have three great consoles, all locked in an evenly contested battle for the top? As a sidenote, anyone ever notice that both, Sony and Nintendo's falls were foretold by 'portable' system? The PSP and the Virtual Boy respectively???
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#28 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
That's superstitious. Microsoft has a lot of momentum, and I will be surprised if they can't keep it rolling next gen. Though if Natal is a big failure, that could trip them up. We'll see.