Will the alienwarex51 have a future home with console gamers?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

accesdenied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 accesdenied
Member since 2008 • 485 Posts

quite frankly I stumble on this by accident, I saw a picture comparison (size) with and xbox 360 and the alienware x51. So I started looking into this and the base model starts at $699, im thinking the new consoles coming out ps4 (orbis) and xbox (unnamed) will once again be at $600 at release. I also notice the current trend of many game companies porting their game to pc (batman arkham city, ssf4, even ff7). Im sure that a secong generation alienware x51 will be release at the time the new consoles are release and with a logitech controller im thinking the alienware will be a better "console" buy. thoughts?

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11815 Posts

All I know is that a few console only gamers already got convinced start PC gaming by it. The systems seem pretty capable of whatever gets thrown at them.

I plan on buying one

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

lol noodle.

and no one is tricked into buying trash made by alienware any pc gamer that thinks they are good is stupid.

DethSkematik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

#4 DethSkematik
Member since 2008 • 3900 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't mind having one if I didn't already own a desktop :P. I mean, Alienware desktops and laptops have always looked nice and flashy, and at least the X51 doesn't weigh 40 pounds (I kid you not, I saw a display for the Aurora at a Best Buy once) and too massive to really fit anywhere :P.
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NoodleFighter

lol noodle.

and no one is tricked into buying trash made by alienware any pc gamer that thinks they are good is stupid.

WilliamRLBaker

Before I use to hate AlienWare and avoid it, but I'm going to make an acception for this product.

ih4tefanboys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ih4tefanboys
Member since 2012 • 57 Posts

Nope, consolites are cheap b astards who want a super computer or console hardware to costs only $300 maxed, but would gladly buy every g od d amn overpriced BS games @ $60.

Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

im thinking the new consoles coming out ps4 (orbis) and xbox (unnamed) will once again be at $600 at release.

accesdenied

Why would any company do that? That price tag was nothing but trouble for Sony.

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 soapandbubbles
Member since 2010 • 3412 Posts

lol noodle.

WilliamRLBaker
Trash, what trash? For a console unit with the hardware..it could hold, it's anything but trash. Stop being a fanboy.
soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 soapandbubbles

[QUOTE="accesdenied"]

im thinking the new consoles coming out ps4 (orbis) and xbox (unnamed) will once again be at $600 at release.

Kickinurass

People will pay if the quality is there, Sony over promised before the PS3 debut. It rid many features and with the bluray drive many thought useless back then..you couldn't blame them for being cautious.
accesdenied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 accesdenied
Member since 2008 • 485 Posts

[QUOTE="accesdenied"]

Kickinurass

just speculation It's not for sure lol I dont work sony or microsoft. however all system on release are expensive.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
i want dat case if it supposed dual 460 sli i move around lots
DarkOfKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DarkOfKnight
Member since 2011 • 2543 Posts
Not for $700. I am not willing to pay that price for such a thing. If I did get a new computer, it would be something a little more poweful.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

i want dat case if it supposed dual 460 sli i move around lotsJigglyWiggly_
haha no.. jiggly that machine uses mobile graphics chips. thats how tiny it is. base model has a gt555m (equal to an 8800gts with dx11)

Nohtnym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nohtnym
Member since 2010 • 1552 Posts

Why people buy alienware pc's. They are overpriced, you pay alot of money for alienware name and logo.

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 soapandbubbles

Why people buy alienware pc's. They are overpriced, you pay alot of money for alienware name and logo.

Nohtnym
would love an alienware console..their design always looks sweet and packs a punch, hardware-wise. As for PC's an obvious skip.
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NoodleFighter

Nohtnym

I've done a price comparison with custom builts using similar specs and in terms of USD they're aren't as overpriced as they use to be. About a $200 difference with the Auroras and about a $100-$50 with the X51s

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NoodleFighter

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]i want dat case if it supposed dual 460 sli i move around lotsionusX

haha no.. jiggly that machine uses mobile graphics chips. thats how tiny it is. base model has a gt555m (equal to an 8800gts with dx11)

It doesn't use laptop parts it uses desktop parts........... People seem to be unaware there are desktop versions of the GTX 555 and GT 545

05271_620x463.jpg

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

Nope, consolites are cheap b astards who want a super computer or console hardware to costs only $300 maxed, but would gladly buy every g od d amn overpriced BS games @ $60.

ih4tefanboys
That's the business plan. The initial purchase is sold at a loss, with the extra fees making it up (and then some) over time. I can't imagine there are a lot of consolites who AREN'T aware of how that process works.
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

Im buyin a Alienware x51 in a week or two. It just looks so awesome. Getting the top model with blu-ray. It should be able to keep up with current games for at least 5 years.

EZs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 EZs
Member since 2005 • 1573 Posts

Im buyin a Alienware x51 in a week or two. It just looks so awesome. Getting the top model with blu-ray. It should be able to keep up with current games for at least 5 years.

slipknot0129
5 years? lol no way. Indie PC games maybe.
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

EZs

It should be able to if you upgrade the graphics card. Cpu's from 5 years ago can still play modern games with a good graphics card.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I think the X51 will become more feasible as low and mid-range cards get better both in performance, power requirements, and heat dissipation. I guess the X51 would be fine for lighter PC gaming.

It's definitely not for the "slide everything to the right or pick the highest number" graphics settings crowd.

granddogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 granddogg
Member since 2006 • 731 Posts

[QUOTE="EZs"][QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

slipknot0129

It should be able to if you upgrade the graphics card. Cpu's from 5 years ago can still play modern games with a good graphics card.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Is this a Alienware version of the Fragbox?

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

It's pricey for what you get, but at the same time, it gives people pretty much what they expect from a console like experience.

You buy it, and you plug it in, and that's pretty much it. You log into steam and start downloading games. Once the TV GUI for Steam comes out, that "console like" couch exprience, becomes that much easier on the PC. Which is a good thing. It's what PC is all about. Options.

I personally have a cutting edge rig, so it doesn't interest me, but I've got friend and fmaily already asking me about it.

As long as it's upgreadable I don't think it's a bad buy. It gives you better than cosnole gmaing performance, plus everythign else a Pc does.

I would still recommend people build their own PC's but that simply not an option for everyone.

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

lol noodle.

NoodleFighter

Before I use to hate AlienWare and avoid it, but I'm going to make an acception for this product.

hate alienware wtf? imo they are some cool looking products , you may not afford it and hate it because of that but that doesnt make the systems worse, after all they are using the same standard parts as any hi end PC :P
AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AmnesiaHaze

Nohtnym
why people buy apple products , they are overpriced, you pay alot of money for that apple logo
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#28 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
I think the X51 makes a fine secondary computer linked to your tv in a console-like fashion, but as far as being a primary pc in your household, no. Personally, I don't want my main PC on my TV, and if I did for whatever reason, I could just move it.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#29 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

lol noodle.

AmnesiaHaze

hate alienware wtf? imo they are some cool looking products , you may not afford it and hate it because of that but that doesnt make the systems worse, after all they are using the same standard parts as any hi end PC :P

To me it comes down to this: what looks cooler? The PC case, or the games you can play on a higher end system for the same amount of money? The $700 X51 most certainly does NOT use the same parts as a high end PC. Midrange at best, and that will only be the case for another year or two. After no time it will be a TV email machine and a way to play yesterday's games.

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AmnesiaHaze
To me it comes down to this: what looks cooler? The PC case, or the games you can play on a higher end system for the same amount of money? donalbane
thats a reasonable statement , you can obviously find or build systems with better performance/price ratio, however hating or calling it trash because its more expensive is ridulous , i agree that they have high margins but which premium brand hasn't
AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AmnesiaHaze
[QUOTE="AmnesiaHaze"][QUOTE="donalbane"]To me it comes down to this: what looks cooler? The PC case, or the games you can play on a higher end system for the same amount of money? donalbane
thats a reasonable statement , you can obviously find or build systems with better performance/price ratio, however hating or calling it trash because its more expensive is ridulous , i agree that they have high margins but which premium brand hasn't

To most hardcore PC people, 'premium' is defined by the gaming performance, not the packaging. Spending money on packaging is fine for some, but if you wanted to know why others hate alienware, it's because almost everyone is on a fixed budget, and cares more about performance and longevity than how the case looks.

i beg to differ , hardcore pc gamers do care about the packaging even more , thats why they mod their cases and spend even more than a alienware for those custom mod cases , and honestly i dont care why someone hates alienware , but if someone has to post in every alienware related thread how much they suck it must be frustration of not being able to afford such product imo
xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]i want dat case if it supposed dual 460 sli i move around lotsionusX

Dude you need to look your sh*t up seriously. Pictures have already been provided as well and these are just small form factor cases and it looks like Dell/Alienware is fitting it with a slot loading connection instead of making them use low profile GPU's.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]i want dat case if it supposed dual 460 sli i move around lotsNoodleFighter

It doesn't use laptop parts it uses desktop parts........... People seem to be unaware there are desktop versions of the GTX 555 and GT 545

05271_620x463.jpg

It's because 545 and 555 are OEM and can't be bought.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#35 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

A $700 console wouldn't fly.

It really doesn't have much of a future.