Will Sony buy Square-Enix? Rumors swirling again!

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Will Sony buy Square-Enix? Rumors swirling again! (49 votes)

Yes 39%
No 61%

https://www.psu.com/news/rumour-sony-could-be-looking-to-buy-square-enix/

According to Greg Miller in the most recent PS I Love You podcast, he had heard from multiple sources that Sony was looking at buying Square Enix.

Miller does qualify this though, saying that he heard this rumour prior to The Embracer Group’sannouncement of its acquisition of Eidos Montreal, Square Enix Montreal, and Crystal Dynamics.

He explains that he’s unsure if what he heard meant Sony was also potentially up to acquire Square’s three internal western studios, or if they are still looking at buying Square Enix as a whole.

“When I talked about the three rumours I had heard, and one was an acquisition, this was the one I had heard. I had heard that PlayStationwas acquiring Square, and I had heard that from multiple different sources. Is it happening or is it not? Was it just scuttlebutt…You’re hearing things third, fourth, fifth hand”

Miller points out that the possibility of it is still real, in the sense that if 2022 has taught us anything, is to expect unexpected acquisitions, particularly big ones.

We know that Sony is nowhere done with acquisitions, and with all the PS5 exclusive titles coming from Square, it could very well be on the table.

We know Sony is looking to make more acquisitions. Square would definitely give Sony more variety in its first party. Final Fantasy would be huge. Also, we know Sony likes live service games and FF14 would scratch that itch for sure. Do you think Sony will buy Square-Enix, SW?

• 
Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

No, Square already sold off its big Western style studios. All thats left is a bunch of Japanese type games that sell poorly and that Sony has no interest in. Sony is extremely stupid, they could have bought all those awesome companies for super cheap, instead they bought Bungie. How stupid can one get.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

They might as well considering how many console exclusives they're getting out of them.

FF14 Online, Valkyrie Elysium, Babylon's Fall, FF7R, Forspoken, and FF16.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44150 Posts

No, I don’t think so. Their current arrangement seems beneficial enough.

Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nonstop-Madness

@mesome713: What's gives you the impression they aren't interested in them? PlayStation has moneyhatted Square *hard* the last few years.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

@Nonstop-Madness: Cause Sony has closed all its Japanese style studios. You think Sony is stupid enough to pay big money for a bunch of crappy Japanese franchises and FF? They already have exclusive rights to FF, the only game that sells. But FF doesnt sell enough compared to how expensive and how long it takes to make one. We get like one FF each gen. FF 7 Remake sold like 3 million opening weekend. Do you know how much money that game cost to make? Sony is extremely stupid, but not stupid enough to buy FF a game people dont care for anymore.

Sony is stupid, they could have bought Square before they sold all their good franchises. Now Square has nothing left to offer. Only a fool would buy them now.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56088 Posts

SE tends to go wherever the money's good for them rather it be MS or Sony. The higher the money they go whoever pays for timely exclusives, that's the nature of SE. I doubt they wouldn't want to be bought by anyone and they make more money from multiple publishers.

Not saying Sony won't buy SE but I doubt SE doesn't want to be locked into one publisher.

Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nonstop-Madness

@mesome713:

PlayStation has spent plenty of money on securing Japanese games from Square so why is it outside of the realm of possibility that they'd be interested in whole pot of Japanese games?

It's clear that they value what Square still produces and, that's all that matters.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

I really hope not. SE is the bottom of the barrel trash from Japan. Why would anybody buy them? Massive waste of money if they do. Its like buying Ubisoft🤮

Kojima Productions is what i'd be aiming if i were them, and that is not to say that i am for Sony acquiring them.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6864 Posts

@mesome713 said:

No, Square already sold off its big Western style studios. All thats left is a bunch of Japanese type games that sell poorly and that Sony has no interest in. Sony is extremely stupid, they could have bought all those awesome companies for super cheap, instead they bought Bungie. How stupid can one get.

Lol wtf are you talking about? FF sales more then anything the western studios they had ever produced.

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Miyomatic
Member since 2005 • 3541 Posts

On one hand, hell yeah I hope it happens. On the other hand, Square games belong on Switch. Imagine if they ACTUALLY remake FF Tactics!?!? Switch purchase day -1.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#12 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

If Square was smart, they DON'T do it. They and Nintendo have been trying to rebuild these past few gens. Sony buys them, that relationship is done for good, just like EVO. Plus, just look at the major, MAJOR backlash the Activision buyout is garnering for MS.

Also, f*** consolidation. This should not be normalized on any circumstance.

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@mesome713: I agree ff7r cost $200 million to make. It sold 5 million copies. So SE made maybe $100 million on the game so far. I mean its not bad revenue wise. But SE has tons of developers on the payroll. SE is able to pull it off by selling tons of games across various platforms. They sell millions of copies of games, on pc, switch and Xbox. If sony purchased SE, they will need to continue doing this to make it profitable.

Honestly speaking, MS should just buy up SE to screw over sony. Or at least drive up the price to make it more and more painful for them. It's called poison pill. Too bad the racist Japanese have laws against foreign acquisition.

...I'm sorry?

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

Hey TC, how about we call a truce for a time being and start a campaign to lobby Sony for this acquisition?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#14 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

Not much would change but I was told Sony doesn't buy publishers so 🤷

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

Square is falling as much as Konami imo, they will be doing Pachinko's and shiz in japan. FF and DQ Pachinko's soon.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7231 Posts

I think it would be the best possible fit for square enix Sony get a lot of exclusives as it is.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

@Pedro said:

Maybe if a 3 trillion dollar company didn't start money hatting the industry things would be different 😎

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Archangel3371  Online

@SolidGame_basic: That stuff was happening long before then. They just had a bigger wallet then everyone else. 😎

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Could Sony afford Square? How much are they worth?

Also, is that really what Square wants? To be permanently limited to one company? Not sure about that.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SolidGame_basic

@Archangel3371: $80 billion on two major publishers 😎

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Archangel3371  Online

@SolidGame_basic: Like I said, it was happening before but Microsoft has a bigger wallet. 😎

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Archangel3371  Online

@HalcyonScarlet: Indeed. I don’t think that Square-Enix is all that interested in selling. They seem to prefer to shop they’re games around to various platforms and services.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#23 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@Pedro said:

Maybe if a 3 trillion dollar company didn't start money hatting the industry things would be different 😎

What? 😂

Sony has been money-hatting since before Microsoft even entered the gaming console space. Microsoft just has deeper pockets.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SolidGame_basic

anyone with common sense knows Sony didn't spend $80 billion to buy up chunks of the market😎

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PC_Rocks

Anyone with a brain knows Sony never had $80 billion to spend, hence the jealousy.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#26 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

Anyone with common sense would know that Sony would be making similar moves if they had the cash, but they don't, so they make smaller moves. Just look at all of the other acquisitions they've made as of late. Sony isn't any less buy-happy than Microsoft is. If anything, I'd say they're even MORE so than Microsoft. See: All of the third-party exclusives they've gotten from the likes of Activision (Call of Duty and Destiny deals from the PS4 days), Square-Enix (FF7 Remake, Forspoken, plenty of others) and even companies Microsoft owns now (Ghostwire Tokyo, Deathloop, among others). Don't act like Sony doesn't throw money around as aggressively as Microsoft.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Pedro

@SolidGame_basic: You have a very selective memory for someone who frequently celebrates Sony's paid exclusives. Don't let the butthurt over MS doing the same be so obvious. 😎

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SolidGame_basic

waiting for someone to share when Sony spent $80 billion on acquisitions😄

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Not that I am inclined to believe such rumors but in past I'd of totally discounted any idea Square Enix would sell, but after they sold Eidos, Eidos Montréal, Crystal Dynamics, and a buttload of IPs, for a measly $300 million, who the heck knows anymore. So, moving such rumors out of firm "oh hell no(!)" to now just a tentative "maybe(?)".

Anyhow, don't see why Sony would want to buy since Square Enix already makes Sony big name exclusive gratis, and has already expressed a desire to keep it that way. Why would Sony want to waste the money when they're already getting what they'd get out of the deal without the need to buy it? Regardless, don't see them announcing anything big as far as acquisitions until the Bungie deal clears.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4365 Posts

the issue with this. seems most gamers are pretty stupid on it.

is both have large anime/manga ip dept.

due to both usa and japan. it would not be allowed.

plus half of all the money se makes is said dept i mention.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

Shit buys crap. Well, it's a match made in.. shit.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PC_Rocks

@Litchie said:

That's why we should hope that it happens. All the sh*t under one umbrella.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

@pc_rocks said:
@Litchie said:

That's why we should hope that it happens. All the sh*t under one umbrella.

Makes it easier to ignore, true, true.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12948 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: waiting for someone to share when MS money hatted more often and longer than Sony on acquisitions, times exclusives and exclusives for the gaming division.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22669 Posts

They should wait for the price to drop after forespoken gets released...

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DaVillain  Moderator

@TheEroica said:

That game sure is in your head rent-free lol.

Truth be told, SE is only useful if they make FF games only. Plus the new Tom Raider game is on the way so.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pedro

@Litchie: Y'all savage 😂

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@davillain said:
@TheEroica said:

Truth be told, SE is only useful if they make FF games only. Plus the new Tom Raider game is on the way so.

SE just sold Tomb Raider, though. The only valuable IPs they really have left are Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, and I'm not sure if they even own the rights to Dragon Quest or simply publish it. Final Fantasy is worth an acquisition if the price is right, though. That's just a big if.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@PurpleMan5000 said:
@davillain said:
@TheEroica said:

SE just sold Tomb Raider, though. The only valuable IPs they really have left are Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, and I'm not sure if they even own the rights to Dragon Quest or simply publish it. Final Fantasy is worth an acquisition if the price is right, though. That's just a big if.

Almost forgot they did sell Tomb Raider, probably for the best. FF is all they have left and if I was Sony, I would just try to buy FF rights and leave SE to suffer.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts
@Nonstop-Madness said:

@mesome713:

PlayStation has spent plenty of money on securing Japanese games from Square so why is it outside of the realm of possibility that they'd be interested in whole pot of Japanese games?

It's clear that they value what Square still produces and, that's all that matters.

it was cheaper for sony to secure exclusivity last gen because ps4 outsold xbox more than 2 to 1. This gen is much closer. At the pace xbox is selling, its guaranteed to be a 100M + console by the end of the gen. Sony will have to pay out of their ASS to SE to secure the exclusivity rights that used to be so cheap for them.

I wouldn't be surprised if SE is having second thoughts about making FF16 exclusive to ps5. Just looking at ps5 sales numbers of 20 million, compared to xbox of around 14 million, SE is probably having a ton of second thoughts right about now.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22669 Posts

@davillain said:
@TheEroica said:

Its definitely the first game that pops to mind when I think of underwhelming new games in the pipeline. Maybe indicative of Squares current decision making? I'll wait to see how it's recieved I suppose, but yeah it's stuck in my head for all the wrong reasons.

Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Nonstop-Madness

@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@Nonstop-Madness said:

@mesome713:

it was cheaper for sony to secure exclusivity last gen because ps4 outsold xbox more than 2 to 1. This gen is much closer. At the pace xbox is selling, its guaranteed to be a 100M + console by the end of the gen. Sony will have to pay out of their ASS to SE to secure the exclusivity rights that used to be so cheap for them.

I wouldn't be surprised if SE is having second thoughts about making FF16 exclusive to ps5. Just looking at ps5 sales numbers of 20 million, compared to xbox of around 14 million, SE is probably having a ton of second thoughts right about now.

Game sales aren't split across their market share; Square games sell better on PlayStation, period.

Ex.

- Square can't sell **** on Xbox in Japan.

- See PS3 vs X360. Square games still sold better even when PlayStation had a smaller market share in the middle of the gen.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8853 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Square Enix is a public company, and most of it's shares are owned by companies who I doubt would sell it to anyone - they'd buy it themselves.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

Sure they could buy it, would be a bad buy at this point but that hasn't stopped Sony in the past.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7231 Posts

Its clear they are clearing the decks for a takeover wouldn't surprise me if sony made the deal happen.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Doubting this now just on account of why would Square Enix sell a number of developers and IPs right before a big buyout, just that consideration throws lots and lots of doubt on such an idea. Plus, news they want to invest in pushing NFTs in their games, seems Square Enix does have a big payday in mind but doubtful plans on being bought out are a part of that.

Seems like the source is a circle jerk of sourcing, these rumors have been swirling for months and if anything is feeding them its the lack of big announcements to engage the fanbase with from Sony's end, and in that vacuum the fanbase latches onto any semblance of hope be it Abandoned is secretly being made by Kojima and it's really Silent Hill in disguise... stuff like that.

And to be consistent on that last point they've been pretty quiet with the exception of their lackluster PS Plus / Now rebranding efforts. And we're a big month away from MS potentially spanking Sony raw. No doubt Sony fanboys under some heightened anxiety about it are trying to believe any big news out there no matter how ill sourced it is.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

@lamprey263: Spanking? That's hilarious. Xbox is a glorified Gamepass machine because they for damn sure aren't making good games.