Will Sega ever return?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thetruespin
Member since 2008 • 3256 Posts

Who would like to see another console from Sega? Do you think they will ever return to the word of console production?

MasterSystem = Great

MegaDrive (Genesis) = Great

Saturn = Not as bad as people make out, but didn't stand a chance against the mass appeal of the PS1.

Dreamcast = Great but overlooked.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

SEGA = Arcade gaming

Arcade gaming = long gone in mainstream popularity

ash10692

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 ash10692
Member since 2008 • 2310 Posts
I'd love to see it happen, but without private funding, it's doubtful.
Dr-Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Dr-Doctor
Member since 2006 • 707 Posts
I think Sega is on its way out of the gaming industry.
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts
SEGA as we used to know them has been dead for a loooong time.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Panzer_Zwei
I think Sega is on its way out of the gaming industry.Dr-Doctor
You think wrong.
ash10692

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ash10692

[QUOTE="Dr-Doctor"]I think Sega is on its way out of the gaming industry.Panzer_Zwei
You think wrong.

Proof?

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Panzer_Zwei

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"][QUOTE="Dr-Doctor"]I think Sega is on its way out of the gaming industry.ash10692

You think wrong.

Proof?

Check the list of their current and future releases.
ash10692

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ash10692
[QUOTE="ash10692"]

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"][QUOTE="Dr-Doctor"]I think Sega is on its way out of the gaming industry.Panzer_Zwei

You think wrong.

Proof?

Does that list include a console?

svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 svetzenlether
Member since 2003 • 3082 Posts

Sega has managed to screw up most of their franchises (Sonic, Shining Force to name a few) and pretty much every game they've released over the last 5 years.

The only exceptions to this are the games in which they are only the publisher, ie. the Total War games.

noswear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 noswear
Member since 2008 • 3263 Posts
[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"][QUOTE="ash10692"]

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"][QUOTE="Dr-Doctor"]I think Sega is on its way out of the gaming industry.ash10692

You think wrong.

Proof?

Does what you just said mean anything to do with them being on their way out?

bigLLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 bigLLL
Member since 2005 • 3688 Posts
There is no way microsoft will release another "xbox" in japan they will have to change there name, i've always thought it would be best if microsoft and sega teamed up and released there console under the Sega name instead of the microsoft one in japan, then they might actually sell consoles
ash10692

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ash10692
[QUOTE="ash10692"][QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"][QUOTE="ash10692"]

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"][QUOTE="Dr-Doctor"]I think Sega is on its way out of the gaming industry.noswear

You think wrong.

Proof?

Does what you just said mean anything to do with them being on their way out?

Well if they made a new console, it would be a step in the right direction.

air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#14 air_wolf_cubed
Member since 2004 • 10233 Posts
Sega = funding MadWorld MadWorld = Win :)
svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 svetzenlether

ash10692

Yeah, because their last one was so successful. :roll:

I think Sega needs to focus on making it so their games aren't a laughing stock anymore, and then actually learn how to market their way out of a paper bag. Then maybe they can think about introducing a new console into an already-saturated market.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Panzer_Zwei
[QUOTE="ash10692"]

svetzenlether

I think Sega needs to focus on making it so their games aren't a laughing stock anymore, and then actually learn how to market their way out of a paper bag. Then maybe they can think about introducing a new console into an already-saturated market.

You mean like Ryu Ga Gotoku: Kenzan!, Virtua Fighter 5, Senjou no Valkyria, SEGA Race TV etc. which all got rave reviews? :|

Maybe you should actually try to know what games are they making, before ignorantly jumping to conslusions.

SEGA of Japan doesn't care about the hacks their overseas divisions came up with.

ash10692

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ash10692
[QUOTE="svetzenlether"][QUOTE="ash10692"]

Panzer_Zwei

You mean like Ryu Ga Gotoku: Kenzan!, Virtua Fighter 5, Senjou no Valkyria, SEGA Race TV etc. which all got rave reviews? :|

Maybe you should actually try to know what games are they making, before ignorantly jumping to conslusions.

SEGA of Japan doesn't care about the hacks their overseas divisions came up with.

I don't think Sega, for me will ever be the same as playing on the Megadrive. That experience was fantastic. Their transition into 3d was not a smooth one.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 subrosian

Sega = funding MadWorld MadWorld = Win :)air_wolf_cubed

It's a terrible idea to hype Mad World simply because it has a cool art sty1e and is violent. SEGA has made a lot of things over the years that *looked cool* right up until you played it. Hell, Red Steel was looking pretty solid, it sounded on course, the demo footage was neat, then you held the Wiimote and tried it... oh... and I mean *oh* with a sad face, children crying, and women nashing their teeth. Even though that's not SEGA, I'm just saying, things can look good and still fail.

Mad World could wind up being the saddest song played on the ugliest guitar.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Panzer_Zwei
[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"][QUOTE="svetzenlether"][QUOTE="ash10692"]

ash10692

I don't think Sega, for me will ever be the same as playing on the Megadrive. That experience was fantastic. Their transition into 3d was not a smooth one.

The transition was fantastic actually. Most of their games after the Mega Drive were 3D: Virtua Fighter, Daytona USA, Virtual-ON, Virtua Cop, Ferrari F355, Panzer Dragoon, Star Wars Trilogy, all of their Naomi games and so on.
air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 air_wolf_cubed

[QUOTE="air_wolf_cubed"]Sega = funding MadWorld MadWorld = Win :)subrosian

It's a terrible idea to hype Mad World simply because it has a cool art sty1e and is violent. SEGA has made a lot of things over the years that *looked cool* right up until you played it. Hell, Red Steel was looking pretty solid, it sounded on course, the demo footage was neat, then you held the Wiimote and tried it... oh... and I mean *oh* with a sad face, children crying, and women nashing their teeth. Even though that's not SEGA, I'm just saying, things can look good and still fail.

Mad World could wind up being the saddest song played on the ugliest guitar.

MadWorld = Clover Studios developers Clover Studios = Viewtiful Joe, Okami, helped with RE4 MadWorld = Win :)
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 subrosian

But the topic Panzer was "will SEGA ever return?". The realistic answer is "No". Wouldn't even necessarily have to do with games - while SEGA was at their peak in terms of games (Mega Drive -> Saturn era) they were doing some incredibly stupid things as a business.

Even today, with Sega Sammy, we're stuck with a company (sammy) who is making products for a dying market, sega living and dying by the expensive arcade industry, and Sega of America... well you get the idea. They're not exactly what investors would call "the future of gaming"... so, it's extremely unlikely SEGA will ever be in the position they were in during the 16-bit era up through the Dreamcast pullout. They're not going to be that kind of player in the system war again.

svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 svetzenlether
[QUOTE="svetzenlether"][QUOTE="ash10692"]

Panzer_Zwei

You mean like Yakuza 3, Virtua Fighter 5, Valkyria Chronicles, SEGA Race TV etc. which all got rave reviews? :|

(fixed)

They should care, becuase it's destroying their reputation. Mind you, the Sega CD and 32X did a pretty good job of that anyway. Gotta love those Make My Video games.

And whose fault is it that I haven't heard about Yakuza 3 and Valkyria Chronicles? Like I said, Sega needs to learn how to market their way out of a paper bag. Shadow the Hedgehog and Shining Force Neo are not doing them any favours. And the Virtua Fighter games have always paled in comparison to Tekken anyway.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Panzer_Zwei

But the topic Panzer was "will SEGA ever return?". The realistic answer is "No". Wouldn't even necessarily have to do with games - while SEGA was at their peak in terms of games (Mega Drive -> Saturn era) they were doing some incredibly stupid things as a business.

Even today, with Sega Sammy, we're stuck with a company (sammy) who is making products for a dying market, sega living and dying by the expensive arcade industry, and Sega of America... well you get the idea. They're not exactly what investors would call "the future of gaming"... so, it's extremely unlikely SEGA will ever be in the position they were in during the 16-bit era up through the Dreamcast pullout. They're not going to be that kind of player in the system war again.

subrosian

The only realistic thing I keep seeing here is people like you for example that always seem to claim how well they know SEGA, yet they don't really know anything or play anything of what they're actually making. Yet love to bash them at any chance they get.

Many people rave on about how Godly they were before and whatever. Yet the general consensus is that all of the Saturn period was like the dark ages, then they suddenly became amazing again with the Dreamcast. Which is just plain ridiculous.

And I've already mentioned why they aren't coming back. SEGA's backbone is Arcade gaming. Always was, always will. All of their consoles since the Mega Drive had an Arcade board, counterpart. And Arcade gaming has been long gone in the mainstream appeal.

ash10692

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ash10692
[QUOTE="subrosian"]

Panzer_Zwei

The only realistic thing I keep seeing here is people like you for example that always seem to claim how well they know SEGA, yet they don't really know anything or play anything of what they're actually making. Yet love to bash them at any chance they get.

Many people rave on about how Godly they were before and whatever. Yet the general consensus is that all of the Saturn period was like the dark ages, then they suddenly became amazing again with the Dreamcast. Which is just plain ridiculous.

And I've already mentioned why they aren't coming back. SEGA's backbone is Arcade gaming. Always was, always will. All of their consoles since the Mega Drive had an Arcade board, counterpart. And Arcade gaming has been long gone in the mainstream appeal.

And their forays into current gaming have been less than fantastic. Well the games in the mainstream anyway.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 subrosian
[QUOTE="subrosian"]

Panzer_Zwei

Did you ever read my post?

Did I once claim any of the things you said in that post?

No.

Thanks for the vast generalizations about me AND for proving my point. SEGA will never return because they have made terrible business decisions repeatedly even in their golden era (Mega Drive -> Saturn NOTICE I SAID SATURN NOT DREAMCAST)

Sticking in the ever-shrinking arcade market was a PISS POOR IDEA. They don't get to be idolized for that you. You don't get to take cheap shots at people who *rightly* critize SEGA. It's Sega's own damn fault they're in the mess they're in - and you can't point at the few good games they make and say "lolz I don't care about Sega of America". They should - because that's *their brand name* getting trashed by absolute junk like Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), Phantasy Star Universe, etc...

-

"Always will be" is a pretty damn huge assumption too - I wouldn't count on it. I wouldn't count on SEGA being around a decade from now unless they get their act together. As far as I'm concerned, the SEGA I knew as a child died a long time ago.

svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 svetzenlether
[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"][QUOTE="subrosian"]

subrosian

No.

Thanks for the vast generalizations about me AND for proving my point. SEGA will never return because they have made terrible business decisions repeatedly even in their golden era (Mega Drive -> Saturn NOTICE I SAID SATURN NOT DREAMCAST)

Sticking in the ever-shrinking arcade market was a PISS POOR IDEA. They don't get to be idolized for that you. You don't get to take cheap shots at people who *rightly* critize SEGA. It's Sega's own damn fault they're in the mess they're in - and you can't point at the few good games they make and say "lolz I don't care about Sega of America". They should - because that's *their brand name* getting trashed by absolute junk like Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), Phantasy Star Universe, etc...

-

"Always will be" is a pretty damn huge assumption too - I wouldn't count on it. I wouldn't count on SEGA being around a decade from now unless they get their act together. As far as I'm concerned, the SEGA I knew as a child died a long time ago.

And it's pretty obvious they're still making those terrible decisions that started back with the Sega CD. Arcades are BEYOND irrelevant at this point!

And to comment on one thing Subrosian typed at the beginning of the quoted post: Genesis -> Saturn, yeah, AND Genesis -> Dreamcast, the DC being arguably the most overpraised piece of electronic equipment since the first iMac

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Panzer_Zwei
[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"][QUOTE="subrosian"]

subrosian

No.

-

SEGA as we used to know them has been dead for a loooong time.subrosian
Gee, I wonder where did I got the idea. :roll:

So what SEGA you know exactly? You know what their old guard programmers are up to? Do you even know their old guard programmers and studios to begin with? Have you even played one of the games I've mentioned.I mean, really since you seem to know them oh so well.

And I don't give a damn if they're games are popular or not. I wouldn't care if they produce a mega hit if it's the kind of game that I don't like. I like SEGA because they make the kind of games I like. So I'm glad they stayed and continue to stay in the Arcade maket.

svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 svetzenlether

So what SEGA you know exactly? You know what their old guard programmers are up to? Do you even know their old guard programmers and studios to begin with? Have you even played one of the games I've mentioned.I mean, really since you seem to know them so well.

And I don't give a damn if they're games are popular or not. I wouldn't care if they produce a mega hit if it's the kind of game that I don't care about. I like SEGA because they make the kind of games I like. So I'm glad they stayed and continue to stay in the Arcade maket.

Panzer_Zwei

Have fun trying to find an arcade to actually play those games in.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Panzer_Zwei
[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

So what SEGA you know exactly? You know what their old guard programmers are up to? Do you even know their old guard programmers and studios to begin with? Have you even played one of the games I've mentioned.I mean, really since you seem to know them so well.

And I don't give a damn if they're games are popular or not. I wouldn't care if they produce a mega hit if it's the kind of game that I don't care about. I like SEGA because they make the kind of games I like. So I'm glad they stayed and continue to stay in the Arcade maket.

svetzenlether

Yeah, I mean it's not like they would do such a foolish thing as port them to consoles. That's just unheard of... :|
svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 svetzenlether
[QUOTE="svetzenlether"][QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

Panzer_Zwei

Yeah, I mean it's not like they would do such a foolish thing as port them to consoles. That's just unheard of... :|

Don't worry, they'll find some way to screw them up.

air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 air_wolf_cubed
[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

svetzenlether

My mall has an arcade. DDR is popular with goths
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 subrosian

Yeah, I mean it's not like they would do such a foolish thing as port them to consoles. That's just unheard of... :|Panzer_Zwei

... you can lecture everyone by pretending you know something we don't, or that we've missed some "big secret" when SEGA stops losing marketshare and pissing money. I mean really, please, quote some japan-only sequel SEGA failed to advertise that put them another few million in the red. :|

You might love the arcade, but SEGA as a business entity is essentially suicidal.

RazMaTaz-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RazMaTaz-1
Member since 2007 • 2097 Posts

No chance, as much as i loved sega, no way will they return in terms of consoles.

Game wise, they will make quite a statement because their studio (Platinum Studios) consists of everyone from Clover studios(Capcom), which consisted to Hideki Kamiya (DMC/RE series) and Shinji Mikami (RE/Viewtiful/Killer 7) and others.I think Sega will soon shine once games like Bayonneta, that Wii game(the guy with the chain saw), come out.

NoLimitJay1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NoLimitJay1
Member since 2003 • 580 Posts
I wish, but I dont think there is any chance. Console have become hugely expensive. Only a company that can afford huge losses on production (Sony and Microsoft) or build a quality machine thats profitable from the start (Nintendo) stand a chance. Even if Sega went the Wii-route and built a cheap console they dont have the 1st-party games to prop up their system anymore, while Link and Mario have helped Wii sales a ton.
Seraphimon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Seraphimon
Member since 2003 • 89 Posts

As has already been mentioned, it doesn't appear that Sega will ever enter the hardware side of things again.

Their bread and butter is the arcade, which is still doing decently in Japan, but is tumbleweed country over here in America.

They can still create quality games, Valkryie of the Battlefield says hello, but their brand management is terrible.

They need to be taking notes from Nintendo or Sony on business, and get all their branches on the same page before they can even think about entering the hardware arena.

Their best selling game ever has Mario as the headliner.

At this point, i'd rather Microsoft, or Nintendo buy them from Sammy, and then i'd see Shining Force alongside his big brother Fire Emblem, and Phantasy Star alongside Mother.

Sega has a buttload of properties that could be big sellers, they just are terrible at doing anything with them.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
I think SEGA should become more like EA, in fact they are already heading that way, they have a fair amount of rights to games and some companies too like Platinum, but they REALLY need to step up their quality, look at Iron Man, the Hulk, they are both by SEGA owned studios and both of them are very very average. They also need some NEW FRANCHISES. People accept Mario spinoffs like Mario Tennis, Mario Kart because they are actually GOOD. Please stop milking Sonic, make a new Ristar or something but in 2d. Unless they do that they're doomed to another 3 or 4 years of mediocrity until somebody slaps some sense into them...
TDLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TDLlama
Member since 2006 • 2779 Posts

The SEGA we saw in the 90s, you mean? No, that SEGA is never coming back. They might just end up like Hudson and become truly irrelevant.

And Madworld might be funded by SEGA, but it's not a true SEGA game.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

SEGA = Arcade gaming

Arcade gaming = long gone in mainstream popularity

Panzer_Zwei

That is the best summary that can be offered. They were never about making console gaming experiences but putting the arcade experience on consoles. Which I guess is why the Saturn is so fantastic.

SEGA is still kicking though and making some great games.
svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 svetzenlether

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]Yeah, I mean it's not like they would do such a foolish thing as port them to consoles. That's just unheard of... :|subrosian

... you can lecture everyone by pretending you know something we don't, or that we've missed some "big secret" when SEGA stops losing marketshare and pissing money. I mean really, please, quote some japan-only sequel SEGA failed to advertise that put them another few million in the red. :|

You might love the arcade, but SEGA as a business entity is essentially suicidal.

Plus, those arcade games Sega makes that are so great with the sit-down cockpits and the wheels and shifters? Those things are completely gone when a game like Sega Rally comes to a home system, and what may have counted for depth in the arcades now has to stand up against games like GT5, Forza, Grid, etc.

svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 svetzenlether

The SEGA we saw in the 90s, you mean? No, that SEGA is never coming back. They might just end up like Hudson and become truly irrelevant.

And Madworld might be funded by SEGA, but it's not a true SEGA game.

TDLlama

And it seems the only good games coming out under the Sega name are the ones it only publishes and doesn't develop. Again, the Total War series comes to mind.