Will PS Now become the Steam of consoles?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Bazooka_4ME (2540 posts) -

It does seem to share the same concept of Steam.

#2 Edited by treedoor (7648 posts) -

Steam is not a paid-subscription service where you rent games, and stream them over the internet.

#3 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (10669 posts) -

God and baby Jesus NO

#4 Posted by Opus_Rea-333 (1238 posts) -

Nice try.

#5 Posted by MonsieurX (36888 posts) -

lolno

#6 Posted by commander (14205 posts) -

@Bazooka_4ME said:

Sorry but further than streaming previous gen quality...

It will never go

#7 Posted by mems_1224 (56917 posts) -

lmao

#8 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

uh, you might want to actually take a look at Steam

#9 Posted by Vecna (3425 posts) -

If you mean the hot air (steam), then yes.

Streaming games sucks. Input lag hell, and that's not even accounting for a multiplayer title.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
#10 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (44848 posts) -

Not sure if serious.

#11 Posted by Caseytappy (2199 posts) -

@Bazooka_4ME said:

How, you think steam is somehow a streaming service ?

Seems to me you failed to grasp the concept .

#12 Posted by foxhound_fox (96795 posts) -

@treedoor said:

Steam is not a paid-subscription service where you rent games, and stream them over the internet.

This.

Steam is a digital distribution service that let's users BUY and INSTALL their games to their computers (any number of them as well, wherever they can log in to their account).

And Steam already exists on the PS3. Despite being in a much-reduced form.

#13 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

Nope, PS Now is backward compability with a subscription. Backwards compability is much easier with a PC, so it's not the same.

#14 Posted by XboxDone74 (2116 posts) -

Good Lord yes. Gonna be better than Steam. Hopefully we see the end of that pc abyss of a service.

#15 Posted by MonsieurX (36888 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

Good Lord yes. Gonna be better than Steam. Hopefully we see the end of that pc abyss of a service.

Glad we have more options than Steam,not suck with PSN

GMG -20%\25% of every game,almost everytime

#16 Posted by MrYaotubo (2880 posts) -

It´s not even the same type of service nor is it anywhere near the level of steam.

#17 Posted by speedfog (4945 posts) -

It looks like a turd that's for sure.

#18 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11763 posts) -

I'm curious as to what this "same concept" that TC imagined is.. Since it's completely different.

#19 Posted by BattleSpectre (7989 posts) -

You guys want an easier solution with backwards compatibility? Buy a PS3.

#20 Posted by naz99 (2808 posts) -

*facepalm*

/Thread

#21 Posted by FinalFighters (2782 posts) -

Share the same concept?? Steam is not a streaming service.....................................

#22 Posted by clyde46 (49050 posts) -

PS now makes Sony consoles irrelevant.

#23 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

Not even close.

#24 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

PS now makes Sony consoles irrelevant.

My PS1, PS2, and PS3 collection make PS Now irrelevant.

#25 Edited by Bazooka_4ME (2540 posts) -

This is Steam:

and this is Origin:

So far we've known PS Now is streaming but games are individually priced MUCH LIKE Steam and Origin.

Still no details on subscription or pay-per-play deals and the only difference I see is PS Now is cloud based while Steam/Origin are download based.

#26 Posted by Jankarcop (11056 posts) -

Yes, but the big differences

• far less games. like, 1/10th
  • less features
  • it's not free
  • less deals
  • no competitive games
#27 Posted by Xplode_games (1669 posts) -

@Bazooka_4ME said:

No

#28 Edited by Bazooka_4ME (2540 posts) -
@Jankarcop said:

• less features
  • it's not free
  • less deals
  • no competitive games

- We don't know if it'll include PS1, PS2, PSP and even Vita games.
- We don't even know how the interface is. So far they've only shown games running
- Steam/Origin are not free either except F2P's which practically matches PS+'s free games. We still don't know if PS Now will be sub-based or pay-per-play.
- Still unknown
- And what's competitive to you?

#29 Posted by freedomfreak (49890 posts) -

#30 Posted by melonfarmerz (1294 posts) -

@Bazooka_4ME said:

@Jankarcop said:

• less features
  • it's not free
  • less deals
  • no competitive games

- We don't even know how the interface is. So far they've only shown games running

- Steam/Origin are not free either except F2P's which practically matches PS+'s free games. We still don't know if PS Now will be sub-based or pay-per-play.

- Still unknown

1. You realize if it's every playstation game in history, which I doubt it will be, it'll still be a tenth of Steam+Origin....

2. Believe me, Steam's been at it for 10 or so (?) years. PS Now won't come close to Steam in terms of features and quality.

3. Uh. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure you can only rent games from PS Now. If not, then it will be sub based, which is just as bad. Steam itself is free. When you buy a game YOU ACTUALLY OWN IT. Also, no games like DOTA 2 and TF2, Steam's F2P's are FAR superior to any F2P on Playstation.

4. No. As we speak, looking on Steam right now, there are 2227 games under 5 dollars and 3801 under 10. So ya. Deals won't match steam games. Steam has more under 5 dollar games at the moment than PS Now will have games in general.

5. Um. Dota 2, Counter Strike, ect, are far more competitive than any game on Playstation. The biggest console esport is fucking COD. And they play that on Xbox...

#31 Posted by lundy86_4 (48652 posts) -

How are they the same concept?

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
#32 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9845 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

How are they the same concept?

^^^

#33 Edited by Bazooka_4ME (2540 posts) -

@melonfarmerz said:

@Bazooka_4ME said:

@Jankarcop said:

• less features
  • it's not free
  • less deals
  • no competitive games

- Still unknown

1. You realize if it's every playstation game in history, which I doubt it will be, it'll still be a tenth of Steam+Origin....

2. Believe me, Steam's been at it for 10 or so (?) years. PS Now won't come close to Steam in terms of features and quality.

3. Uh. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure you can only rent games from PS Now. If not, then it will be sub based, which is just as bad. Steam itself is free. When you buy a game YOU ACTUALLY OWN IT. Also, no games like DOTA 2 and TF2, Steam's F2P's are FAR superior to any F2P on Playstation.

4. No. As we speak, looking on Steam right now, there are 2227 games under 5 dollars and 3801 under 10. So ya. Deals won't match steam games. Steam has more under 5 dollar games at the moment than PS Now will have games in general.

5. Um. Dota 2, Counter Strike, ect, are far more competitive than any game on Playstation. The biggest console esport is fucking COD. And they play that on Xbox...

You realized that I'm not exactly talking about the value or the content of each program. Of course Steam would have more. I'm talking about the characteristics, the way the program works, the CONCEPT.

So instead of telling me how Steam has more content, why not tell me how it functions differently from PS Now.

Yes yes PS Now is streaming, I heard it from the first reply. But we also saw an individual price for games such as TLOU, B2S, GoW Ascension being $5-6.

So how is PS Now different from Steam aside from streaming?

#34 Posted by wolf503 (151 posts) -

If they start having sales on a constant basis where the games are so cheap you have to buy them for absolutely no reason at all, then maybe it will be the Steam of consoles.

#35 Edited by Bazooka_4ME (2540 posts) -

@wolf503 said:

If they start having sales on a constant basis where the games are so cheap you have to buy them for absolutely no reason at all, then maybe it will be the Steam of consoles.

Exactly. This is pretty much the reason why I asked the question because PS+ is already doing it.

We still don't know if it'll also include multiplats from PS1, PS2, etc...

#36 Posted by Nengo_Flow (10644 posts) -

I dont think TC knows what PS NOW is.

Or maybe he doesnt know what STEAM is either.

#37 Posted by wolf503 (151 posts) -

@Bazooka_4ME said:

@wolf503 said:

Exactly. This is pretty much the reason why I asked the question because PS+ is already doing it.

We still don't know if it'll also include multiplats from PS1, PS2, etc...

But PS+ requires you to pay a monthly/yearly bill already on top of the game you buy & the games they do are usually games that I've already played. In all honesty, I'd just be happy if they started selling their digital versions of new release games for less than retail of the hard copy. I wouldn't buy it but I just think it's stupid paying more for digital than hard copy.

#38 Posted by melonfarmerz (1294 posts) -

@Bazooka_4ME: you replied to the other guys comment implying that PS Now had content close to the quality of Steam. I had to set that straight

"What's the difference between Steam and PS Now other than streaming?"

You have to realize this is a HUGE difference.

Streaming games means youre paying to borrow content you don't own, have to be online, and are limited to what Sony wants you to play. It's not a distribution service, it's a streaming service.

Steam us just a middle man, it just lets creators sell their own products to consumers. It doesn't restrict what the consumer can play and the only restrictions on the consumer are those decided by the game itself. This is a fundamental difference.

#39 Posted by CroidX (1555 posts) -

@Bazooka_4ME:

Pay 5 dollars to rent a game lol that's nothing like steam and the monthly fees on top of that

#40 Posted by kipsta77 (1119 posts) -

BAhaha! This is the greatest thing I've read all day!

#41 Posted by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

Prices are too high

#42 Posted by stationplay_4 (444 posts) -

no. just no.

#43 Edited by cainetao11 (32730 posts) -

@Bazooka_4ME said:

I was thinking the same thing. I guess we'll see.

#44 Posted by handssss (1907 posts) -

I personally doubt I'll have much use for it. I know plenty of people who have never had a ps3 before who now bought ps4s. Would be cool if they could catch up on some of the exclusives from last gen while in the downtime between big releases this gen.

#45 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (9283 posts) -

Is PS Now going to actually charge individually for the games in addition to the subscription fee? Why would anybody subscribe to that? It sounds awful. You can already purchase old games from PSN and actually own and install them.