Will PC gaming get left behind in SSD support and speeds?

• 59 results
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Will PC gaming get left behind in SSD support and speeds? (56 votes)

Yes 11%
No 82%
Maybe 2%
Console SSD speeds don't matter as much 5%

With the new thing having gamers hyped for next generation being reduced/zero load times due to SSDs how will PC gaming hold up in that factor? Consoles advantage of being sold at a lost along with some parts like the blu-ray drive and storage being directly manufactured by their respective companies to reduce cost even more give it an advantage. Solid State Drives have been available for PCs for over a decade but only in recent years have they've been affordable to get a decent storage size. You can get a 1TB SATA 3 SSD for less than $100 and a PCIE 3.0 1TB NVME SSD with read & write speeds varying between 1000mb/s and 3500mb/s costing between $100-$130.

The Steam hardware survey doesn't keep track of what type of storage device you use and that information could be vital in whether or not devs will optimize their games to fully utilize SSDs on PC versions of games. Most prebuilt gaming PCs and even cheap laptops nowadays come with SSD storage by default whether it be SATA 3 or PCIE NVME. With the prebuilt PC market already moving on to SSDs that gives me some confidence that a sizeable amount of the DIY demographic has already or plan on using SSDs. I recently bought a Crucial BX500 and I am impressed with how fast games load. It only takes me 1-5 seconds to load up a level on Warframe and most of the time I get loaded in before the rest of my team. Installing games to my SSD is much faster than installing it to my 7200 RPM HDD since the disk usage isn't bottlenecked by low HDD reading/writing speeds the only thing holding it back in download speeds is the internet now. My windows boot is pretty much instantaneous now and I don't have to give the PC time to warm up. And I'm using a SATA 3 SSD with no dedicated DRAM cache and it's read/write speeds are 550mb/s & 515mb/s.

Now while I'm enjoying all these benefits just from 550mb/s the console SSDs are going to be even faster than what I got. The Xbox Series X has 2.4gb/s raw and 4.8gb/s compressed while the PS5 has 5.5gb/s raw and 9gb/s compressed. A PCIE 4.0 SSD can rival the PS5's SSD speeds but it'd cost you $200 to get one that has 1tb storage capacity as it $110 just for a 500gb one. Although PS5 SSD speeds shouldn't matter as much since Xbox Series X is slower and devs will have to develop around that limitation so PS5 will likely only have its SSD speed shine in exclusive titles thus not making it that relevant. Most PCIE 3.0 NVMEs even those ranging around $130 for 1TB should have no problem rivaling or surpassing the Xbox Series X SSD in speed.

Would the differences in speed really matter? The only game that is optimized to take advantage of different SSD speeds on the market right now is Star Citizen and the difference between a SATA 3 SSD and a NVME M.2 in load times is a few seconds and the in game performance difference being miniscule.

What do you think? Will PC gamers have to take the L in no longer the faster load times advantage or would it not really matter with the difference in load times ranging from few a few seconds to milliseconds.

• 
Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 Juub1990  Online
Member since 2013 • 10288 Posts

They’ll be fine like always.

filthyn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By filthyn00b
Member since 2020 • 473 Posts

i didnt even read, but ya umm no consoles are already left behind bro lol.

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ProtossRushX
Member since 2007 • 7910 Posts

Well as long as Xbox One is still be used to develop future games those first party dev's can't really take advantage of the SSD in the new systems, it would cause.massive issues if one game was loading faster than the other in multiplayer games an stuff which have cross play with the 2013 xbone.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 8060 Posts

LOL, no.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#5 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 43917 Posts

Firstly, loading is not just data transfer rate. Some games are more dependent on transfer rate for loading times than others. A game can be made to maximize the loading of any storage device, in that it doesn't artificially delay loading. I can't think of any modern game that hard codes the load times yet people are reacting out of ignorance as if games are hardcoded for the storage devices. That is handled by the OS and game simply makes the request. If the data is loaded, it simply signals that the loading is done regardless of the storage type. Its very basic data management. If a game takes too long to load because of storage limitations the game pauses or stutters and that's it. It it loads fast, then you will experience a seamless transition. This SSD being a game changer is more hype than substance regardless of who is trying to state otherwise. This is very basic computer science. Now, some fools may read this as being equal to stating that SSDs would not make a difference but, its not. SSDs is going to make a difference just like any other process in the pipeline that runs faster. Just not going to be this mythical game changer. The same applies to ray tracing.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 57135 Posts

I'm out of the loop tech-wise, but I sincerely doubt it. We see something akin to this with new gens (not always,) and then something for the PC is released in short order.

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ProtossRushX

@Pedro said:

Firstly, loading is not just data transfer rate. Some games are more dependent on transfer rate for loading times than others. A game can be made to maximize the loading of any storage device, in that it doesn't artificially delay loading. I can't think of any modern game that hard codes the load times yet people are reacting out of ignorance as if games are hardcoded for the storage devices. That is handled by the OS and game simply makes the request. If the data is loaded, it simply signals that the loading is done regardless of the storage type. Its very basic data management. If a game takes too long to load because of storage limitations the game pauses or stutters and that's it. It it loads fast, then you will experience a seamless transition. This SSD being a game changer is more hype than substance regardless of who is trying to state otherwise. This is very basic computer science. Now, some fools may read this as being equal to stating that SSDs would not make a difference but, its not. SSDs is going to make a difference just like any other process in the pipeline that runs faster. Just not going to be this mythical game changer. The same applies to ray tracing.

Could be preemptive Damage control for X-Series S not having a SSD or Ray tracing like the PS5 and Series X? The S might just be a cheap console with a decent cpu and gpu but skipping the real next gen goodies of the upper models.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 1426 Posts

I figure there'll be a few months to a year of inflated pricing while we're all supposed to be clapping and cheering on the consoles in the egg and spoon race, then prices will drop pretty sharply.

Will faster SSD's make a big difference to game design? I'm with Pedro - probably not. They haven't so far.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pedro

@ProtossRushX said:
@Pedro said:

Could be preemptive Damage control for X-Series S not having a SSD or Ray tracing like the PS5 and Series X? The S might just be a cheap console with a decent cpu and gpu but skipping the real next gen goodies of the upper models.

Well, you are wrong the Series S will have a SSD and support ray tracing. Nothing I stated was with regards to any specific console but I see that you were triggered.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 sakaiXx  Online
Member since 2013 • 9476 Posts

Yea.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Fedor

I need Giffords take on this.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 19607 Posts

pc ded

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1031 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

Well as long as Xbox One is still be used to develop future games those first party dev's can't really take advantage of the SSD in the new systems, it would cause.massive issues if one game was loading faster than the other in multiplayer games an stuff which have cross play with the 2013 xbone.

Doesn't cause much of problem currently with cross platform games that are out now. Play a game of COD on a PC - with an SSD - a join a game with console players (and their current slow hard drives) and you'll just have to wait 10-15 seconds longer as your waiting for them to catch up and load into the session. There won't be any issues when you you're playing.

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ProtossRushX

@Bond007uk said:
@ProtossRushX said:

Doesn't cause much of problem currently with cross platform games that are out now. Play a game of COD on a PC - with an SSD - a join a game with console players (and their current slow hard drives) and you'll just have to wait 10-15 seconds longer as your waiting for them to catch up and load into the session. There won't be any issues when you you're playing.

Yeah but are Multiplatform developers going to program 2 different versions of game one with SSD support one without for the xbox? They might just say screw the SSD its running xbox one we gotta support that crap first maybe bump up there resolution for series x or something and skip ssd support.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Fedor

@ProtossRushX said:
@Bond007uk said:
@ProtossRushX said:

Yeah but are Multiplatform developers going to program 2 different versions of game one with SSD support one without for the xbox? They might just say screw the SSD its running xbox one we gotta support that crap first maybe bump up there resolution for series x or something and skip ssd support.

What next gen console doesn't have an SSD?

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ProtossRushX

@fedor said:
@ProtossRushX said:
@Bond007uk said:
@ProtossRushX said:

Microsoft said they have. a 2 year plan to help support the original VCR xbox one with games. I didn't want the support im ready to move on honestly.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Fedor

@ProtossRushX said:
@fedor said:
@ProtossRushX said:
@Bond007uk said:
@ProtossRushX said:

Microsoft said they have. a 2 year plan to help support the original VCR xbox one with games. I didn't want the support im ready to move on honestly.

3rd party devs aren't beholden to that... What are you on about?

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 16686 Posts

You guys act like you've never heard of RAMDisk.

Wait...you haven't?

LAtech84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LAtech84
Member since 2017 • 338 Posts

@br0kenrabbit: I have heard of RamDisk . It is where you use your system Ram as storage and it is way faster than any SSD, but you are limited to how much of your RAM you can allocate to it. It is pretty cool though.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By br0kenrabbit

@latech84 said:

@br0kenrabbit: I have heard of RamDisk . It is where you use your system Ram as storage and it is way faster than any SSD, but you are limited to how much of your RAM you can allocate to it. It is pretty cool though.

Only limited based on your amount of RAM (or your mobos ability to support x amount of RAM). I've used some servers that run almost exclusively off RAMDisk.

On the gaming side, back in the day I'd load entire games into RAM (Vice City looking at you). Then it just got easier to use RAID once WinXP SP2 came out so I went that direction.

There's also Intel Optain and AMDs StoreMI. No experience with either.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 3020 Posts

No. No, it won't.

LAtech84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LAtech84
Member since 2017 • 338 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:
@latech84 said:

Only limited based on your amount of RAM (or your mobos ability to support x amount of RAM). I've used some servers that run almost exclusively off RAMDisk.

On the gaming side, back in the day I'd load entire games into RAM (Vice City looking at you). Then it just got easier to use RAID once WinXP SP2 came out so I went that direction.

There's also Intel Optain and AMDs StoreMI. No experience with either.

Yes that is all true what you wrote. All I know about Intel Optane (HDD with Optane) is that is keeps track of your most used data and applications and then uses an NVME based SSD to load that stuff quicker that you use frequently, so it is suppose to give you some of the speed like an SSD but while still having the storage of a HDD. It also helps with boot speed. I have a computer with it at work and it is faster than a HDD only system but slower for sure than a SSD only system. Also yes loading games like Vice city into a RamDisk is a great idea. Also yes Servers can have insane amounts of RAM and would work great with RamDisk for sure.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 3020 Posts

@ProtossRushX: "SSD support" is about as much of a real technical term as "blast processing" was back in the 90s.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 1919 Posts

I love how console gamers think console technology is some mystical black magic unaccessible by superior PCs

filthyn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 filthyn00b

my computer has 64 gb of ram, when are consoles gonna catch up? in 20 years?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 14136 Posts

I've been thinking about throwing out my PC because of this very concern. Nothing firm, yet. But the idea's gellin

filthyn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 filthyn00b

@xantufrog: must be an intel celeron.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#28  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 12849 Posts

@xantufrog said:

I've been thinking about throwing out my PC because of this very concern. Nothing firm, yet. But the idea's gellin

Yes, me too. My 3080 Ti will not be able to compete with these consoles and their beastly SSDs. I worry if the games will be able to run at all.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 br0kenrabbit

@BassMan said:

Yes, me too. My 3080 Ti will not be able to compete with these consoles and their beastly SSDs. I worry if the games will be able to run at all.

I bet your keyboard doesn't even have analog controls. :-p

filthyn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 filthyn00b

@BassMan: ya goddamn it, those consoles are godlike!

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BassMan

@br0kenrabbit said:
@BassMan said:

I bet your keyboard doesn't even have analog controls. :-p

Yeah, the damn keyboard has no analog controls. I have to connect a separate controller. WTF?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BassMan
@filthyn00b said:

@BassMan: ya goddamn it, those consoles are godlike!

It's the second coming man...

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#33  Edited By rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 1920 Posts

"PC gamers" range in potato to really powerful pcs.

I think that mainstream PC (+/- around steam hardware), will be left behind by consoles on the first few years but only that short time.

Current PCs, maybe with an AMD 3600, 16 GB RAM, 8GB VRAM, $ 300 ampere, nvme x4 might easily brute force to PS5 levels.

What's great about PC is that you can also use lower settings to offset many things.

The SSD systems for next gen consoles do have built in decompressions roughly equivalent to 2 cores (series) or more (ps5) but new midrange pcs have higher clocked cpus with x4 more cache (not the desktop apu ryzen variants), so I'm not sure how they'll compare directly.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 1174 Posts

PS5 SSD is overhyped and no multiplat will make use of it anyway, so it will have no impact on PC + we already know that a regular SATA SSD is no different in gaming that the best Nvme.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 rzxv04

@rmpumper said:

PS5 SSD is overhyped and no multiplat will make use of it anyway, so it will have no impact on PC + we already know that a regular SATA SSD is no different in gaming that the best Nvme.

Isn't this mostly true because big developers didn't bother because they're not confident until consoles adapt to next gen ssd?

Some already said that it will probably take about 2 years before developers finally ween off slower drives, too.

It seems that consoles pushing for nvme, means nvme on pc will finally be able to flex so it sounds like a good thing.

Impact on some pc owners can be positive.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#36 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 42241 Posts

I think the whole "load time" aspects of games isn't that much of a deal for the average consumer and much like 4K, is something being oversold.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rzxv04

@uninspiredcup said:

I think the whole "load time" aspects of games isn't that much of a deal for the average consumer and much like 4K, is something being oversold.

We'll probably be spoiled by it where it would be quite annoying going back to older systems. At least there's b/c so we don't really have to do that.

Maybe some b/c games on the PS5 won't take proper advantage of it though.

From what I can understand and maybe what some seem to be missing is how next gen SSDs could make smaller footprints on RAM. You might not need as much RAM as you would without it. Maybe they can do something else besides massive "load time" improvements like putting many different kinds of individually unique assets on screen as long as it's within rendering budget.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 4190 Posts

The PS5 SSD is so powerful that when the console won't be in use, i'll just tape its SSD to my pc to increase its performance. Its simply out of this world.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#39 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

PS5 SSD is a game changer, GPUs are a thing of the past.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#40  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 7959 Posts

No because there are already SSD options (have been for a while now) that are twice to almost three times faster than the PS5 SSD using m.2 pci-e raid cards that cost as little as $50.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1031 Posts

Console only user's talk like SSD is a new thing that hasn't existed in gaming before, well not on console's anyway. I've been using an SSD on my PCs since 2015. Welcome to 2015 console gamer's!

Since PC's are up-gradable with the latest technology why would they get 'left behind' in the SSD race? If anything they'll be even better. Honestly the hype about the PS5 SSD has to stop.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4029 Posts

@rmpumper: I think you are wrong about multiplats not using the faster SSD, developers optimise for the hardware provided. If they can offload things like textures from the VRAM if the SSD is able to swap it in without hurting performance it means you don't require as much VRAM, so it means you in some cases will be able to do more with less.

PC versions of those games could also use the functionality if VRAM is limited, it might impact performance more if there is no custom decompression chip and the CPU ends up having to do it, but it's better than not being able to run the game at all.

You might end up with games using half or less of real VRAM on the PS5 compared to everything else if the engine is written to take advantage of swapping in those textures when required. A lot of open world games are designed to do that anyway just make it more heavy on the disk, reduce the VRAM cache requirement, done. Now you can use the VRAM saved for something else.

Might also be the end of loading screens for those games as a fraction of the assets have to be loaded in before the game starts.

Of course PCs will be able to play those same games with brute force, GPUs with more VRAM will be required. But I've heard rumours AMD will be making similar decompression chips available to the PC market anyway, and fast SSDs are already avilable to the PC market. Games will just end up requiring either more VRAM of a fast SSD + AMD hardware to run.

Might give Nvidia a kick up the nuts, unless they make their GPUs compatible with AMD hardware standards.

RIP Intel though.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rzxv04

@pelvist said:

No because there are already SSD options (have been for a while now) that are twice to almost three times faster than the PS5 SSD using m.2 pci-e raid cards that cost as little as $50.

That's pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffxkvf4KOt0

AFAIK, games mostly benefit from Read and it seems that Read didn't boost much and still at 5GB?

NVME isn't the biggest thing. PCs has had that for a while. It's the dedicated decompression systems: SFS/Zlib for Xbox Series that can get up to 6gb and PS5's Kraken that gets up to 9gb.

Later on, PC might be able to adapt these built into h/w and get even more powerful but even right now, PC can just brute force these since $ 800-900 pcs might have faster CPUs, more cache, more memory.

It's quite a leap from last gen's rapidly aging hdd tech to now pioneering tech for mainstream use. Same with consoles CPUs, are in now much better position compared to super weak CPUs last gen.

I think it was easier to cram PS4 pc equivalent h/w back then that costs around the PS4's MSRP of $ 400 than it is to do the same with Series X/PS5 but once we get closer to release. The gap will probably shrink significantly thanks to newer pc GPUs and more common yet fast pc nvmes.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pedro

@rzxv04 said:
@pelvist said:

That's pretty cool.

AFAIK, games mostly benefit from Read and it seems that Read didn't boost much and still at 5GB?

NVME isn't the biggest thing. PCs has had that for a while. It's the dedicated decompression systems: SFS/Zlib for Xbox Series that can get up to 6gb and PS5's Kraken that gets up to 9gb.

Later on, PC might be able to adapt these built into h/w and get even more powerful but even right now, PC can just brute force these since $ 800-900 pcs might have faster CPUs, more cache, more memory.

It's quite a leap from last gen's rapidly aging hdd tech to now pioneering tech for mainstream use. Same with consoles CPUs, are in now much better position compared to super weak CPUs last gen.

I think it was easier to cram PS4 pc equivalent h/w back then that costs around the PS4's MSRP of $ 400 than it is to do the same with Series X/PS5 but once we get closer to release. The gap will probably shrink significantly thanks to newer pc GPUs and more common yet fast pc nvmes.

Why do you think that dedicated decompression would make a difference when a faster NvMe SSD didn't make a difference compared to slower SATA SSD in loading games?

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 rzxv04

@Pedro said:
@rzxv04 said:
@pelvist said:

That's pretty cool.

Why do you think that dedicated decompression would make a difference when a faster NvMe SSD didn't make a difference compared to slower SATA SSD in loading games?

Some say it's because devs didn't bother with them much for a lot of current titles. Now it will be a standard so devs will likely push more into squeezing current, popular/mainstream nvmes on pc. I'm guessing they're still heavily baselined on HDDs for a lot of the big projects that's come out this year.

Not sure if Linus is the most reliable but afaik, others like digital foundry and cherno have similar sentiments.

5:25

https://youtu.be/4ehDRCE1Z38?t=325

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 48274 Posts

I prefer PC because of non-hardware stuff.

The better performance is just icing on the cake.

I'd sooner play games in "Potato mode" at 1080p with an old 5400 rpm HDD before I get a console and play games at 4K. I'd miss out on so much if I swapped to console.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 rzxv04

@mrbojangles25 said:

I prefer PC because of non-hardware stuff.

The better performance is just icing on the cake.

I'd sooner play games in "Potato mode" at 1080p with an old 5400 rpm HDD before I get a console and play games at 4K. I'd miss out on so much if I swapped to console.

I'm taking a break from pc gaming but nothing will ever come close to my enjoyment of mmorpgs, love hate with mobas and that feeling of being in love with Crysis way back when.

Alt-tabbing in and out of games then onto the web is also quite the drug for me.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#48  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 7959 Posts

@rzxv04: I was researching some a months ago and iv been looking at a lot of tests, specifically for the gen 3 Asus Hyper m.2 that you can pick up now for about £40. The read speeds were always around the same as the write for random, linear and buffered, up to 15gb/sec buffered on that from what I remember.

The gen 4 ones i looked into were very expensive but one could reach speeds up to 26 gB/sec.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Pedro

@rzxv04 said:

Some say it's because devs didn't bother with them much for a lot of current titles. Now it will be a standard so devs will likely push more into squeezing current, popular/mainstream nvmes on pc. I'm guessing they're still heavily baselined on HDDs for a lot of the big projects that's come out this year.

Not sure if Linus is the most reliable but afaik, others like digital foundry and cherno have similar sentiments.

The developer doesn't need to do anything for faster transfer rates. Its a request to the system and the system responds. Nothing else. If a faster drive isn't further decreasing the load times then transfer rates is not the bottleneck. As stated before loading times are not exclusively the rate at which data is dumped into memory.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 rzxv04

@Pedro said:
@rzxv04 said:

The developer doesn't need to do anything for faster transfer rates. Its a request to the system and the system responds. Nothing else. If a faster drive isn't further decreasing the load times then transfer rates is not the bottleneck. As stated before loading times are not exclusively the rate at which data is dumped into memory.

I'm not sure if it's a non sequitur but devs no longer have to have long crawlspaces built into active gameplay as with current gen titles. If it's not just the SSD per se, it's also the controller and APU but from what I read, it's implied that there's little CPU involved for handling the SSD, so SSD controller's the primary driving force for next gen loads?

Maybe slow loads and current gen design of "long elevator rides" and "tunnels" are also due to how current gen decompressions rely on CPU mostly?