will OUYA succeed?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dvalo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 dvalo9
Member since 2010 • 1301 Posts

The console, which is basically a very powerful Android smartphone without a screen that?s connected to your TV, is set to launch for as little as $99! The project itself got almost all of it?s funding from it?s Kickstarter Campaign which launched about 2 weeks ago with the target of making $950.000 and has already made an amazing $4.9 million! In actual fact, they achieved their goal in the first 24 hours!

Now, some people are hailing this device as the next big thing to hit the gaming industry but others aren?t so optimistic. When you look at the specs of the device (which I will list in full below), it doesn?t really seem any more powerful than a HTC One X or Samsung Galaxy SIII. As I said before, it is android based so it will gain most of it?s early gaming titles from Google Play but may create it?s own marketplace over time.

My worry is that, with the breakneck speed at with phone processors are evolving today, it will not be very long at all before this device becomes pretty obsolete but as always, only time can really tell. The device is set to launch next year, it?s open source and it?s completely hackable (or so we?ve been told). Here is a link to the consoles Kickstarter page and specs are below.

* Tegra3 quad-core processor
* 1GB RAM
* 8GB of internal flash storage
* HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
* WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
* Bluetooth LE 4.0
* USB 2.0 (one)
* Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad

ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ActionRemix
Member since 2011 • 5640 Posts

No. It's going to be a Minecraft and retro machine. Java is not suitable for developing the type of games you'd see on a contemporary console.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

It won't be commercially succesful in the "mainstream" market,compared to the "Big three",I would say,but I can also see some nice hobbyst groups forming around it,if it's truly as hackable and open as announced...

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

Will OUYA succeed ? yes.

Will it succeed to compete and be a threat to the big boys? no.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Well I just noticed that it supports Unity, which I have a game semi made using that engine. Port incoming :P

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

I never wanted a system to fail, and that wont change with Ouya.. I do hope it succeeds in getting attention since I honestly believe there are many gamers who might be interested in the system..

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

Depends on the games.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
I'm genuinely excited about it, its so fresh and cheap. But it'll need exclusives for me to get one because I have an iPad.
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 trugs26

When I think about it though, I honestly don't see the point of it. What does it provide that a PC doesn't? There are ways for indie developers to get their games out there using webplayers, online stores like Steam, personal websites for distribution, etc. What does OUYA actually bring to the table?

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
no chance.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

When I think about it though, I honestly don't see the point of it. What does it provide that a PC doesn't? There are ways for indie developers to get their games out there using webplayers, online stores like Steam, personal websites for distribution, etc. What does OUYA actually bring to the table?

trugs26
Some random free android games which player will have a "choice" to pay in-game cash :-s . Modding are good, but with that spec, what kind of games are gonna be there? If the gameplay aren't interesting, what's the point of modding.
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

No!It will fail miserably.

xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
If it's as open sourced as they are claiming I can see the device be totally re-designed by the community to just be a small media hub for the living room and just happens to play games which would then put in in competition with Boxee, Roku, Apple TV etc etc. For 100 bucks I'll probably get one since it isn't that expensive and I've wasted 100 bucks on worse things before.
HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

No. It's going to be a Minecraft and retro machine. Java is not suitable for developing the type of games you'd see on a contemporary console.

ActionRemix

It's not using Java...

DerpyMcDerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 DerpyMcDerp
Member since 2010 • 1165 Posts

No, Ouya's communistic system of free content and easy hackability won't work. Developers can't and won't work for free and gamers will always try to get what they want for free, even if it means illegally stealing developers' work (i.e. the PC gaming community and the massive piracy that's killing the industry). It might seem to work at first, but eventually the entire system will collapse... Just like every other time the ideals of Communism have entered man's heart.

Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

Lol. Phone hardware (crap). Android OS (crap). CEO is a random house wife (crap). None of those relate to gaming. Nothing to see here.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#17 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

eh it only got popular for a week cause of it's insane $1 million funding that was litterally made overnight.

CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CDUB316
Member since 2009 • 6589 Posts

it is going to be hacker and mod friendly...that alone will make it a success

a threat to the big three? not at all whatsoever

but profitable, yes

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

no developers will develop for this even devs who make 99 cent games, why would you support a console that can be easily hacked? You know people are going to pirate your games and with the word "hackable" being used as the main driving point with the system its basically telling people its okay to do it. Its cool for us consumers but no one is thinking about the developers.

The_RedLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 The_RedLion
Member since 2009 • 1942 Posts
Lolno. It does nothing any PC or smartphone can't do.
CEO is a random house wife (crap).Mr_BillGates
Lolno. She was VP at GameFly, Vivendi and IGN. From all the bad things you can say about the Ouya (the ared plenty), that is has newbies employed is not one of them.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
It's not trying to compete with Nintendo, SOny and MS. It's a completely different device. I'm excited for it :)
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 trugs26

[QUOTE="ActionRemix"]

HyperWarlock

It's not using Java...

Minecraft (except the iOS version) is done in Java, and most apps on Android are done in Java.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

no because some of the first things released will be emulators and I expect we'll see lawsuits from sony and nintendo.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

no because some of the first things released will be emulators and I expect we'll see lawsuits from sony and nintendo.

WilliamRLBaker

Nintendo and Sony won't be able to sue the Ouya folk because a third party entity made emulators for the device. If that was the case, Sega, Atari, Sony, and Nintendo would be rolling around in massive stacks of HP, Microsoft, Dell, and Gateway money from people making emulators and trading roms on those devices.

StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 StatusShuffle
Member since 2012 • 1908 Posts
It will succeed like the Hyperscan succeeded.
Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12397 Posts
It'll do well for what it is. Don't expect this thing to be some sort of huge hit.
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#27 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

i dunno probably kinda of maybe

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12397 Posts

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

Senor_Kami

Nintendo and Sony won't be able to sue the Ouya folk because a third party entity made emulators for the device. If that was the case, Sega, Atari, Sony, and Nintendo would be rolling around in massive stacks of HP, Microsoft, Dell, and Gateway money from people making emulators and trading roms on those devices.

The problem isn't the emulator. The real issue is if they officially supply the ROM's because they are illegally suppling games.
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Masenkoe

[QUOTE="Senor_Kami"]

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

Nonstop-Madness

The problem isn't the emulator. The real issue is if they officially supply the ROM's because they are illegally suppling games.

But they won't, that's just stupid.

JRPGs_Suck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JRPGs_Suck
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
OUYA will flop.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

[QUOTE="Nonstop-Madness"]The problem isn't the emulator. The real issue is if they officially supply the ROM's because they are illegally suppling games. Masenkoe

Yeah, this guy kinda nailed it. I think it's against the rules to call people stupid, so I'll say that you are an absolute, complete, and utter genius if you think the company behind Ouya is going to officially distribute illegal roms of retro games.

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

I think it will be okay but I see it being another Onlive.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

Maybe. Personnally I'm not sure what to think of it.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

Well I just noticed that it supports Unity, which I have a game semi made using that engine. Port incoming :P

trugs26

Hahaha that's awessome. Good luck with that.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Masenkoe

[QUOTE="Masenkoe"][QUOTE="Nonstop-Madness"]The problem isn't the emulator. The real issue is if they officially supply the ROM's because they are illegally suppling games. Senor_Kami

Yeah, this guy kinda nailed it. I think it's against the rules to call people stupid, so I'll say that you are an absolute, complete, and utter genius if you think the company behind Ouya is going to officially distribute illegal roms of retro games.

I didn't say he was stupid I'm just sayin no company would ever do that. You're right.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

i think it will. it is designed for adrioid games and games like minecraft ect like xbox live arcade games. arcade style games are becoming the new thing. short and week and cheap.

on top of that when u buy the system it comes with like 10 free high class games like mincraft

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Depends on what you meen by succed if you mean push 50 million units, no way. Perhaps it can do ok and sell about a million. but i see to many problems. And in the end of the day its nothing more than a tablet in a box.

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

It will have its own market but it wont be threat for the big three.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Probably won't see the same kind of success as any of the big three, but it should survive. That being said, I'll be passing on it.
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

If it suceeds, it will have found one hell of a niche market

Avatar image for HD_audio_CoYotE
HD_audio_CoYotE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 HD_audio_CoYotE
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

I'm confident it will work! I am excited about it and we ordered a console and a dev-kit allready.

And come on guys.

This will be (hopefully) a dreambox for indie-gamers and developers as well :)

And at least we have a good and cheap gaming toy here that we can put in our collection.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

I do not think so; at least, if hisory repeats itself.

Ouya's model was tried before - the First generation of video game consoles. Atari did not have any control over the games that were not first party. All you needed was a computer that could write the code, and you could make your own games. This ended up being a huge issue because inevitably there were 100s of incredibly crap-tastic games that came out for the first generation systems in the early 80s. It ended up causing Atari's downfall, and was a main contributor to the great video game crash of 1983.

Nintendo saved the industry with the NES - not just by creating new and innovative titles, but also by forcing all game developers to pass Nintendo's QA.

With Ouya, the Atari (and ColecoVision, Odyssey, and Intellivision for that matter) business model is being applied: open source game development. History has proven that is not a good thing.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts

Ouya's model was tried before - the First generation of video game consoles. Atari did not have any control over the games that were not first party. All you needed was a computer that could write the code, and you could make your own games. This ended up being a huge issue because inevitably there were 100s of incredibly crap-tastic games that came out for the first generation systems in the early 80s. It ended up causing Atari's downfall, and was a main contributor to the great video game crash of 1983.

Nintendo saved the industry with the NES - not just by creating new and innovative titles, but also by forcing all game developers to pass Nintendo's QA.

With Ouya, the Atari (and ColecoVision, Odyssey, and Intellivision for that matter) business model is being applied: open source game development. History has proven that is not a good thing.

StormyJoe
Were those Atari homebrews being sold at full retail price though? To an unsuspecting market without the benefit of user reviews or the internet? The beauty of this model is almost risk free pricing and a global word of mouth.
StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

[QUOTE="StormyJoe"]

tomarlyn

Were those Atari homebrews being sold at full retail price though? To an unsuspecting market without the benefit of user reviews or the internet? The beauty of this model is almost risk free pricing and a global word of mouth.

Yes, they were. For evey Yars Revenge or River Raid, you had and E.T., FireFly, and Indiana Jones. There were game magazines back then, and people did read them, but that didn't help the average parent who saw nice box art and thought "I think my kid may like this game". Some of them were cheap - I seem to remember using one weeks of my allowence to buy a Frogger clone.

Still, the point is, with out a governing body to QA (and reject) titles, there's probably going to be some trouble. I suppose they could find a way to aviod that, but I haven't seen anything in that regards.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#45 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Maybe someone will buy it. Personally I have no interest in paying $100 to play the same games I can play on my phone on my TV.

EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts

StormyJoe
How is that any different from what's going on with the App Store on iOS, or on Google Play? You also have to remember that a lot of these games will either F2P, free or cost $0.99.