Will Nintendo rehash the same map for the 3rd time in a row in the next Zelda?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

hardwenzen  Online

Poll Will Nintendo rehash the same map for the 3rd time in a row in the next Zelda? (35 votes)

Yes 37%
No 63%

They've taken a whole generation to rerelease BOTW with a glue mechanics and copy pasted sky islands. Are we about to wait until 2029 for a third game in a row to be in the exact same enviroment, but with a new gimmick added to it?

• 
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61608 Posts

As much as it's shitty that they built upon BotW as opposed to a whole new game, TotK ended up being absolutely incredible.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 45002 Posts

If it’s as fantastic as Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom then they can do whatever they want. Tears of the Kingdom added plenty of great things to the game. The sky level and underground were very good. Underground was a massive area to explore. The temples were a lot of fun. Of course the new mechanics gave a crazy amount of gameplay options. Not sure how they’ll top themselves with the next Zelda but Nintendo always seems to find a way to do so.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 40995 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

As much as it's shitty that they built upon BotW as opposed to a whole new game, TotK ended up being absolutely incredible.

But for the third time in a row, what kind of a gimmick could they even add to freshen up the experience?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61608 Posts

Ahhh... More bots.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34961 Posts

Nah. Will be very interesting to see wtf they'll do next.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#7 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3759 Posts

Totk was really just another master quest of botw. Complete waste of $60.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3140 Posts

Lol zelda

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24137 Posts

Someone is salty the discussion in the other thread didn't go their way.

"we were able to implement all of the elements that we wanted to achieve in this world and this story, so there will not be any DLC. Please continue to enjoy the vast world of Hyrule."

But the answer is a very likely no.

TotK was in many ways a SMG2 type of deal where they had a lot of ideas from their predecessor they just couldnt put into the base game. So they put them in a sequel.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hardwenzen  Online

@Maroxad said:

"we were able to implement all of the elements that we wanted to achieve in this world and this story, so there will not be any DLC. Please continue to enjoy the vast world of Hyrule."

TotK was in many ways a SMG2 type of deal where they had a lot of ideas from their predecessor they just couldnt put into the base game. So they put them in a sequel.

After their extremely pathetic dlc (if you can even call it that) in botw, i think its pretty clear that Nintendo isn't capable of creating downloadable content, so they said f it for totk (obviously).

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Maroxad

@hardwenzen said:
@Maroxad said:

After their extremely pathetic dlc (if you can even call it that) in botw, i think its pretty clear that Nintendo isn't capable of creating downloadable content, so they said f it for totk (obviously).

More conjecture from Wenzen. DLC has been profitable for Nintendo. And a business's goal is to make money.

What is likely is that Nintendo had no idea what to do with DLC. Since they used up their last ideas for TOTK.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hardwenzen  Online

@Maroxad said:
@hardwenzen said:
@Maroxad said:

More conjecture from Wenzen. DLC has been profitable for Nintendo. And a business's goal is to make money.

What is likely is that Nintendo had no idea what to do with DLC. Since they used up their last ideas for TOTK.

Who is talking about profit? When you funnel everyone into one product because the system is missing on all third party, of course it has to be at least a bit profitable with 100M+ systems in the wild. Nobody is talking about profits, but the quality of their dlc's. Its pathetically bad. Zero effort put into it.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2640 Posts

Even the OP knows that they won't use this map again. Pointless thread.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hardwenzen  Online

@warm_gun said:

You wouldn't think they'd reuse the same map twice in a row, so why would you assume it won't be done for the third time in a row? Not like it stopped them from getting 10/10 all over the place.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7268 Posts

Hope so. Would love more sky in the next game. It’s the greatest map in the history of gaming. It’s an open world map done right.

So sick of these graphical gimmicky open world like Eldin Ring, Skyrim, etc.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hardwenzen  Online

@mesome713 said:

Hope so. Would love more sky in the next game. It’s the greatest map in the history of gaming. It’s an open world map done right.

So sick of these graphical gimmicky open world like Eldin Ring, Skyrim, etc.

ER looks like dogwater technically so your graphics are gimmick trolling doesn't apply to that game🤗

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Warm_Gun
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:

You wouldn't think they'd reuse the same map twice in a row, so why would you assume it won't be done for the third time in a row? Not like it stopped them from getting 10/10 all over the place.

"You wouldn't think they'd reuse the same assets twice in a row, so why would you assume it won't be done for the third time in a row with The Wind Waker? Not like it stopped Majora's Mask from getting 9 and 10/10 all over the place."

You're a joker if you think they will use this map again.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hardwenzen  Online

@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:

"You wouldn't think they'd reuse the same assets twice in a row, so why would you assume it won't be done for the third time in a row with The Wind Waker? Not like it stopped Majora's Mask from getting 9 and 10/10 all over the place."

You're a joker if you think they will use this map again.

If i made this thread before totk was shown, you would've told me the same thing during the botw days😁

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Warm_Gun

You ignored the comparison (Majora's Mask reusing assets from Ocarina and then Wind Waker on a new console having new assets) because you know you grasped at straws for this topic. The chance is so slim that it's not worth asking.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hardwenzen  Online

@warm_gun said:

You ignored the comparison (Majora's Mask reusing assets from Ocarina and then Wind Waker on a new console having new assets) because you know you grasped at straws for this topic. The chance is so slim that it's not worth asking.

This is not reusing assets. Tons of games do that, and while i am not a fan, you gotta deal with it. What totk did is reuse the whole world😆Now that is something you never see.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16218 Posts

If Yakuza (yakuza main + Judgement series) and spin off able to recycle Kamurocho for 11 times and fans lap it up, why not.

I mean its not like its foreign to Nintendo all Mario games looks and play the same yet for some reason is received well.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1620 Posts

They might, but at least it will be somewhat of a graphical upgrade. Perhaps they will add a dark world or some new locations to visit.

But do we even know if Nintendo will be doing a direct follow up? They could be doing a different story and location but with similar gameplay.

I like the exploration coming back to Zelda, but I hope they do something a bit different next time. TotK didn't hold my interest, but maybe I'm an outlier. What they did was nice but having the depths and the few sky locations wasn't enough to add to the exploration. Personally I don't want a similar map. (An updated look and different approach to story, and combat scenarios, would be appreciated too.) Maybe I was hoping for more from the caves and dungeons? I don't know what it is missing but I am sure Nintendo will continue to come up with ideas.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mesome713

@girlusocrazy: O man, the Depths was a masterpiece. Has to be the greatest addition to a map ever made. And how they realistically matched was just masterful. Just looking at big mountains in the Depths and knowing its because a river or body of water was above. Chefs Kiss. Too many developers are lazy on open world design these days. Only focusing on graphical gimmicks with zero substance.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13683 Posts

That art style for Ocarina of Time underneath in OP is nasty. I'd rather play the original.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Maroxad

@girlusocrazy: I think a Dark World is a plausible thing to add if they continue with this story.

Other things they can do is revisit other parts of Hyrule (see Zelda 2), set it in another era, or set it in another country.

@hardwenzen said:

ER looks like dogwater technically so your graphics are gimmick trolling doesn't apply to that game🤗

It plays like dogwater too.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#26  Edited By Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26144 Posts

I mean they didn’t do that with TotK either. It has the BotW map in it, but it doesn’t rehash it.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 23275 Posts

I'm in the midst of playing windwaker for the first time and my goodness do I miss this kind of Zelda game.... I LOVE breath of the wild, and tears of the kingdom is certainly designed well for folks looking for that sort of adventure.... I think for me I'm ready tk return to dungeons and more linear paths of gameplay.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34961 Posts

@TheEroica said:

I'm in the midst of playing windwaker for the first time and my goodness do I miss this kind of Zelda game.... I LOVE breath of the wild, and tears of the kingdom is certainly designed well for folks looking for that sort of adventure.... I think for me I'm ready tk return to dungeons and more linear paths of gameplay.

I also love BotW and TotK, and I agree. Really miss those dungeons, and Zelda did it best.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44495 Posts

One thing's for certain. Nintendont could rehash it a dozen times and it'll still get a GS 10/10. lol :P

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hardwenzen  Online

@Maroxad said:
@hardwenzen said:

It plays like dogwater too.

From calling it SHIT, to going as far as to call it dogwater? My god. I have never seen anybody troll Elden Ring this much.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#31 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

Nintendo will rehash anything and it'll sell millions.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14997 Posts

How about a modern day era Zelda, set 300 years after ToTK, but instead of a Link, its a descendent of Link and Zelda.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Warm_Gun
@texasgoldrush said:

How about a modern day era Zelda, set 300 years after ToTK, but instead of a Link, its a descendent of Link and Zelda.

Zelda is supposed to be a fantasy toon version of the Middle Ages (mostly). 300 years from then would be the Renaissance or early Victorian. I would be down for those fruity Renaissance outfits and makeup. Definitely has to be a new map, though. I don't want a sequel to Tears.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By hardwenzen  Online

One thing is clear, Fromsoft has been creating better Zelda games than Nintendo will ever achieve. Not only more mature in a good way, they're also exploring a bunch of different settings and art styles, something that is simply too much to ask for from Nintendo.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Mesome713

@hardwenzen: All Fromsoft games feel the same. Just reskins of a Souls game. Also they have poor physics and unique way to achieve a single goal. They just copied epic big boss fights from Zelda but dumbed them down and require barely any thinking. Its just stab boss in butt and dodge. Zelda bosses you have to use your brain and use unique different ways to fight each boss. Zelda bosses are like an intellectual puzzle. Fromsoft is like a trial and error. You can actually train a monkey to play a Fromsoft game. Its that brainless.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hardwenzen  Online

@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: All Fromsoft games feel the same. Just reskins of a Souls game. Also they have poor physics and unique way to achieve a single goal. They just copied epic big boss fights from Zelda but dumbed them down and require barely any thinking. Its just stab boss in butt and dodge. Zelda bosses you have to use your brain and use unique different ways to fight each boss. Zelda bosses are like an intellectual puzzle. Fromsoft is like a trial and error. You can actually train a monkey to play a Fromsoft game. Its that brainless.

You begin your paragraph with all fromsoft titles feeling the same, while Nintendo took a WHOLE GENERATION to release totk, and they've essentially rereleased botw twice. If this is not feeling the same, i want the definition of "same" to be changed.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Warm_Gun

@mesome713: Yeah, whenever I see Elden Ring discounted, I think, "Do I really wanna pay this much money for Dark Souls IV after how disappointing and try-hard Dark Souls III was?" That dark medieval fantasy setting is so played out, the dodge roll makes me upset now for being so silly and the awful character creation with the small heads on long bodies enrages me. Every From game after Dark Souls II is too much about speed, when that isn't what made them so popular in the first place. Speed and trying to thwart you with cheap buffs and status effects.

I once wished that they would do something like the setting in the other Miyazaki's Nausicaa manga or Nihei's Blame manga, but they've gone in so hard on the git gud mantra that I don't care much anymore. Will still play it, but only when it's dirt cheap.

I also miss the outfits from Demon's Souls, where there were clear differences between what the men and women wore, even if it was the same armor, like with the fluted, leather, plated and black leather sets. The outfits in Elden Ring look so bland. Mostly long rags and heavy armor.

Also, Zelda got lock-on right twenty-three years before From still gets it wrong. By assigning it to the back button or left trigger instead of R3, the player can strafe and move backwards even when there is no target.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
@warm_gun said:

@mesome713: Yeah, whenever I see Elden Ring discounted, I think, "Do I really wanna pay this much money for Dark Souls IV after how disappointing and try-hard Dark Souls III was?" That dark medieval fantasy setting is so played out, the dodge roll makes me upset now for being so silly and the awful character creation with the small heads on long bodies enrages me. Every From game after Dark Souls II is too much about speed, when that isn't what made them so popular in the first place. Speed and trying to thwart you with cheap buffs and status effects.

I once wished that they would do something like the setting in the other Miyazaki's Nausicaa manga or Nihei's Blame manga, but they've gone in so hard on the git gud mantra that I don't care much anymore. Will still play it, but only when it's dirt cheap.

I also miss the outfits from Demon's Souls, where there were clear differences between what the men and women wore, even if it was the same armor, like with the fluted, leather, plated and black leather sets. The outfits in Elden Ring look so bland. Mostly long rags and heavy armor.

Also, Zelda got lock-on right twenty years before From still gets it wrong. By assigning it to the back button or left trigger instead of R3, the player can strafe and move backwards even when there is no target.

You're telling your story to someone who purchased a series X just to play Elden Ring

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Warm_Gun

More like Demon's Souls V, since Dark Souls is the Demon's Souls II they would have made if Sony didn't own it. So played out. Same combat and type of setting over and over and over again. The Zelda series changed far more over the years.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40  Edited By Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

I don't really play a lot of Zeldas but I thought the point was that they make two similar games for each gen? And then they sort of "reboot" the world/systems. As in, people knew TOTK was going to be BOTW 2 way before TOTK came out. And that the next game won't be BOTW 3 or TOTK 2 but something else entirely.

Based on what ( I think ) is:

OOT --> Majora

Twilight P --> Skyward Sword

BOTW --> TOTK

Wouldn't the next Zelda 2027-30 or so be a completely new redesigned experience? like maybe not cell shaded? maybe not open world?

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14997 Posts

@warm_gun said:
@texasgoldrush said:

Zelda is supposed to be a fantasy toon version of the Middle Ages (mostly). 300 years from then would be the Renaissance or early Victorian. I would be down for those fruity Renaissance outfits and makeup. Definitely has to be a new map, though. I don't want a sequel to Tears.

But it also has Sheikah and Zonai tech

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Maroxad
@texasgoldrush said:
@warm_gun said:
@texasgoldrush said:

But it also has Sheikah and Zonai tech

I definately wouldnt mind a FF7-style modern era Zelda.

Link can use both firearms and melee weaponry. Bayonetta and DMC already set a solid blueprint for that.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46953 Posts

I mean Saints Row did it too, I see absolutely no issue with it 🤷‍♂️

GTA did it with the stories spin-off games and the episodes for gta IV.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#44 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

The map of Hyrule was vastly modified from the original game to accomodate the two other new areas and it worked really well. BOTW was one of my favourate games on the last decade and TOTK was even better. I do think that using Hyrule again would be too much though, theyd have to do something really drastic like flood the whole place and make it a Windwakerish experience or something. Or just have link go somewhere other than Hyrule next time around.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
@pelvist said:

The map of Hyrule was vastly modified from the original game to accomodate the two other new areas and it worked really well. BOTW was one of my favourate games on the last decade and TOTK was even better. I do think that using Hyrule again would be too much though, theyd have to do something really drastic like flood the whole place and make it a Windwakerish experience or something. Or just have link go somewhere other than Hyrule next time around.

Every single person that i've heard, and have spent a couple hundreds hours playing botw, all of them were disappointed because of the map reuse. When you know what's on the other side of a mountain, the sense of discovery is gone.