Will new gen consoles be popular as last gens?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

I clearly remember when Xbox 360 released it was such a massive hit worldwide for its launch games as Gears of War, Perfect Dark Zero, Saints Row, Dead Rising. Every household was buying a Xbox 360. Also PS 3 had two awesome games at launch Resistance Fall of Man followed by Unchartered Drakes Fortune, but yeah it took 2-3 years to gain its foothold properly in market ( It was a very slow start for Sony) but it went to make some best hits from last gen. And above all Wii was smash hit amongst all ages consumers from day 1 for its vast range of games and innovative controller use.

Personally i found Xbox One, WiiU and PS 4 not having that appeal amongst users as launch platforms unlike its predeccesors. Tons of negetivity from day 1, lack of games, or games going multiplatform. Its just what i felt lol.

Do you think new gen consoles as Xbox One, PS 4 or Wii U will live upto popularity of last gens consoles as Xbox 360, PS 3 and Wii or already more popular or even surpass them ( might take some time to catch up) ? :)

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

@indzman: no they will not have the same popularity. Consoles are dying breed and consumers are buying less and less of them as each generation is released. consumers are still playing video games but now we are playing them on other platforms besides just consoles.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

I think so. I guess we'll see if combined console sales are close to last gen.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#4 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

Sure.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#5 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Can't say for sure. Sales are pretty good so far. That said, your threads are some of the best on SW IMO.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

As soon as they build up their libraries, sure. I'm only talking about the PS4 and X1. The Wii-U is in category all its own.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I hope so

Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts

So far sales have exceeded the PS3/X360 respectively. Once the holiday 2015 games start rolling out you'll see another big jump.

Also, it was expected that everyone that games would get a X360 or PS3 if they're upgrading from PS2/OG Xbox. It's the first time console gaming introduced Hd gaming and it blew everything we knew about graphics out of the water.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 43933 Posts

Not a chance since I think the Wii was the wildcard last gen and those who bought most of them aren't the type to go out and buy a new console every gen. We shall see.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@indzman said:

I clearly remember when Xbox 360 released it was such a massive hit worldwide for its launch games as Gears of War, Perfect Dark Zero, Saints Row, Dead Rising. Every household was buying a Xbox 360. Also PS 3 had two awesome games at launch Resistance Fall of Man followed by Unchartered Drakes Fortune, but yeah it took 2-3 years to gain its foothold properly in market ( It was a very slow start for Sony) but it went to make some best hits from last gen. And above all Wii was smash hit amongst all ages consumers from day 1 for its vast range of games and innovative controller use.

Personally i found Xbox One, WiiU and PS 4 not having that appeal amongst users as launch platforms unlike its predeccesors. Tons of negetivity from day 1, lack of games, or games going multiplatform. Its just what i felt lol.

Do you think new gen consoles as Xbox One, PS 4 or Wii U will live upto popularity of last gens consoles as Xbox 360, PS 3 and Wii or already more popular or even surpass them ( might take some time to catch up) ? :)

Fyi the start of last gen was terrible for the 360 with RROD issues and the PS3 was lacking in games and had a yellow light/bricking issue. This gen is already proving better than the previous first year of last gen and with 2015 (2nd year for PS4 and Xbone) look AMAZING, while the Wii U has a solid line up as well even though 2015 will be it's third year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I doubt it. Last gen sold a crazy amount of consoles for all 3 and I just can't see that repeating this time.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

@indzman said:

Fyi the start of last gen was terrible for the 360 with RROD issues and the PS3 was lacking in games and had a yellow light/bricking issue. This gen is already proving better than the previous first year of last gen and with 2015 (2nd year for PS4 and Xbone) look AMAZING, while the Wii U has a solid line up as well even though 2015 will be it's third year.

Yeah Xbox 360 had RROD issues very much lol, i personally got it thrice Heh. Are ONE and PS 4 having no technical problems at all ? Last i heard PS 4 has issues over One this time ( Blue Screen something). Is it true? :)

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Nope. Last gen sold around 260 million units over a incredibly long time. This generation should be shorter and should have less sales.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@indzman said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@indzman said:

Yeah Xbox 360 had RROD issues very much lol, i personally got it thrice Heh. Are ONE and PS 4 having no technical problems at all ? Last i heard PS 4 has issues over One this time ( Blue Screen something). Is it true? :)

No major tech problems with the Xbone and PS4, there's a sound issue some PS4's have with TV's which is minor (can be avoided by turning on the tv first before the PS4) which is the only tech problem I'm aware of between the two.

Also I went through 4 360's, 3 had the RROD and the last one I fried the HDD by playing Skyrim for 14 hours once >.>

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

It will be more popular. It will outsell last gen easily. Console gaming is thriving and far from dead.

Kingpin0114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Kingpin0114
Member since 2008 • 2607 Posts

Well this gen hopefully will not last 7+ years like last gen. It's pretty obvious that all three consoles will not sale 80+ million units this time either. So it will be less popular.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Time will tell, the last gen took almost 8 years to hit their sales figures before a new gen was released. This generation's consoles don't have the luxury of time though, in 8 years they will be so far behind technology notepads, cheap laptops and possibly even phones will be far more powerful. Unless they do hardware revisions (which I think will be likely) they'll be lucky to last 5 years.

I guess that means, I don't think they'll sell as many units as the gen 7 consoles.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#19 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

No BC the Wii sold alot and unless ps4 can reach 100 m even then Xbox one and wiiu will not make it to 70 m

dino7c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dino7c
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts

weird thing is RROD actually helped sales in some cases...I owned 3 360s but only one PS3 that is still going strong

dino7c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dino7c
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts

Wii was such a fad, not gonna see those sales again and really its probably a good things for video games in general

gamevet77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gamevet77
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

@indzman: The ps4 has currently sold on a record price. It still sold over a million units in November. This shows popularity is high.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#23  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19379 Posts

The way things are looking now, consoles this gen seem like they're selling at a similar pace to last gen. It doesn't seem like console sales are declining much at all.

FragzAU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FragzAU
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

As much as I love consoles, (as an Xbox player myself) This gen of consoles will most definately NOT get as many consoles sold. If sony and microsoft are lucky, they might reach 50-60 million consoles sold world wide before its completely dead. But nothing like the Xbox 360 and the PS3 that sold like around 100 million consoles.

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#25 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

Nope, assuming this gen doesn't last a lifetime like last did.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11120 Posts

@sayyy-gaa said:

@indzman: no they will not have the same popularity. Consoles are dying breed and consumers are buying less and less of them as each generation is released. consumers are still playing video games but now we are playing them on other platforms besides just consoles.

Lol what? Last generation was the biggest generation by far. Every generation since the first has grown.

This gen would be the first gen not to surpass its preceding generation's sales numbers.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@indzman said:

its just the shift of the new generation of "gamers" people prefer stuff to kill the large amounts of time they have because they don't go outside anymore and play with friends, have no responsibility, and get trophies for trying in school. so most would rather play freemuium games and huge time sinks that are cheap and they can spend thousands of hours in doing nothing. Also the massive spike of tablets and smartphones and their games.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22545 Posts

I don't think so, but that's based on what gen 7 offered compared to gen 8. Full blown console online gaming... Digital distribution... Coop and MP game modes becoming a major draw... All ushered in with gen 7. It was pretty landmark when you think about it... Gen 8 is playing by the already familiar formula of gen7 with an uptick in visuals. I can see it becoming stale inside of five years, especially if great game design and dynamic new ip don't grace us.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

yes it will.

Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Zero5000X
Member since 2004 • 8314 Posts

Of course not. A large part of the Wii's audience were extreme casuals. These people likely moved on to mobile gaming. On top of that last gen was the longest gen ever. I don't expect this one will be as long. I think this gen will come in around the same total numbers as the PS2/Xbox/GCN gen.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

@Mozelleple112 said:

@sayyy-gaa said:

Lol what? Last generation was the biggest generation by far. Every generation since the first has grown.

This gen would be the first gen not to surpass its preceding generation's sales numbers.

Exactly. Let's look at the numbers

Gen 5: Roughly 145 million.

Gen 6: Roughly 200 million.

Gen 7: Roughly 260 million

So with these numbers, over the last 20 years, it seems that console sales are increasing from gen to gen. Gen 5 you had the PS1 juggernaut, Gen 6 the PS2 uber juggernaut, and then Gen 7 with a more distributed sales scene between PS3/360 with the Wii on top.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#32 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

I highly doubt any of the current-gen systems will even get close to the sales of their predecessors with the single possible exception of the PS4. One because there are more competing platforms- all gaming devices considered- and two, this gen most likely wont last as long as last gen.

Wii vs Wii U - 101M vs 8M

PS3 vs PS4 - 82M+ vs 16M

360 vs Xbone - 82M+ vs 9M

NDS vs 3DS - 150M+ vs 47M

PSP vs Vita - 80M vs 9M

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33098 Posts

The PS4 is the only one that has the chance to do better than its predecessor, but it will be slightly better(probably). The xbox one and wiiu will sell significantly less than their predecessors(15+ million worse).Overall the console market will shrink below gen 6 levels and possibly around gen 5 or below gen 5,

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I doubt it. Consoles gained immense popularity last gen. High tech hardware for good money, and were also the two devices that really pushed forward in the media set top box arena. Nowadays you can stream from anywhere. There's even a dedicated market for that now. But as far as the gamer is concerned I believe sales will peak much sooner with this gen vs last, with wiiu picking up sales more and more over time.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

I kinda doubt it.

Last gen brought online gaming to the masses making access to it easier. Plus the Wii was a huge succes in the casual market. I doubt the succes of nintendo will be as big as last gen.

This gen brings more or less the same imo, just a little better tech. Nothing really groundbreaking.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#36 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19379 Posts

@super600 said:

The PS4 is the only one that has the chance to do better than its predecessor, but it will be slightly better(probably). The xbox one and wiiu will sell significantly less than their predecessors(15+ million worse).Overall the console market will shrink below gen 6 levels and possibly around gen 5 or below gen 5,

I doubt this gen will drop below Gen 6 levels. While the PS4 probably won't sell anywhere near PS2 numbers, the X1 and WU should at least sell a lot better than the Xbox and GameCube.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33098 Posts

@Jag85 said:

@super600 said:

I doubt this gen will drop below Gen 6 levels. While the PS4 probably won't sell anywhere near PS2 numbers, the X1 and WU should at least sell a lot better than the Xbox and GameCube.

The xbox one will sell better than the xbox, but I think time is starting to run out for the WiiU.I think the max the WiiU will sell is anywere from 15million-20million.