Will MS have the strongest console next gen?

• 94 results
#1 Edited by tormentos (29239 posts) -

There is a complete different body language of MS this time around regarding Scarlet and i think they may be a giveaway of MS having lower specs than sony again.

1-First things first when the xbox one X was unveil MS had no problem calling the xbox one X the most powerful console ever built period,in fact it was so confident it screamed 6TF,true 4k fastest frames and what not.

This time around MS body language is different,they didn't call scarlet the most powerful console ever built,they call it the most powerful console WE ever built which refer to them and not the industry like they did with the xbox one x.

Then the fact that no actual specs were given,contrary to how MS was with the xbox one X,and some of you may say is to early or sony hasn't say either,that is true but MS is the one standing in a conferent talking about its next gen console,which they openly claim is coming next year,on 2016 xbox one X specs were on lock 1 year before it launch,some how this ones are not confirmed yet because MS is not telling.

There may be a reason to this and is simply,saying we have a 12TF machine or something like that leave them open to a direct comparison with sony,which will surely exploit it.

I find rather odd to that they clain 4 times as powerful as the xbox one x,which make no sense AMD simply will not have a 24TF GPU ready for early next year,which leave me to think that MS is actually talking about Processing power CPU side and not actual GPU side.

So what do you think system wars?

It’s actually curious because one thing Microsoft was not doing was strutting about saying they had built the most powerful console ever made. Their chose of words was deliberate, they said it’s “the most powerful console we’ve ever made,” and there are rumblings from industry insiders that the PS5 actually might have a slight power edge over Scarlett. Back when it was PS4 Pro versus Xbox One X, all Microsoft could talk about was its power advantage. Now? Not so much.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2019/06/09/microsoft-fails-to-capitalize-on-sonys-absence-with-a-surprisingly-light-xbox-scarlett-reveal/#61b3557b1991

Edit.

#2 Edited by lundy86_4 (53856 posts) -

You are analyzing the English language of a native speaker? I don't mean to criticize, but... How can I not? Watch the announcement again.

#3 Posted by Random_Matt (4324 posts) -

I was miffed about their SSD used as virtual ram, what is that about?

#4 Posted by Calvincfb (0 posts) -

I couldn't care less. I go where the games are.

#5 Posted by dagubot (1382 posts) -

I think you spend too much time on these forums...

#6 Posted by mazuiface (932 posts) -

From the look of it, the PS5 and next Xbox will run almost the exact same hardware.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#7 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (5043 posts) -

Yeah. They're being cautious with their words this time. But who knows. Even if it's not, MS will just start fire-selling the thing regardless.

#8 Posted by lundy86_4 (53856 posts) -

@mazuiface said:

From the look of it, the PS5 and next Xbox will run almost the exact same hardware.

I wouldn't be surprised. MS realized they half-assed their initial release of the Xbox, and Sony knew the PS4 wasn't enough for newer displays. It seems they're going to be far more in-line this gen.

#9 Edited by xantufrog (11700 posts) -

Who knows. We don't have specs for either - and we do have the exact same marketing and manufacturer for both. Chances are they'll be very very similar

#10 Posted by NfamousLegend (371 posts) -

The power of the PS5 is not an exact known entity yet, so MS can't sit up there and claim it will be the most powerful next gen console. As for the 4X more power than One X they might have been referring to the CPU power as 8c16t zen2 will likely be about 4X faster than the pathetic Jaguar cores. No way the GPU is 4X faster than the X. It is curious that some news articles were saying with confidence that Anaconda is more "advanced" than PS5. However, since they are using Zen2, Navi, and an SSD I fail to see how it will be possible to be more advanced. More advanced does not equal more powerful.

#11 Posted by tormentos (29239 posts) -

@xantufrog said:

Who knows. We don't have specs for either - and we do have the exact same marketing and manufacturer for both. Chances are they'll be very very similar

Who knows if both actually lock the same hardware would not surprise me,damn that would be the end of the fun in this place..hahahaha

#12 Edited by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6495 posts) -

They were talking about the CPU when they said 4x faster.

The GPU won't even be 12TFLOPs. Navi 5700XT is a a $499 GPU with 9.7 TFLOPS.

I have been telling people for months now 9-10TFLOPS is what the consoles will get from AMD and even know you plebs think its a 12TFLOP GPU... You have any idea what TDP is?... Navi can't do 12TFLOPS at 150w on a $399 console.

#13 Posted by tormentos (29239 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

I have been telling people for months now 9-10TFLOPS is what the consoles will get from AMD and even know you plebs think its a 12TFLOP GPU... You have any idea what TDP is?... Navi can't do 12TFLOPS at 150w on a $399 console.

Completely agree so 4 times the performance of a Jaguar is that great?

I mean sure compare to what we have now,but even compare to a mid ryzen 2 from PC?

I think sony will not be far either for the same reason TDP.

#14 Posted by I_P_Daily (12577 posts) -

Its funny seeing someone (tormy) who clearly lives in the past talking about the future lol.

#15 Edited by xboxps2cube (1343 posts) -

I honestly think this machine will be more cloud based than anything. They kept talking about integration and faster load times.

#16 Edited by Juub1990 (8721 posts) -

MS body language? Who the hell is that MS character you're speaking of? I didn't see him on stage.

#17 Posted by lebanese_boy (15143 posts) -
@Juub1990 said:

MS body language? Who the hell is that MS character you're speaking of? I didn't see him on stage.

You didn't see that big round green "X" moving around on stage? Come on man get your eyes checked!

#18 Posted by michaelmikado (383 posts) -

Ive already poated this but im in the two sku camp. First the things we know. The next Xbox FAMILY is called scarlett. Xbox also said their next Xbox will share silicon with their Azure servers.

Ive always stated MSs low end (mainline) console will be navi based around 6-8Tflops. With Navis x1.25 ipc boost it will be a decent upgrade. We als head the terms x2 and x4 performance spoken by MS.

Anyway, lowend Lockhart will be lower than PS5, use Navi and GDDR6. High end anaconda will use Vega 64 with HBM2. Both will use Zen 2. Anaconda will out perform ps5 in raw Tflops.

#19 Posted by tormentos (29239 posts) -

@Juub1990 said:

Yeah you can play dumb is ok,specially after i explained exactly what i meant. :)

#20 Posted by Juub1990 (8721 posts) -
@tormentos said:

Yeah you can play dumb is ok,specially after i explained exactly what i meant. :)

Nah for real though, I have no idea. They're probably not fully aware of what Sony is doing anyway. Sony could change direction at the last minute so claiming most powerful console is premature. They'll likely be very close in power. They would have been almost the same last gen if MS hadn't gone full retard and add a 100$ extra for the Kinect. Could have put that extra cash towards a better GPU and keep a competitive price tag.

#21 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6495 posts) -

@tormentos said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Completely agree so 4 times the performance of a Jaguar is that great?

I mean sure compare to what we have now,but even compare to a mid ryzen 2 from PC?

I think sony will not be far either for the same reason TDP.

Its their number and we have no idea what they meant by 4x when it comes to the CPU... RAW IPC counts, I think they just threw it out there as a marketing thing.

We have no idea what the clocks are for the CPU's and Zen in general is pretty power hungry especially at 8 cores, a 1600X draw more power than a 8700K and the intel runs at much higher clock speeds. Or the 1500X and 7700K.

It could end up being a sub 3GHz CPU in the coming consoles... Zen 2 has improved IPC and the clock speeds went up a bit but TDP and core count are more or less the same as Zen+. Again fanboys got all hyped and fell for the 8 core 5GHz Ryzen 5 "leak".

Reality is for the coming consoles is that they are finally 4K/60 Ready... But there will be games that won't even be able to do 60FPS because developers have Ray Tracing now as a tool is in its infancy stages of optimisation and devours GPU's.

I expect better looking games but in terms of framerates and resolution I expect what we get with the X1X, the developers have little incentive to go 60FPS if its not a racing, fighting or FPS game and will always push graphics because they sell a game.

#22 Posted by sovkhan (1281 posts) -

Since when power was a thing???

#23 Posted by ToScA- (5775 posts) -

@sovkhan said:

Since when power was a thing???

You must be new here!

#24 Posted by Xabiss (2896 posts) -

Who the **** knows. I know I wouldn't trust a rabid fanboy making shit up in there head and this post is a perfect example of that.

#25 Posted by tormentos (29239 posts) -

@Xabiss said:

Who the **** knows. I know I wouldn't trust a rabid fanboy making shit up in there head and this post is a perfect example of that.

Microsoft Fails To Capitalize On Sony’s Absence With A Surprisingly Light Xbox Scarlett Reveal

It’s actually curious because one thing Microsoft was not doing was strutting about saying they had built the most powerful console ever made. Their chose of words was deliberate, they said it’s “the most powerful console we’ve ever made,” and there are rumblings from industry insiders that the PS5 actually might have a slight power edge over Scarlett. Back when it was PS4 Pro versus Xbox One X, all Microsoft could talk about was its power advantage. Now? Not so much.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2019/06/09/microsoft-fails-to-capitalize-on-sonys-absence-with-a-surprisingly-light-xbox-scarlett-reveal/#61b3557b1991

Oh yeah thank god i am a rabid fanboy,funny how sites came to the same conclusion i did..Hahahaa

MS wording says it all.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/new-xbox-console-project-scarlett-coming-next-year-and-it-eats-monsters-for-breakfast.1485739/page-4

Oh brother i think we will have another massive lemming extinction even bigger than in 2013.

#26 Posted by Xabiss (2896 posts) -
@tormentos said:
@Xabiss said:

Microsoft Fails To Capitalize On Sony’s Absence With A Surprisingly Light Xbox Scarlett Reveal

Oh yeah thank god i am a rabid fanboy,funny how sites came to the same conclusion i did..Hahahaa

MS wording says it all.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/new-xbox-console-project-scarlett-coming-next-year-and-it-eats-monsters-for-breakfast.1485739/page-4

Oh brother i think we will have another massive lemming extinction even bigger than in 2013.

Dude, that is your proof. No one knows shit right now and I am just going to wait to see the actual numbers. Give me a break. It still doesn't matter I will be purchasing the next Xbox and Playstation day one! The point is they will both be more powerful then what we have and that is all I need for me to purchase. Makes decisions easy when you are not a fanboy, but a gamer!

Also you ever think Microsoft is playing nice with their words because they have no idea what Playstations numbers are yet? I mean if they came out and said we have the most powerful console in the world and it wasn't you fanboys would just go ballistic.

#27 Posted by tormentos (29239 posts) -

@Xabiss said:

Dude, that is your proof. No one knows shit right now and I am just going to wait to see the actual numbers. Give me a break. It still doesn't matter I will be purchasing the next Xbox and Playstation day one! The point is they will both be more powerful then what we have and that is all I need for me to purchase. Makes decisions easy when you are not a fanboy, but a gamer!

Also you ever think Microsoft is playing nice with their words because they have no idea what Playstations numbers are yet? I mean if they came out and said we have the most powerful console in the world and it wasn't you fanboys would just go ballistic.

Well is more than i need considering you call me a rabid fanboy,for saying something even sites notice.

Or maybe they know something you don't.

#28 Edited by Xabiss (2896 posts) -
@tormentos said:
@Xabiss said:

Well is more than i need considering you call me a rabid fanboy,for saying something even sites notice.

Or maybe they know something you don't.

Well one thing is for sure. No one knows and Microsoft is probably playing it smart because Sony was very vague also. They might of not mentioned numbers because maybe they don't know or have finalized everything yet. Maybe they didn't want to stick their foot in their mouth not knowing Sony's numbers yet. Could you imagine what would happen on this forum and everywhere else if they said they were the most powerful and they ended up not being. Maybe they are building a system to reach a certain price point? See so many variables that I will just wait and see.

#29 Posted by Pedro (35644 posts) -

Um! You don't know, we don't know and until we know fanboy speculation is just fanatical gibberish.

#30 Edited by Archangel3371 (28553 posts) -

Well it’s certainly a possibility.

#31 Posted by Son-Goku7523 (955 posts) -

It's all up in the air now when just a few days ago lems were certain the Xbox Scarelett would destroy the PS5's specs because of a comment Phil made back in 2017 lol.

The truth is no one really knows, and I don't care either way. Sony's 1st party have shown they don't need superior specs to produce superior looking games to MS Studios. On 1.84TF Sony has been able to make some of the most beautiful and technically amazing games this gen. I don't care about multiplats since I have a powerful PC, so the exclusive games are what will ensure I buy a PS5 next gen.

#32 Posted by Pedro (35644 posts) -

@son-goku7523 said:

It's all up in the air now when just a few days ago lems were certain the Xbox Scarelett would destroy the PS5's specs because of a comment Phil made back in 2017 lol.

The truth is no one really knows, and I don't care either way. Sony's 1st party have shown they don't need superior specs to produce superior looking games to MS Studios. On 1.84TF Sony has been able to make some of the most beautiful and technically amazing games this gen. I don't care about multiplats since I have a powerful PC, so the exclusive games are what will ensure I buy a PS5 next gen.

Because they are idiots. Anyone claiming supremacy for next gen are factually ignorant.

With that said good games are good games whether they are exclusive or not. Besides exclusives are no longer hardware locked with streaming. It would be interesting what fanboys would be "bragging" about. LOL

#33 Posted by The-A-Baum (1370 posts) -

Hard to say Sony didnt even bother showing up!

Sony is dying for MS to show their hand first like last Gen. This regime will not make it that easy unless Sony waits until E3 next year. (Oh wait E3 will matters again to Cows?)

There were a lot of digs against old Xbox regime from Phil if you noticed "the next console is designed to play games first and foremost" and another that may also be pointed at the those calling PS5 a monster when they said at the end "This thing eats monsters for breakfast"

There is more time this week and hope to hear more from Xbox.,

#34 Posted by VFighter (5242 posts) -

It doesn't even matter, Sony has the games, end of story.

#35 Posted by Pedro (35644 posts) -

@the-a-baum said:

Sony is dying for MS to show their hand first like last Gen. This regime will not make it that easy unless Sony waits until E3 next year. (Oh wait E3 will matters again to Cows?)

There were a lot of digs against old Xbox regime from Phil if you noticed "the next console is designed to play games first and foremost" and another that may also be pointed at the those calling PS5 a monster when they said at the end "This thing eats monsters for breakfast"

Both companies are waiting for each other to show hands from the outside but the reality is that neither are going to reveal anything of substance until next year E3.

#36 Posted by tormentos (29239 posts) -

@the-a-baum said:

Same old NyaDC.

Yes and still won without showing up..lol

You lemming have one fantastic and incredible imagination,i say more than fantastic is EPIC the kind of crap you invent to defend MS is wow just incredible and totally based on a fitment of your imagination.

Phil was part of that regime in fact he admit his guild and took the blame as well because he know he was in for all of what the xbox one stand for since the beginning.

Yeah that is the reason why developers are rumoring the PS5 to be more powerful and the reason why MS didn't dare to say we built the most powerful console in the world..lol

#37 Posted by cainetao11 (36844 posts) -

It was easy to do with the X1X. The Pro was known to be 4tflops. PS5 specs aren’t known yet so to go out and state Scarlet is most powerful would be stupid.

#38 Posted by Pedro (35644 posts) -

@tormentos said:

Yes and still won without showing up..lol

You lemming have one fantastic and incredible imagination,i say more than fantastic is EPIC the kind of crap you invent to defend MS is wow just incredible and totally based on a fitment of your imagination.

You wrote that in sequence and couldn't see the irony. LMAO

#39 Posted by SecretPolice (35358 posts) -

Like me, MS is hiding a Yuuuge Anaconda so umm, yes. lol :P

Avatar image for superfluousreal
#40 Posted by SuperfluousReal (361 posts) -

The days of consoles being truly different are over, so i will be where the most powerful console is for next gen; PC.

#41 Posted by xantufrog (11700 posts) -

My Spidey senses tell me they will be virtually the same. The big difference will be marketing and philosophy - exclusives vs gamesforeveryone; buy our console vs giveusmoneyforgamesonewayoranother

#42 Posted by Pedro (35644 posts) -

@xantufrog said:

My Spidey senses tell me they will be virtually the same. The big difference will be marketing and philosophy - exclusives vs gamesforeveryone; buy our console vs giveusmoneyforgamesonewayoranother

You are ruining some folks religion with such nonsense. :P

#43 Posted by Howmakewood (5965 posts) -

maybe, maybe not

#44 Posted by kuu2 (11164 posts) -

Every gen they have so next gen will be no different.

#45 Posted by tdkmillsy (3137 posts) -

@xantufrog said:

and price

@cainetao11 said:

It was easy to do with the X1X. The Pro was known to be 4tflops. PS5 specs aren’t known yet so to go out and state Scarlet is most powerful would be stupid.

What he said.

They are following same path as the X launch. E3 2016 talk about it vaguely (like this E3) E3 2017 launch it (which they will do next year).

Sony could well have gone all out to try and have a better console, just like Microsoft have stepped up their game developers. But we don't know anything and at what cost?

We don't even know PS5 will be out next year yet. Why has Sony not said so, have they got something to hide.

You can make so much speculation out of rumours and opinions it just gets silly.

#46 Edited by shellcase86 (4528 posts) -

@son-goku7523 said:

Fair points. Regardless if the PS5 is more capable, and it's starting to look like this could actually happen, Son'y studios can put out some incredible stuff with modest hardware.

That stated, I was actually surprised/somewhat impressed with the games MS showed yesterday.

#47 Posted by Gatygun (1596 posts) -

Microsoft games will be played at the best visual quality and highest framerates because PC.

#48 Posted by tormentos (29239 posts) -

@tdkmillsy said:
@xantufrog said:

and price

@cainetao11 said:

What he said.

They are following same path as the X launch. E3 2016 talk about it vaguely (like this E3) E3 2017 launch it (which they will do next year).

Sony could well have gone all out to try and have a better console, just like Microsoft have stepped up their game developers. But we don't know anything and at what cost?

We don't even know PS5 will be out next year yet. Why has Sony not said so, have they got something to hide.

You can make so much speculation out of rumours and opinions it just gets silly.

Yeah but i am the joke i guess you turn on your wishful thinking machine full force.

Funny i have a link backing my argument and once again you have well your self.

#49 Posted by Fedor (5354 posts) -

They'll be pretty much the same power wise.

#50 Posted by The-A-Baum (1370 posts) -

I do have a gut feeling that the high end models from Sony and MS are going to be very close, maybe a slight edge to MS but don't think this is going to be as noticeable.

And so help me god! If i see people start arguing about shaders and resolution of reflections as your walking over a a puddle I am going Postal! Jk I am not nuts!

Next gen is killing console wars as we knew it and non console owners can all play everything no matter what consoles or device we have. Going to miss it a little.

Guess we are going to have to start talking about playing games.