Will Max payne ever be surpassed in terms of third person games?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

Hello friends,

2021 is 20th anniversary of masterpiece known as Max payne as it was released in 2001. and here we have today, too many third person games, yet no third person game today is even a shadow of Max payne 1. and the best thing about this game is even after 20 years later it still hold up unlike other third person games that doesnot age well.

From gameplay perspective which is perfect mechanically with bullet time and shooting to its dark gritty noire atmosphere to amazing soundtracks that feel depressing to one of the best story written in gaming. It was pure gold and when I see today third person action games like Uncharted/Last of us/Tomb raider/RDR2 these games offer absolutely nothing other than shiny graphics.

So my friend, is this game unsurpassable third person game that is made once in a lifetime? or it will surpassed one day? lets discuss

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

I'm 98% certain you've asked this exact same question more than once already.. hell maybe even more than that.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2251 Posts

Time to ban him?

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

If somebody makes a video calling it crap will you decide you hate Max Payne too?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ghosts4ever

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

If somebody makes a video calling it crap will you decide you hate Max Payne too?

video is for more elaboration and see how good it was. theres probably haters of my games on youtube.

the point is after 20 years a third person game not surpassed still.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

TLOU2>MaxPayne and Meta agrees.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ghosts4ever

@hardwenzen said:

Mainstream media praise movie game, nothing to see here.

beside look at metacritic score of last of us 2.

Red Donothing Redemption has 97 meta proof that how reviewers are paid.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

Max payne 3 is still one of my favourite games of all time I felt it nailed everything I wanted in a 3rd person game.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2927 Posts

@WitIsWisdom: I think he posted the exact same thread about a year ago. And no, Max Payne is not the greatest 3rd person game ever. Very far from it in fact.

AhReQueNoMori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10 AhReQueNoMori
Member since 2020 • 937 Posts

How can you have such shitty opinions? It's incredible...

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#11 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69450 Posts

@WitIsWisdom said:

I'm 98% certain you've asked this exact same question more than once already.. hell maybe even more than that.

You are 100% correct. I am not sure why he is allowed to spam the board with is brain dead threads, especially when it is the same thing over and over. I have never seen anyone this simple.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Just came here to say this "special" thread was done before by our "special" friend.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@hardwenzen said:

Mainstream media praise movie game, nothing to see here.

beside look at metacritic score of last of us 2.

Red Donothing Redemption has 97 meta proof that how reviewers are paid.

One random guy on a gaming forum praises an old game, nothing to see here.

beside look at metacritic score of the last of us 2. I did, its 93. If that's bad for you, i don't know what you're smoking.

Red Donothing Redeption has 97 meta proof that how reviewers are paid. Its a slow game, not for everyone. The world design, story, writing, characters, ai and simulation like realism is the best in the industry when it comes to open world games. If you don't like it, maybe the yearly regurgitation from Ubisoft is what you're after. AssCreed, try it, i bet you will like it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

A remarkable thread, no doubt.

Unfortunately it was already surpassed by MDK.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

It literally never will be. Max Payne transcends this shitty plane of existence, and lives in glory among the Gods!

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

Trolling and all the joking aside, it baffles me why the industry didn't go after this template than Gears. Even the 'bullet time' in other games just suck a*s. and not fluid like MP.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Vanquish already did.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Max Payne is a great game to be sure, I still have my PS2 games, but,... they were surpassed long ago. Loooonnnnggg agoooo.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

@WitIsWisdom said:

Lol, was just about to say the same thing. It almost seems verbatim.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Ghosts' problem is that he only thinks of shooters and the big budget western stuff when talking about third person games.

AhReQueNoMori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21 AhReQueNoMori
Member since 2020 • 937 Posts

@ezekiel43: He doesn't think at all apparently.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

Hello friends,

Loading Video...

2021 is 20th anniversary of masterpiece known as Max payne as it was released in 2001. and here we have today, too many third person games, yet no third person game today is even a shadow of Max payne 1. and the best thing about this game is even after 20 years later it still hold up unlike other third person games that doesnot age well.

From gameplay perspective which is perfect mechanically with bullet time and shooting to its dark gritty noire atmosphere to amazing soundtracks that feel depressing to one of the best story written in gaming. It was pure gold and when I see today third person action games like Uncharted/Last of us/Tomb raider/RDR2 these games offer absolutely nothing other than shiny graphics.

So my friend, is this game unsurpassable third person game that is made once in a lifetime? or it will surpassed one day? lets discuss

No one here is your friend, sniper4321.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

There’s a lot of third person shooters that I enjoy more then the Max Payne games. Vanquish, Resident Evil games, Gears of War games, just to name a few.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Max Payne the best third person game ever?

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@i_p_daily: And how would you know? The closest you've come to playing a 3rd person game is using the third-car camera angle in Forza 😂

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@i_p_daily: And how would you know? The closest you've come to playing a 3rd person game is using the third-car camera angle in Forza 😂

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Zelda surpassed Max Payne. The two are nothing alike, true, but both being third person is apparently the only thing that matters.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@ezekiel43:

"But my friend, it is kids game."

I like entertaining Ghosts nonsense sometimes, but damn man. We've done this same circular argument more times than I can remember lol.

By third person game, he means only third person shooters that he doesn't arbitrarily deem as movie games... unless it's Vanquish. Then he calls it a Gears ripoff. Even though playing like Gears is your punishment for sucking at that game.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By uninspiredcup

@pc_rocks said:

Trolling and all the joking aside, it baffles me why the industry didn't go after this template than Gears. Even the 'bullet time' in other games just suck a*s. and not fluid like MP.

Superhot seems like an evolution of what games like Max Payne and Fear set down. It would be great if that concept was taken more into a big sweaty 9-12 hour game.

Especially VR, it's about the closest a game gets to the feeling like being in an action movie, specially Hong Kong.

Loading Video...

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@pc_rocks said:

Cos it doesn't really work or make a whole lot of sense, unless he's a junkie comic book character, which most game characters aren't. If a room full of lunatics were shooting at you, first thing you'd do is take cover.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@locopatho said:
@pc_rocks said:

Cos it doesn't really work or make a whole lot of sense, unless he's a junkie comic book character, which most game characters aren't. If a room full of lunatics were shooting at you, first thing you'd do is take cover.

So basically the problem with developers is that they take themselves too seriously. Well, I already knew that.

Cover systems mostly are doggy poo. In any game with good mobility options, I always take cover by simply standing or crouching by a wall and swapping the camera from shoulder to shoulder. The sticky cover is completely useless in most cases and slows the game more than needed. It doesn't make it more realistic when you can already perform that action without a dedicated button or slow wall press animation.

Most third person shooters are so unexciting.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

Answering this question requires living in an alternate reality where Max Payne was ever considered the best third-person game.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

Ghost. Stop. Please.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ghosts4ever

@hardwenzen said:

Red Donothing Redeption has 97 meta proof that how reviewers are paid. Its a slow game, not for everyone. The world design, story, writing, characters, ai and simulation like realism is the best in the industry when it comes to open world games. If you don't like it, maybe the yearly regurgitation from Ubisoft is what you're after. AssCreed, try it, i bet you will like it.

corrupt mainstream media praise any popular game. they get paid.

beside the world, story, writing, characters yet gameplay is awful. even worse than AC. the combat is only 10% of game and is not fun, the mission design make it more of movie game.

It failed as video game theres why I nominate it for best movie game because its only game that done other things good apart from playing part.

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 10052 Posts

Max Payne was great...but GTAV is better

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@hardwenzen said:

It's very sad, and morally wrong Desperados III wasn't acknowledged as one of, if not thee best game of 2020.

They should be forced to share the same opinion.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@hardwenzen said:

It's very sad, and morally wrong Desperados III wasn't acknowledged as one of, if not thee best game of 2020.

They should be forced to share the same opinion.

True. even more sad Doom Eternal a real masterpiece got robbed by another movie games.

ocinom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ocinom
Member since 2008 • 1385 Posts

Stop using internet explorer. It's the year 2021 now Max Payne is long dead and obsolete

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ghosts4ever

@ocinom said:

Stop using internet explorer. It's the year 2021 now Max Payne is long dead and obsolete

Still have better gameplay than all modern Third person games combine.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Wasn't even that good

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PC_Rocks

@locopatho said:
@pc_rocks said:

Oh it doesn't make sense...how could I miss something so obvious, silly me! I mean it's definitely not realistic unlike x-ray vision, putting markers on enemies, show them on a map, wall-running, can see and shoot from the cover without leaving the cover (because TPS), highlighted climbable walls, guns with chainsaw etc etc.

Obviously, it's not because of limitations imposed by a controller and the people who plays with it.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By locopatho

@pc_rocks said:
@locopatho said:
@pc_rocks said:

Oh it doesn't make sense...how could I miss something so obvious, silly me! I mean it's definitely not realistic unlike x-ray vision, putting markers on enemies, show them on a map, wall-running, can see and shoot from the cover without leaving the cover (because TPS), highlighted climbable walls, guns with chainsaw etc etc.

Obviously, it's not because of limitations imposed by a controller and the people who plays with it.

Max Payne was on PS2 and worked perfectly, lol. Stop frothing like a lunatic.

I didn't say "realistic", I said "make sense". No (or almost no) games are realistic, but most of them make sense, for their respective universes. A dude charging head first into a hail of gunfire in slow motion... doesn't. Take cover, dumbass!

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 locopatho

@ezekiel43 said:

So basically the problem with developers is that they take themselves too seriously. Well, I already knew that.

Cover systems mostly are doggy poo. In any game with good mobility options, I always take cover by simply standing or crouching by a wall and swapping the camera from shoulder to shoulder. The sticky cover is completely useless in most cases and slows the game more than needed. It doesn't make it more realistic when you can already perform that action without a dedicated button or slow wall press animation.

It's hard, apart from silly/comic book type games, to make a game where it makes sense for the player character to dive head first into a hail of bullets. It's not about "realism", because almost no games are, but there does need to be some sort of reason, advantage or incentive for it to happen. In Max Payne, dude was a mentally ill junkie with a death wish, so it made a sick sort of sense that he literally dove head first into a wall of bullets. And added to his tragedy that despite his suicidal tactics, he couldn't die

For most third person shooters, it makes perfect sense that your character takes cover. Why wouldn't they?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@locopatho said:
@ezekiel43 said:

It's hard, apart from silly/comic book type games, to make a game where it makes sense for the player character to dive head first into a hail of bullets. It's not about "realism", because almost no games are, but there does need to be some sort of reason, advantage or incentive for it to happen. In Max Payne, dude was a mentally ill junkie with a death wish, so it made a sick sort of sense that he literally dove head first into a wall of bullets. And added to his tragedy that despite his suicidal tactics, he couldn't die

For most third person shooters, it makes perfect sense that your character takes cover. Why wouldn't they?

Most people who watch old John Woo movies don't complain about the characters leaping through the air, sliding or using two guns at once. Being so grounded has never been that important in games. They don't need any reason except fun for the characters to do that. By the way, Max Payne was never mentally ill. He was a lucid, justifiably depressed realist. The series allowed you to move almost as fast as the speed of a bullet, which became cartoonishly slow when you activated bullet time. He's not in the Matrix, so it was some cartoon logic. I ducked and rolled under bullets after they already began flying at me. But who cares?

Loading Video...

A cartoon.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Bungie's Oni surpassed Max Payne 3 and came out years earlier think about that for a second. Bungie are gaming dev gods.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 locopatho

@ezekiel43 said:

Most people

Citation needed.

@ezekiel43 said:

Being so grounded has never been that important in games. They don't need any reason except fun for the characters to do that.

Disagree. Games don't need realism, but there needs to be some sort of rules, incentive and meaning behind the events therein, otherwise it's meaningless nonsense. It's possible for the developer to create reasons for your character to do irrational things, but harder than if they just do the sane thing. In a hail of bullets, sane people take cover. If your game character doesn't, there needs to be a reason for it.

@ezekiel43 said:

By the way, Max Payne was never mentally ill. He was a lucid, justifiably depressed realist.

He was a smirking, self-narrating mass murderer who popped pills constantly, thought/realised he was in a computer game and had horrific nightmares where his dead baby screamed at him/rained blood upon him. Perhaps revise your definition of sanity ;)

@ezekiel43 said:

it was some cartoon logic.

Which is fun! But needs a reason like drugs and mental illness. Not every game story can support that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@locopatho: Drugs and mental illness don't explain moving at the speed of sound. Even in the original, you could slow down bullets to cartoonish speeds by using bullet time. The series has no justification. But it doesn't matter.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By uninspiredcup

@locopatho said:

Disagree. Games don't need realism, but there needs to be some sort of rules, incentive and meaning behind the events therein, otherwise it's meaningless nonsense. It's possible for the developer to create reasons for your character to do irrational things, but harder than if they just do the sane thing. In a hail of bullets, sane people take cover. If your game character doesn't, there needs to be a reason for it.

Na. It's emulating Hong Kong movies. Namely heroic bloodshed.

Loading Video...

Mean. That's it, pretty much. It looks cool, and it's fun mechanically.

From my experience sitting behind a wall playing wack-a-mole is almost universally shit.

Slo-mo acts as a form of cover, but it's not like, boring.

If it's tonally out of sync with what's going on, ye.

But nay.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6864 Posts

Max Payne honestly wouldn't even make the top 10 of third person games.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 PC_Rocks

@locopatho said:
@pc_rocks said:
@locopatho said:
@pc_rocks said:

Max Payne was on PS2 and worked perfectly, lol. Stop frothing like a lunatic.

I didn't say "realistic", I said "make sense". No (or almost no) games are realistic, but most of them make sense, for their respective universes. A dude charging head first into a hail of gunfire in slow motion... doesn't. Take cover, dumbass!

Was on something doesn't mean it worked perfectly or was suitable to that platform/audience. If that was the case RTS wouldn't be taken away from consoles.

Ummmm...nope. That arbitary definition of 'makes sense' and try to differentiate from 'realistic' doesn't work here. None of what I listed makes any sense whatsoever anymore than a dude charging into gun-fire. Hell, none of the games would 'make sense' wherea single protagonist murders hordes of enemies.

Try again!