Will Half Life affect sales of Cyberpunk 2077?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

User Lists: 8

#1 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15049 Posts

Right now VR is owned by not a lot of people. However, it'll be foolish to underestimate importance of Half Life and Valve. I can see Alyx breaking some sale records or sort when it's out. Half Life is coming in March, while Cyberpunk in April (provided it doesn't get delayed like The Witcher 3). According to CD Projekt they aren't worried about the said game because they think it's still going to be a game for the niche market.

In a recent earnings call, Michal Andrzej Nowakowski, Senior VP in CD Projekt Red , was asked if he is worried about Half-Life: Alyx being a highly anticipated release and pulling gamers away from Cyberpunk 2077.

He responded by saying that VR holds a very, very small part of the market. Which is probably correct, since according to Steam Hardware & Software Survey of October 2019, just over 1% of users are using a VR headset.

“VR remains an extremely nichey niche of the market, like it’s very, very small.That niche is very, very, very — and I could add a few verys here — small.” Michal Andrzej Nowakowski

He continued.

“The only reason I can think of why has Valve has decided to actually put this title in the market is because they actually have a corporation on the hardware side of the things, and I assume that they actually are planning.” Michal Andrzej Nowakowski

But then again, Cyberpunk could get decent sales from its Console ports even if PC sales underperform as Alyx is not coming to Consoles... at least yet. I for one am excited to see two big Computer Games releasing back to back. It's gonna be interesting time of the year. Share your thoughts.
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 36135 Posts

They are two very different games offering very different experiences. Only a few gamers would be conflicted into which of the two they should purchase or play first.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 11172 Posts

No. it wont.

its not traditional HL game. just some VR game which 90% of PC gamers wont even play.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 5275 Posts

No. They're different genres, a different format and don't even come out the same month. I don't know why this is thing to even be asked?

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1595 Posts

Lol just no.. you kind of answer your question in your own post... also pretty sure that anyone owning a vr device can also afford to buy two games in two months..

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 39470 Posts

@Pedro said:

They are two very different games offering very different experiences. Only a few gamers would be conflicted into which of the two they should purchase or play first.

Came here to say similar to this as well. Those two are nothing alike. One is a VR only and the other is FPS standard game. And besides, Alyx releases in March, while Cyberpunk 2077 releases in April. Far from each other taking the sales pie.

(Silly thread lol)

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 32113 Posts

Not many people have access to VR sets.

Meanwhile hundreds of millions of people have either a PC or a consolr to play Cyberpunk on.

Yeah I think Cyberpunk will be just fine ;)

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 11172 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Not many people have access to VR sets.

Meanwhile hundreds of millions of people have either a PC or a consolr to play Cyberpunk on.

Yeah I think Cyberpunk will be just fine ;)

I rather buy a console or say next gen console then even look at VR.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#9 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 5356 Posts

@Cloud_imperium:

Not in the slightest. It's not even a regular Half Life game. So it can't compete with Cyberpunk 2077.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 24830 Posts

To even be able to play it, you'll need an expensive high end PC and an expensive VR headset. It's also a new game in a series that have had a 12 year hiatus.

CP2077 is a multiplatform game with average required specs for the PC version.

Then there's the fact that the two games are very different from eachother and will likely not fight over the same consumers.

My wild guess is "no".

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 13623 Posts

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 45054 Posts

CD Projekt certainly seems on the defensive, ever since they had to let a large amount of their team go after the disappointing sales of that Witcher spinoff game. Which still blows my mind because The Witcher 3 has reached legendary status.

They've probably dumped a lot of money into Cyberpunk, in addition to their heart and soul, and don't want anything threatening their livelihood.

With that said, I don't think they need to worry about a VR title competing with them.

@djoffer said:

Lol just no.. you kind of answer your question in your own post... also pretty sure that anyone owning a vr device can also afford to buy two games in two months..

You'd think so but I spent all my money on this darn VR setup...

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sancho_Panzer  Online
Member since 2015 • 1008 Posts

No chance. The PC VR base is only so big.

That's not to say it couldn't do wonders for the VR market. In relative terms, I can't think of a more significant title.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 36527 Posts

The entire point is to push and grow the VR, it's obviously very niche'. For that to happen you need something with clout.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 25756 Posts

No. That being said, I may have to pick up a VR headset, because Half Life actually looks pretty awesome.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 4658 Posts

it's a VR game and the number of people who own VR headsets ain't that big enough to dampen Cyberpunk sales on the contrary I think it's Half-Life Alyx that will be overshadowed by Cyberpunk

watercrack445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17 watercrack445
Member since 2017 • 2116 Posts

Cyberpunk 2077 is going to surpass Half Life VR. Most people that will play Cyberpunk 2077 won't even know about Half Life.

Half Life is a gone generation ago. It would make a better senseto remaster it than make a sequel. A sequel will probably end up being crappy like how sequels of 80's movie turn out to be crappy.

shurns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By shurns
Member since 2006 • 233 Posts

Since I built my first gaming PC, I'll buy Cyberpunk, but I don't know whether it's worth even investing in a headset just to play Half Life. Even then, I don't know if my PC will be able to handle it.

I agree with the vp here.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 3567 Posts

It's not Half Life 3 so no and on top of that it's a VR game which has a niche audience including myself and I have no interest in a VR HL game. I'm done with my Oculus for now I want to see what next gen VR will be like anyways I can't wait for Cyberpunk 2077 it's a day one purchase.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 2748 Posts

no.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 29044 Posts

I doubt it.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 213

#22  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 13938 Posts

FFVII Remake, HL Alyx and Cyberpunk 2077 are all releasing around March and April. Should be a great time for the cyberpunk genre, with three high-profile cyberpunk games releasing so close together.

A bigger concern for CDPR should be FF7R competing for the same PS4 audience. But a month gap should be enough time to separate them. As for PC, HLA is a VR game, so it's not competing for the same audience as CP2077.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 3417 Posts

Coming out in two different months. No.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#24 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 36527 Posts

@watercrack445 said:

. It would make a better senseto remaster it than make a sequel. A sequel will probably end up being crappy like how sequels of 80's movie turn out to be crappy.

Technically speaking the Orange Box was a remaster, both the engine and assets where all updated to Episode 2's standard.

Beyond that, I don't much see the point when you can just play Halflife 2: Update for free or the (incredible) Mmod which improves the AI, weapon feedback and combat significantly.

Loading Video...

The logic here doesn't make much sense either, when you go from Halflife 2, to Episode 2, it is a noticeable leap in practically every regard from combat to story-telling. The only thing that held the Episodes back compared to the base game was variation due to the nature of the product.

On a related note -

'Half-Life: Alyx' Hype Ramps up as VR Headset Kits Sell out

Only one package of the Valve Index kit is left available.

Half-Life: Alyx, the sequel to 1998’s smash first person shooter hit Half-Life, was announced earlier last week and it seems the hype is ramping up, as the necessary gaming headsets are apparently selling out extremely quickly.

Half-Life: Alyx will require the use of a Virtual Reality headset such as Steam’s own Valve Index in order to play, and early-adopting fans of the yet-to-be-released title are already snatching up the bundled kits to prepare. The unit — which features a high-resolution LCD output, off-ear audio speakers, highly adjustable ergonomics and mod-ability — has been touted as one of the best offerings for VR headsets and rates high among gaming reviewers and critics. For Half-Life: Alyx, the offered bundles come in $499 USD, $749 USD, and $999 USD variations — only the $999 USD premium package remains in stock at time of writing. While the game is slated for a March 2020 release, the sold-out headset packages are now labeled as “Back in Stock Soon” with no revealed restock date mentioned.

A factor we aren't taking into account here, many people who grew up with Halflife aren't teens on a budget anymore, most are 20-30 somethings with a solid income.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 clone01  Online
Member since 2003 • 27619 Posts

nah.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 36293 Posts

This Valve VR push will die quicker than Steambox, so I don't imagine so. Hell, I can just see people eyeing the two choices, one is just $60, the other is an investment of hundreds of dollars, I can at least see people wanting to knock Cyberpunk off first before diving into Half Life.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 24734 Posts

I'm a fan of Half Life like the next guy, but I don't get the hype behind this series. Portal was actually better in my opinion. But to answer TC's question, it won't do anything to Cyberpunk's sales.