Will Graphics even be a factor next-gen?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Camer999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Camer999
Member since 2009 • 1729 Posts

I mean with 360 and PS3 the way they are even the Pc version of the same game has little differences from what I see, except framerate. Next-Gen, I don't see any problems hardware wise for consoles, if the hardware jump is as big as thing one was.

Trmpt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Trmpt
Member since 2008 • 2381 Posts

Its going to be like playing a CGI movie. For comparison, next gen consoles are going to slam EVERY PC game released thus far graphically and into about the first year of its life.

Snagal123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Snagal123
Member since 2006 • 3524 Posts

Its going to be like playing a CGI movie. For comparison, next gen consoles are going to slam EVERY PC game released thus far graphically and into about the first year of its life.

Trmpt

Unless MS and Sony pull a Wii :D

Camer999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Camer999
Member since 2009 • 1729 Posts

Trmpt

Even after that will PC users ever need to upgrade? The differences after that would not make anyone want to get a Pc (gaming) anyway the difference will be too small.

-PuLse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -PuLse
Member since 2009 • 538 Posts
Graphics will always be a factor.
Trmpt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Trmpt

[QUOTE="Trmpt"]

Camer999

Even after that will PC users ever need to upgrade? The differences after that would not make anyone want to get a Pc (gaming) anyway the difference will be too small.

The graphics are going to keep improving until they are truly photo realistic. Meaning that when you would compare a photo of real life and held it up to a screen shot of a game you would not be able to tell the difference. That is not going to happen next gen, but it is going to be darn close. So yeah PC gamers will probably have an excuse to keep upgrading their system because I think that photo realism will happen during the next gen, could be wrong though lol.

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
They'll be a factor in how the developer uses them to build atmosphere.
SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#8 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts
I wonder how horror games will be next gen. I bet eventually when graphics start to look photorealistic horror games will have to have warnings that some people may have heart attacks. :P
Next-Gen-Tec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Next-Gen-Tec
Member since 2009 • 4623 Posts

[QUOTE="Camer999"]

[QUOTE="Trmpt"]

Trmpt

The graphics are going to keep improving until they are truly photo realistic. Meaning that when you would compare a photo of real life and held it up to a screen shot of a game you would not be able to tell the difference. That is not going to happen next gen, but it is going to be darn close. So yeah PC gamers will probably have an excuse to keep upgrading their system because I think that photo realism will happen during the next gen, could be wrong though lol.

I think money will hold that back for a long time.
Dr_Snood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Dr_Snood
Member since 2008 • 2547 Posts
They will always be a factor.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#12 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
They were a factor last gen and the gen before that and all the gens before that, so I should think so.
Trmpt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Trmpt
[QUOTE="Trmpt"]

[QUOTE="Camer999"]

Next-Gen-Tec

Are you talking about the price of PC upgrades or the price of next gen consoles?
Next-Gen-Tec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Next-Gen-Tec
Member since 2009 • 4623 Posts

[QUOTE="Next-Gen-Tec"][QUOTE="Trmpt"] The graphics are going to keep improving until they are truly photo realistic. Meaning that when you would compare a photo of real life and held it up to a screen shot of a game you would not be able to tell the difference. That is not going to happen next gen, but it is going to be darn close. So yeah PC gamers will probably have an excuse to keep upgrading their system because I think that photo realism will happen during the next gen, could be wrong though lol.

Trmpt

Are you talking about the price of PC upgrades or the price of next gen consoles?

Price of developing games.

d_black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#15 d_black
Member since 2004 • 1538 Posts

Graphics will aways be a factor from an artistic point of view. Not every developer wants phot realism - I don't want to play photo-realism all of next gen.

Iamsmee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Iamsmee
Member since 2008 • 470 Posts

I think they will be less important at the beginning of the next gen, or in general considering Nintendo proved that peaking graphics isn't where the money is.

I expect maybe a slight improvement, but I really don't see a vast difference considering 360/PS3 already are in full HD (well I know PS3) and not even MOST homes have even upgraded to full HD yet.

So from a business perspective, no, graphics will be FAR from a defining aspect next generation.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
For me graphics don't even factor this gen, You have the middle ground were about 95% of games are, they all looks great, then you have a few percent that look above average and that's great too, but it never makes me want the game more. Then you have the final few percent which look below average, but as long as the game is great it's not too bad. I mean look at Halo 3, there's no denying that the graphics aren't what they should've been, but it still got all that praise, and I've just finished playing prototype, that was a hell of a lot of fun even though it was pretty bad looking.
BoloTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BoloTheGreat
Member since 2008 • 3483 Posts
They will, it's eneivtable
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10576 Posts

For me graphics don't even factor this gen, You have the middle ground were about 95% of games are, they all looks great, then you have a few percent that look above average and that's great too, but it never makes me want the game more. Then you have the final few percent which look below average, but as long as the game is great it's not too bad. I mean look at Halo 3, there's no denying that the graphics aren't what they should've been, but it still got all that praise, and I've just finished playing prototype, that was a hell of a lot of fun even though it was pretty bad looking.bobbetybob

this is true, graphics are becoming less and less of a factor for me in pc gaming. just about everything looks fantastic maxed out - mass effect, fallout 3, bioshock, assassins creed, gta iv, cod 4, cod waw, dead space. the differences are so trivial that its really just a matter of personal preference as to which is best.

occasionally you'll get a game like prototype that is noticably inferior to the rest when maxed but who cares because the game is great fun.

as long as the pursuit of photo realistic graphics doesnt come at the expense of innovation (and the high production costs reduces the number of releases) then ill be happy