Will FPS ever look like this again ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

N-K0d3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 N-K0d3R
Member since 2004 • 500 Posts

http://www.own3d.tv/video/216159/UGC_Fraghighlights_2011_720p_han-sai.production (sorry, can't link for some glitchy reason)

...with all the focus towards a more casual-oriented,console-friendly experience ?

Will we ever have something that requires this speed, this accuracy and somewhat creative thinking on the PC ever again ? (Useless to ask about consoles as they never had it in the first place).

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

That looks terrible :P. guess im not used to such games but yea hopefully PC gamers get such games, for me Call of Duty is more than enough

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Am I the only one who really doesn't care about this? FPS shouldn't just be based around twitch movement, but strategy, tactics, planning etc etc..
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

If it were to go bacvk to that it would probably be an indie dev to do it

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#5 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

That looks terrible :P. guess im not used to such games but yea hopefully PC gamers get such games, for me Call of Duty is more than enough

finalstar2007
I thought console gamers don't care about graphics, and only gameplay matters? :P
Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts
probably not....tho there are rumors of a quake 5 which I would definitely check out. There's also tribes: ascend...so who knows.. I stick to quake live and TFC pickups. I just wish there were still active TFC leagues, because I'd probably still be playing competitively.
Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#7 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts
I wish!!! Ahhh Quake 3 and UT99-04' How I miss you so!!! This was real skill based multiplayer...none of the killstreak load out crap from today. Pure skill! Countless hours playing this. Hell I had a freind who 2 rooms of his apartment into a quake 3 server center back in 2001... 25 pcs and a master server. His wife always complained about it... he wasn't married long after that..lol. RIP - Lan Parties. Even blizzard, ID, and Epic have abandoned you. Oh and we would be having UT2012 if Epic didn't consolized--Gears of war-ify UT3... They put bulky gears models -retuxtured for the Characters in ut3, had no graphic options and no mouse on the menu... It was a console port to the pc for a top line pc franchise. They ruined their own game... shame..as they just announced they are not making a new one because of sales of last one. Well epic you realize you brought it on yourself. Don't mess with pc communicties games devs and you will survive!
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Because Quake would work on a controller...

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

Am I the only one who really doesn't care about this? FPS shouldn't just be based around twitch movement, but strategy, tactics, planning etc etc.. sSubZerOo

Then you will like what Blackfoot Studios is working on.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

It seems like most FPS fans long for games like Quake and Unreal, but I personally long for the return of games like Perfect Dark 64, Goldeneye 64, and Timesplitters 2.

arbitor365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 arbitor365
Member since 2009 • 2726 Posts

"unreal tournament 3" captured that old-school feel

ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ActionRemix
Member since 2011 • 5640 Posts
You might like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtJKrIngTIs
Plamino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Plamino
Member since 2011 • 219 Posts
I'm sorry developers don't want to capture a small demographic of whiny elitists. It might get better if you complain some more, though.
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11821 Posts

Maybe :) Tribes Ascend is coming 8) Hopefully Hard Reset will have multiplayer added in or in a newer sequel/title FWH plans to make. Tribes was ahead of it's time no shooter has still matched it.

Anyone who wants old school multiplayer shooter should keep an eye out for this.

xYamatox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 xYamatox
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

Am I the only one who really doesn't care about this? FPS shouldn't just be based around twitch movement, but strategy, tactics, planning etc etc.. sSubZerOo

^^ This. What we just saw was Call of Duty with more jumping and less Aim Assist.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NoodleFighter

I'm sorry developers don't want to capture a small demographic of whiny elitists. It might get better if you complain some more, though.Plamino

Its not our fault we don't eat trash like CoD and cod clone #568 like you console users do :) We aren't gonna bend over and let companies have their way that easily. They are suppose to be catering to us not finding ways to make a quick buck.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NoodleFighter

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]Am I the only one who really doesn't care about this? FPS shouldn't just be based around twitch movement, but strategy, tactics, planning etc etc.. xYamatox

^^ This. What we just saw was Call of Duty with more jumping and less Aim Assist.

No just no. You've clearly never played a Quake game then not to mention Quake was out before CoD

Plamino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Plamino
Its not our fault we don't eat trash like CoD and cod clone #568 like you console users do :) We aren't gonna bend over and let companies have their way that easily. They are suppose to be catering to us not finding ways to make a quick buck.NoodleFighter
They obviously are catering to the majority of people if they keep buying it. Why would they cater to a small minority instead? By catering to a majority, they make more money and make people happy. And I don't own a single Call of Duty game, thank you very much. I personally do not like the series, but I do not go about flaunting my supremacy because I play games with actual substance. If people enjoy it, what's the problem?
xYamatox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 xYamatox

[QUOTE="xYamatox"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]Am I the only one who really doesn't care about this? FPS shouldn't just be based around twitch movement, but strategy, tactics, planning etc etc.. NoodleFighter

No just no. You've clearly never played a Quake game then not to mention Quake was out before CoD

Played Quake at school with a bunch of friends who played it for years. It's a twitch fest. Once you get used to the speed of movement, it requires the same skill set you would need to be good at a CoD game, just with weapon/health pickups, and more jumping.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#21 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
There's room for both.
cavaleiro23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 cavaleiro23
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I bought UT99 on Steam some days ago. The game is still fun and I met a lot of players online. But most of them only play Deathmatch or CTF, ignoring the other game types.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

[QUOTE="Plamino"]I'm sorry developers don't want to capture a small demographic of whiny elitists. It might get better if you complain some more, though.NoodleFighter

Its not our fault we don't eat trash like CoD and cod clone #568 like you console users do :) We aren't gonna bend over and let companies have their way that easily. They are suppose to be catering to us not finding ways to make a quick buck.

They are exactly supposed to be "finding ways to make a quick buck"...they are companies. They don't care about your feelings, they care about money (however they get it). And they are "catering to us"...they are catering to the largest demographic which is a basic business principle. Market analysts have determined that the market share of people that actually want games like old-school Quake is a minority and not worth appealing to. If this changes, so will the games being made, not before.
pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Lol CS:GO is going to be so much fun.

Plamino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Plamino
They are exactly supposed to be "finding ways to make a quick buck"...they are companies. They don't care about your feelings, they care about money (however they get it). And they are "catering to us"...they are catering to the largest demographic which is a basic business principle. Market analysts have determined that the market share of people that actually want games like old-school Quake is a minority and not worth appealing to. If this changes, so will the games being made, not before.Bruin1986
Exactly. One's taste isn't more valued just because he or she thinks he or she is better than everyone else.
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NoodleFighter

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

[QUOTE="Plamino"]I'm sorry developers don't want to capture a small demographic of whiny elitists. It might get better if you complain some more, though.Bruin1986

They are exactly supposed to be "finding ways to make a quick buck"...they are companies. They don't care about your feelings, they care about money (however they get it). And they are "catering to us"...they are catering to the largest demographic which is a basic business principle. Market analysts have determined that the market share of people that actually want games like old-school Quake is a minority and not worth appealing to. If this changes, so will the games being made, not before.

Strange how are we suppose to determine the market for Old school multiplayers if no one but epic has bothered making one this gen and UT3 didn't please PC gamers much compared to the other UTs and other circumstances, also didn't they sell like 1 million each on all platforms. I didn't even know Warsaw and some others existed :? If they're still people thriving on these ancient games then what does that tell you? Tribes Ascend is getting quite some recognition and F2P will easily help have a large and thriving community.

Plamino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Plamino
Strange how are we suppose to determine the market for Old school multiplayers if no one but epic has bothered making one this gen and UT3 didn't please PC gamers much compared to the other UTs and other circumstances, also didn't they sell like 1 million each on all platforms. I didn't even know Warsaw and some others existed :? If they're still people thriving on these ancient games then what does that tell you? Tribes Ascend is getting quite some recognition and F2P will easily help have a large and thriving community.NoodleFighter
Please define "old school multiplayers." What exactly are you looking for?
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NoodleFighter

[QUOTE="Bruin1986"]They are exactly supposed to be "finding ways to make a quick buck"...they are companies. They don't care about your feelings, they care about money (however they get it). And they are "catering to us"...they are catering to the largest demographic which is a basic business principle. Market analysts have determined that the market share of people that actually want games like old-school Quake is a minority and not worth appealing to. If this changes, so will the games being made, not before.Plamino
Exactly. One's taste isn't more valued just because he or she thinks he or she is better than everyone else.

They obviously are catering to the majority of people if they keep buying it. Why would they cater to a small minority instead? By catering to a majority, they make more money and make people happy.

And I don't own a single Call of Duty game, thank you very much. I personally do not like the series, but I do not go about flaunting my supremacy because I play games with actual substance. If people enjoy it, what's the problem?Plamino

I do not think I have supremacy just because I do not like CoD but the FPS genre is lacking diversity. Do you want to live in the world where multiplayer for FPS is just Battlefield/MOH, Halo, CoD, and CoD clone cash in attempt failure #4567.

How can Market anaylsis say that people who demand a old school shooter aren't worth appealing to?

Most of these CoD clones are failures so what are they going to loose. TF2 shares quite a lot in common with Old school shooters and is a success.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NoodleFighter

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]Strange how are we suppose to determine the market for Old school multiplayers if no one but epic has bothered making one this gen and UT3 didn't please PC gamers much compared to the other UTs and other circumstances, also didn't they sell like 1 million each on all platforms. I didn't even know Warsaw and some others existed :? If they're still people thriving on these ancient games then what does that tell you? Tribes Ascend is getting quite some recognition and F2P will easily help have a large and thriving community.Plamino
Please define "old school multiplayers." What exactly are you looking for?

By old school shooters I'm refering to Arena Shooters like Quake, Unreal Tournament, and Tribes.

games5522

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 games5522
Member since 2005 • 2909 Posts

What quake/older arena shooter montages fail to show is the deeper thinking behind matches, like memorising how long it takes for certain weapons and powerups take to respawn, keeping your foes from accessing said powerups, area denial and such. They do however show the many advanced movement techniques that are simply not possible in most modern shooters these days.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]Am I the only one who really doesn't care about this? FPS shouldn't just be based around twitch movement, but strategy, tactics, planning etc etc.. Cherokee_Jack
There's room for both.

agree not everyone wants a tactical shooter like swat 4 or rainbow six raven shield

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Will we ever have something that requires this speed, this accuracy and somewhat creative thinking on the PC ever again ?

N-K0d3R

Sure, Red Orchestra 2 was just released and FireFall, PlanetSide 2, Natural Selection 2, Tribes: Ascend and ARMA III are incoming

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AdrianWerner

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]Am I the only one who really doesn't care about this? FPS shouldn't just be based around twitch movement, but strategy, tactics, planning etc etc.. WhiteKnight77

Which is nothing? They've been reducted to skeleton staff. I doubt Ground Branch will ever be released :(

bri360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bri360
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts

Counterstrike 2 says hi

/thread

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

[QUOTE="N-K0d3R"]

Will we ever have something that requires this speed, this accuracy and somewhat creative thinking on the PC ever again ?

AdrianWerner

Sure, Red Orchestra 2 was just released and FireFall, PlanetSide 2, Natural Selection 2, Tribes: Ascend and ARMA III are incoming

im wondering arma 3 will run better 2 havent played but I heard it has quiet a few problems with it

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AdrianWerner

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="N-K0d3R"]

TheShadowLord07

im wondering arma 3 will run better 2 havent played but I heard it has quiet a few problems with it

At launch Arma2 was a resource hog, but it got better latter on. The engine in Operation Arrowhead add-on was quite well optimized.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]Am I the only one who really doesn't care about this? FPS shouldn't just be based around twitch movement, but strategy, tactics, planning etc etc.. AdrianWerner

Which is nothing? They've been reducted to skeleton staff. I doubt Ground Branch will ever be released :(

Actually, it is being worked on and John just asked members how they wanted an animation feature implemented. He wanted to know if in an engaged posture with a rifle and you switch to the pistol if the weapon should be at low ready or should it come back to engaged. The consensus was back to the engaged posture and is what will be implemented. There is more, but I can't talk about it.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#38 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

but I personally long for the return of games like Perfect Dark 64, Goldeneye 64, and Timesplitters 2.

NaveedLife

This times a million, love those games.

juno84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 juno84
Member since 2004 • 1019 Posts
Kind of downplaying map control, don't you think?
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#40 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

What? Quake is all about map control. You can be facing someone who is better than you in accuracy and win because you control the map easily.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts
"Twitch" FPS doesnt mean there are no strategy/tactics, planning etc involved. Quake series are some of the most twitchiest FPS that exist but require alot of strat/tac, planning, anticipation, teamwork and particularly reading and figuring out your opponent movements and strategy etc in order to be successful competitively. Twitch and "strategy" are not actually not mutually exclusive from one another. I wonder why people think that? Is it because they couldn't compete in such games and thus disregard them as brainless twitch fest?
Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#42 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

I think they will bring that back more when people get really fed up with the current style of fps

xYamatox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 xYamatox

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]Am I the only one who really doesn't care about this? FPS shouldn't just be based around twitch movement, but strategy, tactics, planning etc etc.. cain006

What? Quake is all about map control. You can be facing someone who is better than you in accuracy and win because you control the map easily.

Implying this isn't the case for any FPS game, ever made. Even CoD has strong elements of map control to gain an advantage, so I don't see your point.

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

Well, Counter Strike has every thing you mentioned.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts

[QUOTE="cain006"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]Am I the only one who really doesn't care about this? FPS shouldn't just be based around twitch movement, but strategy, tactics, planning etc etc.. xYamatox

Implying this isn't the case for any FPS game, ever made. Even CoD has strong elements of map control to gain an advantage, so I don't see your point.

1vs1 map control in COD doesn't really matter because you spawn with all your guns, there's no health or armour pick ups. It's also far slower than quake, especially when it's a small game because you pretty much have to crouch everywhere unless you want everyone to know exactly where you are.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#46 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

[QUOTE="cain006"]

Watch this and tell me Quake doesn't take any strategy. You have to time armor and mega, listen closely, control the weapons, and read your opponent to do well. You're making it sound much simpler than it is.