Wii-U won't fail longterm for one very simple reason.

• 105 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts
didn't help the GameCube or N64 much, and they had better games out the door than the Wii U has now, don't let the fluke of the Wii's success get to you but at least the GameCube and N64 had games I loved, the Wii U right now doesn't have anything I want, sure they may get some later but right now they're really slow at coming around, and even if they come out with some decent games that Nintendo fans will love it won't guarantee a commercial success
vanadiel242424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 vanadiel242424
Member since 2004 • 1795 Posts

They have the best exclusives period, 1st party > 3rd party.

Zelda

mario

ssb

kirby

metrod

yoshi

pokemon

donkey kong

starfox

How can you honestly compete with that? sorry but nintendo has been around for decades BECAUSE of the 1st party, they don't need 3rd party games.

Everybody I know, including myself bought the wii-U for one reason, and one reason only. 1st party games.

give me zelda mario and SSB, and that's all I need forever.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
star fox? LMAO... and pokemon for wii u? lol sure.. i mean..we all want it..but its nintendo..all you are going to get is some sh!tty spin off
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

89cf8bc71014f0ed285d30c2b9e7925b.jpg.

simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts

Gamecube was considered a failure by many- I wouldn't exactly call it a success, myself. Apparently 1st party didn't save it :o

I've noticed that aside from the Wii's early fad, Nintendo seems to do poorly in consoles but really well in handheld. 

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Too many gamers who know nothing about the pre-Xbox or pre-Playstation era commenting in this thread.

Nintendo first party "core" titles are always quality, and the some of the highest (if not highest) -game of the year - titles.  Seems people forget that.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

didn't stop the n64 and gamecube from flopping

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6609 Posts

Gamecube was considered a failure by many- I wouldn't exactly call it a success, myself. Apparently 1st party didn't save it :o

I've noticed that aside from the Wii's early fad, Nintendo seems to do poorly in consoles but really well in handheld. 

simomate

It actually did, Nintendo's game division made more money than Sony and MS.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

jhcho2

"Flop" is in the eyes of the beholder.

While I would agree that the above mentioned systems missed on quite some relevant 3rd party games of their respective eras, they still provided a strong 1st party and exclusive 3rd party line-up, impressive visuals for the time and control innovations.

So appart from their decent-to-mediocre sales performance and decent-to-mediocre 3rd party support, they were not "flops".

"Flop" is not in the eyes of the beholder. Flop implies commercial failure. So it's not something that boils down to individual perception. Commercial success and failure can be quantified and measured.

Well, from that perspective, the true flop was the first Xbox because it wasn't a profittable system for MS.

GC was still profittable, despite it's relatively low sales.

N64 was also nowhere near the Sega Saturn, which really did turn just a miserable 2 million units in the US market in it's whole existence. (ironically Sega still supported it for four years while dropping the much better selling Dreamcast after less than two years)

Also, keep in mind that the sales of the PS1 and PS2 were extraordinary at the time so naturally everything else seemed like a "flop" compared to their sales and support.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nameless12345

Sweenix

While I would agree that the above mentioned systems missed on quite some relevant 3rd party games of their respective eras, they still provided a strong 1st party and exclusive 3rd party line-up, impressive visuals for the time and control innovations.

So appart from their decent-to-mediocre sales performance and decent-to-mediocre 3rd party support, they were not "flops".

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts
Nintendo...*yawn*. At least their console, unless they knock it out of the park at E3 without announcing 1,000 new Mario themed titles.
wazzap76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 wazzap76
Member since 2012 • 293 Posts

I know people like those series but I've moved on and so have a lot of other people. I only ever buy one console per generation and I'm going to go with a console that is a little more mature in the software department. I feel a lot of people are thinking the same.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Wii U will be fortunate to reach Gamecube sales...

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#14 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

Zelda

mario

ssb

kirby

metrod

yoshi

pokemon

donkey kong

starfox

How can you honestly compete with that? sorry but nintendo has been around for decades BECAUSE of the 1st party, they don't need 3rd party games.

Everybody I know, including myself bought the wii-U for one reason, and one reason only. 1st party games.

vanadiel242424
I'd rather play: Tomb Raider Bioshock GTA Watch Dogs Battlefield 4 The Last of Us and many other amazing games coming out this year that aren't on the Wii U.
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 StrongBlackVine

[QUOTE="vanadiel242424"]

Zelda

mario

ssb

kirby

metrod

yoshi

pokemon

donkey kong

starfox

Rattlesnake_8

I'd rather play: Tomb Raider Bioshock GTA Watch Dogs Battlefield 4 The Last of Us and many other amazing games coming out this year that aren't on the Wii U.

That is why the Wii U will be a flop...non-gamers won't be sucked in this time.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

So thats why every console war EVER in the history of console wars has been won due to superior THIRD party support, and not FIRST party.  :roll:

First party has NEVER won a console war.  EVER.  And it never will.  

/thread.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

nameless12345

"Flop" is not in the eyes of the beholder. Flop implies commercial failure. So it's not something that boils down to individual perception. Commercial success and failure can be quantified and measured.

BigBoss255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BigBoss255
Member since 2010 • 3539 Posts
Gamecube /Thread
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

And yet N64, Gamecube, Wii all failed long term and became barren wastelands for GAMES

Thank you for destroying your own point.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nameless12345

And yet N64, Gamecube, Wii all failed long term and became barren wastelands for GAMES

Thank you for destroying your own point.

Blackbond

A wasteland for those unwilling to dig for hidden gems, sure.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#21 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
third party will flock back soon has they see enough consoles sold and nintendo is driving the wii u marketing
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Gamecube had all those franchises, AND was actually a really great piece of hardware, yet it still was pretty much a failure (I love my Gamecube, but it was last place system that was clearly a failure).

Unlike the Gamecube the Wii-U is a gimmicky joke system that DOESN"T have great hardware. Wii-U will be lucky to even reach Gamecube levels of failure.

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

Zelda- no

mario- Tired of it.

ssb- It is OK

kirby- Hell no.

metrod- It is OK

yoshi- No

pokemon- The console games have all been shit

donkey kong- OK

starfox- OK

None of these games are enough to get the Wii U off the shelf. With new systems coming, the Wii U is already one foot in the grave.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts
It still has a chance of being a great console to own. I think Nintendo will drop some bombs at E3 for it.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
Nintendo's first party games suck. Unless you are new to gaming, I don't see how you couldn't be way beyond tired and bored with Nintendo first party games unless you just have very low standards. To each their own I guess.
loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

I only care for Zelda and i did not like TP or SS much, so they have pretty much nothing left for me

Right now 150$ is the absolute maximum i would pay for a WiiU and that ONLY if it gets a good Zelda

ImJESUS-PROam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ImJESUS-PROam
Member since 2013 • 360 Posts

Zelda

mario

ssb

kirby

metrod

yoshi

pokemon

donkey kong

starfox

vanadiel242424
Actually the NES and SNES where mostly knwon for third-party. not first outside of the occasional mario and other games that were uh, BUNDLED. Also the Gamecube clearly shows that their FP is not invincible, in fact, the N64 shown that. They never had the best first-party, the only console maker that I can recall that had FP pretty much sell most the systems is Sega, which 70% of the games released for it where made by Sega or a Sega related/owned party. And those Ips where not even established at that time, they were new.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

So thats why every console war EVER in the history of console wars has been won due to superior THIRD party support, and not FIRST party.  :roll:

First party has NEVER won a console war.  EVER.  And it never will.  

/thread.

StrongDeadlift
How do you win exactly?
ItsEvolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ItsEvolution
Member since 2008 • 2593 Posts
But...but...all the new Nintendo commercials tell me that kids and families LOVE the Wii U, and are rushing out to buy it! Right? Seriously, though...I don't know how anyone can look at the Wii U sales figures and have anything positive to say about it. You can't launch a system, then go a half year with only one major release beyond the launch lineup (Lego), and expect anyone to care.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

NO!

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
So, it's going to pull a N64 and GCN? A dozen or so good games over the course of 6 years. Unfortunately, the other platforms will probably provide a dozen or so good games every year through out the entire generation. That's fail in my eyes, but then again, I stopped believing Nintendo makes the best games in the industry last generation.
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
Yeah, they have a large number of franchises, but they need to start doing different things with them. They did take Donkey Kong in a few different directions, but everything else has been more of the same. I'd love a new StarFox game with a decent story and various game play.
judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

[QUOTE="simomate"]

p3anut

Microsoft was loosing money off their games divition until a couple years ago. Now they just barely break even. Sony is in the same boat too. Despite being considered last place, Nintendo is the only one in the hardware business that makes a profit. Between that and all the studio closures, I am really worried this whole industry is headed for a big collapse. Then Apple will jump in with some i-gamedevice and we will all be playing touch screen games on a home console, the irony of which will fly strait over eveyone's head.
Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

People seem to forget that while the Wii was a market sucess it was a huge dissapointment to most consumers. So respecfully it was a huge failure because people like myself that had hope on the nintendo home console have now lost it completelly. The gamecube was awesome! this..... this thing.. isn't.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#35 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

Too many gamers who know nothing about the pre-Xbox or pre-Playstation era commenting in this thread.

Nintendo first party "core" titles are always quality, and the some of the highest (if not highest) -game of the year - titles.  Seems people forget that.

sonic_spark

Speaking as someone who has been gaming since the SNES Gen; Gamecube sold for crap and had all those titles on it. Not that I think the Wii-U will sell as low, but you're kidding yourself if you think Nintendo only needs their first party to sell well.

Casualsinvaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Casualsinvaded
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="campzor"]star fox? LMAO... and pokemon for wii u? lol sure.. i mean..we all want it..but its nintendo..all you are going to get is some sh!tty spin off

Star fox could be cool but it hasnt been cool since the original on snes.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MonsieurX
[QUOTE="Casualsinvaded"][QUOTE="campzor"]star fox? LMAO... and pokemon for wii u? lol sure.. i mean..we all want it..but its nintendo..all you are going to get is some sh!tty spin off

Star fox could be cool but it hasnt been cool since the original on snes.

You're not cool dude
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 StrongBlackVine

third party will flock back soon has they see enough consoles sold and nintendo is driving the wii u marketingk2theswiss

Won't happen. Only fools expect Wii U to be relevant.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 StrongBlackVine

Nintendo's first party games suck. Unless you are new to gaming, I don't see how you couldn't be way beyond tired and bored with Nintendo first party games unless you just have very low standards. To each their own I guess.AmazonTreeBoa

You are a smart guy.

Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Drasonak
Member since 2012 • 1515 Posts

simomate
It was just the Nintendo 64 and GameCube that didn't too well. The Nintendo Entertainment System (NES), the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES), and the Wii (Wii) dominated the hell out of the competition. Also, the GameCube was head and head with the XBox for awhile. The latter only sold slightly more. And it still beat the DreamCast. It was just the PlayStation 2 that did remarkably well.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MonsieurX

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]third party will flock back soon has they see enough consoles sold and nintendo is driving the wii u marketingStrongBlackVine

Only fanboys expect the Wii U to not be relevant
SuddenlySudden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 SuddenlySudden
Member since 2013 • 618 Posts

Zelda

mario

ssb

kirby

metrod

yoshi

pokemon

donkey kong

starfox

vanadiel242424

lol it's funny before I clicked the thread I already knew what reasons you'd list and for that alone the WIIU already failed. The WiiU is already a failure and will continue to be a failure because we now KNOW for a fact that the only thing that drives nintendo is nostalgia and milked titles, because without these titles their fans don't want to look at them.Nintendo can make ten mario games for the wii U that scrore perfect 10/10 and it wouldn't make any difference anymore. Anything they do at this point is going to go back to the stupid argument of nintendo being only for kids or for Mario lovers and for nostalgia and milked titles. Ezverything nintendo can do to save the Wii is only going to prove that point

SHEEP+NINTENDO=OWNED

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 StrongBlackVine

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]third party will flock back soon has they see enough consoles sold and nintendo is driving the wii u marketingMonsieurX

Only fanboys expect the Wii U to not be relevant

I don't like Xbox, but I expect it to compete hard with PS4. Wii U is just not on the same level.

HaRmLeSS_RaGe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 HaRmLeSS_RaGe
Member since 2012 • 1330 Posts

When Ninty show Mario 64 2 at E3 everyone's body will be ready to board the Wii U hype train.

Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Kaszilla
Member since 2011 • 1841 Posts
1st party will give the wii u gamecube sales at the most.
CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 CWEBB04z
Member since 2006 • 4879 Posts
[QUOTE="simomate"]

Drasonak
It was just the Nintendo 64 and GameCube that didn't too well. The Nintendo Entertainment System (NES), the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES), and the Wii (Wii) dominated the hell out of the competition. Also, the GameCube was head and head with the XBox for awhile. The latter only sold slightly more. And it still beat the DreamCast. It was just the PlayStation 2 that did remarkably well.

Nintendo dominated until Sony came along. and LOL at the Wii. My gf has a Wii for one game, some Zumba game...
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

third party will flock back soon has they see enough consoles sold and nintendo is driving the wii u marketingk2theswiss

The problem with this theory is development time. A game can take anywhere from 12 to 36+ months to make.  So a developer would already have to have plans, and started putting the wheels in motion in to bring a Wii-U game out in 2014 or 2015. It seems 3rd party are already running for the exits, rather than making that committment to the Wii-U. If somewhere in the next 6-12 months the Wii-U fortunes change on the hardware sales front, then there would STILL be a long delay before any tangible results (games) came out - and even then, 3rd parties would likely be hesitant to "flock back" given how poorly 3rd party games have sold on Nintendo platforms for 3 straight gens now. 

Can it get some quick and dirty ports? Probably. But nobody cares about getting a few half-baked ports that only come out months after the original releases. 

SuperNecro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SuperNecro
Member since 2005 • 1423 Posts
In my opinion, you only listed 2-3 good franchises: Pokemon, SSB, and maybe Mario. Everything else is meh or downright boring.
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
[QUOTE="p3anut"]

[QUOTE="simomate"]

judaspete

Microsoft was loosing money off their games divition until a couple years ago. Now they just barely break even. Sony is in the same boat too. Despite being considered last place, Nintendo is the only one in the hardware business that makes a profit. Between that and all the studio closures, I am really worried this whole industry is headed for a big collapse. Then Apple will jump in with some i-gamedevice and we will all be playing touch screen games on a home console, the irony of which will fly strait over eveyone's head.

Microsoft has been making a profit off their hardware for like 3 years now. They are making money of their software as well, unless you have a link to prove otherwise. They haven't been making as much as last year, that's true, but they haven't been in the red for awhile now. I think they have one bad quarter where they had some small loses, but that was awhile back. Sony had been losing money up until last year where they finally shows some kind of profit. Part of it was due to selling 2 of their HQ buildings in NY and Tokyo. Plus they sold a ton of stocks as well. I don't see console gaming going anywhere anytime soon. i don't think the big name developers can survive without console gaming. If they just made Pc game they wouldn't make enough of a profit to stay in business long. The developers would have to disband and go back to making Indie games again. No more Big Budget blockbuster games.