WiiU, Vita, 3DS have no future according to EA!!!

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

According to Peter Moore from EA.

ARTICLE.

We were supportive of both of those platforms. But then you’ve got finite resources and you’ve got teams that say, ‘We really think that two or three years from now, these are the platforms that people are going to be consuming games on.’ And you look at the quality of what you can do on phones and tablets… Sometimes strategy is not about what you do but what you don’t do, and you have to make some hard calls when you’ve got only so many people. To my point, we’ve got to be planning for FY 17 and 18. Do you think the Vita and 3DS are going to be around in some shape or fashion by then on a scale level?

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/07/ea-on-the-future/

Your thoughts people.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#2 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Well they have no interest in those platforms. That was very obvious from the get go.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dobzilian

@LegatoSkyheart: surprising how many reasons "excuses" you can come up without saying "We just dont want or need to support these platform's and never intended too".

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#4 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Well, at this point, I'm hardly seeing a reason to support EA. As much as Wii U and Vita need support, the less platforms with EA support, the better.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

I say its EA shooting in its own foot again.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#6 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I didn't see where he said the Wii U has no future.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Honestly, I really dislike EA's lack of support for struggling platforms. They go on about supporting the industry and crap like "Console wars is good for the industry". Well supporting platforms that struggle in some aspects is a big help. Their withdrawal as the second largest third party publisher is a big hit to the platforms, which in turn makes their struggle even worse.

I feel the bigger companies need to take it on the chin for the early years of struggling platforms to give them the support to grow. EA pulled out far too early.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

I wondered why there was no FIFA 15 announced for Vita

Now I know

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Honestly, who cares what EA says?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nintendoboy16

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

I think it's obvious they think that considering that isn't getting any support from them right now.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nintendoboy16

@MirkoS77 said:

Those that are trying to claim ownage on another faction? I remember Cows and Lems laughing at sheep and the Wii U for missing their support.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

EA games are crap

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#15 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

Did EA just call the 3DS a failure? lulz

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Go figure, they'd rather spend development dollars on mobile games than actual core games. These megapublishers aren't seeing the forest for the trees and abandoning the market that built them. Stereotypical bean-counter corporate expansionism thinking that leads to market crashes. They don't want to help the ecosystem of gaming, only strip mine it and then unplug when things go bad.

This thread is the biggest reason why "indy" shouldn't be a bad word.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#17  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

I think it's obvious they think that considering that isn't getting any support from them right now.

That's irrelevant. The thread title is misleading. The only place Moore mentions Wii U is:

"Consumers love it as well, and it's good for the industry," he said. "You need powerful companies like Sony and Microsoft to be battling out with each other because it drives investment in their platforms. It drives competition. You want to see Nintendo come back with the Wii U. All in all, it becomes healthy for gamers, for the environment. When you have a runaway winner, that actually has a reverse effect."

Nowhere does he discuss that there is no future for Wii U in this interview, at least from what I've read. I'd love for someone to point out where, though.

I don't disagree about EA's lack of support for the platform. It's obvious that they have very little interest in it - even right from the get go.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Out of the three the 3DS has the brighter future. Wii-U isn't a system I'll buy due to Nintendo's moronic ideals for controllers. PSV is dead after October as the entire AAA industry (Sony included) has given up on the damn thing.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

How did EA go from a bit of a darling releasing so many new IPs last gen to becoming complete and utter loons again?

Dead space, bad company, mirrors edge, bulletstorm, burnout paradise, Dragon Age, Kingdoms of amalur,

I mean they helped give breath and life to all these new IPs and great sequels and they just royally screwed it up

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Fiscal year 17/18? Yeah, the 3DS successor is likely to be coming out. Sometimes I wonder how much sense these people have.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

They said the same thing about the NES back in the day.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

@foxhound_fox: I guess by then they'll have to prepare a reason why they aren't supporting nintendo's next handheld

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#23  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Guess EA only does AAA games. That was the catch about handhelds, developments costs are lowered, and graphics aren't as important. They should pull a Ubisoft and make a small budget game like Ubi did with Child of Light. Find what inspires their team and divulge away from the same AAA shooter and sports game. But, nope, EA just being the leech of the industry like normal.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#24 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

He never said anything about Wii U? In fact the only thing he said about Wii U was 'we want Nintendo to come back stronger with the Wii U,' so I don't know why you decided to club it in with the handhelds there.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Can't really blame EA for not wanting to support the Vita when Sony themselves seem to stopped caring for it a while ago.

As for the Wii U, I can't say I would exactly blame them for not wanting to support the Wii U, since I would imagine their titles would be significantly less successful on it than Sony's or Microsoft's consoles, atleast when talking to Stuff like Madden and Call of Duty.

Bringing up the 3DS was kind of silly though. Yes, the system doesn't really have much of a future, though that's because the system has already been out for quite a while. I'm guessing we aren't THAT far away from Nintendo unveiling whatever their next handheld will be.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

I see them giving up on the Vita. Hell, Sony themselves are even doing that. The 3DS has 45 million units sold...Yeah, that useless thing has no future lol

When it comes down it it though...Does anyone actually want EA around anyway? They make shit.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dobzilian

@charizard1605: Add more Fuel to the fire and he doesnt need to mention the WiiU as even EA are more supportive of the Wii than the WiiU. If I remember correcty isnt there a FIFA 15 being released on the Wii and no WiiU.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

Those that are trying to claim ownage on another faction? I remember Cows and Lems laughing at sheep and the Wii U for missing their support.

Do you care what those factions think? If you do, you shouldn't. They're insignificant cockroaches.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

I remember when EA actually was a good company. They were known as Electronic Arts then.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

have no future for EA games i think is more accurate. battlefield, crysis, mass effect, dragon age....these games dont have an audience on handhelds and also dont have an audience on the wiiu.

i cant think of a single game EA make where i would think "man i have to play the wiiu or vita version". their tablet/mobile phone business is nothing short of an absolute disgrace. game design by accountants. to see those games on any platform would just drag it down (seriosuly MS, sony and ninty should flat out ban such practices on their platforms. dont ban F2p....ban blatant taking the whizz).

they dont make 3ds games (i dont see it listed on their webiste at all) so you cant have a future on a platform if you dont actually release anything for that platform.

did they take a punt at madden on the wiiu? surely the wiius gamepad (and vita/PS4) would make arranging plays all the better? did they bother and, if they did, did they somehow nerf the game?

but anyway they are right. those platforms dont have a future for the games EA make.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

Nintendo would likely have to pay EA money to develop titles, if I were Nintendo I'd finance some cheap stuff, exclusive downloadable titles like a Battlefield 2143, or games like NFL Blitz, NHL Hitz, NBA Jams, and MLB Slugfest. There's really no point right now trying to get games that are ported to current and last gen Xbox and PlayStation.

Or, better yet, make the next Blitz, Hitz, Jams, and Slugfest games, but instead of licensing the costly sports league names and player rosters, just scrap all that, make these games but instead create teams using Nintendo characters from their numerous franchises, and maybe even bring in third party content much like is done for the Smash Bros games. That way Nintendo can stand out as having something unique that none of the other consoles will have, and EA would stand to benefit from being able to utilize Nintendo's licenses.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

Too bad because madden 13 WiiU was the best version by far IMO.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

EAs efforts on Wii and 3DS ranged from half-hearted to down right abysmal... I am not saying that Nintendo doesnt need 3rd party, but it can certainly do without EAs shovelware.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By dobzilian

@nini200: Roadrash was the first memorable game from them for myself. Desert & Jungle Strike where awesome too.

Seems like they are supporting Vita and 3DS with FIFA at least but no WiiU.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-Arts-FIFA-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B00KHJLGKC

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@dobzilian said:

@nini200: Roadrash was the first memorable game from them for myself. Desert & Jungle Strike where awesome too.

Yeah man. Road Rash was the best. Oh wow lol Desert & Jungle Strike lol Nice

The good days of EA, but those days are long gone

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Well, that sucks. I was hoping for a dead space game on vita one day.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dobzilian

@nini200: I quite enjoyed Theme Park and Hospital also. I think last gen I played 2 to 3 Need for Speeds, Mirrors Edge and Dead Space 1 & 2.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@dobzilian said:

According to Peter Moore from EA.

ARTICLE.

We were supportive of both of those platforms. But then you’ve got finite resources and you’ve got teams that say, ‘We really think that two or three years from now, these are the platforms that people are going to be consuming games on.’ And you look at the quality of what you can do on phones and tablets… Sometimes strategy is not about what you do but what you don’t do, and you have to make some hard calls when you’ve got only so many people. To my point, we’ve got to be planning for FY 17 and 18. Do you think the Vita and 3DS are going to be around in some shape or fashion by then on a scale level?

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/07/ea-on-the-future/

Your thoughts people.

Those are the only consoles worthy of purchase so far this gen. Looks like EA has no future in my household.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@osan0 said:

have no future for EA games i think is more accurate. battlefield, crysis, mass effect, dragon age....these games dont have an audience on handhelds and also dont have an audience on the wiiu.

i cant think of a single game EA make where i would think "man i have to play the wiiu or vita version". their tablet/mobile phone business is nothing short of an absolute disgrace. game design by accountants. to see those games on any platform would just drag it down (seriosuly MS, sony and ninty should flat out ban such practices on their platforms. dont ban F2p....ban blatant taking the whizz).

they dont make 3ds games (i dont see it listed on their webiste at all) so you cant have a future on a platform if you dont actually release anything for that platform.

did they take a punt at madden on the wiiu? surely the wiius gamepad (and vita/PS4) would make arranging plays all the better? did they bother and, if they did, did they somehow nerf the game?

but anyway they are right. those platforms dont have a future for the games EA make.

yea...they really painted themselves into a corner by offering no variety in their games....they have 1 market and thats it.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178838 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

Well, at this point, I'm hardly seeing a reason to support EA. As much as Wii U and Vita need support, the less platforms with EA support, the better.

I haven't supported EA since they dissed the DC.....

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#43  Edited By Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

Is the next comment made by EA going to be that they're making a new portable?

I mean its obvious with the phones and all but what made someone from EA come out and say that?

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Damn I was expecting Mass Effect 4 on 3DS.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Well that's true isn't it? For Wii U at least.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#46  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@dobzilian said:

@LegatoSkyheart: surprising how many reasons "excuses" you can come up without saying "We just dont want or need to support these platform's and never intended too".

Yeah it's pretty stupid. But I think the most legitimate excuse they can have right now is that Development costs are so high right now they can't afford to make "AA or A" titles as well as "AAA" titles any more. It's "AAA" or nothing.

Sure they got PoP Cap doing their bidding on Mobile, but those games are terrible. They can't do stuff like that on PS4 and Xbone they gotta up their game. They know stuff like Simcity, Dead Space 3, and Battlefield 4 isn't going to fly this generation.

Will they stop doing the Always online Singleplayer, Microtransactions, or Releasing Yearly (broken) Battlefields? Heck no, they will continue to do that stuff till they go broke. But they will try their darnest to make that game pretty. Just look at Dragon Age.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

How did EA go from a bit of a darling releasing so many new IPs last gen to becoming complete and utter loons again?

Dead space, bad company, mirrors edge, bulletstorm, burnout paradise, Dragon Age, Kingdoms of amalur,

I mean they helped give breath and life to all these new IPs and great sequels and they just royally screwed it up

Probably change in leadership? They actually had a "core franchise" strategy years ago. Then all of a sudden they changed the emphasis: created many new IP's, and had that partnership program with some 3rd party studios. But you have to admit, while they had some great games in there, some of them were sales flops (Syndicate, Kingdoms, Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, etc). So they are now going back to an even more streamlined "core franchise" strategy. I think they only have plans for like 10 franchise games going forward - with very little new IP. When this fails (as it inevitably will) we will proably see the pendulum go back the other way again - and they will create some new IP, buy new IP, or resurrect some old-dormant ones.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Whoever made this statement is probably blowing his/her higher up right now. If the person in charge said it, then he/she is doing so to all the shareholders.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 nintendoboy16

@Bigboi500 said:

Do you care what those factions think? If you do, you shouldn't. They're insignificant cockroaches.

I don't. But, for the sake of SW, they seem to when it fits them.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Wiiu and nintendo IS the future. Gamers will realize this over the course of this generation.