Wii/PS3/Kinect homebrewer rumor: Durango CPU clocked at 1.6ghz.

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

Let the X720 speculation begin!:P

Couresy of NeoGaf

In reference to a question Marcan got on the Wii U's CPU clock at 1.25ghz...

Originally Posted by:

Marcan:If you want more evidence that MHz isn't everything, a little birdie points out that Durango (Xbox 720) is specc'ed to have a 1.6GHz CPU.

Food for thought. (And don't bother asking me who that little birdie is.)

Marcan is one of the key members of failoverflow and a lead hacker in the Wii/Wii U scene. He apparently has some sources in the know, aside from confirming the exact specs of the Wii U himself through hacking means.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

lol, isn't that what the Wii-U is clocked at?

yellonet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 yellonet
Member since 2004 • 7768 Posts

The clock frequency of a cpu tells you nearly nothing about its performance.
Compare a 3 GHz Pentium 4 with a 3 GHz Core i7 and you'll see.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

The issue was never clock speed, he himself said it was only a little better than a 360 processor.. that's the issue here. This is for the Wii U peeps that come in here trying to gloat.

yellonet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 yellonet
Member since 2004 • 7768 Posts

The issue was never clock speed, he himself said it was only a little better than a 360 processor.. that's the issue here. This is for the Wii U peeps that come in here trying to gloat.

GD1551

If true, that would be nice, then the console itself could be smaller and less prone to faults as consoles should be.
More importantly, game developers could concentrate more on creating good gaming experiences that fit console gaming instead of trying to push the graphics more and more. Graphics development really belong on PC anyway.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

Not only does clock speed not matter, the gpu is way more important to the power of the console than the cpu.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

So some hacker who says he has "sources" is now what gaming journalism is basing articles off of? Jesus. I'm not even going to bother with this one.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

Not only does clock speed not matter, the gpu is way more important to the power of the console than the cpu.

way2funny
well thats partly true. Indeed other thinks such as the micro architecture the cpu is based on and IPC count are more important but clock speed still does matter Imagine an i5 at 1,4ghz . It wont be faster than a phenom II at 3,6ghz. Sure it has vastly better IPC but the speed difference is just to big Now i would say if that was a more decent 2,5 ghz then yes it wont matter but at 1,6ghz damn that is a good amount of performance lost
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

yellonet

but the Wii U CPU is just an overclocked Wii Broadway CPU with 2 tacked on cores (for a total of 3)... They both share the same archaic architecture, that's why the Wii's homebrew works on the Wii U.

Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Plagueless
Member since 2010 • 2569 Posts
If the rumors about 2 different models of the next xbox are true then this could be true but still not matter in the slightest. A 1.6 GHz Cpu could run Arcade games and stream movies no problem, as the rumored low-end model has been said to do.
Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#11 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

eek.

Sony, you're our last hope for a true next gen console. God speed...

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

[QUOTE="way2funny"]

adamosmaki

well thats partly true. Indeed other thinks such as the micro architecture the cpu is based on and IPC count are more important but clock speed still does matter Imagine an i5 at 1,4ghz . It wont be faster than a phenom II at 3,6ghz. Sure it has vastly better IPC but the speed difference is just to big Now i would say if that was a more decent 2,5 ghz then yes it wont matter but at 1,6ghz damn that is a good amount of performance lost

When I say clock speed doesnt matter, I meant if you just tell me the clock speed that tells me nothing. And people shouldn't be caught up with it until they see real world results or benchmarks. And like I said the cpu is the least of worries, the gpu is way more important in that equation

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 adamosmaki

[QUOTE="adamosmaki"][QUOTE="way2funny"]

way2funny

When I say clock speed doesnt matter, I meant if you just tell me the clock speed that tells me nothing. And people shouldn't be caught up with it until they see real world results or benchmarks. And like I said the cpu is the least of worries, the gpu is way more important in that equation

well yeah i agree with you speed alone tells nothing. In fact i will not be surprised if wiiU cpu is actually faster than 360/ps3 because despite having a much higher speed by now they are 7-8 year old cpus and a cpu even at 1,4ghz with much better micro architecture its not gonna be surprising if its faster Also while gpu is more important having a decent cpu would really help in open world games and big multiplayer maps ( 64 players and more ) so it will still be disappointing if the cpu turns out really low performance
Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Blazerdt47
If the rumors about 2 different models of the next xbox are true then this could be true but still not matter in the slightest. A 1.6 GHz Cpu could run Arcade games and stream movies no problem, as the rumored low-end model has been said to do.Plagueless
I don't think Microsoft would go as far as having two different models of hardware specs.
MaskedPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 MaskedPlayer
Member since 2012 • 892 Posts
[QUOTE="Plagueless"]If the rumors about 2 different models of the next xbox are true then this could be true but still not matter in the slightest. A 1.6 GHz Cpu could run Arcade games and stream movies no problem, as the rumored low-end model has been said to do.Blazerdt47
I don't think Microsoft would go as far as having two different models of hardware specs.

That rumour is terrible.Microsoft will loose so many customers. Parents will buy their children the cheaper version!When the kids will find out they cant play COD and HALO well...seeing how spoilt kids are these I wouldnt want to be in the parents shoes.
CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CwlHeddwyn
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts

way2funny
Clock speed does not matter? Amusing coming from a guy who has OC'd his i7 CPU all the way upto 4.6ghz. Clock speed clearly does matter but it's not the only thing to consider when looking at power. The reality is the lower your clock speed the more you are going to look at architectural improvements to beat a faster CPU.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Sounds like the clock speed of a tablet controller

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

So, a little birdy is now a trusty source that should be taken seriously ?

If the little bird said xbox 720 is running through the power of melted flower petals alone, would that also be considered a 100% confirmed xbox 720 spec ?

LOL LOL, i have a great time in these forums, all that sillyness

MaskedPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MaskedPlayer

If the little bird said xbox 720 is running through the power of melted flower petals alone, would that also be considered a 100% confirmed xbox 720 spec ?

loosingENDS
Why you so jelly?
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#20 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

We will see more credible (final?) specs in about a month!

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-features/67555-xbox-world-leaks-next-gen-720-details

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 adamosmaki

loosingENDS
yeah on contrary with you that somehow believe 720 will have a $500 gtx680. Thats totally plausible and not sillyness ( let the 2000 posts Loosey madness begin )
BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

[QUOTE="yellonet"]

Gue1

but the Wii U CPU is just an overclocked Wii Broadway CPU with 2 tacked on cores (for a total of 3)... They both share the same archaic architecture, that's why the Wii's homebrew works on the Wii U.

Source?

quickposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 quickposter
Member since 2010 • 1735 Posts

I don't know why people don't just accept it. They are getting their hopes up too high here. People will buy the consoles no matter how powerful they are anyway so what is the point in a significant leap when the install base will not justify the costs. Even twice the amount of dev costs would kill a company developing for the next Xbox exclusively. Fact.

MaskedPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MaskedPlayer
[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

adamosmaki
yeah on contrary with you that somehow believe 720 will have a $500 gtx680. Thats totally plausible and not sillyness ( let the 2000 posts Loosey madness begin )

a 680 would make the console to expensive unless microsoft make everything else crap.
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 adamosmaki

[QUOTE="adamosmaki"][QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

MaskedPlayer

a 680 would make the console to expensive unless microsoft make everything else crap.

Loosey seems to believe that. Also cost aside you have to consider this is a 200W gpu it needs a dual slot fan to keep it cool and its quite long but MS can apparently make magic and will fit it on a box as big as a 360 according to Loosey.

quickposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 quickposter
Member since 2010 • 1735 Posts

Loosey seems to believe that. Also cost aside you have to consider this is a 250W gpu it needs a dual slot fan to keep it cool and its quite long but MS can apparently make magic and will fit it on a box as big as a 360 according to Loosey. adamosmaki

He isn't being realistic. You also need to bear in mind that Microsoft will include Kinect which can also be expensive depending on what they improve. He will only come around and say "who cares about power" when he is proven wrong anyway. I bet 99% of this forum are only pretending to care power matters. Main stream consumers don't believe that and the market for power lovers is factually lower then the market for an affordable, less powerful system.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
I bet 99% of this forum are only pretending to care power matters.quickposter
Power matters to a certain degree, 90% of this forum didn't care for the Wii for that reason. It traduced in no multiplats at all.
MaskedPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MaskedPlayer

[QUOTE="MaskedPlayer"][QUOTE="adamosmaki"] yeah on contrary with you that somehow believe 720 will have a $500 gtx680. Thats totally plausible and not sillyness ( let the 2000 posts Loosey madness begin )adamosmaki

Loosey seems to believe that. Also cost aside you have to consider this is a 200W gpu it needs a dual slot fan to keep it cool and its quite long but MS can apparently make magic and will fit it on a box as big as a 360 according to Loosey.

Ohhhh I thought you were serious.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

[QUOTE="MaskedPlayer"][QUOTE="adamosmaki"] yeah on contrary with you that somehow believe 720 will have a $500 gtx680. Thats totally plausible and not sillyness ( let the 2000 posts Loosey madness begin )adamosmaki

He cant see anything in those rose tinted Microsoft issue spectacles.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 clyde46

way2funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygBP7MtT3Ac

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 adamosmaki
[QUOTE="adamosmaki"]

[QUOTE="MaskedPlayer"] a 680 would make the console to expensive unless microsoft make everything else crap.MaskedPlayer

Ohhhh I thought you were serious.

Nahhh i'm just making fun of LoosingEnds
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

Let the X720 speculation begin!:P

Couresy of NeoGaf

In reference to a question Marcan got on the Wii U's CPU clock at 1.25ghz...

Originally Posted by:

Marcan:If you want more evidence that MHz isn't everything, a little birdie points out that Durango (Xbox 720) is specc'ed to have a 1.6GHz CPU.

Food for thought. (And don't bother asking me who that little birdie is.)

Marcan is one of the key members of failoverflow and a lead hacker in the Wii/Wii U scene. He apparently has some sources in the know, aside from confirming the exact specs of the Wii U himself through hacking means.

Blazerdt47

On the Mhz issue, my laptop says Hi.

Kingpin0114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Kingpin0114
Member since 2008 • 2607 Posts

Hmmm...maybe that 8 core rumor is true then.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="way2funny"]

CwlHeddwyn

Clock speed does not matter? Amusing coming from a guy who has OC'd his i7 CPU all the way upto 4.6ghz. Clock speed clearly does matter but it's not the only thing to consider when looking at power. The reality is the lower your clock speed the more you are going to look at architectural improvements to beat a faster CPU.

Only for benchmarks. With external graphics card, my laptop can handle PC games just fine. I plan to use my old Radeon HD 6950 as my external graphics card for my laptop.

Intel Sandybridge/Ivybridge has both architectural improvements and clock speed.

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

BPoole96

That sound you hear is the point flying spectacularly over your heard.

1.6GHz seems a little low (especially with most rumours pointing to MS going with either an Intel or AMD CPU), but I suppose it could make sense if MS is really going with an 8-core CPU (especially if they're taking advantage of TurboBoost/whatever AMD calls their version of TurboBoost).

SectorSix6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SectorSix6
Member since 2012 • 201 Posts
Lem be cried?
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

Slow_Show

1.6GHz seems a little low (especially with most rumours pointing to MS going with either an Intel or AMD CPU), but I suppose it could make sense if MS is really going with an 8-core CPU (especially if they're taking advantage of TurboBoost/whatever AMD calls their version of TurboBoost).

AMD Opteron 4256 EE has 8 cores with 1.6Ghz base clock speed and 35W watts TDP. AMD Opteron 4256 EE can "Turbo Core" to 2.8Ghz and still keep it's 35 watts TDP.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#39 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
But how many bits is it?
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 clyde46

[QUOTE="Slow_Show"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

ronvalencia

AMD Opteron 4256 EE has 8 cores with 1.6Ghz base clock speed and 35W watts TDP. AMD Opteron 4256 EE can "Turbo Core" to 2.8Ghz and still keep it's 35 watts TDP.

That sounds like an epic CPU for a low power encoding server.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ronvalencia
But how many bits is it?charizard1605
AMD Opteron 4256 EE uses the same design as AMD Bulldozer i.e. 64bit instruction set with eight 128bit FMA/FMAC SIMD units. Two 128bit FMA/FMAC SIMD units combines to form one 256bit AVX SIMD unit.
Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Blazerdt47
So far next gen consoles look to be underpowered with a tablet and motion controls...again.. PC once again.

We'll see what Sony's going to do with the PS4.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ronvalencia

So far next gen consoles look to be underpowered with a tablet and motion controls...again.. PC once again.

We'll see what Sony's going to do with the PS4.
Blazerdt47

The leaked PS4 dev box uses AMD A10 Trinity and A10-5700K model has a base clock around 3.4Ghz+ quad core with 65 watts TDP. It can "Turbo Core" to 4Ghz.

AMD A10 Quad Core @ ~3.2Ghz ~= AMD Opteron 4256 EE Eight-Core @ 1.6Ghz.

Similar architecture with different performance approach i.e. AMD Opteron 4256 EE would be extremely multi-threaded bias.

Note that PPE in Xbox 360 has it's L2 cache clocked at 1.6Ghz.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ronvalencia
[QUOTE="ronvalencia"]

[QUOTE="Slow_Show"]

clyde46

Note that Intel has it's own low power Xeons.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 clyde46
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="ronvalencia"]

ronvalencia

I thought Xeons were crazy money for a tad more processing power than AMD's Opteron line?
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"][QUOTE="clyde46"] That sounds like an epic CPU for a low power encoding server.clyde46

I thought Xeons were crazy money for a tad more processing power than AMD's Opteron line?

It's what the market can bare. You don't under price if the market is willing to pay the asking price.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

So the next-gen could be "the slow CPU gen"?

I've heard it could have a 16-core ARM CPU.

Lower clock speeds but more emphasis on multithreading is my guess.

TheXFiles88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TheXFiles88
Member since 2008 • 1040 Posts

Then, please explain how the Xenos (which at least 1 gen ahead of the GPU's at that time) could fit inside the Xbox 360?

THIS....

=/=

TO THIS....

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Hmmm...maybe that 8 core rumor is true then.

Kingpin0114

Actually it was 16 cores. It was supposedly 8 for XBOX and 8 for Kinect. But looking at other rumors it looks plausible since more recent ones mention 4 hardware cores each divided into 4 logical cores. So that would make 16 cores.

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

No link to back-up the Wii U's clockspeed. Regardless 1.6ghz is pretty bad.