Wii Nationwide sellout (UK) - Amazon sells 1,400 Wiis in 10 minutes etc.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts

Got this from NeoGAF, who got it from GameFAQs.

According to these 3 reports from online newspapers:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2007/11/18/cnwii118.xml

Retailers have admitted that they will be unable to cope with unprecedented demand for Nintendo Wii consoles this Christmas, as appetite for the video games continues to grow.

New stocks are selling out within hours of delivery, websites are crashing and some online "clearing houses" - which alert shoppers to the whereabouts of new stock - are being contacted by 100,000 people a day.

Dixons.co.uk, the website, sold out of thousands of consoles within two hours of them going online on Wednesday. Amazon, another online retailer, is believed to have sold 1,400 machines in a 10-minute period last week. The consoles are being sold on auction sites such as eBay for almost twice their £179.99 retail price.

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/entertainment.cfm?id=1819102007

My own search continued at Game Station, where I smiled politely as a nice man informed me that they had just sold the last of their latest delivery and could not guarantee they would get any more before Christmas. After similar, spirit-crushing knockbacks from Currys, Game, PC World, HMV, Toys "R" Us, Virgin, John Lewis and Comet, my smile vanished.

"Try again next week," suggested one. "We've got a delivery due but we don't know when it will be," advised another. "We can take your name and number but there is no guarantee that you get it in time for Christmas..." "You'll be lucky pal...". "Try eBay".

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/article3169939.ece

Since the Nintendo Wii launched in the autumn of last year, it has outsold its rivals and has fast become the number one games console on the market.

This Christmas it is set to go head-to-head with the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. But many retailers believe it will still outsell the newer versions of its rivals based on current demand.

So basically, Wii UK Sales = PS3 Europe Sales. Take that Renegade!

deadmeat59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2 deadmeat59
Member since 2003 • 8981 Posts
wii is a great system took me 6 months to get it
VinnoT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 VinnoT
Member since 2003 • 4649 Posts
Even though its such a good console and I love it. I really am so supprised at how crazy the country is going for it lol.
tbone29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 tbone29
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

It's times like this I wonder how in the hell I was ever able to get mine a few weeks after it launched without preordering.

:P

Truewiseblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Truewiseblade
Member since 2005 • 2607 Posts
What makes it surprising is that Wiis have been coming wih a pretty healthy supply for the last few months. Demand must seriously be spiking.
RobinHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 RobinHood
Member since 2002 • 421 Posts
Am from the UK and i can tell you things are getting out of control... its becoming a frenzy, a lot of retailers are fed up of people constantly asking about Wii stocks that they are putting up signs at the door saying "Wii out of stock". the demand is just unpresidented!
drewtwo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 drewtwo99
Member since 2005 • 9156 Posts

Am from the UK and i can tell you things are getting out of control... its becoming a frenzy, a lot of retailers are fed up of people constantly asking about Wii stocks that they are putting up signs at the door saying "Wii out of stock". the demand is just unpresidented!RobinHood

That's really interesting. I wonder why in the UK so much? In the states, I'm not seeing any signs... yet. Are they shipping less to the UK for some reason for the hollidays?

nicenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nicenator
Member since 2005 • 1938 Posts

Whats even more stupid over here is that some people still aren't convinced it will be this christmas' most popular gift. i personally am fed up with dealing with people asking for one where i work now.

chansaet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 chansaet
Member since 2003 • 6280 Posts
All I can say is WTF is up with Wii sales in japan lately? Its sold out across the US selling 500,000 a month. And now we hear UK having tons of wii sales. The rest of Europe is looking good for the wii too. SMG is sold out in my local walmart, toys R us, bestbuy, gamestop, and 2 EBgames. And In japan wii is selling at a rate of 30,000 a month. Plus SMG only sold 250K during launch. I hope that they fix the problem they are having in japan.
AdolescentDon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 AdolescentDon
Member since 2005 • 9081 Posts

Nintendo has stolen the UK away from Sony, everyone here is Nintendo crazy all of a sudden. Just the other day I was on a train to london and I saw something like 10 people on one carrage playing on their DS's and it's not kids i saw playing it's adults and teens! Most of them were girls.

On a side note, how hot is the girl in the DS ad on UK tv?

laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts

It's times like this I wonder how in the hell I was ever able to get mine a few weeks after it launched without preordering.

:P

tbone29

same here. I just got up at 6AM on a Sunday and went to target. they had 10 and I was 8th in line.

F-Minus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 F-Minus
Member since 2005 • 1009 Posts

All I can say is WTF is up with Wii sales in japan lately? Its sold out across the US selling 500,000 a month. And now we hear UK having tons of wii sales. The rest of Europe is looking good for the wii too. SMG is sold out in my local walmart, toys R us, bestbuy, gamestop, and 2 EBgames. And In japan wii is selling at a rate of 30,000 a month. Plus SMG only sold 250K during launch. I hope that they fix the problem they are having in japan.chansaet

Think it's 30.000 a week or I may be mistaken. Doesn't really matter tbh, the Wii is outselling every other competitior, ergo Nintendo is doing fantastic, they found themselves something they can milk for a fortune, it's been about time for the good ol Nintendo tho.

The bad thing is, I still can't get hands on Metroid Prime 3, where I live, always sold out, crap.

Nintendo has stolen the UK away from Sony, everyone here is Nintendo crazy all of a sudden. Just the other day I was on a train to london and I saw something like 10 people on one carrage playing on their DS's and it's not kids i saw playing it's adults and teens! Most of them were girls.

AdolescentDon

Well as far as I noticed, it's not only UK, Wii sells like hotcakes here too since about a week or so.

RobinHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 RobinHood
Member since 2002 • 421 Posts

[QUOTE="RobinHood"]Am from the UK and i can tell you things are getting out of control... its becoming a frenzy, a lot of retailers are fed up of people constantly asking about Wii stocks that they are putting up signs at the door saying "Wii out of stock". the demand is just unpresidented!drewtwo99

That's really interesting. I wonder why in the UK so much? In the states, I'm not seeing any signs... yet. Are they shipping less to the UK for some reason for the hollidays?

who knows? but i hope not, it seems that every kid and every adult in the land wants a Wii for christmas. Its perceived as the coolest gadget in town, the gaming ipod.

kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 kevy619
Member since 2004 • 5617 Posts
wow, theres going to be alot of wiis on websites like Kijij and Craigs List.
wiganath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wiganath
Member since 2004 • 433 Posts

Who is buying the Wii?

I only know 1 person who has 1, yet they seem to be selling like theres no tomorrow. The only person i know who has one never plays it.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

AdolescentDon
Is there a link to see this commercial since I don't live in Europe.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
[QUOTE="AdolescentDon"]

Nintendo_Ownes7
Is there a link to see this commercial since I don't live in Europe.

Yeah, link or it didn't happen.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
Bu-bu-but only kids buy the Wii! There can't be that many kids! :cry:
tbone29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tbone29
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

Come to think of it, I still haven't seen a Wii on a store shelf, and it's been exactly one year
(Orlando area)

That's just unreal.

smartcriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 smartcriminal
Member since 2004 • 1275 Posts
Bu-bu-but only kids buy the Wii! There can't be that many kids! :cry:Hexagon_777
StryderK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 StryderK
Member since 2006 • 3189 Posts

All I can say is WTF is up with Wii sales in japan lately? Its sold out across the US selling 500,000 a month. And now we hear UK having tons of wii sales. The rest of Europe is looking good for the wii too. SMG is sold out in my local walmart, toys R us, bestbuy, gamestop, and 2 EBgames. And In japan wii is selling at a rate of 30,000 a month. Plus SMG only sold 250K during launch. I hope that they fix the problem they are having in japan.chansaet

One thing you have to remember is that Christmas is NOT the biggest shopping season in Japan. In fact, Christmas is more of a "Euro-American" thing. Most Asians can care less about it. In Japan, the biggest shopping season starts around Feb with the "Spring Festival" (AKA Lunar New Year) and ends about 1.5 months later with the mega three-weeks "Cherry Bloosm Festival". This festival is equivalent to Thanksgiving and Christmas rolled together! So in this case, Nintendo might be shifting supplies from Japan to the U.S. and Europe. When Spring Festival is about to hit, you may see supplies being shifted the other way since Feb. March is the slow period in the U.S. and Europe

JB730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JB730
Member since 2004 • 3375 Posts
wii-tang!
vengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 vengi
Member since 2004 • 399 Posts

Interesting... VGchartz are showing the Wii selling 50K in the UK alone, France is selling 37K wii consoles.

Which means that France and UK Wii sales are 87K combined which is greater then what the PS3 is selling in the whole of Europe (+ everything that isn't Japan and USA) - 79K

VGchartz seems to be getting it right so far, lets hope it keeps it up as we need a tracker for the whole of europe.