Wii Fit --- Miyamoto is uncertain that it will sell well in the U.S.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AvIdGaMeR444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AvIdGaMeR444
Member since 2004 • 7031 Posts

That's not a good sign. Miyamoto has always been "Mr. Positive" with most of his decisions. I've never seen much negativity from him...if any. From GameSpot news...

When asked what he expected the American response to the game would be, Miyamoto admitted it was tough to predict due to cultural differences. According to the blog, "Miyamoto noted that on average, American families are apart more often than those in Japan. A lot of families have parents who have separated or divorced, so it's tougher to predict the role family will play in the American response to Wii Fit."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6189549.html

People seem to automatically assume that Wii Fit will be a hit in the United States. I'm not so sure about that. And even Miyamoto himself isn't certain.

creepy_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 creepy_mike
Member since 2007 • 1092 Posts
I greatly admire Miyamoto, but he's not omniscient, even in regards to his own work. Besides, now he'll be pleasantly surprised if it does sell well, which is far better than being cocky and then having it flop (which is unlikely).
-Jiggles-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 -Jiggles-
Member since 2008 • 4356 Posts

Wii Sports, Wii Play, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, and many other downmarket games by Nintendo (Nintendogs, Brain Age, etc) all sold extremely well in the US.

I don't see any reason why Wii Fit will be any different, since it's directly targeting a big issue in this country; obesity. Surely the little game won't make you lose 30 pounds, but due to the way the game is being marketed, many people (and I do mean many) will buy into the fact that it's an exercising tool.

N3UR0SIS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 N3UR0SIS
Member since 2007 • 160 Posts
I doubt it'll sell well at all... it doesn't even look fun LOL.
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
When you read that quote you can't but help feel sad for the fact he right about American families.
-Jiggles-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -Jiggles-
Member since 2008 • 4356 Posts

I doubt it'll sell well at all... it doesn't even look fun LOL.N3UR0SIS

How fun a game looks barely has any relationship with how well the game sells these days. 50 Cent: Bulletproof was a terrible game, yet it sold millions of copies by brand name alone. What's going to stop Wii Fit from doing the same? What if Wii Fit is actually an excellent game yet it sells very little in return?

Quality =/= Quantity.

N3UR0SIS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 N3UR0SIS
Member since 2007 • 160 Posts

[QUOTE="N3UR0SIS"]I doubt it'll sell well at all... it doesn't even look fun LOL.-Jiggles-

How fun a game looks barely has any relationship with how well the game sells these days. 50 Cent: Bulletproof was a terrible game, yet it sold millions of copies by brand name alone. What's going to stop Wii Fit from doing the same? What if Wii Fit is actually an excellent game yet it sells very little in return?

Quality =/= Quantity.

You actually have a point with the 50 Cent thing... touche.

rexCo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 rexCo
Member since 2005 • 943 Posts

That's not a good sign. Miyamoto has always been "Mr. Positive" with most of his decisions. I've never seen much negativity from him...if any.

It's just his own way of attempting to show himself as "human" to us lesser beings.

EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts
Well forecasting isn't his strong point
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50662 Posts

When you read that quote you can't but help feel sad for the fact he right about American families. HarlockJC

Very much so. Every thing in America is very antifamily. Sad state we are in right now.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

[QUOTE="HarlockJC"]When you read that quote you can't but help feel sad for the fact he right about American families. Chutebox

Very much so. Every thing in America is very antifamily. Sad state we are in right now.

I love my wife and we have been together from High school for 13 years now. I can not understand how someone could just fall out of love.

club-sandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 club-sandwich
Member since 2007 • 8399 Posts
I really hope it sells bad, there's just some games that should never be released.
kittykatz5k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#13 kittykatz5k
Member since 2004 • 32249 Posts
Look at Animal Crossing. He was never certain that would succeed, and it did. Miyomoto knows reelasing something like this is a risk.
Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts
[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

[QUOTE="HarlockJC"]When you read that quote you can't but help feel sad for the fact he right about American families. HarlockJC

I love my wife and we have been together from High school for 13 years now. I can not understand how someone could just fall out of love.

dont jinx yourself bro, but congrats for having a long happy marriage.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

[QUOTE="HarlockJC"]When you read that quote you can't but help feel sad for the fact he right about American families. HarlockJC

oh how lucky you are dude especially living in U.S. 50% of all American households suffer from divorce.

TDLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TDLlama
Member since 2006 • 2779 Posts

He has the right to be skeptical... but I think the economy will have more of an impact than the state of families in America. $90 for a fitness game is a lot, you know.

I still think it will sell a few million here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
When Wii Fit is released it will be ALL OVER CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, and every other major media outlet. That is a **** of free POSITIVE publicity that Nintendo does not have to pay for. Wii Fit is gonna be huge. Bank on it.
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 karasill
Member since 2007 • 3155 Posts
I already know 3 non-gamers, 1 casual gamer, and 1 "hardcore" gamer who will buy the game and two out of those five don't even have a Wii yet. I think it's going to sell really well here. Don't forget the huge install base of the Wii.
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

Because they're not truly in love to begin with.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts
[QUOTE="HarlockJC"][QUOTE="Chutebox"]

[QUOTE="HarlockJC"]When you read that quote you can't but help feel sad for the fact he right about American families. lordlors

oh how lucky you are dude especially living in U.S. 50% of all American households suffer from divorce.

The flip side to this is the other 50% suffer from marriage. :P

Just kidding, I've been pretty lucky too. A good woman is a blessing.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts
Reggie is certain, and he's the guy who make Nintendo products sell in America.
parksits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 parksits
Member since 2005 • 1037 Posts
[QUOTE="HarlockJC"][QUOTE="Chutebox"]

[QUOTE="HarlockJC"]When you read that quote you can't but help feel sad for the fact he right about American families. Rage010101

North America is in a sad state, how would life be if parents weren't too busy working to pay attention to their kids, and stay married. but to answer your question, i think people don't fasll out of love, because they never really loved the other person in the first place. When i find the right girl, I won't ever want to leave her.
Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
His argument does make sence due to the fact it is a strictly familly or casual oriented game, but I think casuals have overcome the familly aspect of most gaming choices and purchase anyways.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#24 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts
Probably because the game is anti-McDonalds or something.
EliteKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 EliteKitteh
Member since 2008 • 805 Posts

Probably because the game is anti-McDonalds or something.FrozenLiquid

Nice avatar ;)

But mine's better :o

Avatar image for Cerberus_Legion
Cerberus_Legion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Cerberus_Legion
Member since 2007 • 1233 Posts
This game will likely sell like hotcakes in the US; games like this are often given extensive media coverage because of their positives, much like Brain Age and so forth. America is in health-conscious mode right now, Wii Fit is releasing at the perfect time. The 90$ may be a bit steep for some, but it will sell, mark my words. Mr. Miyamoto, you've nothing to fear, though I myself wouldn't buy this game.
Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

Wii Fit board will sell well. They just need to bring additional games out for it like SSX game and i will be happy forever and a week.

FamiBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FamiBox
Member since 2007 • 5481 Posts
reading the words "America" and "fit" in the same sentence seems kind of odd to me.
Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dibdibdobdobo

reading the words "America" and "BURGERS" in the same sentence seems kind of odd to me.FamiBox

That better?

FamiBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FamiBox
Member since 2007 • 5481 Posts

[QUOTE="FamiBox"]reading the words "America" and "BURGERS" in the same sentence seems kind of odd to me.Dibdibdobdobo

That better?

Yes. Americans never eat burgers, only fresh fruit and vegetables.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Dibdibdobdobo
[QUOTE="Dibdibdobdobo"]

[QUOTE="FamiBox"]reading the words "America" and "BURGERS" in the same sentence seems kind of odd to me.FamiBox

That better?

Yes. Americans never eat burgers, only fresh fruit and vegetables.

If thats true im more worried about Wii fit when it hits the UK then as all people here eat Burgers, Chips, Pizza.

Zerostatic0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32 Zerostatic0
Member since 2005 • 4263 Posts

That's not a good sign. Miyamoto has always been "Mr. Positive" with most of his decisions. I've never seen much negativity from him...if any. From GameSpot news..AvIdGaMeR444

Huh? I think you just made that up because Miyamoto is a lot less "blindly positive" then the head figures at the other hardware manufactures. I mean hell, he didn't even think the Wii was going to be a huge success in America.

ithilgore2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ithilgore2006
Member since 2006 • 10494 Posts
I doubt it'll sell well at all... it doesn't even look fun LOL.N3UR0SIS
Whether you think it looks fun or not has nothing to do with how it will sell. You mean "I hope it won't sell well".
Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts
judging on the reactions on this board, he's right..... lots of people afraid to look stupid.
r_gam3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 r_gam3
Member since 2008 • 1185 Posts
not surprised. I mean Wii fit is new just like wiisports. Its a hit or miss. Most likely it will sell. Wii fit in Uk is sold out.
PullTheTricker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PullTheTricker
Member since 2006 • 4749 Posts

It's just his own way of attempting to show himself as "human" to us lesser beings.

rexCo

Lesser beings? Speak for yourself mortal.

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts
All of Nintendo didn't think the Wii would sell so well, which is why there are supply issues. There are no guarantees in selling anything.
SpidersRMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SpidersRMe
Member since 2006 • 6201 Posts

Wii Fit will have success, for 2 reasons: Old people, and fat anime geeks. The genric otaku who can barely fit in the desks at an average public school will enjoy very Japanese feel and the sense of "this is good for me and sorta fun". And old people who bought the white, Japanese bowling simulator will be conused as hell by the sci-fi looking bathroom scale they bought.

vdastampede

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 vdastampede
Member since 2003 • 807 Posts

I really hope it sells bad, there's just some games that should never be released.club-sandwich

That's probably the worst thing I've ever read on these forums.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#40 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
[QUOTE="Rage010101"][QUOTE="HarlockJC"][QUOTE="Chutebox"]

[QUOTE="HarlockJC"]When you read that quote you can't but help feel sad for the fact he right about American families. parksits

North America is in a sad state, how would life be if parents weren't too busy working to pay attention to their kids, and stay married. but to answer your question, i think people don't fasll out of love, because they never really loved the other person in the first place. When i find the right girl, I won't ever want to leave her.

It isn't just USA.
I have a friend in Japan and we talked a lot about our differences in culture. They are funny sometimes, and make You see people can see anything You do as good or bad as they choose.
Like if You give a lot in return it would in many cases be a scandal in japan, since You didn't approve of someones superior position.
The differences in family bond made me jealous.
We made the perfect state together, with things from all countries we knew of, and in the family time department a lot was borrowed from japan.
Kingpin0114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Kingpin0114
Member since 2008 • 2607 Posts
It is going to sell. Nintendo is going to market the hell out of this game and once it gets on Oprah...oh boy. Casuals are going to eat this game up.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

Who cares. Scroll down the article.

PIKMIN 3 **** YES!

glitchgeeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#43 glitchgeeman
Member since 2005 • 5638 Posts
Unfortunately, he's right about American families. They're pretty much nonexistent, whether it's through divorce, busy schedules, or just lack of desire to see each other, I kind of have to agree with Miyamoto, that something like Wii Fit which seems to thrive off of human interraction, may not fare so well in the land of the antisocial family.
Heydanbud92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Heydanbud92
Member since 2007 • 4464 Posts
Miyamoto still gets worried about how games sell? What's nintendo gonna do if it doesn't? fire him? :lol:
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts

In Europe it is sold out everywhere with most UK retailers having no estimated restocking date due to "unprecedented demand".

Even if it doesn't sell as well in the US, I can't see it doing any worse than millions.

Heydanbud92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Heydanbud92
Member since 2007 • 4464 Posts

In Europe it is sold out everywhere with most UK retailers having no estimated restocking date due to "unprecedented demand".

Even if it doesn't sell as well in the US, I can't see it doing any worse than millions.

cakeorrdeath

and if it does sell well......billions? :o

Guiltfeeder566

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Guiltfeeder566
Member since 2005 • 10068 Posts
50% of Wii owners bought it for the fitness. It'll sell.