Wii close to 45 million units worldwide...96 million DS....Nintendo owns!

• 138 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

#1 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

Right now, somewhere in Kyoto, Japan, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata is smiling. Four years after skeptics questioned the Wii's viability, the console is soaring above even the wildest expectations.

This morning, the company that spent the last hardware generation bringing up the rear with the GameCube reported that its current console had sold 44.96 million units worldwide as of December 31--a 10 million unit increase from just two months prior. Of those 10 million, more than 4 million were sold in the US, with the NPD Group reporting 2.04 million in November and 2.15 million in December.

The Wii's older but smaller sibling is also faring well. The DS--itself the subject of widespread derision when it went on sale in November 2004--sold 96.22 million units as of the end of last year, pulling further ahead of its predecessor, the Game Boy Advance. The monumental figure comprises all models of the handheld, including 1.66 million units of the DSi, the camera-enabled third hardware revision currently available in Japan.

Though Nintendo makes a profit on hardware, its first-party publishing operation is also reaping riches from software sales. During the last nine months of 2008, Mario Kart Wii and Wii Fit both sold more than 10 million units worldwide, with 9.4 million copies of Wii Play also passing over store counters. The platform's software total now stands at 312 million as of December 31.

However, the Wii's huge software tally was still behind that of the DS. Boosted by the popularity of Kirby Super Star Ultra and the Japan-only release of Pokemon Platinum, some 163.78 million DS games were sold last year, pushing its software sales to the 533 million-unit mark as the New Year's Eve champagne corks popped.

Naturally, record sales mean record profits for Nintendo. In the nine months preceding December 31, the company racked up net sales of ¥1.536 trillion ($17.12 billion), a 17 percent year-on-year increase. Operating profits for the period were ¥501 billion ($5.58 billion)--a 27 percent increase--with net profits of ¥212.5 billion ($2.36 billion).

Unfortunately, the rising strength of the yen means that Nintendo's success abroad doesn't translate as well at home. As a result, Nintendo is revising its annual earnings estimates down 9 percent to a still-record ¥1.82 trillion ($20.2 billion). Forecasts for operating profit were cut 36 percent to 530 billion ($5.90 billion), with net profit trimmed back 33 percent to 230 billion ($2.56 billion).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll be sincere though. I'm surprised and proud of Nintendo:|

my_name_is_ron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 my_name_is_ron
Member since 2005 • 5549 Posts
now if only they could supply those 45 million wii's with some decent games everyone would be happy!
angry_fork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 angry_fork
Member since 2008 • 2184 Posts
I still don't think Wii will out-sell PS2. The game's just aren't there for the real audience who plays games, regardless of the casual crap, you need both in my opinion to own completely, PS2 had both.
_Pinbot_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 _Pinbot_
Member since 2008 • 1062 Posts
Sadly there aren't too many games that are worth playing on those 45 million.
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DeadMan1290
I still don't think Wii will out-sell PS2. The game's just aren't there for the real audience who plays games, regardless of the casual crap, you need both in my opinion to own completely, PS2 had both.angry_fork
Yeah, though this gen is still young I believe. And anything can happen. I don't think they sold 45 million units for no reason.
Avatar image for EndorphinMaster
EndorphinMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 EndorphinMaster
Member since 2009 • 2118 Posts

Sadly there aren't too many games that are worth playing on those 45 million._Pinbot_

that is pure opinion ;)

Grinning_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#7 Grinning_Demon
Member since 2009 • 1809 Posts
I still don't think Wii will out-sell PS2. The game's just aren't there for the real audience who plays games, regardless of the casual crap, you need both in my opinion to own completely, PS2 had both.angry_fork
the Wii is 2 years old. TWO years
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts
Well when you aim for an untaped market what do you expect to happen.
Avatar image for NocturnalNoctis
NocturnalNoctis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NocturnalNoctis
Member since 2009 • 300 Posts
I'm not that big on Nintendo. *insert generic my Wii has been dusty on the shelf for years comment* but i've been saying for the longest time that they're gonna do something epic with all that money and Wii 2 doing 8th gen. A Nintendo fanboy's dream will come true next-gen. I hope
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
Well when you aim for an untaped market what do you expect to happen.finalfantasy94
Most fail when trying to do that
angry_fork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 angry_fork
[QUOTE="angry_fork"]I still don't think Wii will out-sell PS2. The game's just aren't there for the real audience who plays games, regardless of the casual crap, you need both in my opinion to own completely, PS2 had both.Grinning_Demon

I think Wii is going to slow down dramatically next year, unless they announce some good stuff at E3. We'll see what happens.
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DeadMan1290
[QUOTE="Grinning_Demon"][QUOTE="angry_fork"]I still don't think Wii will out-sell PS2. The game's just aren't there for the real audience who plays games, regardless of the casual crap, you need both in my opinion to own completely, PS2 had both.angry_fork

I think Wii is going to slow down dramatically next year, unless they announce some good stuff at E3. We'll see what happens.

Nintendo has really surprised me this gen. I never thought the Wii would sell this much.
Grinning_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Grinning_Demon

[QUOTE="Grinning_Demon"][QUOTE="angry_fork"]I still don't think Wii will out-sell PS2. The game's just aren't there for the real audience who plays games, regardless of the casual crap, you need both in my opinion to own completely, PS2 had both.angry_fork

lol It wont, im shure it wont.

The sequel to Wii Sports is coming, motion plus is coming, traditional suport is better then 2008 already. Nintendo has yet to announce their line-up They still have the price cut and colour Wiis cards to raise demand, major Japan support to back them up.

Yeah Nintendo has nothing to worry about.

Oh and E3 may not be their traditional event anymore. Its the October conference

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

This year or 2010? Because they are still told out and the first month is about though

Also Wiisports 2 is the best system seller this year.

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
[QUOTE="angry_fork"][QUOTE="Grinning_Demon"] the Wii is 2 years old. TWO yearsDeadMan1290

Nintendo has really surprised me this gen. I never thought the Wii would sell this much.

Wii surprised everyone i think, hell it even surprised nintendo :|
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DeadMan1290
[QUOTE="angry_fork"][QUOTE="Grinning_Demon"] the Wii is 2 years old. TWO yearsGrinning_Demon

lol It wont, im shure it wont. The sequel to Wii Sports is coming, motion plus is coming, traditional suport is better then 2008 already. Nintendo has yet to announce their line-up They still have the price cut and colour Wiis cards to raise demand, major Japan support to back them up. Yeah Nintendo has nothing to worry about.

What more does Nintendo need really?
789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

You give casual gamers too much credit.The mere fact that the Wii exists will mean still-phenomanal sales this year.

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
Wow across these two platforms nintendo has sold 140 million units of hardware. That's just out of this world.
Hockey_Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Hockey_Slayer
Member since 2004 • 3213 Posts
Sweet. Can't wait for the games they got comeing out so far this year, and I can't wait until E3 to see what they have in store for us.
angry_fork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 angry_fork

[QUOTE="angry_fork"][QUOTE="Grinning_Demon"] the Wii is 2 years old. TWO yearsHarlockJC

This year or 2010? Because they are still told out and the first month is about though

Grinning_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Grinning_Demon
[QUOTE="HarlockJC"]

[QUOTE="angry_fork"] I think Wii is going to slow down dramatically next year, unless they announce some good stuff at E3. We'll see what happens.angry_fork

2010? The year of Dragon Quest X? Tales of Ten, Monster Hunter 3 (or is it 09) and maybe Zelda Wii and new Galaxy team game? hmm i REALLY doubt it. And by that time the price should drop, and if it wont drop by 2010 than oh boy is sony and MS in trouble.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
good games good sales good god they are driving that gravy train with biscuit wheels
Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts
Man, Nintendo is raking in the cash. I just wish they they didn't trade as pink sheets in the US.
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ogvampire
Member since 2008 • 9123 Posts

I'm not that big on Nintendo. *insert generic my Wii has been dusty on the shelf for years comment* but i've been saying for the longest time that they're gonna do something epic with all that money and Wii 2 doing 8th gen. A Nintendo fanboy's dream will come true next-gen. I hopeNocturnalNoctis

seriously... thats my hope as well

rgame1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rgame1
Member since 2008 • 2526 Posts
correct
Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts
Their consoles sure do print money.
ImOldGreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ImOldGreg
Member since 2007 • 2357 Posts
All they need to do now is announce a fisher price merger or WII KNIT and thet're set for the rest of this gen :P
death919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#28 death919
Member since 2004 • 4724 Posts
lol there's not even 45 million good games available, it has like what 10 AAA's, not even 1 AAA per person, so why is it selling so much?
Grinning_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Grinning_Demon
lol there's not even 45 million good games available, it has like what 10 AAA's, not even 1 AAA per person, so why is it selling so much?death919
lol Are you serious? I feel stupid asking this but it is SW, i could see someone say that with a straight face here
Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ragashahs
Member since 2005 • 8785 Posts
now you'd think that console would have consistantly good games
Avatar image for All_that_is_Man
All_that_is_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 All_that_is_Man
Member since 2008 • 2044 Posts
I don't see why people keep buying DS's....But I guess I also made the mistake of buying one
roddollente

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 roddollente
Member since 2008 • 1543 Posts
whatever people say about the Wii being 'casual' or stuff is just stupid. i mean, to get that BIG of a sales number means that Nintendo knows how to handle business. i give them props for forever keeping the video game industry going. from the Super Mario Bros. to the Gameboy which revolutionized handheld gaming to the Mario 64 to the innovative Wii controller, props to them. no other gaming company can pull off all the things that they have done for the past 2-3 decades. i salute you, nintendo! aw!
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ogvampire
Member since 2008 • 9123 Posts

The number one movie in America is Mall Cop. /threadZoso-8

um.... ok. this is World-Wide sales. so how does that explain the rest of the world? :|

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
whatever people say about the Wii being 'casual' or stuff is just stupid. i mean, to get that BIG of a sales number means that Nintendo knows how to handle business. i give them props for forever keeping the video game industry going. from the Super Mario Bros. to the Gameboy which revolutionized handheld gaming to the Mario 64 to the innovative Wii controller, props to them. no other gaming company can pull off all the things that they have done for the past 2-3 decades. i salute you, nintendo! aw!roddollente
I laugh when people mourn Nintendo's glory days, saying how great they were back when they had the NES and the SNES. The NES and the Wii have the exact same strategy behind them. The NES was about as casual and gimmicky a as you could find when it first came out.
BetaRay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BetaRay
Member since 2009 • 118 Posts

I havent touched my Wii since March when Brawl came out

Played it for a week, god sick of it and sold it. My Wii has been in a shoe box ever since then

BetaRay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BetaRay
Member since 2009 • 118 Posts

While I think the Wii suck

The DS is indeed worth my money due to the slick amount of RPG's they have and I love my JPRG

hellraiser_07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hellraiser_07
Member since 2006 • 2171 Posts
You can keep your sales for yourself while we'll keep our good games for ourselves. Everybody wins =D, you don't, obviously.
Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts

[QUOTE="Zoso-8"]The number one movie in America is Mall Cop. /threadogvampire

um.... ok. this is World-Wide sales. so how does that explain the rest of the world? :|

Mall Cop is the number one movie in the world!!!! :o

Avatar image for ps3_owns_360Wii
ps3_owns_360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 ps3_owns_360Wii
Member since 2008 • 2289 Posts
if the wiii keeps selling like this it will past the ps2 in 4 year:?
tbone29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tbone29
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts
[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

[QUOTE="Zoso-8"]The number one movie in America is Mall Cop. /threadZhengi

Mall Cop is the number one movie in the world!!!! :o

Pft, who cares, only grandmas and soccer moms watch it :x
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Tylendal
You can keep your sales for yourself while we'll keep our good games for ourselves. Everybody wins =D, you don't, obviously. hellraiser_07
Good games. Okay. You can keep your generic shooter #6584 and generic fighter #2945. I'll just enjoy unique games like Endless Ocean, Trauma Center, Wario Ware, Boom Blox, Blastworks, and Lost Winds.
tbone29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 tbone29
[QUOTE="hellraiser_07"]You can keep your sales for yourself while we'll keep our good games for ourselves. Everybody wins =D, you don't, obviously. Tylendal
Good games. Okay. You can keep your generic shooter #6584 and generic fighter #2945. I'll just enjoy unique games like Endless Ocean, Trauma Center, Wario Ware, Boom Blox, Blastworks, and Lost Winds.

Hm, everybody does win!
Avatar image for All_that_is_Man
All_that_is_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 All_that_is_Man
Member since 2008 • 2044 Posts

[QUOTE="hellraiser_07"]You can keep your sales for yourself while we'll keep our good games for ourselves. Everybody wins =D, you don't, obviously. Tylendal

The funny thing about this post, is that most of those games arn't even fun escially wario ware

Avatar image for Master-Thief-09
Master-Thief-09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#45 Master-Thief-09
Member since 2009 • 2534 Posts
now if only they could supply those 45 million wii's with some decent games everyone would be happy!my_name_is_ron
There are decent games on the Wii.
tbone29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tbone29

[QUOTE="Tylendal"][QUOTE="hellraiser_07"]You can keep your sales for yourself while we'll keep our good games for ourselves. Everybody wins =D, you don't, obviously. All_that_is_Man

The funny thing about this post, is that most of those games arn't even fun escially wario ware

And the funny thing about this post, is that both critic reviews and user reviews seem to support Tylendal moreso than you. I'd only chalk Endless Ocean up as a game I personally didn't find fun.
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Tylendal

[QUOTE="Tylendal"][QUOTE="hellraiser_07"]You can keep your sales for yourself while we'll keep our good games for ourselves. Everybody wins =D, you don't, obviously. All_that_is_Man

Trauma Center was enthralling, and completely unique. Endless Ocean is my favorite game of the gen. The others were all very entertaining, and Wario Ware is nothing if not fun. Especially if you get a group of people together.
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

When will the unwashed masses realise that the wii is a peice of crap that sold out its potential for a quick buck!

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

I havent touched my Wii since March when Brawl came out

Played it for a week, god sick of it and sold it. My Wii has been in a shoe box ever since then

BetaRay
well you cant play what you sold after a week now can you?
hellraiser_07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hellraiser_07
Member since 2006 • 2171 Posts

Generic shooters are better than unique mini games =l they are actually games, without the mini =l