Why Wii U failed?

• 171 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll Why Wii U failed? (63 votes)

Wii U is TOO WEAK 44%
Lack of Online Multiplayer 10%
Wii U GamePad 17%
Price Is Too High 29%

Select 1 and and tell us why Wii U failed?

Those 4 reasons are what i heard most.

(NON TOPIC - I played Kinect Sports Rivals. Great game, works very well. Bad score because soccer and shooting games are bad which means Kinect Sports Rivals has only 4 games for 60 dollars. If game price was 30 dollars then score would be higher. Its just Value reviews).

• 
Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#1 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Didn't fail.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

1) Came out too soon

2)Name

Also,not sure why you made a point about KSR

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

You do realize it's ahead of your beloved X1?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Because you make shitty threads

IamAdorable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 IamAdorable
Member since 2013 • 407 Posts

Mine has online multiplayer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#6 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

And once again, I want to point out it has online multiplayer. Do your research, idiot.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

It's a bargain-basement priced console that only appeals to hardcore gamers. At that price, Nintendo really needs to find a way to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

And once again, I want to point out it has online multiplayer. Do your research, idiot.

So Nintendo Land has online multiplayer? Pikmin 3 has online? Sniper Elite v2 has online? Why multiplatform online games are dead(i tested myself, nobody is playing). Most games don´t even support DLC. No achivements, no ranks. Yes, even Super Smash Bros won´t have rank. Everyone knows that online is dead on Wii U. Even Mario Kart 8 won´t support party or voice chat.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lostrib

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@charizard1605 said:

So Nintendo Land has online multiplayer? Pikmin 3 has online? Sniper Elite v2 has online? Why multiplatform online games are dead(i tested myself, nobody is playing). Most games don´t even support DLC. No achivements, no ranks. Yes, even Super Smash Bros won´t have rank. Everyone knows that online is dead on Wii U

there's a difference between online being dead and not having it

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MonsieurX

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@charizard1605 said:

So Nintendo Land has online multiplayer? Pikmin 3 has online? Sniper Elite v2 has online? Why multiplatform online games are dead(i tested myself, nobody is playing). Most games don´t even support DLC. No achivements, no ranks. Yes, even Super Smash Bros won´t have rank. Everyone knows that online is dead on Wii U. Even Mario Kart 8 won´t support party or voice chat.

Get your shit straight.

FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FreedomFreeLife

@lostrib said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@charizard1605 said:

So Nintendo Land has online multiplayer? Pikmin 3 has online? Sniper Elite v2 has online? Why multiplatform online games are dead(i tested myself, nobody is playing). Most games don´t even support DLC. No achivements, no ranks. Yes, even Super Smash Bros won´t have rank. Everyone knows that online is dead on Wii U

It has both problems. Lack of online games and those games that has online are dead.

@MonsieurX said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@charizard1605 said:

Get your shit straight.

Super Smash Bros - There's no online ranking system

PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PrincessGomez92

Lol freedomfreelife. Idiot.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lostrib

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@lostrib said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@charizard1605 said:

It has both problems. Lack of online games and those games that has online are dead.

@MonsieurX said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@charizard1605 said:

Get your shit straight.

Okay, but it does have online multiplayer. Get your shit straight

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

Not enough games and PS4 and X1 will follow the same path unless they get their stuff together. So far this whole gen is underwhelming.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

Too weak.. Pretty much all of its problems stem from that. The lack of third party support. Disdain by core gamers. All stem from the laughably weak hardware. Only problem that isn't hardware related is the lack of interest from casuals. Which has to do with the fact that it didn't capture their attention as an "it" device this time.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MonsieurX

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@MonsieurX said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@charizard1605 said:

Get your shit straight.

There is one.

And that's why nobody takes you seriously

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

NON TOPIC

Yeah, pretty much.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lostrib

@MonsieurX said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@MonsieurX said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@charizard1605 said:

Get your shit straight.

There is one.

well that, and all the talk about kinect rivals...actually really just about anything he posts

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ConanTheStoner
@FreedomFreeLife said:

i tested myself, nobody is playing

How did you test it when just the other day you proved to us that you don't even know what controllers are supported, how the controllers work, what kinds of games are playable on the system and that you didn't even know that there was any online functionality.

Are you telling us that you went and bought a Wii U yesterday with some online games so you could 'test' them and tell us about it today?

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

You missed the obvious answer: Everyone learned their lesson after the Wii. Once bitten, twice shy.

I'll likely never own another Nintendo console after the shit-fest that was the Wii.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lostrib

@ConanTheStoner said:
@FreedomFreeLife said:

How did you test it when just the other day you proved to us that you don't even know what controllers are supported, how the controllers work, what kinds of games are playable on the system and that you didn't even know that there was any online functionality.

Are you telling us that you went and bought a Wii U yesterday with some online games so you could 'test' them and tell us about it today?

Lol, oh jesus. Is there a link to this?

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

It flopped because it is a one trick pony and we have seen the trick too much. The wii u is a gaming console and the worst one at that at a similar price point to much more cable hardware. Add in the fact that it has no 3rd party support and the worse online gaming and it just rubs salt in the wound.

All you get with the wii u is Nintendo and that frankly is no enough to justify the price.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

It came out too late. People had been clamoring for a "WiiHD" since shortly after the Wii's massive launch success. If it would have launched by 2010-11, it would have had a much better boost from the Wii's popularity, and as many as 3 years to itself as the most powerful console on the market right around the time console only players started itching for new hardware. I'd bet it would have garnered a fair amount of additional 3rd party support if it were out with the "HD twins" long enough to make it worthwhile for publishers to allocate teams to port for it. Instead, they brought out it out when gamers knew other, far more capable consoles were on the horizon and the popularity of the Wii had fallen off a cliff.

The naming and advertising also stunk. It's completely unacceptable that a year and a half after launch a sizable portion of their customers from last gen have confusion as to what the WiiU even is. If you're going to chase after the casual and youth markets, you need to tailor your message to be clear and easily understandable.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MonsieurX

@bforrester420 said:

You missed the obvious answer: Everyone learned their lesson after the Wii. Once bitten, twice shy.

I'll likely never own another Nintendo console after the shit-fest that was the Wii.

How was it a shit fest exactly?

Had amazing 1st and 2nd party games

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ConanTheStoner

@lostrib said:

@ConanTheStoner said:
@FreedomFreeLife said:

Lol, oh jesus. Is there a link to this?

An excruciating read.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@charizard1605 said:

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 has online. Assassin's Creed III has online. Tekken Tag Tournament has online. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag has online. Splinter Cell: Blacklist has online. Need for Speed: Most Wanted has online. Mass Effect 3 has online. Call of Duty: Ghosts has online. Mario Kart 8 has online. Super Smash Bros. has online.

All of these (except for Mario Kart) support voice chat, ranked leaderboards, achievements (it's called Miiverse), and more.

You have no fucking clue what you are talking about. Prove that you have a Wii U- either you post your Nintendo Network ID, or you post a picture of your Wii U. Do it now, or shut the **** up already. Go play your precious Kinect Sports Rivals.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

@lostrib said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@lostrib said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@charizard1605 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@charizard1605 said:

Get your shit straight.

Okay, but it does have online multiplayer. Get your shit straight

Smash Bros. Online ranking system

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

Horrible marketing, they should be all over it and say "wii u new cheap console without mature games for your kids to play even when you wanna use the tv thanks to the display on the controller"

Thats what i would do.

Aside from that it needed more innovation a better name and more power and third party support.

Still nitnedo has enough money to burn, if anything sony and ms are more in danger than nintendo. Sony finacials are pretty bad and they fire stuff left and right while ms might drop xbox if it doesnt make profit for them.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Horrible advertising is why the Wii U is where it is today.

PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PrincessGomez92

@MonsieurX:

And some amazing third party games.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#31 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

The everyday consumer, or what 'gamers' call 'casuals,' isn't interested in it.

I'll be picking it up eventually. I don't really have the funds or motivation to pick up any next generation console at the moment, but WiiU seems like it's shaping up rather nicely this year, and when X is released, I'll be heading over to a store near me to grab a WiiU and a copy of X.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 Renegade_Fury  Online
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

Name, price, and the gimmick has no appeal compared to the wii mote.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

On the same note, the other two consoles sort of lost favor with me, well Xbox One especially, due to the heavy online only emphasis of games.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

@bforrester420 said:

90% of that system's library was shovelware. There were only a handful of games I liked, and I hated the control scheme. 30 minutes of pointing that damned Wiimote at my TV drove my wrists crazy. I wanted to love Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess, but I couldn't play them long enough in one sitting to enjoy them.

My Wii spent the majority of last generation in its box.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Easily the gamepad, that's why you see more devs develop more games on Sony and M$ since they're not a pain in the ass to develop on. Only a few games that are specifically designed for the pad would work, it was the same thing for the Wii mote.

Also the price doesn't help as well, I mean seriously $299 for a 32GB system that's barely as powerful as the 360 and PS3? come on that's a rip off.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Ballroompirate said:

Easily the gamepad, that's why you see more devs develop more games on Sony and M$ since they're not a pain in the ass to develop on. Only a few games that are specifically designed for the pad would work, it was the same thing for the Wii mote.

The difference is the Wii U Pad is a standard controller, and if the developers want to, they can easily choose to ignore the Gamepad's screen and just use it as a regular controller (hell, even Nintendo did this with Tropical Freeze).

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By no-scope-AK47

@ribstaylor1 said:

Horrible advertising is why the Wii U is where it is today.

It was also very late to market.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MonsieurX

@bforrester420 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@bforrester420 said:

90% of that system's library was shovelware. There were only a handful of games I liked, and I hated the control scheme. 30 minutes of pointing that damned Wiimote at my TV drove my wrists crazy. I wanted to love Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess, but I couldn't play them long enough in one sitting to enjoy them.

My Wii spent the majority of last generation in its box.

Sounds like the PS2,but the PS2 get so much praise. I don't get it.

And the best games didn't even use the motion (or barely did)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Ballroompirate said:

Also the price doesn't help as well, I mean seriously $299 for a 32GB system that's barely as powerful as the 360 and PS3? come on that's a rip off.

Now come on, you're better than this. The Wii U is easily, noticeably more powerful than the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, and at $299, it comes with a game bundled as well.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MonsieurX

@charizard1605 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

The difference is the Wii U Pad is a standard controller, and if the developers want to, they can easily choose to ignore the Gamepad's screen and just use it as a regular controller (hell, even Nintendo did this with Tropical Freeze).

It's the same problem the the wii mote had: neat idea,but nobody fully uses it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@MonsieurX said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

It's the same problem the the wii mote had: neat idea,but nobody fully uses it

But in this case, the neat idea doesn't come at the expense of a traditional, standard controller, like it did with the Wiimote.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 no-scope-AK47

@charizard1605 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

Now come on, you're better than this. The Wii U is easily, noticeably more powerful than the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, and at $299, it comes with a game bundled as well.

The graphics are too similar and the ps3's best games even look better than the wii u's so far.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

The graphics are too similar and the ps3's best games even look better than the wii u's so far.

Because PS3 has had eight years of console optimization, Wii U has had two?

Mario Kart 8 for example looks absolutely stunning. X looks like something beyond what the PS3 could manage (especially considering its scale). Need for Speed: Most Wanted on Wii U was far and away a visual leap over the same game on PS3 or Xbox 360.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Mix of a lot of things.

First the market that they sold the Wii to isn't the market that you can continually exploit with new products. The Wii was sold to them based on a gimmick and its really low price point. They aren't gamers who demand new games to be made constantly. This is a market that is content with Wii Sports and maybe a handful of other games. They don't have the demand for more games or hardware. They bought for the gimmick and for some cheap entertainment.

So this cuts out the bulk of the Wii's sales. Nintendo still has a gamer following but it's significantly smaller than this new casual market they sold the Wii to. With the Wii Nintendo alienated a lot of their fans. The company's focus was clearly on a new market not interested in core games and in their pursuit of this new market they didn't give the core gamers enough support. Sure throughout its life there were plenty of core games made by Nintendo's first party devs, but there weren't many compared to the competition.

There is also the whole deal with Nintendo constantly butting heads with third party developers. They just can't seem to agree on things. Nintendo's tech is always years behind and they were very slow to pick up online features. Even the Wii U's online offerings are pretty thin compared to PSN and XBL.

These two things combined really hurt Nintendo's appeal to the core gamer audience. With the Wii this wasn't a problem because the core gamers weren't their target, but since the Wii market are not traditional gamers that consistent demand for gaming products (as I said before), they had to turn back to this audience they just spent an entire generation alienating.

Furthemore they entered this generation with yet another gimmick filled device that was 5+ years behind the times in terms of tech. This once again makes it difficult for 3rd party devs to support the platform thus lowering the total amount of games that are going to be on the platform.

To make it worse the 1st party offering has been thin. Mario is the only series we've seen so far. Mario Kart 8 is coming and it looks great, but it's still a ways away and it's going to be nearly 2 years after the launch of the console.

Finally there is the price. For the actual competent package you've got to pay $350. That's a lot of money for a system with all of these problems I've mentioned.

FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FreedomFreeLife

@MonsieurX said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@MonsieurX said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@charizard1605 said:

Get your shit straight.

There is one.

You liar. Look last Nintendo Direct. No rankings

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MonsieurX

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@MonsieurX said:

There is one.

lol

And voila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@MonsieurX said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@MonsieurX said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@charizard1605 said:

Get your shit straight.

There is one.

Now **** right off

(and maybe respond to my post that exposes your ignorance, and admit that you have no fucking clue what you are talking about).

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

Came out way too soon. Ninty could have waited and partied with the big boys a year later but they spoke too soon. This puts them in a cycle that the have to force themselves back into some how and release new hardware with the other two or else they'll keep getting bested on specs.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MonsieurX

@misterpmedia said:

Came out way too soon. Ninty could have waited and partied with the big boys a year later but they spoke too soon. This puts them in a cycle that the have to force themselves back into some how and release new hardware with the other two or else they'll keep getting bested on specs.

Because specs is what matters the most.

*cough* PS2,Wii *cough*

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

@misterpmedia said:

Because specs is what matters the most.

*cough* PS2,Wii *cough*

Yeah true I agree, but it's that mind set that WiiU came out year before the bigger two. Hence why people ponder on the fact to even call it 'next gen' in terms of console generations. Probably didn't help in being able to market the damn thing knowing that two bigger consoles were coming out a year later. Almost as if the WiiU was a filler console between 7 and 8 gen.