why was there so much hate for SPLINTER CELL: DOUBLE AGENT??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bawathegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bawathegamer
Member since 2007 • 1498 Posts

alot of people who seemed to like the series apparently dispised double agent.can some 1 tell me why it was so much worse than the others. i agree it wasnt as good as chaos theory but it was still really good in my opinion

is it because the 360 version was soo bad?? (i played it on the old xbox and thought it was both gorgeous fun to play.)

alot of sc fans keep on saying ubi screwed sc up with double agent! i just dont get it.

any comments.suggestion??

hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts

Well I enjoyed the game just hates Ubisoft for all the bugs that were never patched for the PC version. during the mission in iceland or where every that ship was it would crash your PC unless you turned off the graphics settings or something like that and also Ubisoft has horrible support.

I've got an open ticket with them for a new registration code but it has been open for 3 months with no response from customer service.

Double agent on the 360 was great IMO sold it after 360 broke my game in half and I heard the PS3 version is crap with poor frame rate.

Mainly all the issues are because of the crap service Ubisoft did with it.

St_muscat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 St_muscat
Member since 2007 • 4315 Posts
One word: Ubisoft.
Unreal_393

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Unreal_393
Member since 2007 • 620 Posts

they took out the awesome Co-op missions.

hope they bring it back in conviction

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Its ok.

It had loads of potential though ,and kind of threw it away. The whole 'NSA and Terroist trust' element really was pureley cosmetic in my opinion, it really didnt add much to the game at all.

The multiplayer was the strongest part of the game imo.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
Because it could have been better. I enjoyed the game a lot, but the untapped potential frustrates fans of the series.
vugundam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 vugundam
Member since 2006 • 903 Posts

I played the original, Pandora Tomorrow, Chaos Theory and Double Agent (360) and enjoyed every one but the last.

Overall, I felt that SCDA brought a less thorough Splinter Cell experience than the previous games. Some could argue that this was for the "double agent missions" where you had to sneak around at JBA headquarters. While there was a clear sense of tension, AI ran on too many patterns that were easy to read which made it feel very fake especially when put inot contrast with the amount of detail put into everything else. The levels felt more linear than those in Chaos Theory, and there were less of them in total, taking the value of the game down for SC fans.

The multiplayer was more fast-paced this time around, but this was due to the simplification of the gameplay and made encounters less interesting.

Overall, Ubisoft went out on a limb to bring us the experience and dilemas of a double agent but lost track of its roots in the process, giving us a game that didn't feel like splinter cell and did quite put players into the shoes of a double agent. Lots of ideas, none of which were perfected or even refined for that matter.

Chaos Theory is still my favorite SC game.

hackslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hackslash
Member since 2003 • 2328 Posts
I loved the first 3 Splinter Cells. Double Agent sucked. They tried turning it into something it's not.
SSCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 SSCyborg
Member since 2007 • 7625 Posts

One word: Ubisoft.St_muscat

Two words: Ubisoft Shanghai

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts
It was good, but not up to par with the other entries in the series.
lantus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 lantus
Member since 2006 • 10591 Posts
I loved it, I liked Chaos Theory more, but I still liked it a lot. I especially liked the climax, defusing the bomb was a pain, but besides that, I liked it very much. I think the beef most people had with it was that it was much more action oriented than the stealth gameplay we're all used to.
killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts

My biggest complaint is that they took out online co-op and replaced it with humans vs. bots. Coop was the best part about CT. Also,they're moving away from the shadowy stealth gameplay....which I love. Im skeptic of SC:Conviction...ill just wait and see on it.

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts
It was a step backward compared to Chaos Theory. They recycled the enemy dialogue and animations, which screams "cheap" to me. They replaced the light bar and sound meter with a binary "on-off" stealth system, making the shadow element more shallow and unrealistic. the weapons were simplified, so you no longer had a choice between using a high powered sniper vs a powerful shotgun. instead you got an all-in-one rifle, but that didn't help the strategy at all. the ratio of fun field missions to JBA missions was detrimental to overall value. the JBA missions themselves were boring. seriously, they make you do a repetitive minigame assembling land mines? there was also no quicksave like Chaos Theory. AI that was dissapointing for a next-gen sneaker. it wasn't above Chaos Theory's enemies.
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 Ninja-Vox
Member since 2006 • 16314 Posts

In a nutshell:

The 360 version was easily, easily the best. So you're off there. It was hated because the first level was a pure piece of concentrated awesome. Had every level been of that intense, atmospheric awesomeness, that game will have been a masterpiece. Fact.

Instead, they bowed to the complaints of hack reviewers that the series hadn't changed much in the first three games, and decided to "mix it up" by pulling you out of that awesomeness and having you hang around talking to terrorists all day until they trust you. It wasnt splinter cell. It wasn't why i play splinter cell in the first place. And after the greatness of the first level, it hurt all the more.

And second:

The god-like multiplayer of Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory was scrapped and replaced with a husk of its original self.

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 Ninja-Vox
Member since 2006 • 16314 Posts

Ubi Soft need to give the series back to the geniuses who made Chaos Theory. Its one of ubi's worst qualities; taking successful games and giving them to other studios. It's why Rainbow Six Lockdown was so awful. They gave it to an idiot who thought it needed to be made more arcadey; it just ended up crap.

Then they give it back to the original team and bam, you get an amazing game like Vegas.

Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts

The singleplayer campaign was ok, it was just those repetative timed missions that got to me. Constantly saving all the time an back tracking everywhere, you totally had to scan the hole area in your brain beofore you even tried to do any of the optional missions or you would run out of time and have to start again.

The AI was pretty dumb but you could still some how screw up somehow. Funny how they can hear a footstep but they can't see you 1 cm away from them in some shadow.

They totally butchered the CO-OP mode, I don't know how I managed to get every gold medal for every one, that just fustrated and annoyed me to no end. Jesus I don't even want to think about it. The hole Stealth ninjas vs FPS was totally unbalanced, the ninja won nearly every time but FPS team is basically sitting ducks and you don't know where the hell your going if you on there team, you've just got to basically guess where the ninjas could be hiding or are going to hack next.

pro-nathan-07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pro-nathan-07
Member since 2007 • 1591 Posts
double agent is the only splinter cell i like, really dont like the others
opethpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 opethpwn
Member since 2007 • 583 Posts
It's kind of difficult to say why I hate DA because alot of the time it just wouldn't work; the PC version has to be the buggiest heap of unoptimised sXXt I think I've ever come across. However, I did manage to play the Xbox(original Xbox) version, and I didn't mind it... admittedly, it's somewhat shoddy in comparison to SC1 and Chaos Theory, but it wasn't utterly terrible by any means.
swamprat_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 swamprat_basic
Member since 2002 • 9145 Posts
The problem was that Splinter Cell: DA for Xbox 360 was almost a different games than it was for Xbox. There were both great, but the story and cutscenes were more involving on the Xbox, while the graphics and gameplay were sharper on 360. Each game had missions the other lacked, so some people felt the need to play buy both versions.
xXHackettXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 xXHackettXx
Member since 2006 • 3560 Posts
I liked it alot, but my favorite part was the Coop and they took it away for the 360 version! Other then that it was a good game, just more of the same.