Why Vita games will never be as good as 3DS games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bluemantan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bluemantan
Member since 2011 • 320 Posts

Nintendo takes an AAA game, and gives it an AAA studio.

Sony takes its AAA games, and then gives it some old second-tier studio that never does justice to the original games. This was common with the PSP and is becoming increasingly common with the Vita.

UC: Golden Abyss - SCE BEND instead of Naughty Dog

Resistance: Burning Skies: Nihilistic software instead of Insomiac.

SCE Bend is good, but not as great as Naughty Dog. Of course the games will dissapoint.

Nihilistic flat out sucks, they haven't had a game score above 70 on metacritic, in ten years.

Meanwhile, Nintendo gives their AAA teams a 3DS Dev kit, and in return, we get AAA games.

pc-ps360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 pc-ps360
Member since 2010 • 3462 Posts

sony does not support the vita this is why 3ds is a better system. it usually take sony around 2 1/2 years to support a system they released just like they did in the ps3. the vita early years will be crap.

Avatar image for BlackoutGunshot
BlackoutGunshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BlackoutGunshot
Member since 2011 • 358 Posts
You're kind of right. Sony often makes their handheld offerings clearly a step below their console offerings, really making them feel second tier. Nintendo has games like Pokemon, Mario Kart, and Fire Emblem which are better, or just as good as their console counterparts.
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 danish-death
Member since 2004 • 5314 Posts

Sony takes its AAA games, and then gives it some old second-tier studio that never does justice to the original games. This was common with the PSP and is becoming increasingly common with the Vita.

SCE Bend is good, but not as great as Naughty Dog. Of course the games will dissapoint.

Nihilistic flat out sucks, they haven't had a game score above 70 on metacritic, in ten years.

Meanwhile, Nintendo gives their AAA teams a 3DS Dev kit, and in return, we get AAA games.

bluemantan
Uncharted dissapointed? It's a pretty good game if you ask me - have you even tried it? If anything the Uncharted games have come to a halt and needs to put on a pause. The biggest issue is IMO the lack of any kind of MP. And why don't we wait and see how well Resistance does? The PSP version did afterall do well. I do, however, agree. It's clear that the PS Vita is a second priority to Sony and that's a real shame. Hopefully they'll show some love at E3.
bluemantan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bluemantan
[QUOTE="bluemantan"]

danish-death
Uncharted dissapointed? It's a pretty good game if you ask me - have you even tried it? If anything the Uncharted games have come to a halt and needs to put on a pause. The biggest issue is IMO the lack of any kind of MP. And why don't we wait and see how well Resistance does? The PSP version did afterall do well. I do, however, agree. It's clear that the PS Vita is a second priority to Sony and that's a real shame. Hopefully they'll show some love at E3.

It was good, but up to Naughty Dog's standards? No. The controls were a bit wonky and it lagged it a bit with multiple enemies on screen. Story wasn't amazing either, like all UC stories have been. And Resistance PSP was made by SCE Bend. I am sorry, but the last two games made by Nihilistic software have ranged from 50-55 on metacritic. I do not think we will see AAA here.
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 danish-death
Member since 2004 • 5314 Posts

[QUOTE="danish-death"][QUOTE="bluemantan"]

bluemantan

It was good, but up to Naughty Dog's standards? No. The controls were a bit wonky and it lagged it a bit with multiple enemies on screen. Story wasn't amazing either, like all UC stories have been. And Resistance PSP was made by SCE Bend. I am sorry, but the last two games made by Nihilistic software have ranged from 50-55 on metacritic. I do not think we will see AAA here.

Different opinions I suppose, but I wouldn't write Resistance off yet. While I highly doubt it'll get 9+ here on gamespot, I don't think it's unreasonable that it'll get 8-8.5, which is fine by me, as long as it doesn't get around the 5-6/10 mark. Anyway, as I said I hope we'll be seeing some love for the PS Vita at E3, Sony might just surprise us.

BigBoss255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BigBoss255
Member since 2010 • 3539 Posts
That's actually a good point I was expecting to come in here and read trash. Still I'd prefer top devs to work on consoles, leave handhelds for lesser devs. Wii's line up would be a lot better if Nintendo did the same as Sony.
trollhunter2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 trollhunter2
Member since 2012 • 2054 Posts

04-29-2012

dude you forgot to mention gravity rush and lbp

these are very promising titles coming out in the next months

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

I agree, they keep giving amazing IPs to lower class Studios to make them.

tarzanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tarzanell
Member since 2006 • 1503 Posts
Gravity Rush is about to prove you wrong. And who's responsible for LBP Vita?
starjet905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 starjet905
Member since 2005 • 2078 Posts
Even though I like the Vita, I agree with you. Not that these games are bad, but results would've been much better if Sony gave the games to proper studios like Nintendo does. I mean, Peace Walker was handled the right way on PSP, and look how good it turned out.
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

From what i read Gravity Rush is by far the best handheld game out right now.

CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts

sony does not support the vita this is why 3ds is a better system. it usually take sony around 2 1/2 years to support a system they released just like they did in the ps3. the vita early years will be crap.

pc-ps360

You know you clearly have no clue what you are talking about right?

Counting US releases:

Nintendo has published 11 3DS games to date. (1 year 1 month)

Sony has published 13 Vita games to date. (2 months)

Cleary Sony isn't supporting the Vita :roll:

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#14 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
Nintendo develops a lot of games for their own consoles, while Sony barely does. Clearly this is why the Vita doesn't have a great library yet and the 3DS does. Sony needs to develop for their consoles as well, because who knows their consoles better than them?
LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

[QUOTE="pc-ps360"]

CajunShooter

Counting US releases:

I did

• Nintendogs + Cats: French Bulldog & New Friends
  • Nintendogs + Cats: Golden Retriever & New Friends
  • Nintendogs + Cats: Toy Poodle & New Friends
  • Pilotwings Resort
  • Steel Diver
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  • Star Fox 64 3D
  • Flora and Fauna 3D Field Guide(Japan only)
  • Pokémon Rumble Blast
  • Super Mario 3D Land
  • Tetris: Axis(Published by Nintendo in North America only)
  • Mario Kart 7
    • Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games(Published by Nintendo in Japan only)
    • Kid Icarus: Uprising
    • Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir
  • Nintendo 3DS eShop
      • Freakyforms: Your Creations, Alive!
      • Pushmo
      • Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword
      • Dillon's Rolling Western
      • Ketzal's Corridors

a quick google search an got 13 in NA and 18 in Japan published by Nintendo.

CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CajunShooter

[QUOTE="CajunShooter"]

[QUOTE="pc-ps360"]

LaytonsCat

Counting US releases:

I did

• Nintendogs + Cats: French Bulldog & New Friends
  • Nintendogs + Cats: Golden Retriever & New Friends
  • Nintendogs + Cats: Toy Poodle & New Friends
  • Pilotwings Resort
  • Steel Diver
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  • Star Fox 64 3D
  • Flora and Fauna 3D Field Guide(Japan only)
  • Pokémon Rumble Blast
  • Super Mario 3D Land
  • Tetris: Axis(Published by Nintendo in North America only)
  • Mario Kart 7
    • Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games(Published by Nintendo in Japan only)
    • Kid Icarus: Uprising
    • Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir
  • Nintendo 3DS eShop
      • Freakyforms: Your Creations, Alive!
      • Pushmo
      • Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword
      • Dillon's Rolling Western
      • Ketzal's Corridors

a quick google search an got 13 in NA and 18 in Japan published by Nintendo.

My bad I didn't count each copy of Nintendogs.

This still debunks the original post that Sony isn't supporting the Vita. They are supporting it more than Nintendo has with the 3DS

pc-ps360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 pc-ps360
Member since 2010 • 3462 Posts

[QUOTE="pc-ps360"]

CajunShooter

Counting US releases:

i thought cows are all about quality games. vita has no games. in 2+ years sony will start supporting the system. just like they did the ps3 and the psp. they had no games and no support at all. sony is a failure the last success is the ps2 and now look at them. they lost over 75@ of there fanbase because they have no game and there lack of support for there systems. i dont want games at the end of the gen, i want them consistently just like what nintendo and microsoft does.

CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CajunShooter

i thought cows are all about quality games. vita has no games. in 2+ years sony will start supporting the system. just like they did the ps3 and the psp. they had no games and no support at all. sony is a failure the last success is the ps2 and now look at them. they lost over 75@ of there fanbase because they have no game and there lack of support for there systems. i dont want games at the end of the gen, i want them consistently just like what nintendo and microsoft does.

pc-ps360
How blind are you? 3DS had crappy support for its first 6 months on the market.

I totally agree that PS3 and PSP had hardly any Sony support for its first year or so on the market, but they have made it a priority to launch the Vita with games from most of their most popular franchises.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#19 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

I totally agree that PS3 and PSP had hardly any Sony support for its first year or so on the market, but they have made it a priority to launch the Vita with games from most of their most popular franchises.

CajunShooter

A lot of those games were on other platforms already, that play better and have a lower barrier to entry than the Vita does.

It might have had a lot of big names, but it wasn't the smartest idea for pulling in consumers.

CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CajunShooter

[QUOTE="CajunShooter"]

Haziqonfire

A lot of those games were on other platforms already, that play better and have a lower barrier to entry than the Vita does.

It might have had a lot of big names, but it wasn't the smartest idea for pulling in consumers.

Not sure what you mean by this.

The only games that also appear on the PS3 would be Wipeout, Hustle Kings, Motorstorm RC and MLB: The Show. Every other Sony published game is an entirely new entry in the franchise.

You can also apply what you just said to 3DS games.

p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts

[QUOTE="CajunShooter"]

[QUOTE="pc-ps360"]

pc-ps360

Counting US releases:

You mean vita has no games you like just like people may have disliked 3ds launch games. I've been enoying ninja gaiden and unit 13, but just like 3ds it will take time to get more out. Psp had plenty of support, I played just as many games as I did on home console. Consistency is hard for any system in the beginning especially trying to satisfy so many with so few of games. 3ds took almost a year before it had a 2nd game(ace combat,need for speed) I would have been interested in.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Makes sense.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#23 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

The only games that also appear on the PS3 would be Wipeout, Hustle Kings, Motorstorm RC and MLB: The Show. Every other Sony published game is an entirely new entry in the franchise.

CajunShooter

I'm saying there's a lot of ports or console games on the Vita. If you want console games on the go then you'd be fine with that. I don't see the point, as I can buy most of those games on consoles for a lot cheaper, unless a game makes a good portable version. Wipeout would be an example of that, Street Fighter would also be one.

Yes, this applies to the 3DS too - but it's a lot less reliant on ports to sell it's platform, that was even obvious looking forward into the future line up. It's less obvious with the Vita so far.

p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 p4s2p0

[QUOTE="CajunShooter"]

Haziqonfire

I'm saying there's a lot of ports or console games on the Vita. If you want console games on the go then you'd be fine with that. I don't see the point, as I can buy most of those games on consoles for a lot cheaper, unless a game makes a good portable version. Wipeout would be an example of that, Street Fighter would also be one.

Yes, this applies to the 3DS too - but it's a lot less reliant on ports to sell it's platform, that was even obvious looking forward into the future line up. It's less obvious with the Vita so far.

Mario is usually top seller so it relies just as much on ports. But I don't consider that a bad thing as I wouldn't want to miss out on god of war,resistance,socom,need for speed,splinter cell, and many more series I like from home console. How much people rely on them will depend on their interest and what's available.. Once I get resistance on vita I will only have 1 port out of 3. Where on 3ds I would have 2/4 ports.
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 p4s2p0
Long as they do a good job I don't really care who made it. Psp had plenty of good games made by different devs, socom, resistance are good examples. I think sony wanted devs with portable experience which the original devs might not have had.
ZombeGoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ZombeGoast
Member since 2010 • 437 Posts

From what i read Gravity Rush is by far the best handheld game out right now.

crimsonman1245

Only game on the Vita that looks good since its from the director of Silen Hill.

CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CajunShooter

Haziqonfire

Like I mentioned before though, the original poster I quoted said "Sony does not support the Vita like Nintendo supports the 3DS" I countered with the fact that they have released already as many games that Nintendo has and they have done that in just 2 month of release while the 3DS has been out for a year.

Yes, 4 or so of those 13 Sony Published games are ports, while the rest of the Sony published games are new entries into the franchises or new IPs. The 3DS also has ports too such as Ocarina 64 and Starfox 64.

This was never about 3rd party which a lot of the launch 3rd party games were ports. It was the same for the 3DS.

My point was never that the Vita's lineup is amazing. It was that I don't understand how people can praise the 3DS for Nintendo's support of it and then say Sony doesn't support the Vita when it is quite the opposite. So far at this point in the Vita's life it has been supported better than Nintendo did with the 3DS. Sony is supporting the Vita better than Nintendo is currently.

Sony made a real effort to support the Vita in the first year unlike they did with the PSP and the PS3 and the games they have ready during its first year and are publishing is proof of that.

wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 wakefulness
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts

Gravity Rush is about to prove you wrong. And who's responsible for LBP Vita?tarzanell

Yeah, not to mention Keji Inafune is working with SCEJ to make another VITA exclusive game.

In the west, the case has always been to have AAA SCEWWS work on console and have the "other" studios best fit another need on handhelds. SCE Bend seem to be getting a bad rep too. Bend did great with UCGA and at the end of the day it is results that matter.

Eventually, (if not already in the plans) someone from SCE's bigger studios like Media Molecule, Santa Monica, etc will do something for the VITA. I get the feeling that the projects AAA SCEWWS on VITA would be more along the lines of a Wii U-type project where the PS3 is being used in conjunction with VITA.

Edit: Last time I checked, a new SCE studio was working on LBP for VITA. It was founded by Ex-Rockstar members and is located in England.

wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 wakefulness

Long as they do a good job I don't really care who made it. Psp had plenty of good games made by different devs, socom, resistance are good examples. I think sony wanted devs with portable experience which the original devs might not have had.p4s2p0

Yo! I gotcha on my VITA friends list.

Fancy seeing you here.

wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 wakefulness

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]I'm saying there's a lot of ports or console games on the Vita. If you want console games on the go then you'd be fine with that. I don't see the point, as I can buy most of those games on consoles for a lot cheaper, unless a game makes a good portable version. Wipeout would be an example of that, Street Fighter would also be one.

CajunShooter

Like I mentioned before though, the original poster I quoted said "Sony does not support the Vita like Nintendo supports the 3DS" I countered with the fact that they have released already as many games that Nintendo has and they have done that in just 2 month of release while the 3DS has been out for a year.

Yes, 4 or so of those 13 Sony Published games are ports, while the rest of the Sony published games are new entries into the franchises or new IPs. The 3DS also has ports too such as Ocarina 64 and Starfox 64.

This was never about 3rd party which a lot of the launch 3rd party games were ports. It was the same for the 3DS.

My point was never that the Vita's lineup is amazing. It was that I don't understand how people can praise the 3DS for Nintendo's support of it and then say Sony doesn't support the Vita when it is quite the opposite. So far at this point in the Vita's life it has been supported better than Nintendo did with the 3DS. Sony is supporting the Vita better than Nintendo is currently.

Sony made a real effort to support the Vita in the first year unlike they did with the PSP and the PS3 and the games they have ready during its first year and are publishing is proof of that.

I would like to add to the point. There are "ports" on VITA that have cloud transferring technology and people are just acting like that is nothing when the online infrastucre net code alone for connecting the two experiences is huge feat.

Also, I wish I could play devils advocate and speak in favor of ports like those that say, "Why buy MK on VITA when I could buy it used on console for cheaper." Unfortunetly, I do not own a console to know about that kind of saving but I know well enough that I can have a hell of a time playing MK on the VITA so . . .

p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 p4s2p0

[QUOTE="p4s2p0"]Long as they do a good job I don't really care who made it. Psp had plenty of good games made by different devs, socom, resistance are good examples. I think sony wanted devs with portable experience which the original devs might not have had.wakefulness

Fancy seeing you here.

Hell ya wonder what the friends list limit is. I have 50 or so on it now.
bluemantan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bluemantan

This was not about sony not making games. Sony makes games. The problem is, they use their B-list devs instead of their A-list devs like nintendo does.

wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 wakefulness

[QUOTE="wakefulness"]

[QUOTE="p4s2p0"]Long as they do a good job I don't really care who made it. Psp had plenty of good games made by different devs, socom, resistance are good examples. I think sony wanted devs with portable experience which the original devs might not have had.p4s2p0

Fancy seeing you here.

Hell ya wonder what the friends list limit is. I have 50 or so on it now.

100, I think. I do not respond on that account too often but I do check it one in a wihle on the weekends.

:)