Why the wii can't win the console war.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ryand2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ryand2006
Member since 2006 • 376 Posts
First, let me start out by saying, this is not flamebait, and that i own both a wii and a X360, i will post pics if you guys really want me to.

The wii is not part of the console war.

I know that most of you are now thinking "OMG fakeboy!!!111shift1", but hear me out.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 are both competing for the same audience, traditional gamers, people who grew up playing games, and actually understand how to move a character in three dimensions using two analog sticks. These consoles are both technologically advanced, and meet the needs of those who fear/don't care about change.

The wii is going for those who are disenfranchised and confused by gaming. This is probably common knowledge, but i feel it needs reiterating.

All the arguements on this forum should center around PS3 vs 360, Not Wii vs. 360, or Wii vs. PS3.
Arguing that Wii will be driven out of business by either of the two other consoles is idiocy, it's like saying that credit cards (complex and expensive,) will take the place of cash (simple and easy). Both the Wii and the two others have their place, and there is no way that the wii is even in the same category as the other two consoles.

So, even though it's probable that no one will listen to me, it would be best if we just dropped the wii vs whatever and focused on the consoles which are truly competing.

That's it, discuss. *Puts up flame shield*
Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#2 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
well the wii attracts softcores and casuals and non-gamers. and lemme give you another thing to think about: there are more people that fall in the softcore/casual/nongamer section than in hardcore gamers, and even some hardcore gamers like the wii, so if nintendo plays their cards right this could be even better than the ds in japan.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23047 Posts
Are you implying that the Wii can't win the console war because it isn't a console?
ryand2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ryand2006
No, it's just in a different category. It's like saying those little crappy joystick arcade games will be beaten by the next gen consoles (not that i'm saying the wii is anything like those, it's just too different to compare)
NRGCDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NRGCDS
Member since 2005 • 1470 Posts
Are you implying that the Wii can't win the console war because it isn't a console?mattbbpl
He ment that the wii is going on a different market that the x360 and PS3 is not on the market that Nintendo is with the wii.
RahnAetas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RahnAetas
Member since 2003 • 1834 Posts
The only real threat is if the Wii starts becoming a "hardcore" console as well.  Which is within the realm of possiblity depending on how developers care to run with the Wiimote.
OceanLeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 OceanLeet
Member since 2007 • 938 Posts
Alot of PS/Xbox fans are worried because they think if the Wii wins the casual crowd, there won't be enough hardcore gamers to support either or both of the systems, causing atleast one of the two consoles to fall.
Svarthek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Svarthek
Member since 2005 • 1431 Posts
So... There are 3 armies fighting a war. 2 of them have fanatical devotees fighting for them, and the last has army is comprized of a much larger army made up of commoners. "Oops sorry that last one doesn't count." ...be quiet.
rued2k6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rued2k6
Member since 2006 • 979 Posts
well the wii attracts softcores and casuals and non-gamers. and lemme give you another thing to think about: there are more people that fall in the softcore/casual/nongamer section than in hardcore gamers, and even some hardcore gamers like the wii, so if nintendo plays their cards right this could be even better than the ds in japan.paullywog
no it dont, it mainly attracts fanboys and kids. casual gamers love graphics, which is one of the wiis weak points. the wii will not hold up for 3 years at the max. maybe 2
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mattbbpl
[QUOTE="mattbbpl"]Are you implying that the Wii can't win the console war because it isn't a console?NRGCDS
He ment that the wii is going on a different market that the x360 and PS3 is not on the market that Nintendo is with the wii.

I had a friend once try to convince me that McDonald's and Subway weren't in competition. Of course, Subway and McDonald's are direct competitors because, although thier food styles differ, they cater to the same demographic: hungry customers. This seems pretty similar. The Wii's games are less graphically oriented than the 360's or PS3's games and more gameplay oriented, but they still compete after the same customers: people who want to play games. Nintendo does have an added benefit of attracting more people to gaming, but this isn't really a new market: they're merely expanding the gamin market.
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts
Are you implying that the Wii can't win the console war because it isn't a console?mattbbpl
He is mereley saying that the Wii is using a different approach and is not in the same market as MS and Sony, just as Nintendo has been saying themselves. He was in no way bashing the Wii so calm down people.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mattbbpl
[QUOTE="paullywog"]well the wii attracts softcores and casuals and non-gamers. and lemme give you another thing to think about: there are more people that fall in the softcore/casual/nongamer section than in hardcore gamers, and even some hardcore gamers like the wii, so if nintendo plays their cards right this could be even better than the ds in japan.rued2k6
no it dont, it mainly attracts fanboys and kids. casual gamers love graphics, which is one of the wiis weak points. the wii will not hold up for 3 years at the max. maybe 2

Yep, the PS2 sure proved that.
Random__Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Random__Guy
Member since 2007 • 1047 Posts
I agree that the wi targets different people than 360 / ps3
And they probably have a larger audiance
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mattbbpl
[QUOTE="mattbbpl"]Are you implying that the Wii can't win the console war because it isn't a console?nintendofreak_2
He is mereley saying that the Wii is using a different approach and is not in the same market as MS and Sony, just as Nintendo has been saying themselves. He was in no way bashing the Wii so calm down people.

Oh, I wasn't and am still not upset. I just wanted clarification since his title was directly addressed in the body.
ryand2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ryand2006
The only real threat is if the Wii starts becoming a "hardcore" console as well. Which is within the realm of possiblity depending on how developers care to run with the Wiimote.RahnAetas
The wii will never be a hardcore console. It's good in it's own right, with the fun factor and the wiimote potential. But the best it could hope for is to accompany to a high powered console, like with me and many other Xbox360 and PS3 consoles. It's just not enough power for hardcore gamers.
science_monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 science_monkey
Member since 2003 • 2459 Posts

Arguing that Wii will be driven out of business by either of the two other consoles is idiocy

The fact is 3rd party developers are now rushing  to support the Wii. Resources spent developing Wii games means resources taken out of PS3/360 games, which hurts sales for the consoles.

If you were a video game developer, who do you target: 5% "hardcore" market or 95% casual market. The Wii just has too much potential to make money for the traditional developers (Valve, Rockstar, etc) to ignore it.

*numbers pulled out of nowhere
Ollivander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Ollivander
Member since 2005 • 1975 Posts
Well, I've been gaming since NES and I've owned countless systems and games. Now I love the Wii, I'm not disenfranchised or can't control a game using a standard controller. So I think you're argument is a bit flawed. Hardocres love the Wii too face it.
ryand2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ryand2006
[QUOTE="NRGCDS"][QUOTE="mattbbpl"]Are you implying that the Wii can't win the console war because it isn't a console?mattbbpl

I had a friend once try to convince me that McDonald's and Subway weren't in competition. Of course, Subway and McDonald's are direct competitors because, although thier food styles differ, they cater to the same demographic: hungry customers. This seems pretty similar. The Wii's games are less graphically oriented than the 360's or PS3's games and more gameplay oriented, but they still compete after the same customers: people who want to play games. Nintendo does have an added benefit of attracting more people to gaming, but this isn't really a new market: they're merely expanding the gamin market.

But in expanding the current market they are using a group of consumers which would not be attracted to games otherwise, using your food analogy, like a vegeterian resturant. The veggie resturant will get some curious Mcdonalds customers, but for the most part, it's an audience that would not otherwise be eating at a meat dealing competitior.
rued2k6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rued2k6
Member since 2006 • 979 Posts
[QUOTE="rued2k6"][QUOTE="paullywog"]well the wii attracts softcores and casuals and non-gamers. and lemme give you another thing to think about: there are more people that fall in the softcore/casual/nongamer section than in hardcore gamers, and even some hardcore gamers like the wii, so if nintendo plays their cards right this could be even better than the ds in japan.mattbbpl

Yep, the PS2 sure proved that.

actually the ps2 had one thing that can win over casuals and hardcore gamers. games, different games. that were not targeted at one audience.
ryand2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ryand2006
Well, I've been gaming since NES and I've owned countless systems and games. Now I love the Wii, I'm not disenfranchised or can't control a game using a standard controller. So I think you're argument is a bit flawed. Hardocres love the Wii too face it.Ollivander
it's not that hardcores won't love it, it's just that most hardcores won't be content with just the wii, so the other consoles won't be driven out of business by a console which does not completely control the market of hardcore gamers.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mattbbpl
[QUOTE="ryand2006"] But in expanding the current market they are using a group of consumers which would not be attracted to games otherwise, using your food analogy, like a vegeterian resturant. The veggie resturant will get some curious Mcdonalds customers, but for the most part, it's an audience that would not otherwise be eating at a meat dealing competitior.

Well, I agree that a veggie restaurant would target a different demographic, but I don't see the Wii as being that different of a product (such as burger joint vs. Veggie-only joint). I think that the Wii could very well steal a large number of potential 360 or PS3 purchasers away just as the 360 or PS3 could potentially steal a significant number of potential Wii customers away.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
personally i think ur wrong. i understand what u mean, but just because the wii is a whole different style of gaming from the other 2 doesnt mean its not a console. ur talking about people who grew up on gaming well what games did they grow up on. mario, zelda, metroid. so the wii is definantly getting hardcore gamers also. with games like smash bros, mario, metroid, zelda, resident evil, sadness, no more heroes, disaster, project hammer, etc. if u need the games to be graphically powerfull to enjoy them then thats a bit shallow. i mean wii games will be stronger than last gen considering the wii is capable of that but never PS3 or 360. that doesnt mean the wii isnt a console. i mean just because the DS isnt as strong as the PSP doesnt mean the ds isnt a real handheld or the psp is something different. the wii is part of this console war. why because if the wii gets a real big jump on the market lead then alot of developers will jump onto the wii and make more games for the wii than the other 2.
ryand2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ryand2006
[QUOTE="Svarthek"]So... There are 3 armies fighting a war. 2 of them have fanatical devotees fighting for them, and the last has army is comprized of a much larger army made up of commoners.

It's more like most of the commoners are also regularly drilled for militia duty, since the hardcores will still buy almost as many, if not more games than the hardcores, since they are less picky and more suceptible to flashy ads.
ryand2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ryand2006
personally i think ur wrong. i understand what u mean, but just because the wii is a whole different style of gaming from the other 2 doesnt mean its not a console. ur talking about people who grew up on gaming well what games did they grow up on. mario, zelda, metroid. so the wii is definantly getting hardcore gamers also. with games like smash bros, mario, metroid, zelda, resident evil, sadness, no more heroes, disaster, project hammer, etc. if u need the games to be graphically powerfull to enjoy them then thats a bit shallow. i mean wii games will be stronger than last gen considering the wii is capable of that but never PS3 or 360. that doesnt mean the wii isnt a console. i mean just because the DS isnt as strong as the PSP doesnt mean the ds isnt a real handheld or the psp is something different. the wii is part of this console war. why because if the wii gets a real big jump on the market lead then alot of developers will jump onto the wii and make more games for the wii than the other 2.jg4xchamp
I didn't mean the wii isn't a console, it's just not directly competing with the other two consoles. You kinda missed the point of my thing.
ryand2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ryand2006
[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="ryand2006"] But in expanding the current market they are using a group of consumers which would not be attracted to games otherwise, using your food analogy, like a vegeterian resturant. The veggie resturant will get some curious Mcdonalds customers, but for the most part, it's an audience that would not otherwise be eating at a meat dealing competitior.

Well, I agree that a veggie restaurant would target a different demographic, but I don't see the Wii as being that different of a product (such as burger joint vs. Veggie-only joint). I think that the Wii could very well steal a large number of potential 360 or PS3 purchasers away just as the 360 or PS3 could potentially steal a significant number of potential Wii customers away.

Well then use the Whole foods vs. mcdonalds thing, it's the same idea but not as different. Mcdonalds people will probably be happy to eat at Whole foods, but whole foods only people will probably be too health concious to eat at Mcdonalds. My apologies if you have no idea what whole foods is.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mattbbpl
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]personally i think ur wrong. i understand what u mean, but just because the wii is a whole different style of gaming from the other 2 doesnt mean its not a console. ur talking about people who grew up on gaming well what games did they grow up on. mario, zelda, metroid. so the wii is definantly getting hardcore gamers also. with games like smash bros, mario, metroid, zelda, resident evil, sadness, no more heroes, disaster, project hammer, etc. if u need the games to be graphically powerfull to enjoy them then thats a bit shallow. i mean wii games will be stronger than last gen considering the wii is capable of that but never PS3 or 360. that doesnt mean the wii isnt a console. i mean just because the DS isnt as strong as the PSP doesnt mean the ds isnt a real handheld or the psp is something different. the wii is part of this console war. why because if the wii gets a real big jump on the market lead then alot of developers will jump onto the wii and make more games for the wii than the other 2.ryand2006
I didn't mean the wii isn't a console, it's just not directly competing with the other two consoles. You kinda missed the point of my thing.

I think you're wrong on that level though. 100 million hardcore gamers didn't purchase the PS2. The Wii/360 will likely steal a large portion of those customers away.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]personally i think ur wrong. i understand what u mean, but just because the wii is a whole different style of gaming from the other 2 doesnt mean its not a console. ur talking about people who grew up on gaming well what games did they grow up on. mario, zelda, metroid. so the wii is definantly getting hardcore gamers also. with games like smash bros, mario, metroid, zelda, resident evil, sadness, no more heroes, disaster, project hammer, etc. if u need the games to be graphically powerfull to enjoy them then thats a bit shallow. i mean wii games will be stronger than last gen considering the wii is capable of that but never PS3 or 360. that doesnt mean the wii isnt a console. i mean just because the DS isnt as strong as the PSP doesnt mean the ds isnt a real handheld or the psp is something different. the wii is part of this console war. why because if the wii gets a real big jump on the market lead then alot of developers will jump onto the wii and make more games for the wii than the other 2.ryand2006

it is directly competing .its in the same market, its just expanding its own audience versus the other 2. the wii can be just as successful with hardcore gamers, as it is with casuals, and non gamers. it may be a different type of hardware but it is competition to the PS3 and 360. wether you believe it or not it is. sorry man ur just gonna have to accept it. part of being competitive in business is to make sure your target audience isnt limited. thats what the wii is, it can bring in non gamers with the casuals and hardcore guys.
Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts
First, let me start out by saying, this is not flamebait, and that i own both a wii and a X360, i will post pics if you guys really want me to.

I know that most of you are now thinking "OMG fakeboy!!!111shift1", but hear me out.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 are both competing for the same audience, traditional gamers, people who grew up playing games, and actually understand how to move a character in three dimensions using two analog sticks. These consoles are both technologically advanced, and meet the needs of those who fear/don't care about change.

The wii is going for those who are disenfranchised and confused by gaming. This is probably common knowledge, but i feel it needs reiterating.

All the arguements on this forum should center around PS3 vs 360, Not Wii vs. 360, or Wii vs. PS3.
Arguing that Wii will be driven out of business by either of the two other consoles is idiocy, it's like saying that credit cards (complex and expensive,) will take the place of cash (simple and easy). Both the Wii and the two others have their place, and there is no way that the wii is even in the same category as the other two consoles.

So, even though it's probable that no one will listen to me, it would be best if we just dropped the wii vs whatever and focused on the consoles which are truly competing.

ryand2006
If it sells the most: It wins. This is like saying the PS2 didn't win last generation because it was so godly it couldn't be compared to the other two.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mattbbpl
Well then use the Whole foods vs. mcdonalds thing, it's the same idea but not as different. Mcdonalds people will probably be happy to eat at Whole foods, but whole foods only people will probably be too health concious to eat at Mcdonalds. My apologies if you have no idea what whole foods is.ryand2006
I'm not familiar with Whole Foods, but I surmise that they specialize in health foods, and that's likely enough. I'd like you to take a different outlook, however. I, as well as many other people, regularly eat food from McDonald's and Subway. The majority of each establishment's customers eat at the other establishment as well. These two restaurants are fighting over my business and others like me. When I eat at Subway, McDonald's loses a potential sale and Vice-Versa.
UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts
Fakeboy.
MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts

ryand2006

Dude I own all 3 also and I agree with you 100%.  I mean even NINTENDO THEMSELVES said that the Wii will not be directly competing with the PS3 and 360.  I mean the Wii doesn't hold up to the two (PS3/360) in any category whatsoever.  It just a totally different thing than the "traditional" consoles
psyko7144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 psyko7144
Member since 2005 • 632 Posts
By the end of the year, if they keep up with their current pace, they will be leading the console war. They already own the handheald market so it is up for debate whether or not they already do own the market.
psyko7144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 psyko7144
Member since 2005 • 632 Posts
Also I don't even think you guys know what a hardcore gamer is.
youngtongue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 youngtongue
Member since 2006 • 990 Posts
You forget there are traditional gamers that also want the wii. Have you heard of this thing called wii60? yeah that includes the wii with it.
Avatar image for deactivated-600fd0017f1ba
deactivated-600fd0017f1ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 deactivated-600fd0017f1ba
Member since 2005 • 808 Posts
I think the "war" is all dependent on games, PS2 had the worst graphics of all three systems last gen and it crushed the competition, why?  It had the games and exclusives that most gamers wanted, but with 360 closing the gap with PS3 on exclusives, I think it gives the Wii a fighting chance.
DilutedDante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DilutedDante
Member since 2004 • 1633 Posts
It's an interesting point, but at the end of the day, if the Wii ships more hardware, and shifts more software, it will be difficult to claim that it wasn't the leader. If the Wii comes out on top, you can be sure that will influence the direction Sony and Microsoft take next time round.
HappySunnGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 HappySunnGuy
Member since 2006 • 1265 Posts
good post ut you never explained why wii cant win. so what if its in a different category. its still part of the war, and should not be turned cold shoulder. the wii is a consol, and because of that, has a part in this consol war. it is indeed in a different category, but that doesnt make it any less a consol in this war.
kingyoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 kingyoto
Member since 2006 • 1190 Posts

ryand2006
I bet you'll have sheep saying wii is more of a gaming console than the other two cuz it only plays games and the other do more than that but whatever.
kingyoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 kingyoto
Member since 2006 • 1190 Posts
I think the "war" is all dependent on games, PS2 had the worst graphics of all three systems last gen and it crushed the competition, why? It had the games and exclusives that most gamers wanted, but with 360 closing the gap with PS3 on exclusives, I think it gives the Wii a fighting chance.acekicka
the difference between ps2 and gamecube/xbox graphics is not nearly as great as that between wii and ps3/360.