commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

When the next gen consoles were announced they looked like they could be 600$ but of course companies compete and we get more reasonable pricing but sony is a bit of a special case here.

First you get nvidia with their agressive pricing on their new gpu's and this might look odd to some but we've seen this before , the 8800 gtx was a monster of a card back in 2006 and it just obliterated every other gpu

It wasn't a coincidence this was during the launch years of the xbox 360 and the ps3, when ms and sony released such powerfull systems it even pushed nintendo towards new (and old) markets in gaming. Even the lower more affordable versions of the nvidia 8 series (like the 8800 gt) were considerably stronger than consoles.

But don't forget, both sony and ms made major losses that gen because of the major investments they had to make. Ms was more successfull with the xbox 360 in the beginning and kept sony in a chokehold for quite some time but they started getting cocky and invested less in games. That gave sony room to breathe and the exclusives that made use of the raw power in the ps3 gave sony more traction.

At that point ms had also become a megalomaniac, resulting in the horrible launch of xboxone, and resulting in the massive succes of the ps4.

This resulted in ms now being very aggressive, with a service like gamepass, and a cheap series x. Because let's face it 500$ is cheap, and the series s is very cheap.

But sony doesn't have to play this game, the ps4 could be as successfull as the ps2, why on earth would they have to undercut ms. They have the games and the userbase, and it's even better than the ps2 era because people are invested in a social platform as well. You still even have the ps4 pro.

Why do you think they wait this long with pricing, sony was never planning to release this console cheap, they got lucky with the ps4 because of sudden gddr5 price drop, and because the xbox division lost their minds.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44025 Posts

It may not be cheap but it certainly is big fat and fugly. lololol :P

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

tldr OP thinks that it won't be cheap because they are taking their time with pricing/ people are too invested in the ecosystem.

Unless they release the price no one knows. People need to stop guessing and have patience.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By commander

@npiet1 said:

tldr OP thinks that it won't be cheap because they are taking their time with pricing/ people are too invested in the ecosystem.

Unless they release the price no one knows. People need to stop guessing and have patience.

not only that, the hardware is just that expensive to make as well. It's not because nvidia and ms are suddenly so aggressive that the manufacturing cost changed,

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69360 Posts

It wouldn't be cheap but it also wouldn't be expensive. I don't see Sony overpricing or underpricing the PS5. They are not going to overprice themselves out the market and they not going to underprice their system to compete with Xbox because there is absolutely no need for them to do that. They can release the PS5 Digital for $500 and the disc $550 and they would not be phased by the Xbox pricing. I anticipate $450 and $500 for the PS5 Digital and PS5 Disc respectively.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

If Sony prices PS5 at $599 it would be a huge mistake that would cost them a ton of market share. They're not that stupid.

It pretty much has to be $499.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

I'm sticking with my original prediction of $399 Disc and $349 discless. Sure I thought the Series X would be $599 but I stick to my guns!

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

I don't think they are going to price there console over series x. I think they waited to see how much crazy aggressive MS is willing to lose. Sony probably does not want to sell in a lost if they can help it but they have to now even if a little bit. I think series X cost a bit more to make then ps5. Sony knows the competition this time will be stronger. MS is a pesky competitor who is not there to necessary win the console hardware. They want to take a bigger bite out of 3rd party software share this time around. Sony want to keep as much as they can knowing its inevitable they are going to see a stronger competition. This is where there business is. That big software pie is what they are competing for. They don't want to take any risk with pricing. Its not just about winning but sell as many more consoles as they can. Selling 5 more consoles and splitting software share 50 50 is not winning.

With series s pricing, I would not be surprised if they go to 399 ps5 digital. That magic number will be a winner but its tough this time around. 450 - 500 is more likely.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

They have not forgotten the ps3 release. No way they overprice it

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pedro

@Zero_epyon said:

I'm sticking with my original prediction of $399 Disc and $349 discless. Sure I thought the Series X would be $599 but I stick to my guns!

Holding your quote. 😎

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

$399 seems the floor to me. But I would be baffled if they offered it for an amount north of $500.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

@Pedro said:
@Zero_epyon said:

Holding your quote. 😎

By all means! I don't mind being wrong lol.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts

There’s no way that Sony is going to charge more for the PS5 then the Xbox Series X. I also can’t see them charging less either. I’m 99.9% sure that it will be $499.

As for the PS5 Digital I think that they’re going to have to be as aggressive as possible and go as low as $399 because $449 just doesn’t seem like a worthwhile saving on the consumer end especially looking at the price of the Xbox Series S.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

There’s no way that Sony is going to charge more for the PS5 then the Xbox Series X. I also can’t see them charging less either. I’m 99.9% sure that it will be $499.

As for the PS5 Digital I think that they’re going to have to be as aggressive as possible and go as low as $399 because $449 just doesn’t seem like a worthwhile saving on the consumer end especially looking at the price of the Xbox Series S.

Yeah but the XB1 was $500 and a lot weaker than the PS4 which was $400

Sony can do anything they want looking at how microsoft operated last gen being less powerful and more expensive doesn't matter to companies like microsoft.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Archangel3371

@ProtossRushX: Well that didn’t exactly do any favours for the Xbox One now did it.

I thought you’ve said that Xbox One being weaker and more expensive then the PS4 was a huge detriment to the system selling well. Not sure what you’re trying to say here. Are you saying that you think the PS5 will cost more then the Xbox Series X?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46188 Posts

499 for the AD version

549 for the Disc version

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@Archangel3371 said:

@ProtossRushX: Well that didn’t exactly do any favours for the Xbox One now did it.

I thought you’ve said that Xbox One being weaker and more expensive then the PS4 was a huge detriment to the system selling well. Not sure what you’re trying to say here. Are you saying that you think the PS5 will cost more then the Xbox Series X?

I'm saying people like you don't care about price for performance you're a brand guy. You ditched PS4 for XB1 despite 100 dollars price difference and it being less powerful.

Branding is all the matters to some people. For me I do like performance based on price so id prefer it be cheaper but some will pay 100 dollar more for playstation regardless of the power.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Archangel3371

@ProtossRushX: Well I don’t think that Sony could afford to go that route again. It definitely didn’t do them any favours with the PS3 and they were coming off from the white hot PS2.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I'm sticking with the optical drive model being $500 and the all digital being $400.

Systems generally have had a history of price matching each other regardless if one is slightly more powerful.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

If that happen it would be a total meltdown of lemming crying to the heavens for MS to match sony price.

I would be a total forum meltdown fallow by the creations of 200 new alts account to hide in,even Pedro would run for the exit.😂

The impression i get is that sony was aiming for a $400 manufacturing price but they spill a little over it,the impression i get from MS is that they wanted to have the most powerful console no matter what,but it is just for bragging reasons,which is quite apparent when you see they had a totally weak model that sell for $200 less and that was keep secret and was basically confirm more than 1 year after the original series X was, they are dooming their own stronger platform to fail.

They know the Series S will eat up the series X sales,so basically they did a series X for bragging rights,oh we have the most powerful consoles but at $200 more only a few will go for it.

On the price side i just can't see how the PS5 can be $500,i could be totally wrong,but i just can't see it.

The Pro was $400 the xbox one X $500,and the only difference was 4CU more on the xbox side,faster ram and 4GB more of ram,and wide bus,that was it they even had the same jaguar and same mechanical 1TB HDD and still that was enough for a $100 dollar price gap.

Now the gap in CU is even bigger 16CU,faster ram chip as well,wider bus and unlike last time an actual bigger NVME that has more nand flash,which is blame as one of the culprits for the price increase in consoles this gen.

@Pedro said:
@Zero_epyon said:

Holding your quote. 😎

Don't worry i am holding your $500 and $450 one as well so i guess we are all cover.

One thing instead of damage controlling who ever is wrong state it please.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

It may not be cheap but it certainly is big fat and fugly. lololol :P

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:

499 for the AD version

549 for the Disc version

The PS5 was reported to cost 450 to make eearlier this summer. Sonys never sold a console at a profit. No one is going to relegate themselves to the PS store only this whole gen to save 50 bucks. You guys need to learn what value means.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Pedro

@tormentos said:

Don't worry i am holding your $500 and $450 one as well so i guess we are all cover.

I think you take this shit too seriously.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46188 Posts

@Sagemode87: Those are my guesses. I'm no more wrong or right than anyone else is until we learn the real price of the consoles.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@Sagemode87 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

499 for the AD version

549 for the Disc version

The PS5 was reported to cost 450 to make eearlier this summer. Sonys never sold a console at a profit. No one is going to relegate themselves to the PS store only this whole gen to save 50 bucks. You guys need to learn what value means.

Why not? The PS store is easier than going to a store and buying physical, and it's faster than ordering from Amazon. You need to learn what logistics means as well.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By commander

@tormentos said:
@Zero_epyon said:

If that happen it would be a total meltdown of lemming crying to the heavens for MS to match sony price.

I would be a total forum meltdown fallow by the creations of 200 new alts account to hide in,even Pedro would run for the exit.😂

The impression i get is that sony was aiming for a $400 manufacturing price but they spill a little over it,the impression i get from MS is that they wanted to have the most powerful console no matter what,but it is just for bragging reasons,which is quite apparent when you see they had a totally weak model that sell for $200 less and that was keep secret and was basically confirm more than 1 year after the original series X was, they are dooming their own stronger platform to fail.

They know the Series S will eat up the series X sales,so basically they did a series X for bragging rights,oh we have the most powerful consoles but at $200 more only a few will go for it.

On the price side i just can't see how the PS5 can be $500,i could be totally wrong,but i just can't see it.

The Pro was $400 the xbox one X $500,and the only difference was 4CU more on the xbox side,faster ram and 4GB more of ram,and wide bus,that was it they even had the same jaguar and same mechanical 1TB HDD and still that was enough for a $100 dollar price gap.

Now the gap in CU is even bigger 16CU,faster ram chip as well,wider bus and unlike last time an actual bigger NVME that has more nand flash,which is blame as one of the culprits for the price increase in consoles this gen.

@Pedro said:

Holding your quote. 😎

the xboxone x had support for all games, microsoft made sure all games had an xboxone x version as well.

The ps4 pro doesn't have that kinda of support for older games and it is a lot weaker.

You talk about 4 cu but the fact is that the xboxone x like 50 percent stronger.

All current gen consoles have been boxing above their weight, I mean the ps4 graphics power is from 2012, and that was a mid range card, the xboxone even worse.

That is not the case with these consoles. This kind of power on big navi is top tier performance from a few years ago. The ps5 will match a gtx 2080 ti at least

Not to mention you have games that are optimized for strong cpu's, faster memory and ssd as well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@fedor said:
@Sagemode87 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

499 for the AD version

549 for the Disc version

Why not? The PS store is easier than going to a store and buying physical, and it's faster than ordering from Amazon. You need to learn what logistics means as well.

It took me 20 hours to download Dragonage inquisition on XB1 and im using Comcast Broadband that is not faster than going to the store and picking it up and installing the disc on XB1.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Fedor

@ProtossRushX said:
@fedor said:
@Sagemode87 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

499 for the AD version

549 for the Disc version

It took me 20 hours to download Dragonage inquisition on XB1 and im using Comcast Broadband that is not faster than going to the store and picking it up and installing the disc on XB1.

That's completely irrelevant to next gen.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By commander

@ProtossRushX said:
@Archangel3371 said:

Yeah but the XB1 was $500 and a lot weaker than the PS4 which was $400

Sony can do anything they want looking at how microsoft operated last gen being less powerful and more expensive doesn't matter to companies like microsoft.

Sony has enormous traction now, not to mention there are not many next gen games, people have ps4 pro's with a 1080p, even a ps4 is still quite ok for 1080p right now, that's not the case with the xboxone, it has been suffering from low res textures fro quite some time now.

So let's say you want to make the jump to higher resolution. It's not like the ps4 pro is discontinued. You can even still buy the ps4 if you want.

Sony can ask 550$ for the ps5 and 500 for the discless version and it will still sell. Heck they might even ask 550$ for the discless version to keep ps4 pro and ps4 sales high.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@fedor said:
@ProtossRushX said:
@fedor said:
@Sagemode87 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

499 for the AD version

549 for the Disc version

How so? My internet is just as fast as it was then and games are getting bigger. Why would PS5/X-Series X downloads be any faster then XB1/PS4? Steam/Xbox/Playstation all throttle my bandwidth and don't let me reach my potential its way faster to install discs next gen isn't gonna fix this problem.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Fedor

@ProtossRushX said:
@fedor said:
@ProtossRushX said:
@fedor said:
@Sagemode87 said:

How so? My internet is just as fast as it was then and games are getting bigger. Why would PS5/X-Series X downloads be any faster then XB1/PS4?

It's almost like there is information already out that explains this to you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@fedor said:
@ProtossRushX said:
@fedor said:
@ProtossRushX said:
@fedor said:

How so? My internet is just as fast as it was then and games are getting bigger. Why would PS5/X-Series X downloads be any faster then XB1/PS4?

I guess will see my high end pc plugged into my cable modem still downloads slow from steam as well this isn't something is going to change from new hardware.

if it still takes me 20 hours to download CoD Warzone on PS5 I guess I'll bring this up again. Cause I don't links or proof that the speeds will change much if at all. Like I said my PC is top of the line and plugged in directly to my cable modem and is still throttled by steam.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Fedor

@ProtossRushX said:
@fedor said:
@ProtossRushX said:
@fedor said:

I guess will see my high end pc plugged into my cable modem still downloads slow from steam as well this isn't something is going to change from new hardware.

if it still takes me 20 hours to download CoD Warzone on PS5 I guess I'll bring this up again. Cause I don't links or proof that the speeds will change much if at all. Like I said my PC is top of the line and plugged in directly to my cable modem and is still throttled by steam.

It took me 1.5 hours to DL Warzone, sounds like a you problem. And lol at high end PC, you have a 1070.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@fedor said:
@ProtossRushX said:
@fedor said:
@ProtossRushX said:
@fedor said:

It took me 1.5 hours to DL Warzone, sounds like a you problem.

No, its not just me I know people that took days for GTA 5 and Witcher 3 RDR2 to download let alone hours.

MCC also took me 8 hours to download I had to wait to the next day to play on XB1 to play the game if I had disc I could play the same night.

Did you download Warzone in 1.5 hours on PC? Blizzard's Battle.net uses bit torrent which makes downloading games much faster than steam or consoles. I'm talking downloading from PSN XBL which this thread is about.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Fedor

@ProtossRushX said:
@fedor said:
@ProtossRushX said:
@fedor said:

No, its not just me I know people that took days for GTA 5 and Witcher 3 RDR2 to download let alone hours.

MCC also took me 8 hours to download I had to wait to the next day to play on XB1 to play the game if I had disc I could play the same night.

Did you download Warzone in 1.5 hours on PC? Blizzard's Battle.net uses bit torrent which makes downloading games much faster than steam or consoles. I'm talking downloading from PSN XBL which this thread is about.

I download games fast on Steam too. Hell, even RDR2 took only took an hour. Check your router settings, bud. And as I said earlier regarding next gen, "It's almost like there is information already out that explains this to you."

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@fedor said:
@ProtossRushX said:
@fedor said:
@ProtossRushX said:
@fedor said:

I download games fast on Steam too. Hell, even RDR2 took only took an hour. Check your router settings, bud.

I'm not using a router its plugged into my cable modem directly. I know for a fact I could not download all of RDR2 in an hour on steam.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Fedor

@ProtossRushX said:
@fedor said:
@ProtossRushX said:
@fedor said:
@ProtossRushX said:

I download games fast on Steam too. Hell, even RDR2 took only took an hour. Check your router settings, bud.

I'm not using a router its plugged into my cable modem directly. I know for a fact I could not download all of RDR2 in an hour on steam.

I did it on Social Club TBF. Steam goes like 25mbs-30mbs for me, plenty fast.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By commander

@Ant_17 said:

They have not forgotten the ps3 release. No way they overprice it

@Archangel3371 said:

@ProtossRushX: Well I don’t think that Sony could afford to go that route again. It definitely didn’t do them any favours with the PS3 and they were coming off from the white hot PS2.

That's a completely different situation now, the ps3's were crazy powerfull but it didn't show in the early years, because it was such custom architecture. It also had blue ray.

There were numerous games next gen games releasing before the ps3 released as well and the ps2 was not a viable option for those games. that is all different here. The ps4 pro will still be able to run all the games, heck the ps4 probably even will.

The xbox360 also had features like party chat and better online service, let's not forget that was 600$ 14 years ago and that's still a far cry from 500$ today. But at 500$ it's still a significantly weaker system than the xbox series x.

Selling the ps5 cheap might end up a double loss as well, less sales for ps4 and ps4 pro , because people getting a ps5.