Why the media is biased toward certain games.

• 99 results
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Now you all know me i am the least person you will see defending the xbox one or its lack of exclusives.

And while i complain about MS total milking of the Forza series,i had to admit that i find completely unprofessional that FH4 didn't get nominated for GOTY in some sites,i don't like racing games any more,i think they are bland and stale at this point in time.

If GT would have landed a 94 i would surely love to see it nominated for GOTY,even if it loses to other games,lets say Forza lose to GOW or RDR2,but it was there.

I find stupid that the only place they are putting the game is as Goty racing,to keep some people happy or by stupidity,if COD or BF3 can win goty for FPS and still compete for over all goty i don't see why Forza can't as well.

And yes let me stress this again i hate Forza and i don't like racing games,and i don't have to say more about how i feel about the xbox you all know,i just don't think it is fair.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts

You're a good man, tormentos.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 tormentos

@freedomfreak said:

You're a good man, tormentos.

Thanks.

I think it deserves a shot and alto i maked some fun of @i_p_daily i have to agree,is not fair if the game got such a high score to see spiderman and even indy games and not Forza.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

Maybe it didn't get nominated because....

1. There's better games that are more deserving.

2. It's barely any different to the last Forza game and doesn't do anything ground breaking.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#5 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15868 Posts

Media is bias against MS as much as how media also will love nintendo games no matter how mediocre they are.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@tormentos: ‘Now you all know me’

False.

Let’s face it, most game sites are just marketing outlets. Their ‘news’ is a bunch of ads on top of the already ad filled ‘stories’. Having said that, I doubt MS put a lot of marketing dollars behind their latest Forza Horizon. We didn’t wait 4 or more years since announcement and it’s street date was no secret. Anticipation, while high, wasn’t feverish. It’s reviewing well critically and with the fans because it’s great.

Some of these ‘event’ games get special attention due to their scarcity, marketing push - or shove rather, and they’re out of the norm in a traditionally crowded bracket. I have no desire to play RD2 because I don’t care for Westerns, but I’m not going to shrug it off from a GotY contender because it’s supposedly a great game for fans of the genre.

I don’t need a GotY nod or award to know FH4 is a great game - I already know it’s great.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tormentos

@scatteh316 said:

2. It's barely any different to the last Forza game and doesn't do anything ground breaking.

I know and i get that hell if we got a Spiderman game or god of war game or even a RDR game each year it would surely affect how people see it,but if the quality is there it should be considerate,i am sure those developers are putting everything they have the game got a good score,so i can't agree with Spiderman been there and even an Indy game (not downplaying indies) but not Forza H4 when it has the merits is unfair.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

If it's one of the highest scoring games of the year, then it should be in contention.

Really the overall game of the year award list should be made up of the winning games from the other categories. It's just another reason to ignore game of the year awards.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tormentos

@Sevenizz said:

@tormentos: ‘Now you all know me’

False.

Let’s face it, most game sites are just marketing outlets. Their ‘news’ is a bunch of ads on top of the already ad filled ‘stories’. Having said that, I doubt MS put a lot of marketing dollars behind their latest Forza Horizon. We didn’t wait 4 or more years since announcement and it’s street date was no secret. Anticipation, while high, wasn’t feverish. It’s reviewing well critically and with the fans because it’s great.

Some of these ‘event’ games get special attention due to their scarcity, marketing push - or shove rather, and they’re out of the norm in a traditionally crowded bracket. I have no desire to play RD2 because I don’t care for Westerns, but I’m not going to shrug it off from a GotY contender because it’s supposedly a great game for fans of the genre.

I don’t need a GotY nod or award to know FH4 is a great game - I already know it’s great.

Who cares..

This ^^ is all that matter and since score say the game is great because it is,sure you don't need a nomination to know it is great but is not fair that games like freaking BF or COD can compete when they are the same shit as well and get nominated.

It doesn't matter if MS created anticipation or not,if they pay or not for add which they DID as i saw many on sites,is about the game delivering in the end,not about this games that was good and because you rarely get one it should be included while this other one should be left out because you see a chapter each year as if COD,AC,BF and many other games don't get a yearly chapter how many times AC has been nominated for GOTY?

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@tormentos: Yea but we already knew it was going to be great because of its pedigree. But I get your point. A franchise can fall off its pedigree such as a Gran Tourismo so it’s unfair to judge a game on the whole of the franchise.

It is suspicious that it didn’t get more noms though. MS bias? Arcade racer bias? Casual bias? All of the above? Perhaps.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11002 Posts
@sakaixx said:

Media is bias against MS as much as how media also will love nintendo games no matter how mediocre they are.

If the media biased against MS, then why did Forza Horizon 4 get high scores? Does not compute.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#12 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@scatteh316 said:

This ^^^

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@scatteh316 said:

Then how did GoW or RDR2 get any nominations?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@MonsieurX: I’d say GOW is totally different from its predecessors and RDR2 does break new grounds.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts
@Juub1990 said:

@MonsieurX: I’d say GOW is totally different from its predecessors and RDR2 does break new grounds.

On the same note God of War is now a cookie cutter Sony exclusive, it may be different from the previous games but it's the same as everything else now.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8459 Posts

LMAO at people making these token threads/posts to appear as unbiased and rational.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#17 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69083 Posts

Game awards are nothing but popularity contest. I have yet to see anything to the contrary.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#18 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41489 Posts
@sakaixx said:

Oh yes, because I so remember the media being enamored with...

-Star Fox Zero

-Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival

-Metroid Prime: Federation Force

-Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

Do you also believe that chemicals in water is making frogs LGBT? Do you believe Halloween was founded by Satanist cults?

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

It’s game journalism, they can’t make everyone happy. And using metacritic instead just trades opinions for opinions.

I personally don’t know anything about FH4 but if anyone thinks it deserves GOTY, it’s GOTY then.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#20 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69083 Posts

@Ibacai said:

It’s game journalism, they can’t make everyone happy. And using metacritic instead just trades opinions for opinions.

I personally don’t know anything about FH4 but if anyone thinks it deserves GOTY, it’s GOTY then.

That is how it should be. But people use opinions of equal value to invalidate a person's individual taste. GOTY is a personal thing unless we are using objective measures for the title like sales.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:
@sakaixx said:

Oh yes, because I so remember the media being enamored with...

-Star Fox Zero

-Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival

-Metroid Prime: Federation Force

-Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

Do you also believe that chemicals in water is making frogs LGBT? Do you believe Halloween was founded by Satanist cults?

lol, i forgot how bad those games were.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 scatteh316
@MonsieurX said:
@scatteh316 said:

You haven't seen the new GOW reboot have you?

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

It is baffling. Awards probably dont favor sport games as they do Action/Adventure styles games, just not sexy enough.

Ive played a good majority of the games up for the awards and none of them compete with FH4 in content/quality/variety and seemless multiplayer. Forza Horizon 4 has so much more going for it and the seemless connection to all the modes.

When Playground Games shows off the secret project that allegedly is Fable, people will go insane and give them all the accolades

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58635 Posts

Money/progressive-politics

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#25 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

Well, it's my goty, even though I'm almost done red dead 2.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By tormentos

@MonsieurX said:
@scatteh316 said:

RDR2 is mostly like last one but GOW is nothing like the last one i have to say.

Alto RDR2 still is a great game because of that it is like the last game but better.

But i do understand what you are trying to say.

@Sevenizz said:

@tormentos: Yea but we already knew it was going to be great because of its pedigree. But I get your point. A franchise can fall off its pedigree such as a Gran Tourismo so it’s unfair to judge a game on the whole of the franchise.

It is suspicious that it didn’t get more noms though. MS bias? Arcade racer bias? Casual bias? All of the above? Perhaps.

There is no such thing as a warranty score,Forza Motorsport 5 has 79% average far from the 90% the first 4 chapters in the series got.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MonsieurX

@scatteh316 said:
@MonsieurX said:
@scatteh316 said:

"reboot"

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 scatteh316
@MonsieurX said:
@scatteh316 said:
@MonsieurX said:
@scatteh316 said:

"reboot"

Thanks for proving my point.

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1388 Posts

Horizon doesnt appeal much outside of its core fans

Kurt angle probably top 5 wrestler ever technically. Yet it would be bogus to consider him competing agaisnt the rock , steve austins and other more impactful legends for wwe rewards

A game has to also have impact when considered on the goty list

Spider-Man scored lower but definitely wowed more ppl

It's that simple. Fh4 just came out in a year of super appealing tittles

Ppl could hate on cod and bf but they appeal the most ppl each year. Makes sense if their nominationed

kenshiro3948

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kenshiro3948
Member since 2018 • 406 Posts

You would have a point if GOTY nominations were based on scores but they aren't, they are picked based on how much impact they have on the industry. While FH4 is a great racing game it doesn't mean it deserves the nomination as there are other games the critics feel deserve it more as their impact on the industry is more felt.

Also let's face it, critics as well as casuals just aren't into racing games like that, and it will be a cold day in hell before they pick a driving game for GOTY nomination. It's like picking MLB the Show for a GOTY nomination, those games are fantastic baseball games and I remember them scoring in the 90s at some point but at no point did they get picked for GOTY nomination, they were always placed in the sports category.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MonsieurX

@kenshiro3948 said:

You would have a point if GOTY nominations were based on scores but they aren't, they are picked based on how much impact they have on the industry. While FH4 is a great racing game it doesn't mean it deserves the nomination as there are other games the critics feel deserve it more as their impact on the industry is more felt.

Also let's face it, critics as well as casuals just aren't into racing games like that, and it will be a cold day in hell before they pick a driving game for GOTY nomination. It's like picking MLB the Show for a GOTY nomination, those games are fantastic baseball games and I remember them scoring in the 90s at some point but at no point did they get picked for GOTY nomination, they were always placed in the sports category.

...are they?

kenshiro3948

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kenshiro3948
Member since 2018 • 406 Posts
@MonsieurX said:
@kenshiro3948 said:

...are they?

Yup, it's the reason why crap like PUBG was nominated last year even though it wasn't officially released at the time and was a buggy mess.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22367 Posts

Yep, FH4 should be nominated and it's a joke that it isn't... and shows the media bias.

If Spiderman gets nominated, then FH4 should be. Simple.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12054 Posts

The bias is real folks.

I don’t like El Tomato but this thread takes balls.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

They should have replaced Spiderman with FH4. Most of the media don't care much for racing games. Stick Nintendo label on the cover and you may get them interested.

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 3135 Posts

Seems pretty easy to see why it isn't.

Nominees for The Game Awards are chosen by an international jury of 69 global media and influencer outlets, selected for their history of critical evaluation of video games. [snip] Each outlet completes a confidential, unranked ballot based on the collective and diverse opinion of its entire editorial staff, listing out its top five choices in each category. These ballots are tabulated, and the five games that appear on the most ballots are put forth as nominees. In the event of a tie, six (or more) nominees will be announced in a category.

(from The Game Awards FAQ)

So you have just five slots to populate for your outlet. Three of those -- RDR2, God of War, Spider-Man -- are pretty much a given on each ballot. You then have a bunch of other games fighting for those last two spots, and those spots are to be, in the Game Awards' own words, based on the collective opinion of the entire staff, not just the outlets' "sports/racing guys" that specialize in the genre. FH4 may have struck a chord with those reviewers, but that's a narrow segment that's easily shouted down by non-racing fans.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9475 Posts

Simple.... they get paid... well, certain ones do, and most of the smaller fish simply follow in the wake of the big fish by giving similar reviews and scores to try and look relevant and gain a larger foothold. Often times having multiple reviews of the same game already typed up and ready to post.

After going back and reading what you posted in the body (not the misleading title), I think you should replace "games" with "genres" or "franchises." On that note however... I don't feel that is a thing that happens. There have been some pretty big differences in scores throughout a franchise.

As far as GOTY goes... well that's just dumb. I think that in order to do so, one would need to break games down into at least several different categories first. Then give games awards based off genre. Having a winner takes all GOTY is nothing more than a popularity contest.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tormentos

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Yep, FH4 should be nominated and it's a joke that it isn't... and shows the media bias.

I agree the game got a great score it deserve a shot in the list.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#39 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I don't think it's anything against MS but rather against racing games. FH4 definitely should get nominated for some GOTYs, not just because I like the game but because it got high scores across the industry. Kinda silly seeing media outlets telling us their reviews are worth noting.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By scatteh316

I would really like to know what exactly Forza does to deserve a nomination?

It's a good game but there are loads of good games that also haven't been nominated, what does Forza do to justify it over other games??

What does it do for the genre? What does it do that other Forza games (who also wasn't nominated?) don't do?

Simply coming up with some bullshit logic that it should be nominated because it scored high on MC is retarded.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

I dunno...I get what you’re saying but racing games have never contended for GOTY. Not even Mario Kart does which has a huge fan base. Has a racing game ever actually won GOTY? I’m curious.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts
@scatteh316 said:

It's a good game but there are loads of good games that also haven't been nominated, what does Forza do to justify it over other games??

What does it do for the genre? What does it do that other Forza games (who also wasn't nominated?) don't do?

Simply coming up with some bullshit logic that it should be nominated because it scored high on MC is retarded.

forza doesn't do anything new its all just the same crap forza horizon 3 forza horizon 4 assassin creed 100 were sick of em imo and gamers are sick of em people nominating goty is sick of em IMO

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#43 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38026 Posts

@GarGx1 said:
@Juub1990 said:

On the same note God of War is now a cookie cutter Sony exclusive, it may be different from the previous games but it's the same as everything else now.

As much as I love GoW I agree. However, the notion that a game must break new ground to be great is absurd. There are great formulaic pieces of entertainment.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#44 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38026 Posts

@scatteh316 said:

Why must it do something new? Why cant it be great at what it is and be deserving because of it?

There are great films, music, novels that receive awards and nominations yet didn't do anything ground breaking. Great entertainment is great entertainment and that's what any fair awards should recognize.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17637 Posts

Consensus of taste at any given moment contingent on varying factors? Don't think there's much more to it than that.

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

Forza Horizon 4 definitely deserves some awards. I am not a racing game fan, but damn this game is hard to put down. I needed a little break from RDR2 and next thing I know it's an hour later. Keep saying this will be last race but they give me something other cool to do. Street race? sure. wanna stunt race? hell yeah I do, wanna do offroad? hell yeah! they just keep mixing it up where it is a ton of fun. It looks amazing and plays great, and change of seasons and scenery is sweet.

I don't know about Game of the year? A nod would have been nice. But the way many sites are doing awards putting this as a sports game does not seem right, or action game. Also remember when Rocket league won best racer? WTF? It's a weird genre these days with not many competing like years past.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By scatteh316
@cainetao11 said:
@scatteh316 said:

Why must it do something new? Why cant it be great at what it is and be deserving because of it?

There are great films, music, novels that receive awards and nominations yet didn't do anything ground breaking. Great entertainment is great entertainment and that's what any fair awards should recognise.

Because the racing genre is stale and bland and a game needs to stand out to get nominated and noticed.

Simply being a re-hashed version of last years game is not good enough for a nomination.

And simply being a 'good' game isn't enough as there's loads of 'good' games around that don't get nominated, so why exactly is Forza deserving of a nomination over all the other good games that didn't get nominated?

So far other then saying it's a 'good' game no ones been able to justify it over other 'good' games.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

How about the strategy genre, did Frostpunk get nominated for anything at all?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22367 Posts

@tormentos said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

I agree the game got a great score it deserve a shot in the list.

Yep.

@ProtossRushX said:
@scatteh316 said:

forza doesn't do anything new its all just the same crap forza horizon 3 forza horizon 4 assassin creed 100 were sick of em imo and gamers are sick of em people nominating goty is sick of em IMO

Does Spiderman "do anything new"? It's the same sh*t we've seen a million times before.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By scatteh316
@hrt_rulz01 said:

@ProtossRushX said:
@scatteh316 said:

Does Spiderman "do anything new"? It's the same sh*t we've seen a million times before.

In the years between this years Spiderman and the last Spiderman game we've had 5 Forza games so I find your comment extremely amusing.

Spiderman was a major step forward for comic book game tie-ins and showed the whole gaming industry that when comic book to game tie in's are done right they can be extremely good games and not just cash grabs.

That is what Spiderman represents, a big step forward for comic book adaptions..... that is it what it did to deserve it's nomination.

As opposed to Forza which literally is the same shit we've seen a million times before and no doubt the same re-hashed shit we'll see once every 12 months.