Why the hell is it so hard to find the PS Vita in stores?

• 80 results
GrgSpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GrgSpunk
Member since 2004 • 1246 Posts

Does anyone else notice how the PS Vita is next to non-existent in retail shelves? I've checked multiple outlets for Gamestop, Walmart, Best Buy and Target chains in my area, and the system isn't in stock anywhere. They all have plenty of Vita games and accessories, but no actual systems in stock.

The closest I have seen a Vita in stock is at a local Gamestop, which had some used systems on the shelves (I bought mine this way). I haven't even seen the new Borderlands 2 bundle with the Vita slim available anywhere here.

I am aware that the Vita is available in online stores like Amazon and Ebay, but that's not the point. How does Sony expect to reasonably sell a game system if they can't even make it at least somewhat available in all types of outlets, both online and offline?

Does anybody have a credible explanation as to what is going on with the availability of the system? I understand that Sony has been recently marketing the Vita for games produced by smaller/indie developers in lieu of AAA games developed by large companies, but that issue only concerns the software. That reason alone shouldn't have to interfere with the distribution of the hardware...

GamingTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By GamingTitan
Member since 2004 • 657 Posts

Where do you live?

I live in Washington state (Olympic peninsula). I had to wait a couple weeks for the gamestop in my area to restock the borderlands bundle, but it was only a couple weeks.

vitonemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3  Edited By vitonemesis
Member since 2006 • 3162 Posts

It's dead. You didn't get the memo?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I thought I saw a few units available at the local Wal-Mart here (inside the glass cabinet). I know one of the Gamestop stores had some both new and used.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

Do you really need to ask?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52424 Posts

Oh yeah, it's selling like hotcakes.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#8 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

They still have the old 3g versions new in boxes, at several gamestops here in Atlanta last I checked. I bought the walking dead bundle early last year.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#9 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@GrgSpunk:

Where? The outskirts of Nepal? Its easily found in major cities from what I read.

Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jshoelace
Member since 2008 • 846 Posts

Same here in the UK, I went in to Game and they had to order one for me to be delivered. I bought it mainly to play my ps1 games on.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Oh yeah, it's selling like hotcakes.

This

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

The stores really don't stock the system anymore BECAUSE they don't sell. Supply and demand dictates to store owners which items should take up precious shelving space and PSV isn't a seller. This is directly related to Sony going against their initial vision of the system with lots of AAA titles and turning the damn thing into an digital indie games machine and PS4 accessory.

With so many digital only games as the system's main bread and butter, that leaves little for stores to sell with the PSV and little to keep customers coming back for content.

Why stock a system that doesn't help your store gain money? The answer is, you don't.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Waste of shelf space?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Probably because they know demand for it is low (it has sold about 4 million units in 2 years) so stocking it isn't a high priority. That, and retailers buy the stock, so they want to make money off it and not have it sitting around collecting dust.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

Supply and demand.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Lol vita

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#17 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

It's a dead platform . No one cares about Vita anymore .

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#18 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

The shit is dead

High-Res

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 High-Res
Member since 2005 • 273 Posts

It was a non selling piece of junk. Then the Ps4 released and now demand is back up from Ps4 owners. So you went from a System on the brink of Extinction to a system all the people who purchased Ps4 started wanting.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Retailers started compressing the Vita shortly thereafter release. Over two years later there isn't much of a reason to allot it any space beyond the most minimal, extra space available. Around here the PSP gets more space.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

@vitonemesis said:

this.

it just might be a case of Sony just not producing many of the and retailers not ordering them often

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

#dead

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

You live in a war-torn country ?

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@vitonemesis said:

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

Here in NYC, it's the same, extremely rare in many retail outlets. It's like "where's Waldo?" over here.

What a shame, a portable with so much potential with excellent efficient hardware to work with, yet no one else is interested.

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Damn Amazon, Best Buy, Gamestop, and Target don't have it in-stock online. Makes me think they've dropped it because I seriously doubt it sold out at every major retailer.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Oh look, usual suspects saying Vita is dead. How incredibly predictable.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lostrib

@Shewgenja: well it's not doing too hot, especially with Sony pretty much saying they won't be making any big AAA games for it. Heck Amazon doesn't even seem to stock it. The only place that seems to regularly have it is Fry's and those are refurbs.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts
@Shewgenja said:

Oh look, usual suspects saying Vita is dead. How incredibly predictable.

Eh is true though.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

It's in stasis. Thing might come back to life.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#31 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@GrgSpunk: You could always order it online

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

They sell out very quickly. That's what comes with being the most successful handheld.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lostrib

@amazonangry said:

They sell out very quickly. That's what comes with being the most successful handheld.

...it's not the most successful handheld. And I have a feeling they're not selling out, as much as they're not being stocked as much

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

With SONY being on a ROLL with PS4 it makes sense that Vita's are too.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts
@lostrib said:

...it's not the most successful handheld. And I have a feeling they're not selling out, as much as they're not being stocked as much

My guess is it's a combination of both of an uptick in sales recently, and retailers not adjusting their purchasing orders to match. Wouldn't be surprising, since Vitas aren't probably on the regular stock list.

In any case I can't imagine it's a long term problem, and those wanting one can always jump online if their area has a shortage.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By lostrib

@santoron said:
@lostrib said:

My guess is it's a combination of both of an uptick in sales recently, and retailers not adjusting their purchasing orders to match. Wouldn't be surprising, since Vitas aren't probably on the regular stock list.

In any case I can't imagine it's a long term problem, and those wanting one can always jump online if their area has a shortage.

Seems odd though that they haven't released the Slim buy itself. And the bundle doesn't seem to be restocked

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By santoron

@lostrib said:

@santoron said:

Seems odd though that they haven't released the Slim buy itself. And the bundle doesn't seem to be restocked

That... does seem odd. I kind of figured the BL2 bundle would be the de facto SKU for most of Summer, so not seeing it sold solo yet doesn't shock me. But looking at Amazon it looks like supply is short there as well, with all SKUs sporting inflated prices by opportunistic sellers. WalMart.com and BestBuy.com look out of stock on all SKUs...

OK so now I'm guessing this is a Sony snafu. No way all those retailers let themselves go bone dry. I assume Sony didn't adjust production runs to account for an uptick with the Slim's launch. A surefire way to kill any momentum from the new model launch is to ensure nobody can get them.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By lostrib

@santoron said:

@lostrib said:

@santoron said:

That... does seem odd. I kind of figured the BL2 bundle would be the de facto SKU for most of Summer, so not seeing it sold solo yet doesn't shock me. But looking at Amazon it looks like supply is short there as well, with all SKUs sporting inflated prices by opportunistic sellers. WalMart.com and BestBuy.com look out of stock on all SKUs...

OK so now I'm guessing this is a Sony snafu. No way all those retailers let themselves go bone dry. I assume Sony didn't adjust production runs to account for an uptick with the Slim's launch. A surefire way to kill any momentum from the new model launch is to ensure nobody can get them.

I've read some other places that the BL2 bundle was just a one time thing (kind of like some of the previous holiday bundles).

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

It may depend on how well it sell per Country or such, Here most Electronics stores have some.

Ironically no gaming stores have them (gamestop and such) and I assume the reason for that is that the Vita is mostly digital, so selling the system will not get the store aditional income from the continued sale of games. Just a hunch though.

So basicly no gamestop at all here Sells new Vitas, msot Electronics stores that has a gaming department stocks some.

So it may be that the Vita just Sells better here then in some other countries.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 santoron

@lostrib said:

I've read some other places that the BL2 bundle was just a one time thing (kind of like some of the previous holiday bundles).

It wouldn't shock me if that was the case, since they did label it a "limited edition". I thought they'd run it for most of the Summer to drum up sales since Summer is slow going for the industry as a whole, and my thinking that Sony was trying to actually beef up sales with the new model. Of course until recently many of those old bundles were still available because of weak sales.

Whatever their intentions with the bundle, it seems pretty obvious someone screwed up. Someone better turn the factory on for a day or two and get whatever SKU they are going with to retailers ASAP.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#41  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

@amazonangry said:

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

i think Sony simply didn't make enough to meet demand. Remember, they stopped shipping the PCH-1000 to NA months ago.

I'm not saying that there's a huge demand for the PCH-2000, but Sony still didn't manage to fufill it.

systemdefender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 systemdefender
Member since 2014 • 49 Posts

Retailers aren't going to buy a system that has such shitty sales.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

its probably way in the back...

you need to ask the clerk to get one for you.

Loading Video...

High-Res

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By High-Res
Member since 2005 • 273 Posts

Hey, I thought the PS Vita was epic fail too. Then my kids Birthday was rolling around. And hes like 10 and has always been into electronics. He's also hardcore Ps3/Ps4 Fan boy. You can access your Ps4 and play ANY Ps4 game, (Yes ANY!!!!) with this thing made it really f'n awesome. Anywhere there is f'n Wifi!

Plus, if the TV is in use he can use the Ps4 controller and play Ps4 games using the screen from the Vita.

This little son of a bitch (the system, not my kid) is bad arss. Its like the Wiiu Concept on steroids!

LOL< The bad part is I learned all this from a Best Buy Clerk. Sony has done as bad as a ob promoting and advertising this as Nintendo has done on the Wiiu.

Oh by the way I had a super hard time finding one as well, all the store clerks at Game Stop and Best Buy all said the same thing. This thing was epic fail. No one wanted it and just recently out of no where with the success of the ps4 they cant keep it in-stock.

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#46 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts

I've never NOT seen it in stock but the Vita section is usually very poor with limited selections. Which is a shame because the Vita is a seriously awesome system. I gotta say though, even I'm part of the "Vita problem" - I dont buy the retail games and use it mostly for indie downloads.

Only retail game I've ever bought NEW at a non discount price has been Tearaway and it was worth it. Hope that franchise comes to PS4. Just an awesome world that Media Molecule needs to expand further!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

Loading Video...

1. LMAO - that was actually well done
  2. However, you're a butthurt sheep, lol
  3. The actress in the film, Alexandria Maria Klara, who plays Hilter's secretary, Traudl Junge, is Hot.
  4. Downfall is an excellent movie, I suggest for anyone to watch it on Netflix.
  5. Also Maria Klara is in the film Control, about the rock band Joy Division's front man, Ian Curtis. Go watch it if for any rock/Joy Division fans.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@VERTIGO47 said:

@KBFloYd said:

1. LMAO - that was actually well done
  2. However, you're a butthurt sheep, lol
  3. The actress in the film, Alexandria Maria Klara, who plays Hilter's secretary, Traudl Junge, is Hot.
  4. Downfall is an excellent movie, I suggest for anyone to watch it on Netflix.
  5. Also Maria Klara is in the film Control, about the rock band Joy Division's front man, Ian Curtis. Go watch it if for any rock/Joy Division fans.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#49 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Nobody wants them here, so you can buy them everywhere here.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Thinking about buying one for future purposes. The console is dead but I want it more for the hardware and design than the games.