Why Steam isn't a big hit in Japan

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

The only pussy Hermits get is a cat rubbing itself on their leg.

Only someone not getting any talks about difficulty of getting sex.

You make it sound like a challenge.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

That didn't take long. lol.

Maybe for you.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

oh that sounds lovely!

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
@shadowchronicle said:

Are you talking about japanese language support for games or the interface itself?

I think they were talking about the interface itself. And if it's an adventure game with lots of talking like The Wolf Among Us instead of LIMBO, I guess they would want a language support.

Magescrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56  Edited By Magescrew
Member since 2008 • 541 Posts

Sometimes cultural divides are too wide to gap. It's still hard to understand though. Japanese games aren't my favorite (generally I don't really connect to the storylines, especially in JRPGs), but I can still sit down and play one, and I'm at least aware of 90% of them. Can't believe the majority of them haven't touched stuff like Skyrim. I wonder what they think of stuff like Mass Effect?

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@BattleSpectre said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@BattleSpectre said:

Japan doesn't deserve a gaming PC, they're all a bunch of casuals that marry their 3DS and handhelds because they can't get pussy.

smh...and by the way, pc gaming is boring. snore.

Whatever the case, you know that the second part of my post is true (yeah the one you chose to ignore).

oh noes, they are not dominated by a pathetic Christian religion where violence is idolised yet sexual expression is TEH DEVIL.... that vendor is a joke... nothing more.

shut up idiot, Christianity saved the world. don't eve n try to get into this.

lmfao.... are you serious?

you sound like a muslim jihadist.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@ps4hasnogames said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@BattleSpectre said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@BattleSpectre said:

Japan doesn't deserve a gaming PC, they're all a bunch of casuals that marry their 3DS and handhelds because they can't get pussy.

Whatever the case, you know that the second part of my post is true (yeah the one you chose to ignore).

oh noes, they are not dominated by a pathetic Christian religion where violence is idolised yet sexual expression is TEH DEVIL.... that vendor is a joke... nothing more.

I ask again, are you serious?

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 PS4hasNOgames

@MBirdy88 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@BattleSpectre said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@BattleSpectre said:

I ask again, are you serious?

you sound angry, like most lems I've encountered on XBL....I beat them in madden and they curse my mother.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

I wonder what GabeN's stance on incest is.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@ps4hasnogames I'm a lemming yet your the one playing on Xbox Live.... oh dang son, inconsistant.

But then, what can I expect from a Christian that believes it saved the world XD

good jokes!

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#62 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Steam just needs to release Rapelay to be a hit there

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@BattleSpectre said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@BattleSpectre said:

Adults believing in imaginary friends.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

Because PC gaming is not big in Japan. The color of some interface has little to do with it.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 PS4hasNOgames

@MBirdy88 said:

@ps4hasnogames I'm a lemming yet your the one playing on Xbox Live.... oh dang son, inconsistant.

But then, what can I expect from a Christian that believes it saved the world XD

good jokes!

you make zero sense. be gone.

linkdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By linkdarkside
Member since 2003 • 6279 Posts

@Magescrew said:

Sometimes cultural divides are too wide to gap. It's still hard to understand though. Japanese games aren't my favorite (generally I don't really connect to the storylines, especially in JRPGs), but I can still sit down and play one, and I'm at least aware of 90% of them. Can't believe the majority of them haven't touched stuff like Skyrim. I wonder what they think of stuff like Mass Effect?

there actually Skyrim community sites ,i remember going in to one to get a Fang(FF13) clothes and weapon.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@ps4hasnogames said:

@MBirdy88 said:

good jokes!

You said you played with foul mouth kids on Xbox Live... I do not play on Xbox Live. therefore, you are closer to a lemming. simply logic my friend.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Perhaps Steam isn't there for the Japanese local market at all. Steam could be targeting the big US presence (both military and their dependents) in the bases there.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

Thread on Steam....morons bash religion. Yep....SW must score high in the IQ test. /sarcasm

iloveatlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#70  Edited By iloveatlus
Member since 2009 • 599 Posts
@walloftruth said:

@edwardecl said:

@BattleSpectre said:

Japan doesn't deserve a gaming PC, they're all a bunch of casuals that marry their 3DS and handhelds because they can't get pussy. I mean which country has a vending machine where you pay money, and dirty panties come out with a picture of a school girl.

Disgusting country, a bunch of sickos.

Got any links/pics of this vending machine?

No idea if that's actually real though or if anyone actually uses them...not sure I wanna know.

It's very real.

Loading Video...
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Lmao, how much do these things cost to activate? I'm too lazy to do the conversion. A better question is which school girl would offer her panties to strangers so they can sell them?

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#72  Edited By Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

IIRC home network internet penetration was really low in Japan which would explain why Japanese uptake on digital goods is so poor. The ratio of books that are released digitally for Kindle is quite poor compared to the English speaking world I hear, which again leads me to believe that consumer faith in digital goods isn't there. Same story with the Japanese iTunes, things you expect to be on there simply aren't; Japan is really lagging behind with digital goods.

It's perhaps not surprising though, most Japanese digital services are badly designed, difficult to navigate and packed with an obnoxious number of adverts (actually, pretty much all of the Japanese internet looks like that...). Even Vector (a personal favourite of mine) suffers from those issues.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#73 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

Personally, I think that with the Steam Machines being a thing, Valve could invest in Japanese franchises if they actually want the market.

I still think they should do it regardless, since Valve needs to buy launch titles for the damn thing.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 PS4hasNOgames

@MBirdy88 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@MBirdy88 said:

good jokes!

You said you played with foul mouth kids on Xbox Live... I do not play on Xbox Live. therefore, you are closer to a lemming. simply logic my friend.

huh? lol fail.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

@BattleSpectre: mate, do you think the northern territory would be a good place to live?

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts
@MBirdy88 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

This.

I've seen it time and time again. When someone talks about how hard it is and how few have done it, you know they are either not getting any or not pulling anything worthy.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@Jankarcop said:
@MBirdy88 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

This.

I've seen it time and time again. When someone talks about how hard it is and how few have done it, you know they are either not getting any or not pulling anything worthy.

You have sex with your sister, I really think we shouldn't receive your input on getting laid.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Jankarcop

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Jankarcop said:
@MBirdy88 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

This.

You have sex with your sister, I really think we shouldn't receive your input on getting laid.

Atleast shes a 10/10

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@Jankarcop said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Jankarcop said:
@MBirdy88 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

This.

Atleast shes a 10/10

When she's not around do you ask mom? I'm curious, just how does your family work.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Jankarcop

what..we're both over 21 I don't need to ask mom anything

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@Jankarcop said:

what..we're both over 21 I don't need to ask mom anything

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#82  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19516 Posts
@Articuno76 said:

IIRC home network internet penetration was really low in Japan which would explain why Japanese uptake on digital goods is so poor. The ratio of books that are released digitally for Kindle is quite poor compared to the English speaking world I hear, which again leads me to believe that consumer faith in digital goods isn't there. Same story with the Japanese iTunes, things you expect to be on there simply aren't; Japan is really lagging behind with digital goods.

It's perhaps not surprising though, most Japanese digital services are badly designed, difficult to navigate and packed with an obnoxious number of adverts (actually, pretty much all of the Japanese internet looks like that...). Even Vector (a personal favourite of mine) suffers from those issues.

There's a reason for that. The evolution of the internet was different in Japan than in most other countries.

In the West, as well other Asian countries like China and South Korea, the internet boom of the late 90's mainly took off on PC, with slow 56k dial-up modems, before we moved on to high-speed broadband modems in the early 2000's.

In Japan, something different happened: the release of i-Mode, the world's first 3G mobile internet service, in the late 90's, led to Japanese mobile phone users having high-speed internet on their phones, a lot faster than the 56K dial-up modems most of us used on PC back then. At around the same time, colour flip-phones also became popular in Japan, while were were still using monochrome phones in the West.

As a result, the Japanese internet came to be dominated by mobile phones rather than PC's, and so Japanese internet sites and services were more often designed around mobile phones rather than PC's. Much of Japan's internet history has been dominated by mobile phones, whereas much of our internet history has been dominated by PC's.

@magicalclick said:

The simple answer is, Japanese PC gamers only play PC98 games (aka dating games).

The PC98 has been dead for a long time now. And the PC98 wasn't just dating games, but it had a diverse library, including RPG's, visual novels, adventure games, shooters, action, puzzle, strategy, horror, etc. At its height in the 16-bit era, the PC98's popularity in Japan more or less rivalled the SNES. However, since the PC98 wasn't well known in the West, we never received most of the PC98's games, except for the ones ported to Japanese consoles or Western computer platforms. Japan also had other computer platforms, like the FM Towns and Sharp X68000, which were more powerful than Western computer platforms in their time.

The decline of Japanese computer gaming more or less coincided with the rise of Windows 95 and PlayStation, with most former Japanese computer game developers at the time choosing to migrate to Sony's PlayStation rather than Microsoft's Windows. In many ways, it's similar to the migration of many Western PC developers to consoles a decade later.

kipsta77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 kipsta77
Member since 2012 • 1119 Posts

@lordlors said:

The Steam store itself is too dark. They said the Japanese love colorful stuff and that the Steam store is too dark for them. I guess if you compare Steam to other DD services it is dark but I just like the way it is because it seems elegant.

I just can't wrap my head about this reasoning.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@BattleSpectre said:

Aren't you the dude who went all Captain Morality on me for posting a picture of a meth addict? Good lord you are a troll. Please put me on your ignore list from now on.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

"Too dark and not colorful enough"... are they all 16y old girls or something? Holy fk....................

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By BattleSpectre

@CrownKingArthur said:

@BattleSpectre: mate, do you think the northern territory would be a good place to live?

Any place in Australia is worth living at without sounding too biased. I'm from Melbourne, and for 3 years in a row now it had been voted the world's most liveable city. Here's a link just so people don't call me out:

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/28/travel/melbourne-most-livable-city/

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By BattleSpectre

@Shewgenja said:

@BattleSpectre said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@BattleSpectre said:

Aren't you the dude who went all Captain Morality on me for posting a picture of a meth addict? Good lord you are a troll. Please put me on your ignore list from now on.

Oh, that picture wasn't of a burn victim? My apologies for thinking it was, it's hard to tell as I've seen pictures of burn victims and they usually look like that after surgery.

I wasn't trying to be a troll, nor do I view myself as one. Not once have I tried to stir shit intentionally with my time on Gamespot, and I believe my posts back that up. I don't want to put you on my ignore list nor am I going to.

I apologise for the misunderstanding and If it offended you, believe me it was not my attention.

MiKandiJapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 MiKandiJapan
Member since 2015 • 6 Posts

Steam being a sucess in Japan would look like this...

A physical console with a completely localized interface. A huge selection of native Japanese games and foreign games localized into Japanese.

...and FYI of course you can still buy used panties here, but instead of vending machines they've moved to online auctions ;)

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#89  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

This is the weirdest English I have ever seen.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:
@BattleSpectre said:

I'll bite. Lets ignore superior graphics and frames. What is boring about it?

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#91 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Biggsest reason - Valve doesn;t allow porn games to be sold on Steam and eroge is the biggest pc genre in Japan right now. Plus a lot of indies also avoid DD, prefering to sell directly to customers during conventions.

Japan pc market is like western one was before Steam came around and it's ripe for the taking for the company that can do it right. But Steam won't be it.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I never actually thought about that. Interesting.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 BattleSpectre

This thread is over 1 year old, please don't bump old threads. Locked.