Why so much fuss about PS3 vs XBOX 360 Sales numbers??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zkalra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 zkalra
Member since 2002 • 1089 Posts

I mean if sales were the criteria to determine a superior product then the McDonald's burger would be the best burger on the planet. Or a Wal-Mart pair of sunglasses would be superior to Gucci originals.  LOL.  People keep saying that the XBOX360 has better sales than the PS3.  Well that's a flawed statement if the territory is missing.  The PS3 has better sales in the hole of Europe except the UK.  There are several industry reports that clearly suggest this.  Also the PS3 is the clear winner in Asia and Japan.  It's only the US where it is behind.

I have both systems so I am not a fanboy of either but here is my 3 point synopsis of this console generation -

1) Multi-plats mostly run and look better on the Xbox.  True.  But it could be due to the complicated architecture of the PS3 or sheer laziness on the part of the developer.  On the other hand the crappy graphics card (ATI, now AMD) that the Sony guys decided on has significant fill-rate limitations when compared to the NVIDIA that the Xbox sports.

2) Usability - the PS3 is a winner here.  It can do a lot of things and frankly wireless out of the box is a big time positive.  Plus the Blu-Ray is definitely a clincher for a lot of folks out there that want to do more on their system than just play games.  Also the convergence advantages (such as connecting a camera/memory stick) are a very cool factor.  All in all the PS3 is a far more edgier and cooler system IMO even in terms of sheer looks (though the looks aspect is definitely not a deal maker/breaker).  The sound processor coupled with the brilliant Blu-Ray functionality make the PS3 one of the best entertainment solutions out there.

3) Hardware reliability - well I don't think there is any competition here.  I have had to replace 2 xboxes (I bought two initially) because of the rings of death.  Apart from this serious hardware issue. i find the Xbox to be very 'clunky'.  It simply lacks the sophisticated feel of the PS3 that to Microsoft's credit is only to be expected from a corporation that was primarily a software-based company.
Like i said i have both and bought the PS3 only a few months back for MGS4 but after having used both systems I would recommend only one thing to all -

GET BOTH.  You really will be pleased.

thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 thinicer
Member since 2006 • 3704 Posts

This message will fall on deaf ears because of fanboyism.

Fanboys care deeply about sales because it means their horse is winning the race, but between the 360 and PS3 it's a race for 2nd place since Wii is destroying both utterly.

KinderChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 KinderChimp
Member since 2008 • 238 Posts
Ummmm... system wars what do you expect? You have to brag about anything even if it means bragging about a exclusive that your console has that scored 4.0 on GS.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
This is system wars. The keywords are "system" and "wars". Think about that for 5 seconds, and you'll have the answer to your question.
eklineage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 eklineage
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts
cuz it's system wars. Besides it helps fanboys sleep at night. Evenif the ps3 is selling well for these last two weeks, I really couldn't give 2 flying ****s.
TAKE_IT_BACK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TAKE_IT_BACK
Member since 2008 • 3850 Posts
What I don't get is that when people are arguing about sales, its always PS3 vs 360. Rather then PS# vs 360 vs Wii.
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Its cows fault, since they've been parading sales since 1995. Now that the PS3 isn't doing to well in the numbers department, all of a sudden they want to consider othe circumstances? Damage control at its best. TC needs to stop trying change SW with hypocritical ideals. 

megaton3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 megaton3k
Member since 2007 • 515 Posts

Its cows fault, since they've been parading sales since 1995. Now that the PS3 isn't doing to well in the numbers department, all of a sudden they want to consider othe circumstances? Damage control at its best. TC needs to stop trying change SW with hypocritical ideals. 

Blue-Sky

Seems like you have been living in these forums for way too long. The rest of the world sees different.

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts
[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

megaton3k

Seems like you have been living in these forums for way too long. The rest of the world sees different.

yeah you can tell by my massive post count :roll:

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts
You can play the games, but you can't play the sales and you can't play the scores. But honestly, I don't know how Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm scored anything less than 8.5/10 anywhere.
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FirstDiscovery
Member since 2008 • 5508 Posts
Because the Cows seem to latch onto anything to show the coming doom of the 360
Nirron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Nirron
Member since 2008 • 359 Posts

Because the Cows seem to latch onto anything to show the coming doom of the 360FirstDiscovery

Yes and there was no touting of 360's sales at any point to show the perpetual doom of the PS3.  All fanboys play sales, not just the one you despise.  Wii, 360, or PS3 fanboys all play sales, though oddly enough Wii fanboys seem to get the most heat for it.

I do find it entertaining though when 360/PS3 fanboys foretell the doom of the other console because of a decent gap in sales.  The Xbox and GameCube seemed to last until the end of the last generation, yet they were tens of millions of units behind the PS2.  I doubt a 5-6 million unit gap is going to obliterate either console.

Rafinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rafinator
Member since 2003 • 1063 Posts

you made a BIG mistake:

PS3's RSX was developed by NVidea

360's graphics processor was developed by ATI

IshmaelSonata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 IshmaelSonata
Member since 2008 • 979 Posts
Well your arguement of sale-location correlation is true. However as most gamespot users are Americans, you see why sales figures over the rest of the world isnt important.
tupapi006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tupapi006
Member since 2003 • 2980 Posts

Cows in 2004 We don't care about Graphix Sales is what matters

Cows in 2008 We don't care about sales and we don't care about Graphix we care about games coming out in 4 years from now :?

Cows :?

zkalra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 zkalra
Member since 2002 • 1089 Posts

you made a BIG mistake:

PS3's RSX was developed by NVidea

360's graphics processor was developed by ATI

Rafinator

No dude i believe you are wrong. Check again.

What bothers me though is that I am sure someone there at Sony must have figured out that there are serious fill-rate limitations to their GPU.  If so then why go ahead with the product.  Also I believe the hype about CELL is pretty sad.  I dont think it is the 'supercomputer' that Sony is making it out to be.  I am sure that come next gen, both companies will be keeping a very keen eye out for the specs of the other.  And I am pretty sure that whichever company comes out with the earlier console will probably win again.  

Sony has cited a 10 year active support cycle for the PS3.  I dont know if that is a good idea as Microsoft will probably have the next 2 consoles out by then. 

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Cows in 2004 We don't care about Graphix Sales is what matters

Cows in 2008 We don't care about sales and we don't care about Graphix we care about games coming out in 4 years from now :?

Cows :?

tupapi006

Pointing out the hypocrisy of one side while ignoring the other side- FAILURE. I'm sure the Cows of 2004 and 2008 were the EXACT same people.

On topic, sales numbers are just something else for the fanboys to brag about.