Why should next-gen consoles bother with ray tracing?

  • 63 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for KillzoneSnake
#51 Posted by KillzoneSnake (2464 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@KillzoneSnake said:

Graphics are already more than good so it is just a gimmick. Is ray tracing gonna make a game better? No. Just give me good games.

I'm sorry but have you not seen the reception PS4 games get for being pretty or AAA games in general?...

All graphics are a gimmick by that lose definition you label it with, graphics will keep on improving whether you neanderthals like it or not.

That is why, they are already pretty. Ray tracing is not a selling point, good games will be :) and some of us had enough of the movie games. Time for variety like the PS3 days.

Avatar image for Grey_Eyed_Elf
#52 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6460 posts) -

@KillzoneSnake said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@KillzoneSnake said:

Graphics are already more than good so it is just a gimmick. Is ray tracing gonna make a game better? No. Just give me good games.

I'm sorry but have you not seen the reception PS4 games get for being pretty or AAA games in general?...

All graphics are a gimmick by that lose definition you label it with, graphics will keep on improving whether you neanderthals like it or not.

That is why, they are already pretty. Ray tracing is not a selling point, good games will be :) and some of us had enough of the movie games. Time for variety like the PS3 days.

You don't get it... People expect better graphics with each console launch.

If you are happy with the PS4 then keep the PS4... It will get cross platform games for at least a year or two.

Avatar image for EG101
#53 Posted by EG101 (2010 posts) -

If gaming is ever going to be Photorealistic then Ray Tracing is the only way there.

Avatar image for ronvalencia
#54 Edited by ronvalencia (28096 posts) -

RTX cores has increased Turing GPU size by around 8 percent which can be covered by TSMC's 7nm+ UV 20 percent transistors density improvements,

(RX 5700 XT's 251 mm2 * 1.08) x 0.80 = 216 mm2

Scarlet's APU size is estimated to be around 380 mm2

8 core Zen v2's 70 mm2 + RX 5700 XT's 251 mm2 = 321 mm2

MS can target TU104 size GPU at TSMC's 7nm or 7nm+ UV for Scarlet i.e, larger GPU when compared to RX 5700 XT.

Avatar image for KillzoneSnake
#55 Edited by KillzoneSnake (2464 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@KillzoneSnake said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@KillzoneSnake said:

Graphics are already more than good so it is just a gimmick. Is ray tracing gonna make a game better? No. Just give me good games.

I'm sorry but have you not seen the reception PS4 games get for being pretty or AAA games in general?...

All graphics are a gimmick by that lose definition you label it with, graphics will keep on improving whether you neanderthals like it or not.

That is why, they are already pretty. Ray tracing is not a selling point, good games will be :) and some of us had enough of the movie games. Time for variety like the PS3 days.

You don't get it... People expect better graphics with each console launch.

If you are happy with the PS4 then keep the PS4... It will get cross platform games for at least a year or two.

Good luck with that since PS5 games wont be much of a jump. Ray tracing is not even something the normal Joe will notice. Seems you dont get it lol. Take a look at TLoU2, Horizon, Death Stranding... PS5 will run them at 4K/60 even ray tracing and guess what... they will essentially look the same.

Gotta like compare pics to see the difference... hey look average Joe... notice the light bending? Oh yeah... wow i didn't notice this while playing! xD Its like noticing the difference from Dynamic 4K to native 4K, its just not a big jump.

Avatar image for Grey_Eyed_Elf
#56 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6460 posts) -

@KillzoneSnake said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@KillzoneSnake said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@KillzoneSnake said:

Graphics are already more than good so it is just a gimmick. Is ray tracing gonna make a game better? No. Just give me good games.

I'm sorry but have you not seen the reception PS4 games get for being pretty or AAA games in general?...

All graphics are a gimmick by that lose definition you label it with, graphics will keep on improving whether you neanderthals like it or not.

That is why, they are already pretty. Ray tracing is not a selling point, good games will be :) and some of us had enough of the movie games. Time for variety like the PS3 days.

You don't get it... People expect better graphics with each console launch.

If you are happy with the PS4 then keep the PS4... It will get cross platform games for at least a year or two.

Good luck with that since PS5 games wont be much of a jump. Ray tracing is not even something the normal Joe will notice. Seems you dont get it lol. Take a look at TLoU2, Horizon, Death Stranding... PS5 will run them at 4K/60 even ray tracing and guess what... they will essentially look the same.

Gotta like compare pics to see the difference... hey look average Joe... notice the light bending? Oh yeah... wow i didn't notice this while playing! xD Its like noticing the difference from Dynamic 4K to native 4K, its just not a big jump.

Do you live it a backwards world or something?... Telling me good luck with that as if its my decision, sweet heard both Microsoft and Sony mentioned they will have Ray Tracing on the new consoles has nothing to do with me so take that thumb out your mouth and grow up just enough to survive in this world.

Avatar image for ronvalencia
#57 Edited by ronvalencia (28096 posts) -

@KillzoneSnake said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

You don't get it... People expect better graphics with each console launch.

If you are happy with the PS4 then keep the PS4... It will get cross platform games for at least a year or two.

Good luck with that since PS5 games wont be much of a jump. Ray tracing is not even something the normal Joe will notice. Seems you dont get it lol. Take a look at TLoU2, Horizon, Death Stranding... PS5 will run them at 4K/60 even ray tracing and guess what... they will essentially look the same.

Gotta like compare pics to see the difference... hey look average Joe... notice the light bending? Oh yeah... wow i didn't notice this while playing! xD Its like noticing the difference from Dynamic 4K to native 4K, its just not a big jump.

Who are you?

Microsoft already confirmed "hardware accelerated ray-tracing" for Scarlet.

Sony claimed to "support ray-tracing" for PS5. Sony is only a single step away from confirming "hardware accelerated ray-tracing".

Next year's "RDNA 2" AMD GPUs has Microsoft's hardware accelerated DXR as standard.

PS5 wouldn't be the same as PS4 Pro.

  • NAVI 10 has almost 2X geometry power over RX-580. NAVI 10 is about 3X to 4X geometry power over PS4 Pro.
  • PS5 has +4X CPU power to drive better geometry models when compared to PS4 Pro(slightly less than RX-470).
  • Faster SSD and higher VRAM storage which enables improved artwork quality.
  • NAVI CU has 2X throughput in 64bit (quad packed 16bit RGBA) texture filtering over GCN CU which improved artwork quality. NAVI 10 is about 3X to 4X texture filtering power over PS4 Pro.

Resistance is futile.

Avatar image for KillzoneSnake
#58 Edited by KillzoneSnake (2464 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@KillzoneSnake said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@KillzoneSnake said:

That is why, they are already pretty. Ray tracing is not a selling point, good games will be :) and some of us had enough of the movie games. Time for variety like the PS3 days.

You don't get it... People expect better graphics with each console launch.

If you are happy with the PS4 then keep the PS4... It will get cross platform games for at least a year or two.

Good luck with that since PS5 games wont be much of a jump. Ray tracing is not even something the normal Joe will notice. Seems you dont get it lol. Take a look at TLoU2, Horizon, Death Stranding... PS5 will run them at 4K/60 even ray tracing and guess what... they will essentially look the same.

Gotta like compare pics to see the difference... hey look average Joe... notice the light bending? Oh yeah... wow i didn't notice this while playing! xD Its like noticing the difference from Dynamic 4K to native 4K, its just not a big jump.

Do you live it a backwards world or something?... Telling me good luck with that as if its my decision, sweet heard both Microsoft and Sony mentioned they will have Ray Tracing on the new consoles has nothing to do with me so take that thumb out your mouth and grow up just enough to survive in this world.

I said good luck with PS5 having better graphics... which is why you said people buy consoles... eh have no idea what you even saying to be honest. This ain't the PS2 days when you buy a PS3 and the jump is insane. Im not buying PS5 for graphics, thats for sure. Jump will just be 4K, ray tracing, barely better graphics.

Avatar image for tormentos
#59 Posted by tormentos (29199 posts) -

@ronvalencia said:

Who are you?

Microsoft already confirmed "hardware accelerated ray-tracing" for Scarlet.

Sony claimed to "support ray-tracing" for PS5. Sony is only a single step away from confirming "hardware accelerated ray-tracing".

Next year's "RDNA 2" AMD GPUs has Microsoft's hardware accelerated DXR as standard.

Resistance is futile.

I see you still implying sony has no HB RT like i already told you i would quote you for a year if they confirm it.

And AMD solution is not hardware based alone is a mix, stated by AMD patent,did MS claimed a mix solution like AMD did?

Or just hardware based like RTX which we all know have a huge impact on performance.

Ray tracing is a waisted until gpu makers find a way to make it almost performance hit free.

@EG101 said:

If gaming is ever going to be Photorealistic then Ray Tracing is the only way there.

But now is no where near been penalty free,hell even the 2080RTX ti which is $1,100+ GPU has a huge hit on performance.

Avatar image for ronvalencia
#60 Edited by ronvalencia (28096 posts) -

@tormentos said:
@ronvalencia said:

Who are you?

Microsoft already confirmed "hardware accelerated ray-tracing" for Scarlet.

Sony claimed to "support ray-tracing" for PS5. Sony is only a single step away from confirming "hardware accelerated ray-tracing".

Next year's "RDNA 2" AMD GPUs has Microsoft's hardware accelerated DXR as standard.

Resistance is futile.

I see you still implying sony has no HB RT like i already told you i would quote you for a year if they confirm it.

And AMD solution is not hardware based alone is a mix, stated by AMD patent,did MS claimed a mix solution like AMD did?

Or just hardware based like RTX which we all know have a huge impact on performance.

Ray tracing is a waisted until gpu makers find a way to make it almost performance hit free.

@EG101 said:

If gaming is ever going to be Photorealistic then Ray Tracing is the only way there.

But now is no where near been penalty free,hell even the 2080RTX ti which is $1,100+ GPU has a huge hit on performance.

As it stands, Sony has to confirm hardware accelerated ray-tracing, furthermore NAVI 10 already has superior shader ray-tracing over RX Vega II.

PS; This benchmark doesn't use RTX hardware.

NAVI 10 is already many times faster over PS4 Pro with cheap "raytracing" and NAVI 10 obliterates Turing GTX 1660 Ti (without RT cores).

Like Turing, NAVI 10 is a good GPU base to add hardware accelerated RT cores.

Avatar image for boxrekt
#61 Edited by BoxRekt (1880 posts) -
@KillzoneSnake said:

I said good luck with PS5 having better graphics... which is why you said people buy consoles... eh have no idea what you even saying to be honest. This ain't the PS2 days when you buy a PS3 and the jump is insane. Im not buying PS5 for graphics, thats for sure. Jump will just be 4K, ray tracing, barely better graphics.

You do realize PS5 will have exclusives right?

Kinda throws a monkey wrench in your entire little argument only pointing to PS4 games. Geez, you don't seem to understand what a new generation means.

This is what the difference between graphics of games a looks from one generation to the next.

Looks great right?

And people didn't expect much of a jump up from PS3 gfx this gen except...

This happened!

THIS is the difference of a next gen exclusive in graphics!

By your logic I guess they can just port these graphics over from PS4 to the PS3 as well huh?

Good luck to you ever playing PS5 exclusive games with a similar graphical leap over PS4 like what's shown here against PS3.

Avatar image for KillzoneSnake
#62 Edited by KillzoneSnake (2464 posts) -

@boxrekt said:
@KillzoneSnake said:

I said good luck with PS5 having better graphics... which is why you said people buy consoles... eh have no idea what you even saying to be honest. This ain't the PS2 days when you buy a PS3 and the jump is insane. Im not buying PS5 for graphics, thats for sure. Jump will just be 4K, ray tracing, barely better graphics.

You do realize PS5 will have exclusives right?

Kinda throws a monkey wrench in your entire little argument only pointing to PS4 games. Geez, you don't seem to understand what a new generation means.

This is what the difference between graphics of games a looks from one generation to the next.

Looks great right?

And people didn't expect much of a jump up from PS3 gfx this gen except...

This happened!

THIS is the difference of a next gen exclusive in graphics!

By your logic I guess they can just port these graphics over from PS4 to the PS3 as well huh?

Good luck to you ever playing PS5 exclusive games with a similar graphical leap over PS4 like what's shown here against PS3.

We kinda already know the specs of PS5 more or less. I think you people are living in the past when graphics jumps were massive, these days are done. PS2 to PS3 was massive, just look at San Andreas to GTAV. PS3 to PS4 was decent. Next gen is even less noticeable... just like resolution increases are less noticeable as well. Going from SD to 720p was like oh snap! Going from 1080p to 4K is like... oh yeah... i do notice a little bit only up close! LOL

Take the PS4 Pro for example. 2016 console, still pretty expensive in 2019 at $350+... take the best looking game Horizon, runs at 1440p upscaled 30 FPS. How much more can PS5 do? The same graphics 2160p at 60 FPS? Throw ray tracing on top and it will eat all remaining power. Basically the same graphics just better lighting, runs smoother... its cool and all, just not a big deal. To the average Joe who doesn't post over here and dedicates his life to gaming he wont care. He will care about good games and that is it.

At 30FPS maybe PS5 can deliver a little bit better looking games lol

Avatar image for ronvalencia
#63 Edited by ronvalencia (28096 posts) -

@tormentos said:
@ronvalencia said:

Who are you?

Microsoft already confirmed "hardware accelerated ray-tracing" for Scarlet.

Sony claimed to "support ray-tracing" for PS5. Sony is only a single step away from confirming "hardware accelerated ray-tracing".

Next year's "RDNA 2" AMD GPUs has Microsoft's hardware accelerated DXR as standard.

Resistance is futile.

I see you still implying sony has no HB RT like i already told you i would quote you for a year if they confirm it.

And AMD solution is not hardware based alone is a mix, stated by AMD patent,did MS claimed a mix solution like AMD did?

Or just hardware based like RTX which we all know have a huge impact on performance.

Ray tracing is a waisted until gpu makers find a way to make it almost performance hit free.

@EG101 said:

If gaming is ever going to be Photorealistic then Ray Tracing is the only way there.

But now is no where near been penalty free,hell even the 2080RTX ti which is $1,100+ GPU has a huge hit on performance.

AMD's RT patent is dated from 2017 which is old.

AMD's official road map.

AMD officially claims hardware accelerated ray-tracing i.e. "hardware acceleration" with "Next Gen RDNA"

"RDNA 2" arrives before year 2021.