Why really does the PS3 sells less then wii and 360...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

beganoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 beganoo
Member since 2009 • 1642 Posts

The price ofc but theres something else that I think alot of people are missing.

Piracy.

The only console on the market where piracy is completely out of the question is the PS3.Do not be fooled,there are a huge amount of pirates in the world which whould prefer a console on which they can play for free.

It may not be like that in US or UK for example but there are alot of countires where less then half of the console owners actually pay for games and "can it be hacked" is a main selling point.

The PS3 is not by any means worst then the 360 or wii,its just for more honest people in a way.

Hopefully next gen will be 100% hack free and we'll see who wins then! :>

P.S. Btw thats is just my opinion on the matter.Theres nothing official or anything like that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
I disagree with your findings. See PSP vs. DS.
Rigga911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Rigga911
Member since 2008 • 2429 Posts
Its actually because the Wii is the only good console this generation and there are a couple more fanboys that want the 360 instead of the ps3
agff9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 agff9
Member since 2006 • 514 Posts
I have no doubt that next xbox will not be 100% hack free. Why ? MS readed this topic :P
fbigent34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 fbigent34
Member since 2007 • 2389 Posts
how does a console be more honest? and to answer your rant/question 1. price 2. not enough user base compare to others 3. you can get pretty much about the same games on 360 twice less than ps3. ps3 took out bc people are not happy about it. there is your reasons
lusitanogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 lusitanogamer
Member since 2006 • 9338 Posts
I agree. Unfortunately, piracy plays a major role in what console sells the most in certain parts of the world.
DBhova23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DBhova23
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts
I agree. Unfortunately, piracy plays a major role in what console sells the most in certain parts of the world.lusitanogamer
and where the dont care to play online when they get banned
TX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#8 TX360
Member since 2008 • 4051 Posts
Its actually because the Wii is the only good console this generation and there are a couple more fanboys that want the 360 instead of the ps3Rigga911
Your joking right the wii has the least powerful hardware and worst game libary sorry try again.
LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts
I disagree with your findings. See PSP vs. DS.Jandurin
What is there to be seen? Both the DS and the PSP can be hacked rather easily.
_rpg_FAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 _rpg_FAN
Member since 2005 • 1418 Posts

1. price

2. price

3. price

4. games (its bether lately but still not worth price)

5. price?

and pirates may push units but companies actualy loose money on hardware units they want to sell games thats how they get profit

beganoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 beganoo

[QUOTE="lusitanogamer"]I agree. Unfortunately, piracy plays a major role in what console sells the most in certain parts of the world.DBhova23
and where the dont care to play online when they get banned

Well,they just play online with PC on pirate servers and use the consoles for the many many great singleplayer games.

Avatar image for Master-Thief-09
Master-Thief-09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12 Master-Thief-09
Member since 2009 • 2534 Posts
I disagree with your findings. See PSP vs. DS.Jandurin
It's easier to pirate on DS. But you can do more with a hacked PSP.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
[QUOTE="Jandurin"]I disagree with your findings. See PSP vs. DS.Master-Thief-09

The second part was my main point. The other part of my point was... to my knowledge the PSP was hacked First. Like, significantly first.
Avatar image for Master-Thief-09
Master-Thief-09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14 Master-Thief-09
Member since 2009 • 2534 Posts
[QUOTE="Master-Thief-09"][QUOTE="Jandurin"]I disagree with your findings. See PSP vs. DS.Jandurin

The second part was my main point. The other part of my point was... to my knowledge the PSP was hacked First. Like, significantly first.

Yeah it was, but any average Joe can pirate on DS now. Newer PSP's are a lot more difficult to hack. I expect DSi to fix some problems, but with the SD slot people with do something else.
beganoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 beganoo
Not talking about overall money urned but just the console units sold.And the price price price is not the factor everywhere.In some regions people will pay much more for the console if they know they wont spend money on games.Ofc that is not the case with the ps3 since the consoles that can be hacked are cheaper.
johnlennon28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 johnlennon28
Member since 2008 • 2158 Posts
I know some people whos been itching to buy a ps3 but refuses to do so because theyre still waiting for the pirates
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#17 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30573 Posts
Software sales desagrees with your logic.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#18 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Its actually because the Wii is the only good console this generation and there are a couple more fanboys that want the 360 instead of the ps3Rigga911

Says the Wii fanboy... I own all 3 consoles this gen, and the wii is far from THE ONLY GOOD CONSOLE THIS GEN.

I personally think each console this gen has some negative things and some positive things about them. Pretty even this gen imo.

pcbm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 pcbm
Member since 2003 • 611 Posts
Wii is the best console this gen!!! PS3 is cool too! Yay Pizza!
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
wouldn't the ps3 have more software sales than the wii and 360 if the difference was just pirates?
taker42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 taker42
Member since 2007 • 1614 Posts
Well the only thing I can think of is that the PS2 was pirated heavily. This could then lead to its very healthy sales which leads to more game selections, which leads to increased piracy and so on. /shrug
ekalbtwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ekalbtwin
Member since 2007 • 1044 Posts
pirates might make a two to three miillon unit mark, not enough to bring the PS3 to the number one or even number two spot. For me, the factors that led me to get a 360 instead were1- my wife likes the x box better 2-it has most of the same games to be found on PS3 and 3- I don't care for MGS in general so its one BIG game is a no buy for me. I paid 5 bucks for MGS2 and it was barely worth it.
taker42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 taker42
Member since 2007 • 1614 Posts
wouldn't the ps3 have more software sales than the wii and 360 if the difference was just pirates?Ontain
Not really. The difference in console sales between the 3 of them are pretty big while most games these days sell ard 1-2 million with only the heavy hitters reaching more than that. Even if piracy is affecting the software sales of the 360 and the Wii, it's pretty hard to tell.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#24 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
It's a price issue. Period.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
[QUOTE="Ontain"]wouldn't the ps3 have more software sales than the wii and 360 if the difference was just pirates?taker42
Not really. The difference in console sales between the 3 of them are pretty big while most games these days sell ard 1-2 million with only the heavy hitters reaching more than that. Even if piracy is affecting the software sales of the 360 and the Wii, it's pretty hard to tell.

I'm not talking specific game sales. i'm talking over all market. since the ps3 software sales are quite a bit lower than the wii and 360 I can only assume that piracy is not a big reason why the ps3 is losing badly in hardware sales.
1xcalibur1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 1xcalibur1
Member since 2008 • 442 Posts
I actually disagree here. Only third world countries is where hacked consoles count. I live in such place lol. This is all due to EXTREMELY high taxes on electronics. For instance, myself has bought my launch PS3 at rate close to 1200(!!!) dollars. A newly released PS3 game costs here a whopping 110(!!!!!!) dollars. That's a complete rip-off, isnt it? Over 90% of all PS2 consoles here are chipped. There are also some shops that sell burned games right in the open. PSP is alot more fans' favorite here than the DS. Also 360 is selling better because it's hackable. The difference is most definitely in the price. I buy all my games from outside the country. Luckily they hardly ever go through customes over here.
beganoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 beganoo

pirates might make a two to three miillon unit mark, not enough to bring the PS3 to the number one or even number two spot. For me, the factors that led me to get a 360 instead were1- my wife likes the x box better 2-it has most of the same games to be found on PS3 and 3- I don't care for MGS in general so its one BIG game is a no buy for me. I paid 5 bucks for MGS2 and it was barely worth it. ekalbtwin

I don't agree.From what I've seen and heared over the years console piracy is quite big.There is no way for exact number to be given but its alot then 3 mils.

thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#28 thekey
Member since 2003 • 5097 Posts
Are you kidding me? The Wii is the worst exscuse of a console in gaming history. The Wii is a child's toy, the 360 is a working failure, and the PS3 is a man's console. It has everything built in. The games that take advantage of the PS3's hardware look like the greatest thing ever that ever lived. And it will have the longest life cycle out of the BIG 3. in 2015 the PS3 will still have life left in it. The 360 will be the 720 or Xbox 3(Or what ever) And the Wii will be either land fill or availble at thriftshops for 99 cents.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
[QUOTE="Rigga911"]Its actually because the Wii is the only good console this generation and there are a couple more fanboys that want the 360 instead of the ps3thekey
Are you kidding me? The Wii is the worst exscuse of a console in gaming history. The Wii is a child's toy, the 360 is a working failure, and the PS3 is a man's console. It has everything built in. The games that take advantage of the PS3's hardware look like the greatest thing ever that ever lived. And it will have the longest life cycle out of the BIG 3. in 2015 the PS3 will still have life left in it. The 360 will be the 720 or Xbox 3(Or what ever) And the Wii will be either land fill or availble at thriftshops for 99 cents.

Your whole post is hilarious. Congrats. I especially liked "a man's console"
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts
If the PS3 is "100% piracy proof", why are software sales so much higher on the "not piracy proof" competition? AKA if people are buying Wiis and 360s to pirate games, shouldn't the PS3 be the only system selling software? It doesn't hold up - people aren't avoiding the PS3 because it's "piracy proof" (I have no idea if that's even true - I doubt anything is "piracy proof") people are avoiding it because it's too expensive. - The PS3 is the most expensive console on the market - it's too pricey for many wealthy nations to want - now you think about countries where the pricetag of a console is five, ten, fifteen times higher than it is in the US, and you've found your answer on the lack of sales.
fbigent34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 fbigent34
[QUOTE="Rigga911"] Your joking right the wii has the least powerful hardware and worst game libary sorry try again.TX360
what is with you people in power? power dosent make a game look at ps2 least power and still won last gen. and its opioion base if he likes the games on wii better than 360./ps3 what is wrong with that?

[QUOTE="Rigga911"]Its actually because the Wii is the only good console this generation and there are a couple more fanboys that want the 360 instead of the ps3kozzy1234

Says the Wii fanboy... I own all 3 consoles this gen, and the wii is far from THE ONLY GOOD CONSOLE THIS GEN.

I personally think each console this gen has some negative things and some positive things about them. Pretty even this gen imo.

Just cause someone say he likes the wii better dosent make him a fanboy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Just cause someone say he likes the wii better dosent make him a fanboy. fbigent34
.... It sure is indicative, though.
beganoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 beganoo

I actually disagree here. Only third world countries is where hacked consoles count. I live in such place lol. This is all due to EXTREMELY high taxes on electronics. For instance, myself has bought my launch PS3 at rate close to 1200(!!!) dollars. A newly released PS3 game costs here a whopping 110(!!!!!!) dollars. That's a complete rip-off, isnt it? Over 90% of all PS2 consoles here are chipped. There are also some shops that sell burned games right in the open. PSP is alot more fans' favorite here than the DS. Also 360 is selling better because it's hackable. The difference is most definitely in the price. I buy all my games from outside the country. Luckily they hardly ever go through customes over here.1xcalibur1

Same here altho i really hate the expresion "third world country" :P.

Anyways here everything sells exactly as much as in US. 110$ for a game!? I would never pay as much for a single game and I daubt most americans will for that matter.Where the hell are you from mate?

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2086 Posts

[QUOTE="ekalbtwin"]pirates might make a two to three miillon unit mark, not enough to bring the PS3 to the number one or even number two spot. For me, the factors that led me to get a 360 instead were1- my wife likes the x box better 2-it has most of the same games to be found on PS3 and 3- I don't care for MGS in general so its one BIG game is a no buy for me. I paid 5 bucks for MGS2 and it was barely worth it. beganoo

I don't agree.From what I've seen and heared over the years console piracy is quite big.There is no way for exact number to be given but its alot then 3 mils.

console piracy has previously been a major problem but the latest gen its an annoyance at best its not like ps1 +2 which basically everyone had chipped, in the uk its not worth the time simply because MS detects you and then bans your console its the same with the US and anywhere else where online gaming via xboxlive is available, so in reality piracy is nowhere near as prevalent as it has been previously, 3million is probably too generous of a number this gen I mean its only prevalent in regions where the yearly sales are hardly worth mentioning.
fbigent34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 fbigent34
[QUOTE="fbigent34"]Just cause someone say he likes the wii better dosent make him a fanboy. Jandurin
.... It sure is indicative, though.

yea but they jump on him right away calling him fanboy when in fact i sold my 360 cause i couldn't find any games that i like from that system. and i stay with a wii. the wii is more of my personally taste. games nintendo has games i enjoy. so do some thrid partry support do. So i know system dosent have common sense but atleast some do. :P depands on what console and which game you perfer.
player_leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 player_leo
Member since 2002 • 1483 Posts
One reason the Xbox got hacked is because M$ was glotting that the 360 could not be hacked which ruffled the hacker community's feathers a bit. They came out in force and within a week the xbox360 was hacked. They can do the same with Blu-ray and the PS3. But it would be expensive and not worth the effort seeing how you can run Linux on the PS3.
Avatar image for Love_Hina_Lover
Love_Hina_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Love_Hina_Lover
Member since 2002 • 4381 Posts

The price ofc but theres something else that I think alot of people are missing.

Piracy.

The only console on the market where piracy is completely out of the question is the PS3.Do not be fooled,there are a huge amount of pirates in the world which whould prefer a console on which they can play for free.

It may not be like that in US or UK for example but there are alot of countires where less then half of the console owners actually pay for games and "can it be hacked" is a main selling point.

The PS3 is not by any means worst then the 360 or wii,its just for more honest people in a way.

P.S. Btw thats is just my opinion on the matter.Theres nothing official or anything like that.

beganoo
Your opinion is wrong
beganoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 beganoo
[QUOTE="beganoo"]

Piracy.

Love_Hina_Lover

Your opinion is wrong

Atleast you could of said something that would make my opinion look wrong.

Anyway my opinion is that piracy is one of the things that make ps3 unpopular in some regions.Not that its the main reason for lack of purchases but a big one.I guess the topic title may be some what misleading,sorry if it is.

Anyway if you think piracy has absolutely nothing to do with ps3 falling behind your opinion is the one thats wrong.

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts
PS3 has the least mainstream games. And we all know in these days mainstream = something the most idiots will buy.
xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
You're kidding right? please tell me you're kidding.
Keep-the-Faith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Keep-the-Faith
Member since 2009 • 841 Posts

Q: Why really does the PS3 sells less then wii and 360

A: Its the PS3. Take from taht what you will.

Avatar image for deactivated-652663614c5e5
deactivated-652663614c5e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-652663614c5e5
Member since 2005 • 2271 Posts
i still think that around 80% of the issue is the price. i cant really see any other eason other than simply not wanting the PS3.
habkeinbock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 habkeinbock
Member since 2009 • 1189 Posts

must be true ! i mean if the ps3 is so good why nobody wants it ? :o

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

unnecessary (and expensive) features?

bbeastieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 bbeastieboy
Member since 2005 • 84 Posts

I currently have ony a Wii as far as home consoles go, and I used to have a 360.

There are a few reasons why I would buy a 360 again and not a PS3. First off, it's way cheaper. Being a university student, money isn't the most available thing right now and I'm sure most of you post-secondary gamers could agree with this. Secondly, and this is just pure personal choice, I much prefer Xbox Live over the Playstation network or whatever it is. I'd rather pay $70 a year to play online becase I know it's always been stable and the games I play(ed) always had competition waiting. I also like the 360 dashboard better, and the actual physical design is more appealing to me (can't stand playing a friend's PS3 and trying to turn it on with the annoying touch-sensitive console buttons). I like the 360 controller a LOT more too (better control stick placement and trigger button placement imo). I just feel like the 360 is much more sleek, plus I had an original Xbox and not a PS3 so I guess you can call me a fanboy if you prefer.

Another selling point of the PS3 is the Blu-ray player in it. I have 100% no need for a bluray player at all, DVDs are easier to pirate and my television wouldnt benefit from bluray quality anyways.

I've always been a core Nintendo fan though which explains the Wii. Softmodded it so I have the entire NES and SNES library, and the favorite series are up to date on my console (Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Smash, Mariokart). These games are just too fun for me. Most of the time I'd rather play Gears of War 2 or Halo 3 online but I'm fine with the Wii for now waiting for more FPS, which seems like forever[please dont tell me there are plenty of your PS3/360, I already know]).

MY INPUT ^^^^^^^^^^^