why people say that Uncharted's gameplay is bad?

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

- I see many people saying that Uncharted games are all QTE, even though they have none.

- They say Uncharted is a movie, even though its cut-scenes are pretty short.

- Some say the shooting mechanics are bad but in what way?

- Others say that its puzzles suck because they are too easy, but they are harder than every puzzle you can find in a Zelda game, and people seem to love those.

- Many even dare to say that its multiplayer suck when it reality it was well made and many reviewers praised it. Bungie and Infinity Ward gave feedback and helped to shape the multiplayer of this series too.

- And then the biggest lie of all: Uncharted games are easy games because they are scripted from start to finish. Maybe they never tried playing it on harder difficulties? Because I admit Uncharted games have become easier with each new iteration but on Crushing mode this series is pretty challenging compared to most modern games. The first Uncharted game on Crushing was and still is a very frustrating game.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Gue1 said:

- I see many people saying that Uncharted games are all QTE, even though they have none.

Okay, it's a bad sign when your first point is wrong

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Those people have either never played it, are just trying to get to you or both.

The biggest issue with multiplayer in Naughty Dog games is that they tend not to fix glitches that people take advantage of. If everyone on the server is playing the way it was meant to be played, then the match will be a lot of fun.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I've only ever played the first uncharted before, I liked it but the game play seemed very generic, I never felt the need to buy the sequels

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

The only one I've played is UC2 and I really found it repetitive. Small scale set pieces, mediocre platforming parts, uninspired combat, dull puzzles, awful spawning of enemies. I loved the cinematic parts, some of the best I've seen consoles and to put into perspective (as parts are sorta similar) I HATED the gears series and I've never played any UC MP.

EDIT repetitive might be the wrong word, I just didn't find the gameplay inspiring enough to excite me.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#6 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic: Which TPS games are you a fan of?

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I like the games. Shooters are kind of hard to play on the sixaxis, but that's Sony's fault, not Naughty Dog's.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

lol tilt controller to aim grenades lol

lol bullet sponge enemies lol

lol shooters on a DS3 lol

lol uncharted multiplayer lol

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

First one was pretty good. It defnitely feels like an early gen game and the ambitions were higher than what was achieved.

the second one was among the best tps action-adventures, I played last gen.

Did'nt play the third since I ended up getting rid of both my ps3 and 360.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lostrib

@mems_1224 said:

Oh that was an off idea, glad they removed it in UC2

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@Blabadon said:

Not a genre a love i have to be honest, trying off the top of my head to think of some. FPS's seem to be much more my thing. Can I include ME cos that was the tits?

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

It's not bad at all, but i never felt it was that great either. The 3rd person shooting, the puzzles and platforming bits where good and helped with what i thought was the best part of the game. The story and sense of advneture. Despite the game's linearity, but i get that.

I didn't play the multiplayer, but i can't imagine it being that amazing anyway (watched some videos right now actually, and it looked good, but nothing spectacular). I didn't feel the shooting was good enough to make it awesome when pvping.

EDIT: On the other hand, i was playing a shooter with a controller. While i have gotten better over time, going back to playing mouse and keyboard just makes the exprience worse when i go back to analogs.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Blabadon

@blue_hazy_basic: Yeah, yeah, fair enough. Mass Effect of course counts, that is a straight up TPS lol.

Gonna be TLoU'ing on your PS4 soon?

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@Blabadon said:

@blue_hazy_basic: Yeah, yeah, fair enough. Mass Effect of course counts, that is a straight up TPS lol.

Gonna be TLoU'ing on your PS4 soon?

Might wait for a sale on it at some point on amazon or something, but I definately want to play it. Huge backlog before steam sales so now ....

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

The gameplay is not bad... Its Ambitious but executed in the most average way possible.... But cows can't handle critism so they hear the word "bad" instead. So I say screw it... The Gameplay is bad.

FYI I'm talking about all the Uncharted games, not just the 1st one.

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

@lostrib said:

@Gue1 said:

There hasn't been a single QTE in any Uncharted game. Please enlighten us.

You're fucking wrong..

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

Copious amounts of jelly.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Think Uncharted has overall solid gameplay and ND are great at crafting various set pieces which still allow you to be in control. Enemies can be a bit bullet-spongy and stealth is kind of awkward at times. But overall if you run/climb around and take advantage of the levels the shootouts are very enjoyable. On higher difficulties you need to play a bit more defensive which makes the game less fun imo.

The puzzles are quite easy, but I think that's suitable for a game like Uncharted. A difficult puzzle would have hurt the pacing. The goal of the puzzles is to make you stop and think for a bit and to provide something visually cool.

People who claim UC has bad gameplay are either fanboys or they haven't played a lot of TPS games.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lostrib

@pyratrum said:

@lostrib said:

@Gue1 said:

There hasn't been a single QTE in any Uncharted game. Please enlighten us.

You're fucking wrong..

To beat the final boss in UC1 you have to engage in a quick time event. And in UC2 if you get tackled by the temple guards or lazarevic it triggers a quick time even to escape.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

mems_1224 the thread.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

people just trying to hate, yeah that sound like a typical cow damage control statement. BUT thats really wat it is. its no secret that people hate on Uncharted becuz of its success, and they try to find something to bash the game on, so they go for the department of gameplay becuz gameplay is something that generally falls on opinions. Graphics, performances (both in single player and multiplayer), features, etc all those things are factual and have evidence. Gameplay... thats an individual experience and how you make of it. (Of course it can have awful game play due to shitty control, shitty A.I., shitty camera, shitty design, shitty bosses, shitty combat and abilities, shitty pacing, fucking loadings, glitches, hacking, etc. BUT notice how no one has said any of that about Uncharted....? Anyone could say the same thing about any game's gameplay, "Oh its boring" "Oh its amazing" "Oh its good, but nothing spectacular", but is that fact or opinion?

no body in this thread presented any real arguments to show that it has bad gameplay. I just see a bunch opinions about how they feel about it.

Im not saying it has amazing gameplay, its just a very standard yet very polished very smooth gameplay and very satisfying.

Comments like "I find it uninspiring" are just ass wipes who are trying to make themselves look like they are monarchs of gaming and can only be bothered with exquisite premium finely crafted elite status gameplay.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@Blabadon said:

Not a genre a love i have to be honest, trying off the top of my head to think of some. FPS's seem to be much more my thing. Can I include ME cos that was the tits?

Max Payne is still my favorite TPS.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@Blabadon said:

Max Payne is still my favorite TPS.

The shooting in all the Max Payne games has always been incredibly satisfying.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

my only complaint is the clunky aiming that magnifies the bullet sponge enemies. if uncharted games aimed like watchdogs, sleeping dogs, tomb raider or gears, the game would be soo much better

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic said:

The only one I've played is UC2 and I really found it repetitive. Small scale set pieces, mediocre platforming parts, uninspired combat, dull puzzles, awful spawning of enemies. I loved the cinematic parts, some of the best I've seen consoles and to put into perspective (as parts are sorta similar) I HATED the gears series and I've never played any UC MP.

EDIT repetitive might be the wrong word, I just didn't find the gameplay inspiring enough to excite me.

All of this PLUS it's linear and scripted as hell. When you throw the cliche tomb raider/indiana jones thing on top of it all it's just too much.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@Gue1 said:

- Others say that its puzzles suck because they are too easy, but they are harder than every puzzle you can find in a Zelda game, and people seem to love those.

- Many even dare to say that its multiplayer suck when it reality it was well made and many reviewers praised it. Bungie and Infinity Ward gave feedback and helped create the multiplayer of this series too.

- And then the biggest lie of all: Uncharted games are easy games because they are scripted from start to finish. Maybe they never tried playing it on harder difficulties? Because I admit Uncharted games have become easier with each new iteration but on Crushing mode this series is pretty challenging compared to most modern games. The first Uncharted game on Crushing was and still is a very frustrating game.

Loading Video...

Um if you think the Uncharted series doesn't have QTE's then you may not have been playing Uncharted.

The platforming is the biggest issue to me. I'm not a fan of just mashing a single button and watching my character on screen performing amazing acrobatic maneuvers with precision. That's not challenging or fun for the player.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Blabadon

@lostrib: Also in the first Uncharted, on the last level, you need to hit O to avoid a small boat falling on you. This is the third QTE in the game.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@GoldenElementXL said:

@Gue1 said:

- Many even dare to say that its multiplayer suck when it reality it was well made and many reviewers praised it. Bungie and Infinity Ward gave feedback and helped create the multiplayer of this series too.

Loading Video...

Um if you think the Uncharted series doesn't have QTE's then you may not have been playing Uncharted.

The platforming is the biggest issue to me. I'm not a fan of just mashing a single button and watching my character on screen performing amazing acrobatic maneuvers with precision. That's not challenging or fun for the player.

It's a shooter, I don't know how they could enable platforming in a non context sensitive way, especially in regards to competitive multiplayer.

I've always enjoyed Uncharted's focus on vertical gameplay, something the gears franchise has traditionally lacked considerably. I never played uc3 but damn I had some fun with UC2's MP, the fact you were so acrobatic was a game changer, it wasn't just about waist high cover.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#30 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@Gue1 said:

This is the biggest load of bullshit that's ever come from you and that's saying something.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lulu_Lulu

Also the Puzzles weren't particularly clever, you'd get stuck because they hid an element of the puzzle in an entirely different room, you can see this alot in The Last Of Us... The puzzles weren't really puzzles, it was just an Obstacle with a missing piece that you have to search aimlessly fore because the level was designed to reward brute force, not cleverness.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

Turn that off?

Play on an easier difficulty? (and don't play Gears or Vanquish or any other TPS where enemies also take a lot of hits)

Yeah, DS3 is a poor controller.

The multiplayer is actually really fun. The only PS3 shooter worth playing online.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#34  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

@Gue1 said:

The cutscenes maybe short, but the amount of times control is taken out of the player's hands to make the pacing more cinematic (walk and talk scenes) becomes tedious after one play through. I foresee this problem especially with The Order 1886.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#36 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I generally don't like cover based shooting mechanics, but the ones in the Uncharted games are particularly poor because the aiming feels weird and enemies are bullet spongy which makes killing them unsatisfying. The platforming was also extremely limited. I did enjoy the puzzles though for the most part. The levels that combined puzzles and platforming were always the best parts of the games for me (well apart from the uber-scripted set pieces).

Its not so much that it has bad gameplay, it just has very generic and limited gameplay. Tomb Raider absolutely curb stomps Uncharted in the gameplay department and IMO that is the most important part of any game.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Its too shallow and killing the same humans in different clothing gets tiresome. ND need to step up their shit and make this game with proper exploration. No need to be open world but be more like the first Tomb Raider games on ps1

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@silversix_ said:

Its too shallow and killing the same humans in different clothing gets tiresome. ND need to step up their shit and make this game with proper exploration. No need to be open world but be more like the first Tomb Raider games on ps1

For next gen, I agree it needs to open up at least a bit. I don't mind samey sequels within the same gen, but when a series moves to a new more powerful system it should step up it's gameplay too.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Lulu_Lulu

@silversix_

Those were old and terrible, I'd rather they go the way of Legend and Anniversary.

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

Non ps3 owners say that. It's the jelly talking.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@with_teeth26 said:

I generally don't like cover based shooting mechanics, but the ones in the Uncharted games are particularly poor because the aiming feels weird and enemies are bullet spongy which makes killing them unsatisfying. The platforming was also extremely limited. I did enjoy the puzzles though for the most part. The levels that combined puzzles and platforming were always the best parts of the games for me (well apart from the uber-scripted set pieces).

Its not so much that it has bad gameplay, it just has very generic and limited gameplay. Tomb Raider absolutely curb stomps Uncharted in the gameplay department and IMO that is the most important part of any game.

Tomb raider plays just like Uncharted. It's obvious to see they were very inspired by ND when developing that reboot, the only real differences are the incredibly poor implementation of a metroid like interconnected world which you fast travel through anyway.

The biggest sacrilege that game committed however was relegating the tomb raiding to small cavernous areas as side missions.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@amazonangry said:

Non ps3 owners say that. It's the jelly talking.

Nope,even PS3 owners say it without any jelly

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

IMO, UC1 was fun as shit. After that though, the series kind of just repeated itself

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#44 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Uncharted does have QTE's, but they are not exactly intrusive. I liked Uncharted 2 a lot, never played any of the other ones though. UC2 was just... amazing.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

For the same reason people say Gears gameplay is bad, or Mario Galaxy gameplay is bad. Its fine if someone legitimately doesn't like how a game plays, but a lot of the criticism is just fanboys being fanboys.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Lulu_Lulu

@ReadingRainbow4

Not really... In Tomb Raider headshots stick, enemies are not as smart but are far more agressive and the platforming is alot more consistant.

Plus the few puzzles that were there were executed quite nicely. The stealth was absolute trash though.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#47  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@clone01 said:

For the same reason people say Gears gameplay is bad, or Mario Galaxy gameplay is bad. Its fine if someone legitimately doesn't like how a game plays, but a lot of the criticism is just fanboys being fanboys.

I don't think I've actually ever heard anyone ever say Mario Galaxy's gameplay is bad.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ReadingRainbow4

Not really... In Tomb Raider headshots stick, enemies are not as smart but are far more agressive and the platforming is alot more consistant.

Plus the few puzzles that were there were executed quite nicely. The stealth was absolute trash though.

The platforming was terrible in Tomb raider as well, all you did was press a context sensitive key against a very obvious climbable surface..

The puzzles were also absolute drivel.

UC2 had a much more interesting setting however, overall a much prettier game.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46188 Posts

@with_teeth26 said:

I somewhat agree. It seems like Uncharted trades off gameplay for a more cinematic experience.

Like for example the platforming is just: follow the yellow line to your destination. It's not platforming at all really.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@Gue1: When some of the sheeps/lems saying to you that UC has crappy gameplay ask them a question. Ask them to name you a better gameplay game under same genre than UC overall , in every aspect. And that ends the conversations because they cant come up with something therefore for its genre UC is as good as all other games around or even better when you see the whole package.

So , let the haters hate. Talking about cinematic presentations are crappy and gameplay is all that matters....and then all sheeps shit their pants with Zelda Wii U E3 trailer which was an ...in game cinematic like presentation !! I mean , the hypocrisy to max !