Why PC is better then a console, CHOICE!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#251 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

Any OS running on any circuit board is not a platform.

ZombieKiller7

Correct. However, a given instruction set, protocols for interconnected hardware, and APIs to support development do together constitute a platform.

Then you might as well call your platform "technology" because every circuit board and every device in the world is using the same loose confederation of standards.

No. For instance, despite sharing a common architecture, it's very easy to yell the difference between iOS and Android as platforms. They have very different APIs and networked services, such that code written for one won't work without some sort of intermediary.
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#252 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] Correct. However, a given instruction set, protocols for interconnected hardware, and APIs to support development do together constitute a platform.lowe0

Then you might as well call your platform "technology" because every circuit board and every device in the world is using the same loose confederation of standards.

No. For instance, despite sharing a common architecture, it's very easy to yell the difference between iOS and Android as platforms. They have very different APIs and networked services, such that code written for one won't work without some sort of intermediary.

Windows, Linux and Mac are all "PC"

iPads are PC's too. Tablet PC's. And droid tablet PC's. And Surface. etc etc

Where's the platform?

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#253 lowe0

ZombieKiller7

Where's the platform?

Depends on how you build your software stack. You can develop to a specific set of middleware that makes it easier to deploy across multiple operating systems, or even skip the underlying system altogether and use something like Java that's practically a platform of its own.
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254 ZombieKiller7

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] No. For instance, despite sharing a common architecture, it's very easy to yell the difference between iOS and Android as platforms. They have very different APIs and networked services, such that code written for one won't work without some sort of intermediary. lowe0

Where's the platform?

Depends on how you build your software stack. You can develop to a specific set of middleware that makes it easier to deploy across multiple operating systems, or even skip the underlying system altogether and use something like Java that's practically a platform of its own.

Pretty much.

I stand by my original statement.

"Digital is universal" is what I've been repeating for as long as I can remember, it just sails past everybody's head as they howl their displeasure at some imaginary "competing platform" that probably uses most of the same API and hardware.

There are no platforms.

There is stronger hardware, weaker hardware, and proprietary hardware limitations related to nothing but the market. One should, in theory, easily be able to run Windows on an Xbox, or iOS on a PS3.

So what's this "PC vs Console" bullschit?

A console is an HTPC.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255 lowe0

Where's the platform?

ZombieKiller7

Pretty much.

I stand by my original statement.

"Digital is universal" is what I've been repeating for as long as I can remember, it just sails past everybody's head as they howl their displeasure at some imaginary "competing platform" that probably uses most of the same API and hardware.

There are no platforms.

There is stronger hardware, weaker hardware, and proprietary hardware limitations related to nothing but the market. One should, in theory, easily be able to run Windows on an Xbox, or iOS on a PS3.

So what's this "PC vs Console" bullschit?

A console is an HTPC.

Digital has hardly made everything universal. Money still pays for content to be made, and so business realities will still prevail over interoperability.
sakura_Ex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256 sakura_Ex
Member since 2007 • 3066 Posts
F**k PC gaming.
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="Sailor_Enlil"]

Dumb question. A PC is supposed to be, by original purpose, a Business Machine. One used in the office for office work (eg Word Processing, Spreadsheets, Presentations, Database, etc). A Console is an entertainment system - something for Video Games, Movies, etc. (the extra stuff it can do now, like web surfing, video streaming, etc, are purely extras). So it's apples-to-oranges comparison.

Sailor_Enlil

I'm sorry but my PC is way more of a entertaiment machine then any console. It's a fact that it's way more complet system then your console.

Good luck convincing my parents that. They love movies, but never had it in their mind to use a PC for it (they watch it on a traditional DVD player). Me? I watch movies on my PS3 as it can truely display 1080p very beautifully on my 42" TV; I really tried to do the same with my PC, but it never came out looking good at 1080p - too grainy or wrong aspect/size; and even videos looked awful (my PC's graphics only look good on the TV at 1366x768, and I must use VGA, not HDMI, which looks terrible coming from the PC). They only time I was ever able to achieve 1080p or higher on a PC properly was with an Acer 24" LCD PC Monitor (not a TV - a purpose built PC monitor - it uses DVI instead of HDMI; perhaps that's the reason my PC could work on 1920x1200 with it properly).

Not sure what's your problem, but with my desktop I have no trouble playing blu ray movies on my HDTV 1080p. But off cours I use a proper HDMI cable. It's like you're trying to use a S-video cable for 1080p from your PS3 to HDTV.

I'm not sure why you stated your parents... if they don't you can't do that with a PC, it's not my fault.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258 lowe0

[QUOTE="Sailor_Enlil"]

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

I'm sorry but my PC is way more of a entertaiment machine then any console. It's a fact that it's way more complet system then your console.

Bebi_vegeta

Good luck convincing my parents that. They love movies, but never had it in their mind to use a PC for it (they watch it on a traditional DVD player). Me? I watch movies on my PS3 as it can truely display 1080p very beautifully on my 42" TV; I really tried to do the same with my PC, but it never came out looking good at 1080p - too grainy or wrong aspect/size; and even videos looked awful (my PC's graphics only look good on the TV at 1366x768, and I must use VGA, not HDMI, which looks terrible coming from the PC). They only time I was ever able to achieve 1080p or higher on a PC properly was with an Acer 24" LCD PC Monitor (not a TV - a purpose built PC monitor - it uses DVI instead of HDMI; perhaps that's the reason my PC could work on 1920x1200 with it properly).

Not sure what's your problem, but with my desktop I have no trouble playing blu ray movies on my HDTV 1080p. But off cours I use a proper HDMI cable. It's like you're trying to use a S-video cable for 1080p from your PS3 to HDTV.

I'm not sure why you stated your parents... if they don't you can't do that with a PC, it's not my fault.

He already stated that he tried an HDMI cable.
lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

...spend 200 bucks on a pc and you ain't playin' sh*t.:lol:

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

"PC" as a "platform" exists only in the minds of technological ignorants, Steam fanboys and Gamespot.

menes777

What does it matter either way? Oh wait yes I see, you can say it doesn't count so your magic box goes up to 2nd place from 3rd.:roll:

lol and what's first? pc?:lol:

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="Sailor_Enlil"]

lowe0

Well one of the products he is using is not functioning properly.

My friend uses a 1080P 47inch tv with all his consoles and PC.

He uses HDMI to connect the tv to his devices and has no issues.

He uses his PC to watch movies because it's more ocnvient and has better support.

He has never had issue with resolution or video quality.

ZetA_LatA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 ZetA_LatA
Member since 2012 • 114 Posts

[QUOTE="ZetA_LatA"]

In the long run you spend a lot less money on the PC (games are much, much cheaper if not free lol and no silly xbox live subscriptions). However sometimes choice isn't a good thing. A lot of people just want to pick something off a shelf, plug it in, and get going. With a PC you have to pick parts, assemble, install os, get new drivers, troubleshoot the problems that WILL come up, etc. It's a lot more involved than you'd have to be with a console.

But yes, with PCs you can have "next gen" graphics years before the next gen of consoles comes out, you can alter settings, use multiple displays, overclock parts to increase performance, play with obscene numbers of people at one time, mod and be encouraged to do so, and truthfully you don't have to spend over $1000 dollars to get a good gaming PC. Several friends of mine have rigs around $600-$700 that run most games just fine (not max but still rather well) which isn't altogether that much more expensive than the consoles were when they first came out.

However this is a debate the usually accomplishes nothing and will continue to do so until consoles inevitably become PCs themselves.

Sailor_Enlil

I wonder where your friends get such bargains. My latest PC upgrade alone (comprising of the Intel i7 3770K CPU and the ASUS Sabertooth Z77 motherboard) already cost me $670. From this store:

http://pcx.com.ph/components/processors/intel-core-i7-3770k-3-5g-8mb-22nm.html

http://pcx.com.ph/components/motherboards-1/asus-z77-sabertooth.html

Cyberpower was having a deal at the time and they got some pretty good systems. They didn't go all out with the unlocked i7 and a sabertooth though lol. True enthusiast level PCs, which it looks like you've got, do run $1000+ no prob, but for those dipping their feet into computer gaming for the first time there are some "affordable" options that will be a lot easier to swallow while far surpassing current gen and likely next gen systems as well.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263 lowe0

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

RyviusARC

He uses his PC to watch movies because it's more ocnvient and has better support.

Regardless, shouldn't it just work? How is that an acceptable user experience? You can't assume that just because it works for you, something must be malfunctioning.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264 ZombieKiller7

[QUOTE="RyviusARC"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] He already stated that he tried an HDMI cable.lowe0

Regardless, shouldn't it just work? How is that an acceptable user experience? You can't assume that just because it works for you, something must be malfunctioning.

Probably non-HDCP compliant video card

Zoza24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265 Zoza24
Member since 2011 • 61 Posts

He just tells his claim to convince us to go for overpriced Ultra PC gaming, :lol:

Way to go dude!:cool:

But let people decide what gaming system they play on.:P

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="Sailor_Enlil"]

lowe0

I don't see it.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="RyviusARC"]

It's way better to assume he did everything right and it failed right ?

menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268 menes777
Member since 2003 • 2643 Posts

[QUOTE="RyviusARC"]

I am using an old Pentium D 2.66 Ghz and a ATI Radeon HD3450 as the GPU playing blu-ray quality movies (720p and 1080p) on my TV at home nearly perfectly. I can't imagine what excuse you would have for not being able to with a better setup than me.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269 lowe0

[QUOTE="lowe0"]He already stated that he tried an HDMI cable.Bebi_vegeta

I don't see it.

not HDMI, which looks terrible coming from the PCSailor_Enlil

How would he know it looked terrible for him if he hadn't tried it?

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270 lowe0

[QUOTE="lowe0"]

[QUOTE="RyviusARC"]

menes777

I am using an old Pentium D 2.66 Ghz and a ATI Radeon HD3450 as the GPU playing blu-ray quality movies (720p and 1080p) on my TV at home nearly perfectly. I can't imagine what excuse you would have for not being able to with a better setup than me.

What, my setup personally? The only PC I have hooked up to a TV is a 3570K/GTX 650. It doesn't work well, because the TV I have has overscan (Panasonic 32") and the overscan correction in Nvidia's drivers leads to blank screens on boot for some reason. I haven't had the time to troubleshoot it.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

[QUOTE="menes777"]

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

"PC" as a "platform" exists only in the minds of technological ignorants, Steam fanboys and Gamespot.

ZombieKiller7

What does it matter either way? Oh wait yes I see, you can say it doesn't count so your magic box goes up to 2nd place from 3rd.:roll:

It matters because one is a product, the other is a hobby with no specific product.

In your opinion.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="Sailor_Enlil"]not HDMI, which looks terrible coming from the PClowe0

Because he said, he used VGA ?

menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273 menes777

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"]

I don't see it.

lowe0

not HDMI, which looks terrible coming from the PCSailor_Enlil

DVI and HDMI are essentially the same thing. HDMI includes audio though.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274 Bebi_vegeta

DVI and HDMI are essentially the same thing. HDMI includes audio though.

menes777

And some video card also include audio from DVI.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275 lowe0

[QUOTE="lowe0"]

[QUOTE="Sailor_Enlil"]not HDMI, which looks terrible coming from the PCBebi_vegeta

Becayse he said, he used VGA ?

Go back and read the post again. When he says he's using VGA, not HDMI, which looks terrible coming from the PC, what is the word "which" referring to?
menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276 menes777

[QUOTE="menes777"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] Regardless, shouldn't it just work? How is that an acceptable user experience? You can't assume that just because it works for you, something must be malfunctioning.

lowe0

What, my setup personally? The only PC I have hooked up to a TV is a 3570K/GTX 650. It doesn't work well, because the TV I have has overscan (Panasonic 32") and the overscan correction in Nvidia's drivers leads to blank screens on boot for some reason. I haven't had the time to troubleshoot it.

I wasn't referring to your setup directly. But for me it was pretty much plug and play. The only difficulty that I had was that the HD 3450 is an AGP card (even more ancient) and so doesn't stream audio over the HDMI cable (DVI convert) so I had to plug into the sound card instead. Other than that the only problem I have are with some MKV formats but playing stock BR discs they play fine. Maybe I am just lucky but compared to my low end setup I would think it would be even easier for someone with a newer setup.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277 clyde46

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"]

lowe0

Go back and read the post again. When he says he's using VGA, not HDMI, which looks terrible coming from the PC, what is the word "which" referring to?

I use VGA on my TV and it looks fine....

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"]

lowe0

He sounds to me he was talking about VGA... since he must use it.

"my PC's graphics only look good on the TV at 1366x768, and I must use VGA, not HDMI, which looks terrible coming from the PC"

streetridaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279 streetridaz
Member since 2003 • 3276 Posts
[QUOTE="hippiesanta"]

pound sterling .... :lol: u overspend it

mrfrosty151986
Yes, GBP... you know, real currency and not that worthless paper they call the dollar :lol:

LMAO.......known fact that USD is loosing steam but damn if you think GBP is going to hold much longer then you are in for a little surprise.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280 lowe0

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="menes777"]

I can't imagine what excuse you would have for not being able to with a better setup than me.

menes777

What, my setup personally?

I wasn't referring to your setup directly.

Then I'm curious what the word "you" means in the sentence above.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281 lowe0

Bebi_vegeta

"my PC's graphics only look good on the TV at 1366x768, and I must use VGA, not HDMI, which looks terrible coming from the PC"

We appear to have an ambiguous sentence, then. Could the original poster clarify?
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] Go back and read the post again. When he says he's using VGA, not HDMI, which looks terrible coming from the PC, what is the word "which" referring to?lowe0

We appear to have an ambiguous sentence, then. Could the original poster clarify?

We also have absolutly no idea about his setup.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

Is the PC gaming as optimized as console ?

Sailor_Enlil

Sadly, no. PC games must cater to the "lowest common denominator" in order to maximize sales (i.e. some Joe Public's old battered PC that runs 20 year old games). Catering only to the highest PC spec is a sure fire way to go out of business.

Can your console do everything the PC can ?

Bebi_vegeta

Dumb question. A PC is supposed to be, by original purpose, a Business Machine. One used in the office for office work (eg Word Processing, Spreadsheets, Presentations, Database, etc). A Console is an entertainment system - something for Video Games, Movies, etc. (the extra stuff it can do now, like web surfing, video streaming, etc, are purely extras). So it's apples-to-oranges comparison.

This proves that you have never even touched a PC game if you don't know that PC games have multiple graphics settings for all kinds of hardware.
AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="Sailor_Enlil"]

Sailor_Enlil

PC's are all purpose machines, they can do whatever you want them to. It's just as easy to plug your computer into that 42" TV as it is a console, as any new video card has an HDMI output.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285 lowe0

Bebi_vegeta

We know a bit. For instance, that he's getting 1080p video from a PS3. If he's unhappy with the video quality over VGA, it's reasonable to assume that he's not using component to do that. Hence, he most likely has one or more HDMI ports on his TV.
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] We appear to have an ambiguous sentence, then. Could the original poster clarify?lowe0

We know a bit. For instance, that he's getting 1080p video from a PS3. If he's unhappy with the video quality over VGA, it's reasonable to assume that he's not using component to do that. Hence, he most likely has one or more HDMI ports on his TV.

We also know it's working with some Aced LCD over DVI... but we don't anything about the source which would be his GPU. I haven't used VGA is ages!

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287 lowe0

Bebi_vegeta

We also know it's working with some Aced LCD over DVI... but we don't anything about the source which would be his GPU. I haven't used VGA is ages!

VGA is still pretty common. My work PC only offers VGA and DP, so I use both for dual monitors. They're also quite common in conference rooms for hooking up to a projector; seems like every one I've been in has VGA plus 3.5mm.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

ZombieKiller7

No, it definitely fits the definition. There's an ecosystem of specific hardware, libraries, and services to support software, in this case the libraries support games specifically.

Any OS running on any circuit board is not a platform.

Microsoft Windows is a platform target.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#289 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

F**k PC gaming.sakura_Ex
F*** console gaming.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

[QUOTE="RyviusARC"]

My friend lost all his game save data on his PS3 back when they did an update to fix something with Heavy Rain.

He had to replace his Xbox 360 3 times.

People have issues with hardware all the time whether it be consoles or PC.

And I can assume that something on his side is malfunctioning.

I know exactly how the hardware works so it's either a problem with his ignorance of that hardware or a piece of that hardware is malfunctioning.

Also to the people who say VGA sucks, you are wrong.

It depends on the device.

I have an older 1680x1050 monitor using VGA and looks the same compared to when using DVI.

It depends on the type of monitor not just the cable.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

...spend 200 bucks on a pc and you ain't playin' sh*t.:lol:

lazerface216

minesweeper f*** yeah

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

[QUOTE="Sailor_Enlil"]

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

AlexKidd5000

PC's are all purpose machines, they can do whatever you want them to. It's just as easy to plug your computer into that 42" TV as it is a console, as any new video card has an HDMI output.

While it's easy to hook it up it's stupid to bother hooking it up in a living room. One of the great things about PC's is choice, one of the worst things about PC's is lack of standards... PC's are great but unless you want to get a second gaming competitively in a living room isn't exactly what I'd consider ejoyable with a mouse and keyboard. Yes you can hook up a controller, but have you ever seen any one ever play shogun 2 or cs:source with a controller? Not even all UI's are designed with a longer viewing range in mind, you'll need binoculars for reading some of the spread sheet data displayed for games like x3.

If your just going to use PC as an upscale consoles on console games, it begs the question of why bother? You can't be productive in the living room, again binoculars for excel will be necessary... you could get 2 pc's: A main PC for all those wonderful PC games, and a cheaper PC for console games. Oh wait, that is exactly what consoles are for! It's a cheap PC for your living room and far simpler for your entertainment needs. Yes you can use windows media center... but why bother with a full OS for media when all you need is ps3 or xbox to play games in the living room with and stream netflix...

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293 clyde46

[QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"][QUOTE="Sailor_Enlil"]

savagetwinkie

While it's easy to hook it up it's stupid to bother hooking it up in a living room. One of the great things about PC's is choice, one of the worst things about PC's is lack of standards... PC's are great but unless you want to get a second gaming competitively in a living room isn't exactly what I'd consider ejoyable with a mouse and keyboard. Yes you can hook up a controller, but have you ever seen any one ever play shogun 2 or cs:source with a controller? Not even all UI's are designed with a longer viewing range in mind, you'll need binoculars for reading some of the spread sheet data displayed for games like x3.

If your just going to use PC as an upscale consoles on console games, it begs the question of why bother? You can't be productive in the living room, again binoculars for excel will be necessary... you could get 2 pc's: A main PC for all those wonderful PC games, and a cheaper PC for console games. Oh wait, that is exactly what consoles are for! It's a cheap PC for your living room and far simpler for your entertainment needs. Yes you can use windows media center... but why bother with a full OS for media when all you need is ps3 or xbox to play games in the living room with and stream netflix...

Why do I need a console when I have a HTPC? An HTPC that streams all my media from a server, no need to worry about the format the video is because it will always play, I get to stream Lovefilm from it and I get to browse the web too. Remind why I need a console.
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] We know a bit. For instance, that he's getting 1080p video from a PS3. If he's unhappy with the video quality over VGA, it's reasonable to assume that he's not using component to do that. Hence, he most likely has one or more HDMI ports on his TV.lowe0

VGA is still pretty common. My work PC only offers VGA and DP, so I use both for dual monitors. They're also quite common in conference rooms for hooking up to a projector; seems like every one I've been in has VGA plus 3.5mm.

Well its true i have gaming pc... but VGA is pretty much dead except for the compagnies who still seem to support it or maybe it depends what product you buy.Because my gateway laptop doesnt have one, it has HDMI instead.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"][QUOTE="Sailor_Enlil"]

savagetwinkie

I prefer PC for the living room just because I use M&K for internet stuff and also watch all my TVshow/movies... hell listen to music. Why bother with a console... I sold my PS3 and bought a blu ray drive, didnt have time to play ps3 and pc games at the same time.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296 lowe0
[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"]

[QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"] PC's are all purpose machines, they can do whatever you want them to. It's just as easy to plug your computer into that 42" TV as it is a console, as any new video card has an HDMI output.clyde46

Why do I need a console when I have a HTPC? An HTPC that streams all my media from a server, no need to worry about the format the video is because it will always play, I get to stream Lovefilm from it and I get to browse the web too. Remind why I need a console.

That's great if you store all of your media on a server, but Amazon stores the videos I buy for me, and I don't have to worry about what format it's in either. You don't need a console, but I don't need a PC, either. Even a decent Blu-ray player could handle streaming duties, and it'd support CEC so I wouldn't need an extra remote.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] While it's easy to hook it up it's stupid to bother hooking it up in a living room. One of the great things about PC's is choice, one of the worst things about PC's is lack of standards... PC's are great but unless you want to get a second gaming competitively in a living room isn't exactly what I'd consider ejoyable with a mouse and keyboard. Yes you can hook up a controller, but have you ever seen any one ever play shogun 2 or cs:source with a controller? Not even all UI's are designed with a longer viewing range in mind, you'll need binoculars for reading some of the spread sheet data displayed for games like x3.

lowe0

That's great if you store all of your media on a server, but Amazon stores the videos I buy for me, and I don't have to worry about what format it's in either. You don't need a console, but I don't need a PC, either. Even a decent Blu-ray player could handle streaming duties, and it'd support CEC so I wouldn't need an extra remote.

We are talking about gaming though, so having an htpc + gaming pc + main gaming PC... that's silly. Maybe it's just me but I find gaming in a living room handled infinitly better by a console, everyone is on the same page, it's simple, it works for everyone that walks into my living room
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298 clyde46

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="clyde46"] Why do I need a console when I have a HTPC? An HTPC that streams all my media from a server, no need to worry about the format the video is because it will always play, I get to stream Lovefilm from it and I get to browse the web too. Remind why I need a console.savagetwinkie

We are talking about gaming though, so having an htpc + gaming pc + main gaming PC... that's silly. Maybe it's just me but I find gaming in a living room handled infinitly better by a console, everyone is on the same page, it's simple, it works for everyone that walks into my living room

Personally, my HTPC would be able to handle most games at 1080p, given that ITX hardware is getting better and the cases have good cooling for full size GPU's.

Sailor_Enlil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299 Sailor_Enlil
Member since 2003 • 1552 Posts

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] We appear to have an ambiguous sentence, then. Could the original poster clarify?lowe0

To Clarify - when I used HDMI to connect my PC to my TV, it came out terrible - very grainy, and worse, the text was completely unreadable at 1080p. Only when using VGA and 1366x768 did it come out acceptable (going 1080p here cause the text to become blurry, though not as unreadable as when using HDMI). Oh and my video card? An Inno3D GTX 660i.

Oh and I tend to get this every now and then on my PC:

Steam Hang

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

Meh, I mainly use my PC to play free to play games. The last PC game I bought was Starcraft 2. Its just my personal taste that I prefer consoles, but its just my opinion.

sonic1564
Or your PC sucks.