Why PC is better then a console, CHOICE!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#202 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
ShadowMoses and lowe have already come to this thread. The cycle is complete. The trolls have won again. princeofshapeir
What part of my post was trolling? Be specific.
Sailor_Enlil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 Sailor_Enlil
Member since 2003 • 1552 Posts

[QUOTE="Sailor_Enlil"]

Hence I avoided the XBox360 and went for the PS3, where I'm enjoying the latest games without problems, like Persona 4 Arena (which has no release on the PC).

lundy86_4

The PS3 is hardly infallible... Still, my 60gb is going strong. Yep, systems have games that don't release on other systems.

Apparenly you only hear the vocal minority. Like I said my 4 year old PS3 still chugs along just fine. No problems whatsoever, never took it to the shop, nada. The only changes done to it was an upgraded Hard Disk (originally 80GB, now 320GB). And waiting for the next Project Diva release (Project Diva F for the PS3).

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#204 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18249 Posts

Why this threads always get like 200+ pages? :S

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

If anyone wants to compare a console (PS360) with a PC here's a tip for fairness. Compare consoles with 2005 laptops, because a console doesn't have a full on (VHS size) graphic card, they just have a chip much like laptops. So get that high end 2005 laptop GPU couple with 512MB of RAM and lets see how well ME3, AC3, GTAIV and so on run on it. Then Crysis, Metro, GTAIV on ICE and so on. Because the comparison you lot love to do is like smartphone vs C64 or bike vs van, stupid and pointless but what ever boosts your ego I guess.Kane04

So, you give up on proper arguments, and vote to bend the rules in favor of consoles?

Fine by me, to counter such a move, I vote to bend the rules to further favor the PC. For example, console advantages such as affordability, "pick up and play" simplicity and games not being locked to any accounts don't count...

Rapid tech advancements have always been an important trait of the PC platform, that can't be ignored. This is System Wars, and PC is a system, so in a discussion, all of its strengths and weaknesses can be listed and used as arguments. Same applies to consoles. If you have a problem with that, take it up with staff, or find another forum...

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#206 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61427 Posts

Apparenly you only hear the vocal minority. Like I said my 4 year old PS3 still chugs along just fine. No problems whatsoever, never took it to the shop, nada. The only changes done to it was an upgraded Hard Disk (originally 80GB, now 320GB). And waiting for the next Project Diva release (Project Diva F for the PS3).

Sailor_Enlil

Huh? I only hear the vocal minority, solely because I don't deem the PS3 to be infallible? Beautiful logic.

It's called an anecdote, friend. My PS3 has worked since I bought it a few months after release. However, i'm not ignorant enough to believe it's invincible.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#207 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="Sailor_Enlil"]

Hence I avoided the XBox360 and went for the PS3, where I'm enjoying the latest games without problems, like Persona 4 Arena (which has no release on the PC).

Sailor_Enlil

The PS3 is hardly infallible... Still, my 60gb is going strong. Yep, systems have games that don't release on other systems.

And you would be the vocal minority in terms of PC hardware breaking. Almost all hardware fails at one time or another. The PS3 is no different

Kane04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 Kane04
Member since 2006 • 2115 Posts

Closer ? As in lets kill the advantage the PC has ?

If I have a gaming laptop, then obviously I can play on batterie. Also, Laptop is portable... not your console. If anything, laptop are more like handheld.

Bebi_vegeta
Closer as in... Desktop GPU: [spoiler] geforcegtx6803qtr-1332395105.jpg [/spoiler] Laptop GPU: [spoiler] geforce_gtx_280m_preview.jpg [/spoiler] PlayStation 3 GPU: [spoiler] GPU-CXD2971DGB-RSX-for-PlayStation3-PS3- [/spoiler] Xbox 360 GPU: [spoiler] 412.jpg [/spoiler] So I was talking about the hardware architecture. And what advantages did I kill? Yearish updates? If you're gonna compare something from today with something 7 years old, that was nothing like the other thing to begin with, of course the outcome is predictable, and that takes me to my original post, fairness. No 2005 laptop can run current console games, not even a 2005 desktop GPU and 512MB can run current console games. And even when the 8th gen comes out, they'll still have GPUs like laptops.

So, you give up on proper arguments, and vote to bend the rules in favor of consoles?

Fine by me, to counter such a move, I vote to bend the rules to further favor the PC.(...)

Rocker6
I wasn't bending any rules, but if we can, I call my 1995 Desktop vs a Smartphone.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 lowe0
[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

If I have a gaming laptop, then obviously I can play on batterie. Also, Laptop is portable... not your console. If anything, laptop are more like handheld.

Kane04
Closer as in... Desktop GPU: [spoiler] geforcegtx6803qtr-1332395105.jpg [/spoiler] Laptop GPU: [spoiler] geforce_gtx_280m_preview.jpg [/spoiler] PlayStation 3 GPU: [spoiler] GPU-CXD2971DGB-RSX-for-PlayStation3-PS3- [/spoiler] Xbox 360 GPU: [spoiler] 412.jpg [/spoiler] So I was talking about the hardware architecture. And what advantages did I kill? Yearish updates? If you're gonna compare something from today with something 7 years old, that was nothing like the other thing to begin with, of course the outcome is predictable, and that takes me to my original post, fairness. No 2005 laptop can run current console games, not even a 2005 desktop GPU and 512MB can run current console games. And even when the 8th gen comes out, they'll still have GPUs like laptops.

Fine by me, to counter such a move, I vote to bend the rules to further favor the PC.(...)

Rocker6
I wasn't bending any rules, but if we can, I call my 1995 Desktop vs a Smartphone.

Ummm... what do you think the thing under that large chunk of plastic and metal on the desktop GPU looks like? A lot like the other 3 pictures, that's for sure.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

[QUOTE="Kane04"]If anyone wants to compare a console (PS360) with a PC here's a tip for fairness. Compare consoles with 2005 laptops, because a console doesn't have a full on (VHS size) graphic card, they just have a chip much like laptops. So get that high end 2005 laptop GPU couple with 512MB of RAM and lets see how well ME3, AC3, GTAIV and so on run on it. Then Crysis, Metro, GTAIV on ICE and so on. Because the comparison you lot love to do is like smartphone vs C64 or bike vs van, stupid and pointless but what ever boosts your ego I guess.Rocker6

Fine by me, to counter such a move, I vote to bend the rules to further favor the PC. For example, console advantages such as affordability, "pick up and play" simplicity and games not being locked to any accounts don't count...

Rapid tech advancements have always been an important trait of the PC platform, that can't be ignored. This is System Wars, and PC is a system, so in a discussion, all of its strengths and weaknesses can be listed and used as arguments. Same applies to consoles. If you have a problem with that, take it up with staff, or find another forum...

if you want to get technical PC isn't a system its a platform, all he's doing is comparing a type of system (laptop) to consoles of the same time period. It's kind of stupid to force PC's down our throats in system wars, considering the definition of PC here is basically... not a console. Which can include almost every bit of technology ever made in computers.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#211 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

English please , because I have options , its nintendo sony or microsoft those are my choices none of this complicated do i have a good power pack do i need to upgrade my motherboard every yr. and not having to install games is another plus for me ,

And my system of choice (all of them) means i don't need to resort to flamebait threads such as this

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

Kane04

Rocker6

A gpu isn't a graphics card, if you buy a PCI-e it's not just a GPU but a graphics card, PC's, gpu is just the chip itself, with that being said, the GPU is at a disadvantage because the PCI-e connection isn't as clean, if you took the same GPU, compared one on a graphics card to one solderd directly on to a board, the board version can be pushed a little harder. With that being said, Laptops don't usually get as high as desktops because of the airflow issues, that even goes for the CPU, the small chassis doesn't have the airflow it needs. PS3/Xbox i don't think actually had lower clocks, they were just midrange gpu's.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

English please , because I have options , its nintendo sony or microsoft those are my choices none of this complicated do i have a good power pack do i need to upgrade my motherboard every yr. and not having to install games is another plus for me ,

And my system of choice (all of them) means i don't need to resort to flamebait threads such as this

mariokart64fan
Nobody cares about you.
Primordialous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#214 Primordialous
Member since 2012 • 1313 Posts

[QUOTE="mrfrosty151986"]

We have the option of CHOICE.....

We as hermits spend on hardware what we want to, we can pick from thousands of hardware configuations and can buy the hardware that suits any budget.

If you want to spend £200 on a PC then go and spend £200 on a PC, if you have a £1000 to drop on one then go for it..

But if you consolites want a next generation console you guys HAVE to pay whatever Sony and Microsoft charge...

You want a PS4 next year and Sony release it at £400-500? Guess what, if you want it, if you have your heart set on it hen you HAVE to pay it....

Not a problem for us Hermits :D

That is all....

clyde46

Not sure what this thread is trying to achieve apart from being really bad flame bait.

JameMcCabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 JameMcCabe
Member since 2012 • 326 Posts

You are wrong and that's okay, PCs eat sh!t anyway!

Primordialous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 Primordialous

JameMcCabe

Did you really just say that?

Seriously?

JameMcCabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 JameMcCabe

[QUOTE="JameMcCabe"]

Primordialous

Seriously?

Yes I did. Do we have a problem?

Primordialous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 Primordialous

[QUOTE="Primordialous"]

[QUOTE="JameMcCabe"]

JameMcCabe

Seriously?

I have a problem with that ignorant statement, yes.

JameMcCabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 JameMcCabe

[QUOTE="JameMcCabe"]

[QUOTE="Primordialous"]

Seriously?

Primordialous

Well then talk to the hand, because I don't feel like wasting my time with you. Keep going on and on about how all music after 1990 sucks and call everybody that doesn't agree with you a troll.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 clyde46

[QUOTE="Primordialous"]

[QUOTE="JameMcCabe"]

JameMcCabe

Well then talk to the hand, because I don't feel like wasting my time with you. Keep going on and on about how all music after 1990 sucks and call everybody that doesn't agree with you a troll.

That Shell Gas ad sucks.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#221 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

I like consoles over PC because it's easier to pick up and play, it's more convienant. I'm not some super PC guy so I don't want the hassle of setting up my rig and tweaking settings to run games right, I just want to grab my game and play it.

And consoles are more cheaper, PC games are only really cheap during Steam sales, normally they are the same as retail prices, and I don't want to spend money upgrading ever year or two.

Some people like PC gaming, that's good for them. They like spending money on it and learning more about the platform, but I don't like it very much. Aside from RTS games, Morrowind, and Diablo 3 I don't play on PC much. I'm not a fan of mouse and keyboard and it's a pain to set it up on my HDTV, my PS3 is just far more easy.

And this may make some people mad, but it's the truth, I don't really see a big difference between PC and console versions, look at the recent comparison video GS did of Far Cry 3, the PC version didn't look any different from the console versions.

ShadowMoses900
I can't believe you came back and decide to troll yet again...
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 mitu123

English please

mariokart64fan

You're one to talk about English...

p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts
What you see as an advantage I see as a disadvantage. When game performance can vary by setup(hardware) and environment(software). Like some games worked better for me with an ati video card while other nvidia. Or an update would come out for messing with one or more of my games. Too many annoyance far as I'm concerned, I like console convenience and optimization.
Kane04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 Kane04
Member since 2006 • 2115 Posts
[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] A gpu isn't a graphics card, if you buy a PCI-e it's not just a GPU but a graphics card, PC's, gpu is just the chip itself, with that being said, the GPU is at a disadvantage because the PCI-e connection isn't as clean, if you took the same GPU, compared one on a graphics card to one solderd directly on to a board, the board version can be pushed a little harder. With that being said, Laptops don't usually get as high as desktops because of the airflow issues, that even goes for the CPU, the small chassis doesn't have the airflow it needs. PS3/Xbox i don't think actually had lower clocks, they were just midrange gpu's.

You're just adding to my point. Small chassis, like you said, is another thing consoles share with laptops making them more closely related compared with the desktop. And it's not just air flow/heat that limits mobile GPUs (and overall the entire hardware) vs the same one on a desktop, you can open up a laptop underneath and get it at the same temperature (with fans and other trickery) as the desktop would be and still you won't get the same performance. Not to mention the laptop will only do 720 while the "same" GPU on a desktop will do at least 1080, and now a days "fairly easy" 1600.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#225 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I love my console i only use my pc for the internet.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

Kane04

Rocker6

What?

There's a GPU in every desktop card just like the picture you showed...

Look, the advantage of PC is the user freedom to do what he wants. And if I can upgrade my PC then it's obviously great for me. Yearly or not, depends on the user needs.

You wanna talk about fairness ? Is the PC gaming as optimized as console ? Can your console do everything the PC can ?

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] A gpu isn't a graphics card, if you buy a PCI-e it's not just a GPU but a graphics card, PC's, gpu is just the chip itself, with that being said, the GPU is at a disadvantage because the PCI-e connection isn't as clean, if you took the same GPU, compared one on a graphics card to one solderd directly on to a board, the board version can be pushed a little harder. With that being said, Laptops don't usually get as high as desktops because of the airflow issues, that even goes for the CPU, the small chassis doesn't have the airflow it needs. PS3/Xbox i don't think actually had lower clocks, they were just midrange gpu's. Kane04
You're just adding to my point. Small chassis, like you said, is another thing consoles share with laptops making them more closely related compared with the desktop. And it's not just air flow/heat that limits mobile GPUs (and overall the entire hardware) vs the same one on a desktop, you can open up a laptop underneath and get it at the same temperature (with fans and other trickery) as the desktop would be and still you won't get the same performance. Not to mention the laptop will only do 720 while the "same" GPU on a desktop will do at least 1080, and now a days "fairly easy" 1600.

OMG what are you talking about!!! GPU on the laptop can do whatever resolution you trow at it, you can plug it to a external monitor/HDTV.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152372

http://www.msimobile.com/level3_productpage.aspx?cid=6&id=381

This laptop is 1199USD and comes with a 7970m which is around the equivalent to a 7850 desktop GPU.

It has a 1080P screen as well.

1199USD might seem like too much but when you consider the hardware then it is not.

It's more portable than a console and already has a screen added to the price.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="Kane04"]If anyone wants to compare a console (PS360) with a PC here's a tip for fairness. Compare consoles with 2005 laptops, because a console doesn't have a full on (VHS size) graphic card, they just have a chip much like laptops. So get that high end 2005 laptop GPU couple with 512MB of RAM and lets see how well ME3, AC3, GTAIV and so on run on it. Then Crysis, Metro, GTAIV on ICE and so on. Because the comparison you lot love to do is like smartphone vs C64 or bike vs van, stupid and pointless but what ever boosts your ego I guess.savagetwinkie

if you want to get technical PC isn't a system its a platform, all he's doing is comparing a type of system (laptop) to consoles of the same time period. It's kind of stupid to force PC's down our throats in system wars, considering the definition of PC here is basically... not a console. Which can include almost every bit of technology ever made in computers.

SW is all about forcing your platform of preference down other people throats (I do agree this thread is pointless, though!), also, gaming dedicated PC is voted as a system by SW rules, so omitting some of its strengths and weaknesses is bending the rules, and has no place in a proper discussion. His comparison doesn't make much of a sense, as it's omitting a major PC advantage, its open nature...

Of course PC will lose if you're forced to compare a 2005 laptop with a dedicated gaming device, but is there a point in going so low?

Want to attack the PC, it's very possible to do it properly, without resorting to exclusions. Like any other platform, it has its share of flaws which can be used to bring a good criticism in the right hands...

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

Meh, I mainly use my PC to play free to play games. The last PC game I bought was Starcraft 2. Its just my personal taste that I prefer consoles, but its just my opinion.

sonic1564
Meh, I prefer the comfort and convenience of my PC, and the ability to play any game on it, and use any control scheme :) Consoles are over priced, and to restrictive. I haven't played a game on a console in 10 years.
AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 AlexKidd5000
[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]I choose console. I just don't care to spend $26,000 on a game machine.Heirren

Why you so poor!

There's far more important things to spend money on.

I only spent $400 on mine, better value for the money then $300 for a console that doesn't do anything.
AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 AlexKidd5000

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]£200 PC is not a PC built for the future, or even for the present in many circumstances.

seanmcloughlin

I'm pretty sure that a £200 PC can run games at low settings with 30-35fps and would still look better than consoles.

So consolites, care to explain why you think consoles are cheaper?

Maybe it would look better, but not by a whole lot. 1080p would be a good thing but that isn't factored into the price of £200. Honestly a £200 PC is NOT worth the money as it would be quickly outdated.

PC gaming IS expensive and I hate when people downplay that. It's more hardware expensive than consoles by far, but the thing is I don't find it a waste of money. If you do then that would explian why some people don't game on PC. it's not for them. But PC gaming IS for me and I don't need to justify the prices, it's well worth it IMO.

I'd rather pay $20-30 for games then $60. Console gamers get ripped off massive on the games. and thats what makes console gaming MUCH more expensive.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 mitu123

I'd rather pay $20-30 for games then $60. Console gamers get ripped off massive on the games. and thats what makes console gaming MUCH more expensive.AlexKidd5000
So true, console gaming pisses me off because of their prices on games.

Sailor_Enlil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 Sailor_Enlil

[QUOTE="Sailor_Enlil"]

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

lostrib

And you would be the vocal minority in terms of PC hardware breaking. Almost all hardware fails at one time or another. The PS3 is no different

Mind telling that to those customers I see around the mall having their PC's repaired? (there were like a dozen of them at that shop waiting in line to have their PC's repaired). On the other hand, console repair requests in the same place seemed rather scarce.

Oh and I just noticed another issue since I got this new mobo - the occasional sound distortion or "bzzzz" during heavy disk activity while any sound is being played (eg mp3 music, or the audio part of a video). I'm currently trying to investigate it (so far a number of Z77 owners seem to be reporting the same thing upon searching the web. hmm; again, my PS3 doesn't exhibit such problems).

Sailor_Enlil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 Sailor_Enlil

Is the PC gaming as optimized as console ?

Bebi_vegeta

Sadly, no. PC games must cater to the "lowest common denominator" in order to maximize sales (i.e. some Joe Public's old battered PC that runs 20 year old games). Catering only to the highest PC spec is a sure fire way to go out of business.

Can your console do everything the PC can ?

Bebi_vegeta

Dumb question. A PC is supposed to be, by original purpose, a Business Machine. One used in the office for office work (eg Word Processing, Spreadsheets, Presentations, Database, etc). A Console is an entertainment system - something for Video Games, Movies, etc. (the extra stuff it can do now, like web surfing, video streaming, etc, are purely extras). So it's apples-to-oranges comparison.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 Bebi_vegeta

Dumb question. A PC is supposed to be, by original purpose, a Business Machine. One used in the office for office work (eg Word Processing, Spreadsheets, Presentations, Database, etc). A Console is an entertainment system - something for Video Games, Movies, etc. (the extra stuff it can do now, like web surfing, video streaming, etc, are purely extras). So it's apples-to-oranges comparison.

Sailor_Enlil

I'm sorry but my PC is way more of a entertaiment machine then any console. It's a fact that it's way more complet system then your console.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 clyde46

[QUOTE="Sailor_Enlil"]

Bebi_vegeta

I'm sorry but my PC is way more of a entertaiment machine then any console. It's a fact that it's way more complet system then your console.

This. A HTPC is a must for anyone who likes to watch films and TV shows.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 lowe0

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="Sailor_Enlil"]

clyde46

This. A HTPC is a must for anyone who likes to watch films and TV shows.

What for? I can get Amazon or Hulu on either of my consoles, and I can stream music to them from my NAS (or a PC). What else do I need?
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

"PC" as a "platform" exists only in the minds of technological ignorants, Steam fanboys and Gamespot.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 lowe0

"PC" as a "platform" exists only in the minds of technological ignorants, Steam fanboys and Gamespot.

ZombieKiller7
No, it definitely fits the definition. There's an ecosystem of specific hardware, libraries, and services to support software, in this case the libraries support games specifically.
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 ZombieKiller7

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

lowe0

No, it definitely fits the definition. There's an ecosystem of specific hardware, libraries, and services to support software, in this case the libraries support games specifically.

Any OS running on any circuit board is not a platform.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 clyde46

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

ZombieKiller7

Prove its not.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 lowe0

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

ZombieKiller7

Correct. However, a given instruction set, protocols for interconnected hardware, and APIs to support development do together constitute a platform.
Sailor_Enlil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 Sailor_Enlil

[QUOTE="Sailor_Enlil"]

Bebi_vegeta

Good luck convincing my parents that. They love movies, but never had it in their mind to use a PC for it (they watch it on a traditional DVD player). Me? I watch movies on my PS3 as it can truely display 1080p very beautifully on my 42" TV; I really tried to do the same with my PC, but it never came out looking good at 1080p - too grainy or wrong aspect/size; and even videos looked awful (my PC's graphics only look good on the TV at 1366x768, and I must use VGA, not HDMI, which looks terrible coming from the PC). They only time I was ever able to achieve 1080p or higher on a PC properly was with an Acer 24" LCD PC Monitor (not a TV - a purpose built PC monitor - it uses DVI instead of HDMI; perhaps that's the reason my PC could work on 1920x1200 with it properly).

ZetA_LatA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 ZetA_LatA
Member since 2012 • 114 Posts

In the long run you spend a lot less money on the PC (games are much, much cheaper if not free lol and no silly xbox live subscriptions). However sometimes choice isn't a good thing. A lot of people just want to pick something off a shelf, plug it in, and get going. With a PC you have to pick parts, assemble, install os, get new drivers, troubleshoot the problems that WILL come up, etc. It's a lot more involved than you'd have to be with a console.

But yes, with PCs you can have "next gen" graphics years before the next gen of consoles comes out, you can alter settings, use multiple displays, overclock parts to increase performance, play with obscene numbers of people at one time, mod and be encouraged to do so, and truthfully you don't have to spend over $1000 dollars to get a good gaming PC. Several friends of mine have rigs around $600-$700 that run most games just fine (not max but still rather well) which isn't altogether that much more expensive than the consoles were when they first came out.

However this is a debate the usually accomplishes nothing and will continue to do so until consoles inevitably become PCs themselves.

menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 menes777
Member since 2003 • 2643 Posts

ZombieKiller7

What does it matter either way? Oh wait yes I see, you can say it doesn't count so your magic box goes up to 2nd place from 3rd.:roll:

Sailor_Enlil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 Sailor_Enlil

In the long run you spend a lot less money on the PC (games are much, much cheaper if not free lol and no silly xbox live subscriptions). However sometimes choice isn't a good thing. A lot of people just want to pick something off a shelf, plug it in, and get going. With a PC you have to pick parts, assemble, install os, get new drivers, troubleshoot the problems that WILL come up, etc. It's a lot more involved than you'd have to be with a console.

But yes, with PCs you can have "next gen" graphics years before the next gen of consoles comes out, you can alter settings, use multiple displays, overclock parts to increase performance, play with obscene numbers of people at one time, mod and be encouraged to do so, and truthfully you don't have to spend over $1000 dollars to get a good gaming PC. Several friends of mine have rigs around $600-$700 that run most games just fine (not max but still rather well) which isn't altogether that much more expensive than the consoles were when they first came out.

However this is a debate the usually accomplishes nothing and will continue to do so until consoles inevitably become PCs themselves.

ZetA_LatA

I wonder where your friends get such bargains. My latest PC upgrade alone (comprising of the Intel i7 3770K CPU and the ASUS Sabertooth Z77 motherboard) already cost me $670. From this store:

http://pcx.com.ph/components/processors/intel-core-i7-3770k-3-5g-8mb-22nm.html

http://pcx.com.ph/components/motherboards-1/asus-z77-sabertooth.html

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts
I love my dual monitor setup. I can have a screen dedicated to gaming, and other screen to the internet/music player/ etc or even have my xbox connected to the 2nd monitor
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 ZombieKiller7

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] No, it definitely fits the definition. There's an ecosystem of specific hardware, libraries, and services to support software, in this case the libraries support games specifically.lowe0

Correct. However, a given instruction set, protocols for interconnected hardware, and APIs to support development do together constitute a platform.

Then you might as well call your platform "technology" because every circuit board and every device in the world is using the same loose confederation of standards.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 ZombieKiller7

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

menes777

What does it matter either way? Oh wait yes I see, you can say it doesn't count so your magic box goes up to 2nd place from 3rd.:roll:

It matters because one is a product, the other is a hobby with no specific product.