Why PC gaming is at the forefront of the industry

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
#351 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -

i think the steam hardware survey records all gpu's it can identify, doesn't it? so if i take the test on my home machine it will report an Intel HD Graphics 3000 (I think) and a Radeon R9 280 X. it won't be possible to tell from my survey result that the intel HD graphics shouldn't contribute at all - it's simply 'there'. i suspect the high incidence of intel hd graphics might be coming from this. however, i would never be so presumptuous as to assume that its definitely the answer.

also, very hard to gauge the average pc gamer. star citizen did a survey among their backers which showed 82% build. i doubt a typical pc gamer out there would have seen the PS4 release, and then immediately bought a >1.84 TF GPU.

what's the impetus for a GPU change? well it's probably going to be a demanding game, or perhaps the release of new graphics hardware (coming later this year).

#352 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Cranler said:After having time to reflect I came to the conclusion that those with killer rigs are more likely to participate thus skewing the results.

I came to the conclusion,

I think,

I believe,

Cranler posts in a nut shell after every 30-40 posts of several people destroying him in a arguement.

I missed the part where anyone destroyed me. I recall picking all naysayers arguments apart.

@walloftruth said:

@Cranler said:

@walloftruth said:

@Cranler said:

@walloftruth said:

1. Destiny will have less players than those games you mentioned.

2. Not according to the Steam survey.

3. Not according to your list of most popular PC games, good luck playing LoL and Dota2 on a Xbox 360 lol.

4. That's an assumption, not a fact.

1. Destiny has the highest preorders of any new ip. Analysts predict 10-15 million sales of Destiny.

2. Majority of steam users have a gpu below the PS 4's capability and you also need to prove that all pc gamers are on steam

3. LoL's req's are far below any multiplat of the last 5 years. Dota's min req is 8600 gt.

4. Pc gamings biggest region is Asia of which China is the dominant country

1. What analysts predict doesn't mean anything and even if it comes true, alone Dota2 has already over 25 million players, so like I said, it won't have more players than the games YOU mentioned.

2. Why would all PC gamers be on Steam? Apparently there are up to a billion people who play on PC and only around 80 million active Steam accounts. Do the math.

3. And yet you couldn't play LoL or Dota2 on a 360 like you claimed. You'd have to change the whole whole game to get it playable.

4. Source?

1. There's 550k people playing Dota 2 now. That 25 million stat has a lot to do with people not even that interested in the genre trying it out since it's free.

2. You're the one who spoke as if all pc gamers are on steam

3. The 360 has the power to run those games and the right stick could be used as a mouse. Both games are playable on pc using only the mouse.

4. I thought this was common knowledge. http://www.gamersnexus.net/news/1318-games-industry-revenue-and-genre-popularity

1. The same goes for Destiny too.

2. When did I do that? Quote me.

3. It's not playable with only a mouse if you have no chance against someone who uses m/kb. Also, start up LoL and use a 360 gamepads right thumb stick to play a match, let's see how much fun that is.

4. What makes you think that Asia would make such a big difference? N.America has almost 2x more PC gamers than console gamers, Europe has 3x more PC gamers than console gamers, "Others" has around 10x more PC gamers than console gamers and Asia has around 40x more PC gamers than console gamers and like the article states, almost every console gamer also plays on PC, so that means that even if consoles get fully allowed in China, it might only be a small increase in console revenue.

Destiny is free?

You spoke as if the steam survey was all inclusive.

If it can be played with only a mouse it can be played with a controller and of course on console you'd be up against mostly controller users anyway.

This chart is also including casual which they state are the majority of pc gamers. Other revenue reports state that pc gaming has just recently eclipsed console which wouldn't be the case if consoles weren't banned in China.

What I really love about that chart is when they acknowledge that console gamers are fragmented across platforms.

#353 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (2222 posts) -

@Cranler said:

I missed the part where anyone destroyed me. I recall picking all naysayers arguments apart.

Oooh new troll tactic, lie about the last 8 pages.

#354 Posted by millerlight89 (18658 posts) -

@xxyetixx said:

Dude real PC gamers are a very small majority. PC is doing well because Free 2 play games, and Zynga.

Is solitaire still the most played PC game ever?!?

This man gets it.

#355 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (2222 posts) -
@millerlight89 said:

@xxyetixx said:

Dude real PC gamers are a very small majority. PC is doing well because Free 2 play games, and Zynga.

This man gets it.

Whats wrong with lol or dota2?

#356 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Cranler said:

Oooh new troll tactic, lie about the last 8 pages.

What lies?

#357 Posted by millerlight89 (18658 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:
@millerlight89 said:

@xxyetixx said:

This man gets it.

Whats wrong with lol or dota2?

No one said anything was wrong with those games.

#358 Posted by melonfarmerz (1294 posts) -

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Where are you getting 5%?

It clearly shows that nearly 50% of the ppl don't even have a quad core CPU and 12% don't even own a GPU.....I don't know the gneration number associated with ATI....but only less than 5% of the ppl have a 700 series Nvidia GPU.

That series will be REQUIRED for running TW3 and Star Citizen at all those pics that ppl post.....maybe...a GTX 680.

I have 5 computers registered on Steam. My main which is a 760, my Macbook Air which is used for notes and occasionally Civ V, a Surface Pro, only used for Civ V when I'm on a plane or something, an old HT PC with integrated graphics from back in 08 used exclusively for when a friend was over and we wanted to LAN awesomenauts, and my old PC before I was big on PC gaming, which has a 440.

Now you know where Steam stats come from. It's the same story with a lot of PC gamers. Stop trying to bend facts.

#359 Edited by millerlight89 (18658 posts) -

@mr_huggles_dog said:

It clearly shows that nearly 50% of the ppl don't even have a quad core CPU and 12% don't even own a GPU.....I don't know the gneration number associated with ATI....but only less than 5% of the ppl have a 700 series Nvidia GPU.

That series will be REQUIRED for running TW3 and Star Citizen at all those pics that ppl post.....maybe...a GTX 680.

It's pointless, most PC gamers will not admit to most of their PC gamer brethren using weaker PCs to game on. It's not that big of a deal that this is the case, but they still will deny it left and right using every excuse in the book.

#360 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (2222 posts) -

@millerlight89 said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

It's pointless, most PC gamers will not admit to most of their PC gamer brethren using weaker PCs to game on. It's not that big of a deal that this is the case, but they still will deny it left and right using every excuse in the book.

And most console gamers won't admit most of their Console gamer brethren using weaker consoles than most PC's. Most people still have last gen consoles.

#361 Edited by Mr_Huggles_dog (7805 posts) -

@melonfarmerz said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

I have 5 computers registered on Steam. My main which is a 760, my Macbook Air which is used for notes and occasionally Civ V, a Surface Pro, only used for Civ V when I'm on a plane or something, an old HT PC with integrated graphics from back in 08 used exclusively for when a friend was over and we wanted to LAN awesomenauts, and my old PC before I was big on PC gaming, which has a 440.

Now you know where Steam stats come from. It's the same story with a lot of PC gamers. Stop trying to bend facts.

How am I bending the facts?

Those ARE the facts.

#362 Edited by melonfarmerz (1294 posts) -

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@melonfarmerz said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Those ARE the facts.

You completely ignore the fact that most PC gamers have more than 1 PC on Steam. The stats showed 50% of computer's registered didn't have a quad core and you interpreted it as 50% of PEOPLE don't have a quad core.

That's how.

#363 Edited by Mr_Huggles_dog (7805 posts) -

@melonfarmerz said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@melonfarmerz said:

Those ARE the facts.

You completely ignore the fact that most PC gamers have more than 1 PC on Steam. The stats showed 50% of computer's registered didn't have a quad core and you interpreted it as 50% of PEOPLE don't have a quad core.

That's how.

How the hell do you even know that as a fact?

I've gamed on PC for 10 years and I only have 1 PC linked to Steam....I'm pretty sure lots of others are in the same scenario.

Are YOU trying to bend facts saying that all those PCs are just second machines of PC gamers? You have no proof but giving yourself as an example....which doesn't mean squat since I did the same thing and was the opposite.

I'll give you that some of them are second or third machines owned by gamers....but there is no way of knowing. So, it ends with 50% of the computers registered with Steam can't even run FF7 at 1080p.

#364 Posted by melonfarmerz (1294 posts) -

@mr_huggles_dog said:

I've gamed on PC for 10 years and I only have 1 PC linked to Steam....I'm pretty sure lots of others are in the same scenario.

Are YOU trying to bend facts saying that all those PCs are just second machines of PC gamers? You have no proof but giving yourself as an example....which doesn't mean squat since I did the same thing and was the opposite.

I'll give you that some of them are second or third machines owned by gamers....but there is no way of knowing. So, it ends with 50% of the computers registered with Steam can't even run FF7 at 1080p.

"I've gamed on PC for 10 years"

"How the hell do you even know that as a fact?" Then "Are YOU trying to bend facts"

"I'll give you that some of them are second or third machines owned by gamers." But somehow at the same time, "So, it ends with 50% of the computers registered with Steam can't even run FF7 at 1080p."

Lots of contradiction there bud.

#365 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@melonfarmerz said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@melonfarmerz said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Those ARE the facts.

That's how.

How do you know that most pc gamers have more than 1 pc on steam?

#366 Posted by NFJSupreme (6488 posts) -

Aside from the hardware issue when was the last time a new gaming genre was spawned on console? All the creativity seems to come to pc first. Whether it's mobas, third person rts, games like evolve (pc first before it was announced for consoles), survival games like days. if it's a new and fresh idea it happens on pc first. Console devs are to caught up in appeasing big business to take risks on new ideas and new genres.

#367 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (2222 posts) -

Using steam survey is pretty much bending the facts. Guess who used it first in this thread as their "data"?

Meanwhile, that list of links I posted earlier has yet to be refuted. PC, forefront of the industry at the moment. You can come up with excuses and reasons why, but you can't deny that fact.

#368 Posted by uninspiredcup (24920 posts) -

PC only place for intellectuals gamings.

Console have none.

#369 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (2222 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Console have none.

If by "intellectual" you mean more complicated and higher skill-cap, then yeah PC is what you'd typically want.

#370 Edited by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

Using steam survey is pretty much bending the facts. Guess who used it first in this thread as their "data"?

Meanwhile, that list of links I posted earlier has yet to be refuted. PC, forefront of the industry at the moment. You can come up with excuses and reasons why, but you can't deny that fact.

Wall of Truth brought the steam survey into the discussion.

Game revenue and hardware sales do not constitute being at the forefront. You never proved that pc game market would have passed console without the console ban in China.

Being at the forefront is about innovation and evolution.

#371 Posted by NFJSupreme (6488 posts) -

@Cranler: that's the thing. There is no innovation in console gaming anymore. All the innovation is on the pc side.

#372 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (2222 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

Game revenue and hardware sales do not constitute being at the forefront. You never proved that pc game market would have passed console without the console ban in China.

1. A: You brought up the China thing. It's your job to prove it. Please learn to debate. B:. And how does China "not count" and nullify my data? It is irrelevant in refuting my point.

2. This is your opinion on forefront of an industry. That being said, PC is at the forefront of evolution and innovation. Consoles just get the next rehash sequel, Madden Rehash, or corridor Movie-Title while using dated PC tech. All next-gen console technology, except for gimmicks such as touchscreens and motion, come from PC. PC is where the future hardware, shaders, physix, effects, etc. are first adopted and used. It's all PC when it comes to important hardware. PC is where the next famous genres came from and continue to come from. Just look at F2P and MMO taking off on Consoles. Look at TES type games, or any FPS or Sim. Look at Mobas. Look at all those Amnesia clones. PC is where online gaming was CREATED, and continues to evolve from (e-sports, F2P, and ever evolving MMO worlds). That huge indy scene that you bash so much is where so many new ideas spawn from.

Getting the same few rehashes with slightly better gfx (thanks to PC innovating hardware) every gen is not innovation. No 1 console made as many genres as PC did last gen.

#373 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@NFJSupreme said:

@Cranler: that's the thing. There is no innovation in console gaming anymore. All the innovation is on the pc side.

I didn't claim there was. Although there's been plenty of console innovation in the past. GTA 3 and Devil May Cry created new genres, Assassins Creed created a new sub genre, cover shooters began on console. That's just off the top of my head. Plenty of console games make it on the most innovative games of all time lists.

Console is still at the forefront somewhat. Assassins Creed Unity is one of if not the most technically impressive game of the year and it's primarily a console franchise.

Overall, graphics have been stagnating for years and now that new consoles are out we will see a huge shift in graphics.

#374 Edited by uninspiredcup (24920 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Console have none.

If by "intellectual" you mean more complicated and higher skill-cap, then yeah PC is what you'd typically want.

Yes. Console kill intellectual gaming.

Console gamers even complain about thinking by attempting to mock and dismiss strategy titles.

Because apparently thinking and engaging in a game is bad, or something. Needs more QTE.

#375 Edited by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Cranler said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

1. A: You brought up the China thing. It's your job to prove it. Please learn to debate. B:. And how does China "not count" and nullify my data? It is irrelevant in refuting my point.

2. This is your opinion on forefront of an industry. That being said, PC is at the forefront of evolution and innovation. Consoles just get the next CoD sequel, Madden Rehash, or corridor Movie-Title while using dated PC tech. All next-gen console technology, except for gimmicks such as touchscreens and motion, come from PC. PC is where the future hardware, sharers, physix, effects, etc. are first adopted and used. PC is where the next famous genres came from and continue to come from. That huge indy scene that you bash so much is where so many of those ideas spawn from.

1. Why would i need to prove it? The most populated country in the world and they banned consoles for the last 15 years. Of course it would be a pc gaming powerhouse. Having the highest revenue because consoles are banned isn't something top brag about

Chinese gaming market tops $13 billion

As for how what types of games are responsible for that money, 64.5 percent of it ($8.87 billion) is coming from client-based PC games. Another 15 percent ($2.11 billion) is coming from browser-based games. Mobile gaming accounted for 13.5 percent of the market ($1.86 billion), with social games ($890 million) and console games (around $10 million) rounding out the bottom of the list.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-01-02-chinese-gaming-market-tops-USD13-billion

2. Well if being at the forefront is all about revenue then we could say that Mcdonalds is at the forefront of restaurant industry and Microsoft is at the forefront of operating systems. Funny how all the most popular pc games have outdated graphics. It took new consoles for the majority of the industry to finally move forward graphically. Do I need to post the Dead Rising 3 vs Rust pics again? I never bashed indies. More innovation comes from mods though.

#376 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (2222 posts) -

@Cranler said:

1. It's not bragging, I'm merely stating the facts. As far as sales are concenred, PC IS the industry leader (or ...forefront). There is no debating... You're just making excuses. Me and you don't get to dictate what counts and what doesn't, PC is the leader in sales.

2. If being the forefront is innovation, creation, and evolution: then I'm afraid PC is even more ahead. Lets discuss why:

Tech: For starters, the tech side of this is not debatable. Lets both concede to the fact that all future hardware is adopted first on PC. It is first innovated and created on PC. It is where performance companies see most of their sales. This goes without saying. The next gen consoles will be using dated PC tech again, likely. Just like this gen. PC is the birth place of gaming hardware at all times.

Games: Name one console that innovated or evolved as many game styles as PC did last gen. Amnesia type games, MOBA evolution, F2P, Action-MMO, DayZ style survival, E-Sports, Mine-Craft style game, etc. Now it's too early in the gen for this to occur, but guess what system always has the GFX benchmarks every gen? Crytek are trying to turn Ryse PC into such a thing, as directly stated in an interview. Guess which system multiplats like Witcher3 will have more effects on? Effects that will likely be utilized on next gen consoles (PS5). PC begins it all baby.

What you might be thinking is refinement. Consoles surely are good at doing that, but not always for the better (lol cover system and other easy-mode shit). I concede to consoles having greater refinement...(when you pit all 3 vs PC)..for better or for worse.

#377 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Cranler said:

1. You need to prove it because you're the one stating it. Learn to debate. It's not bragging, I'm merely stating the facts. As far as sales are concenred, PC IS the industry leader (or ...forefront). There is no debating this so stop trying. You're just making excuses.

2. If being the forefront is innovation, creation, and evolution: then I'm afraid PC is even more ahead. Lets discuss why:

Tech: For starters, the tech side of this is not debatable. Lets both concede to the fact that all future hardware is adopted first on PC. It is first innovated and created on PC. It is where performance companies see most of their sales. This goes without saying. The next gen consoles will be using dated PC tech again, likely. Just like this gen. PC is the birth place of gaming hardware at all times.

Games: Name one console that innovated or evolved as many game styles as PC did last gen. Amnesia type games, MOBA evolution, F2P, DayZ style survival, E-Sports, Mine-Craft style game, etc. Now it's too early in the gen for this to occur, but guess what system always has the GFX benchmarks every gen? Crytek are trying to turn Ryse PC into such a thing, as directly stated in an interview. Guess which system multiplats like Witcher3 will have more effects on? Effects that will likely be utilized on next gen consoles (PS5). PC begins it all baby.

What you might be thinking is refinement. Consoles surely are good at doing that, but not always for the better (lol cover system and other easy-mode shit).

1. The pie charts that show Asia having the highest pc revenue was posted earlier in the thread

2. A last gen game with tacked on features is one thing and a game built from the ground up for new hardware is another. All the upcoming games with awesome graphics are multiplats or console exclusive. Cept for that crowdfunded game. The industry at large had to wait for the new consoles to begin using new engines.

How does a cover system make a game easier?

Lol, still playing the pc vs one console card.

PC worlds most innovative games of all time list is dominated by console games. Again that's PC WORLD stating this. http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/slideshow/308480/20-most-innovative-games-ever-made/

Another most innovative games list also dominated by consoles http://www.ranker.com/list/game-pro_s-20-most-innovative-games-of-all-time/video-games-lists

#378 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (2222 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Cranler said:

1. You need to prove it because you're the one stating it. Learn to debate. It's not bragging, I'm merely stating the facts. As far as sales are concenred, PC IS the industry leader (or ...forefront). There is no debating this so stop trying. You're just making excuses.

Games: Name one console that innovated or evolved as many game styles as PC did last gen. Amnesia type games, MOBA evolution, F2P, DayZ style survival, E-Sports, Mine-Craft style game, etc. Now it's too early in the gen for this to occur, but guess what system always has the GFX benchmarks every gen? Crytek are trying to turn Ryse PC into such a thing, as directly stated in an interview. Guess which system multiplats like Witcher3 will have more effects on? Effects that will likely be utilized on next gen consoles (PS5). PC begins it all baby.

What you might be thinking is refinement. Consoles surely are good at doing that, but not always for the better (lol cover system and other easy-mode shit).

Nope. I won't address anything you said in that because you didn't refute anything I stated in the post you quoted....try it.

• Hardware/Tech wise PC is the definitive innovation/evolution champion. The hardware is created for PC first. All future tech is created and used on PC first. This will never change. Unless you are into motion gaming, LOL. The graphically most advanced upcomming game is PC only. Crytek are trying to make the ultimate gfx benchmark on PC only. Witcher3 on PC which looks better than ANY console title, and was being made for PC regardless of next gen consoles releasing or not, CDP is a PC dev. And thats just the start of the gen. Can you imagine as time goes by; oh right its going to be like last gen where all the major gfx innovations were on PC and consoles had to wait for next gen to get them.
  • Name one console from last gen that made more genres than PC did last gen. Stop dodging.
Avatar image for highking_kallor
#379 Edited by highking_kallor (594 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:
Please learn to debate

Rich coming from you. First to run off tail between legs.

#380 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (2222 posts) -

@highking_kallor said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:
Please learn to debate

Another troll alt defending Cranler and his faulty arguments that never address the main point. PC has the highest revenue, he isn't refuting that he's posting side information on why it has the highest revenue......he's only bolstering my facts. That is not refuting.

#382 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (2222 posts) -

@highking_kallor said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@highking_kallor said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:
Please learn to debate

Another troll alt defending Cranler and his faulty arguments.

A desperate stretch but continue. Going to report me more wuss? Get a bit upset in the other thread did we?

I have no clue what you're talking about. Stop trolling though.

Avatar image for highking_kallor
#383 Edited by highking_kallor (594 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus:

lol sure you dont.

#384 Posted by glez13 (9749 posts) -

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Then stop using Steam Survey to prove anything since we aren't even sure based on what numbers they get those percentages. From the two desktop PC's(around three configs for each) and one basic model laptop I have used Steam on, I have only done the steam survey with the laptop. We don't know if many do the same thing, we don't know if many do the survey with every PC they use Steam on. Using Steam survey to prove anything exactly, is in the same realm as using VGChartz.

#385 Edited by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Cranler said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Cranler said:

Nope. I won't address anything you said in that because you didn't refute anything I stated in the post you quoted....try it.

• Hardware/Tech wise PC is the definitive innovation/evolution champion. The hardware is created for PC first. All future tech is created and used on PC first. This will never change. Unless you are into motion gaming, LOL. The graphically most advanced upcomming game is PC only. Crytek are trying to make the ultimate gfx benchmark on PC only. Witcher3 on PC which looks better than ANY console title was being made for PC regardless of next gen consoles releasing or not, CDP is a PC dev.
  • Name one console from last gen that made more genres than PC did last gen.

I knew you would dodge my cover system question but I didn't think you would dodge the entire post.

Unreal Engine 3 was first used in a console game. Frostbite and the destruction engine were first used on console. Rage engine was on console first. Most other engines are used in multiplats. The game with the biggest leap in sound fx is the console exclusive BF Bad Company. Rocksteady had some tacked on pc centric features in last gen Batman games but waited for the new consoles to completely overhaul the engine. All the most demanding games are multiplats.

Witcher 3 is Witcher 2 with slightly better graphics while console centric Assassins Creed Unity is more than a slight graphical upgrade.

Last gen saw the pc closing the gap in innovation. A new most innovative games of all time list might be a little less console dominated.

#386 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (2222 posts) -

Cranler was smart enough to stop using steam-survey when it bit him in the ass.

Huggles however keeps flip-flopping.

#387 Edited by Mr_Huggles_dog (7805 posts) -

@melonfarmerz said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

"I've gamed on PC for 10 years"

"How the hell do you even know that as a fact?" Then "Are YOU trying to bend facts"

"I'll give you that some of them are second or third machines owned by gamers." But somehow at the same time, "So, it ends with 50% of the computers registered with Steam can't even run FF7 at 1080p."

Lots of contradiction there bud.

No theres not.

I'm trying to meet you half way and I said SOME....and regardless of me saying that....IT IS A FACT THAT 50% OF COMPUTERS...REGARDLESS IF THEY ARE SECOND COMpUTERS OR NOT CANNOT EVEN RUN FF7 AT 1080P.

And it still remains that you have no proof that they are second hand machines.

@RoboCopISJesus - you can think what you want....but I'm using facts....and you guys keep trying to twist them into ways.....like the stupid idea that all these 50% of comptuers are second machines....HAHAAHHAHAHAHHAH

#388 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (2222 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Cranler said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Cranler said:

• Hardware/Tech wise PC is the definitive innovation/evolution champion. The hardware is created for PC first. All future tech is created and used on PC first. This will never change. Unless you are into motion gaming, LOL. The graphically most advanced upcomming game is PC only. Crytek are trying to make the ultimate gfx benchmark on PC only. Witcher3 on PC which looks better than ANY console title was being made for PC regardless of next gen consoles releasing or not, CDP is a PC dev.

I knew you would dodge my cover system question but I didn't think you would dodge the entire post.

Unreal Engine 3 was first used in a console game. Frostbite and the destruction engine were first used on console. Rage engine was on console first. Most other engines are used in multiplats. The game with the biggest leap in sound fx is the console exclusive BF Bad Company. Rocksteady had some tacked on pc centric features in last gen Batman games but waited for the new consoles to completely overhaul the engine. All the most demanding games are multiplats.

Witcher 3 is Witcher 2 with slightly better graphics while console centric Assassins Creed Unity is more than a slight graphical upgrade.

Last gen saw the pc closing the gap in innovation. A new most innovative games of all time list might be a little less console dominated.

1. The new quote chain was started by me and you dodged all of my information, I had no reason to answer you.

2. All of that tech and hardware was built upon PC in the previous gen. All of the hardware came from PC hardware. Every new piece of tech and hardware is first adopted on PC. It drives forward the performance companies. PC is the hardware. There is no debating that. But I suppose we can debate engine advancements after you lost that debate:

• Farcry/Crysis engines, a huge PC innovation. The absolute benchmark of last gen. You pretty much already lost this debate too.
  • Witcher 1/2 engine, PC. Witcher 3 engine, PC advancements by far again. CDP did not make these with consoles in mind.
  • UE4 tons of PC exclusives and games, more than any other system: and takes most advantage of PC.
  • Batman Engine: always most effects and capabilities on PC. PC used as evolution/test-bed for their next engine.
  • ID Tech 5 was made at the same time as consoles but came out 20 days later due to tweaking, you're trying to trick people by using this one.
  • Frostbite 2.0 a huge leap and saw extremely superior capabilities in PC BF3, as did many other multiplat engines.
  • Star Citizen. Nothing else needs to be said.

Basically, during this phase of the gen....PC is what is driving all of those new video cards to be released for the next 7 years. PC is why new models are made, why new effects are created in multiplats and pc-exclusives. This is the test bed. This is when and where advancements are made for next gen! These effects and cards which are created on the guinea pig known as PC...... will give birth and then be seen in Gen-9 consoles (in an inferior and quickly out-dated form).

Thank us later =)

3. Nice dodge. Is this you basically admitting PC had the most new genres last gen compared to any one console? Good to see you finally understand you are wrong.

#389 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

Cranler was smart enough to stop using steam-survey when it bit him in the ass.

Huggles however keeps flip-flopping.

When did it bite me in the ass?

#390 Edited by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Cranler said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Cranler said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Cranler said:

1. The new quote chain was started by me and you dodged all of my information, I had no reason to answer you.

2. All of that tech and hardware was built upon PC in the previous gen. All of the hardware came from PC hardware. Every new piece of tech and hardware is first adopted on PC. It drives forward the performance companies. PC is the hardware.

• Farcry/Crysis engines, a huge PC innovation. The absolute benchmark of last gen.
  • Witcher 1/2 engine, PC. Witcher 3 engine, PC advancements by far again. CDP did not make these with consoles in mind.
  • UE4 tons of PC exclusives and games, more than any other system: and takes most advantage of PC.
  • Batman Engine: always most effects and capabilities on PC. PC used as evolution/test-bed for their next engine.
  • ID Tech 5 was made at the same time as consoles but came out 20 days later due to tweaking, you're trying to trick people by using this one.
  • Frostbite 2.0 a huge leap and saw extremely superior capabilities in PC BF3, as did many other multiplat engines.

Basically, during this phase of the gen....PC is what is driving all of those new video cards to be released for the next 7 years. PC is why new models are made, why new effects are created in multiplats and pc-exclusives. This is the test bed. This is when and where advancements are made for next gen! These effects and cards which are created on the guinea pig known as PC...... will give birth and then be seen in Gen-9 consoles (in an inferior and quickly out-dated form).

Thank us later =)

3. Nice dodge. Is this you basically admitting PC had the most new genres last gen compared to any one console? Good to see you finally understand you are wrong.

Witcher 1 engine? That games graphics were out of date when it released. The optimization was terrible too.

Engine used for Far Cry 2 was built with consoles in mind. Crysis was the beginning of Cryteks downfall.

Unreal Engine is becoming popular with indie devs dues to its low sub fees. UE 4 doesn't automatically mean better graphics. Daylight?

Batman devs waited on new gen for huge graphical upgrade

Don't confuse game names with engine names. Rage is the engine used in GTA 4

BF 3 came out 6 years after the 360 so it better be superior on pc

Still not impressed with Star Citizen. Rendering stars and asteroids isn't doing anything for me. Waiting for on foot gameplay.

New consoles are whats driving gpu sales since it's next gen multiplats that have the highest reqs.

Thank us later? You don't even game on pc and I doubt you're a dev either.

What dodge? The pc caught up a little, so what?

Still waiting for your explanation of how cover systems make games easier.

#391 Posted by melonfarmerz (1294 posts) -

@mr_huggles_dog: no. do you not see that your statement collapses on itself?

#392 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (2222 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

2. All of that tech and hardware was built upon PC in the previous gen. All of the hardware came from PC hardware. Every new piece of tech and hardware is first adopted on PC. It drives forward the performance companies. PC is the hardware.

• Farcry/Crysis engines, a huge PC innovation. The absolute benchmark of last gen.

Thank us later =)

1. Witcher 1 engine? That games graphics were out of date when it released. The optimization was terrible too.
  2. Engine used for Far Cry 2 was built with consoles in mind. Crysis was the beginning of Cryteks downfall.
  3. Unreal Engine is becoming popular with indie devs dues to its low sub fees. UE 4 doesn't automatically mean better graphics. Daylight?
  4. Batman devs waited on new gen for huge graphical upgrade
  5. Don't confuse game names with engine names. Rage is the engine used in GTA 4
  6. BF 3 came out 6 years after the 360 so it better be superior on pc
  7. Still not impressed with Star Citizen. Rendering stars and asteroids isn't doing anything for me. Waiting for on foot gameplay.
  8. New consoles are whats driving gpu sales since it's next gen multiplats that have the highest reqs.
  9. Thank us later? You don't even game on pc and I doubt you're a dev either.
  10. What dodge? The pc caught up a little, so what?
  11. Still waiting for your explanation of how cover systems make games easier.
  1. You skipped Witcher 2 and 3....good one. Both respectively being better looking than any console game in that gen (PC version), and being made with PC in mind regardless of consoles coming out or not.
  2. You just dodged the most important one. CryEngine PC innovation that spawned 4 ranks of engines. Just look how many games are utilizing it now...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CryEngine
  3. An easy to use and cheap engine that allows for Indy's to make great looking games or more experienced devs to make amazing looking games. Innovation.
  4. Batman Devs always put the most effects and features into the PC version.
  5. Sorry.
  6. Ofcourse its superior. It almost always it. These kind of things drive new video cards to be made. Video cards that get watered down into the next gen consoles. PC drives forward hardware.
  7. Your opinion is noted...but SC destroys anything capable on consoles in that scale.
  8. While this is debatable (http://www.vg247.com/2014/07/12/pc-gaming-hardware-worth-double-console-gaming-market-value-report/) , it's only a thing that happens at the start of the gen. The next 6 years when GPU manufacturers constnatly push out new cards and tech, well, that is all PC.
  9. Another off-topic opinion answer.
  10. Caught up a little? Lol.....It dominated any other 1 system.
  11. It was obviously my opinion. It allows me to hide and peak out unscathed. I personally can't stand it.

I think we can conclude both PC and console drive forward the industry in innovation and evolution of games. But when it comes to hardware (CPU/GPU), that shit is literally created and advanced with PC.

Also, when I say console, I mean all 3. There is not 1 console that touches PC in anything we've been discussing,....remember that Cranler. Remember it well.

#393 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Cranler said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

Thank us later =)

1. Witcher 1 engine? That games graphics were out of date when it released. The optimization was terrible too.
  2. Engine used for Far Cry 2 was built with consoles in mind. Crysis was the beginning of Cryteks downfall.
  3. Unreal Engine is becoming popular with indie devs dues to its low sub fees. UE 4 doesn't automatically mean better graphics. Daylight?
  4. Batman devs waited on new gen for huge graphical upgrade
  5. Don't confuse game names with engine names. Rage is the engine used in GTA 4
  6. BF 3 came out 6 years after the 360 so it better be superior on pc
  7. Still not impressed with Star Citizen. Rendering stars and asteroids isn't doing anything for me. Waiting for on foot gameplay.
  8. New consoles are whats driving gpu sales since it's next gen multiplats that have the highest reqs.
  9. Thank us later? You don't even game on pc and I doubt you're a dev either.
  10. What dodge? The pc caught up a little, so what?
  11. Still waiting for your explanation of how cover systems make games easier.
  1. You skipped Witcher 2 and 3....good one. Both respectively being better looking than any console game in that gen (PC version), and being made with PC in mind regardless of consoles coming out or not.
  2. You just dodged the most important one. CryEngine PC innovation that spawned 4 ranks of engines. Just look how many games are utilizing it now...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CryEngine
  3. An easy to use and cheap engine that allows for Indy's to make great looking games or more experienced devs to make amazing looking games. Innovation.
  4. Batman Devs always put the most effects and features into the PC version.
  5. Sorry.
  6. Ofcourse its superior. It almost always it. These kind of things drive new video cards to be made. Video cards that get watered down into the next gen consoles. PC drives forward hardware.
  7. Your opinion is noted...but SC destroys anything capable on consoles in that scale.
  8. While this is debatable (http://www.vg247.com/2014/07/12/pc-gaming-hardware-worth-double-console-gaming-market-value-report/) , it's only a thing that happens at the start of the gen. The next 6 years when GPU manufacturers constnatly push out new cards and tech, well, that is all PC.
  9. Another off-topic opinion answer.
  10. Caught up a little? Lol.....It dominated any other 1 system.
  11. It was obviously my opinion. It allows me to hide and peak out unscathed. I personally can't stand it.

I think we can conclude both PC and console drive forward the industry in innovation and evolution of games. But when it comes to hardware (CPU/GPU), that shit is literally created and advanced with PC.

Also, when I say console, I mean all 3. There is not 1 console that touches PC in anything we've been discussing,....remember that Cranler. Remember it well.

1. Of course there will be the odd pc game that pushes graphics without the help of consoles. A pc only Witcher 3 may not have been economically viable though.

2. Not many games and they're either multiplats or low budget undies

3. And most if not all will be on console also

4. Batman devs waited for next gen consoles to make huge upgrades

6. Console would simply use proprietary hardware if pc gaming were dead

7. What scale? All I see is dogfighting in space where there's little to be rendered

8. Consoles cost $400 or less. Most people spend much more on gaming pc's. You can't deny that minimum reqs on games have been pretty much the same for years and now are suddenly skyrocketing due to the new consoles

9. Opinion answer? You claim to be a part of pc gaming, prove it

10. Why does it have to dominate 1 system? Are you implying that a pc gamer could have had a capable pc from 2005-now for $400? Console gamers are fragmented by brand competition while pc isn't. Totally different environment. Stop comparing all of pc to one $400 prebuilt system.

11. Are you saying that you can't hide and see around corners without a cover system?

The hardware isn't fully utilized until new consoles come out. Pc gamers keep moving up in res because most games aren't utilizing the hardware.

#394 Edited by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:

i doubt a typical pc gamer out there would have seen the PS4 release, and then immediately bought a >1.84 TF GPU.

what's the impetus for a GPU change? well it's probably going to be a demanding game, or perhaps the release of new graphics hardware (coming later this year).

They'll see that the reqs for multiplats have suddenly skyrocketed once devs go next gen only and upgrade. Most demanding games this year are all multiplats.

Some multiplats that have last gen versions still have big reqs on pc.

Shadow of Mordor:

• Minimum:

• Processor: Intel Core i5-750, 2.67 GHz | AMD Phenom II X4 965, 3.4 GHz
    • Memory: 3 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 | AMD Radeon HD 5850
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Hard Drive: 25 GB available space

#395 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (2222 posts) -

@Cranler said:

10. Why does it have to dominate 1 system? Are you implying that a pc gamer could have had a capable pc from 2005-now for $400? Console gamers are fragmented by brand competition while pc isn't. Totally different environment. Stop comparing all of pc to one $400 prebuilt system.

Lets make this clear. There is not 1 system. Not 1 that touches PC in ANYTHING we've been discussing in the last 8 pages. You will never be able to have 1 console beat PC. This fact alone is why I will always see, and facts helping me, PC as the absolute superior system.

As far as all 4 systems we discuss here at SW are concerned, PC is sure as **** at the forefront against any 1 of them.

I almost can't believe I allow you to talk me into this 3(6) vs 1 garbage. Whats sad is even when its against that many, we still win.

#396 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Cranler said:

We seem to be going back and forth w/ the same things on all of that. so I'm not going to do that anymore. I'm going to continue to beleive I'm right with the facts on my side. There is no point in further spamming 100's of pages of this same shit over and over. To each their own.

That being said, lets make this clear. There is not 1 system. Not 1 that touches PC in ANYTHING we've been discussing in the last 8 pages. You will never be able to have 1 console beat PC. This fact alone is why I will always see, and facts helping me, PC as the absolute superior system.

Where did I say that pc wasn't superior. That's why I spend a lot more on pc than console hardware. I just point out specific things I disagree with.

If console gaming were monopolized like computer gaming...

#397 Edited by PimpHand_Gamer (2318 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Console have none.

Console gamers even complain about thinking by attempting to mock and dismiss strategy titles.

Because apparently thinking and engaging in a game is bad, or something. Needs more QTE.

Intellectuals and the games they prefer is completely decoupled. Even Mathematicians and physicists may opt to play God of War, COD or even Bejewled. It's a preference in game styles an individual enjoys which really has nothing to do with the definition of intellect. You make it out as if the types of games one enjoys is a bad thing? Some gamers like to relax, not stress, especially those with stressful jobs. So a QTE or a game on rails might appeal to them a lot more. If it does, then why would you or anyone else here care?....Perhaps you care because you wish the more complicated or high difficulty games were far more common and received developer's top priorities or attention than what they do.

The actual reason why consoles don't see as many strategy games, which has been stated for decades is due to several reasons, one being the controls and trying to fit a game like Starcraft to be fully functional on a gamepad without some stiff changes. It's pretty easy to see why and providing a peripheral included with the game to make such a game just as intended would cost too much. There has been a number of strategy games on console platforms but they see more simplistic gameplay standards that others consider dumbed down

I don't see how anyone dismissing strategy games means they don't like to think. There are no shortages of puzzles in most every type of genre. If anyone dismisses it, it's because they don't find that genre appealing. As a PC and console gamer myself, I hate most strategy games cause I find them convoluted or get bored with them quickly, they also don't often push the hardware envelope and may not feel as immersive and plausible as say a FPS game.

The real lack of intellect is all these PC vs Console hate/bashing threads because the answer is very simple. It's about individual preferences. Why everyone keeps making big deals about hardware or the consistent influx of easier or non hardcore games makes no other logical sense than to say it's based on pure jealousy and the desire to be part of a group that one can deem superior. That's Jr. High crap right there.

#398 Posted by uninspiredcup (24920 posts) -

@pimphand_gamer said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Console have none.

Intellectuals and the games they prefer is completely decoupled. Even Mathematicians and physicists may opt to play God of War, COD or even Bejewled. It's a preference in game styles an individual enjoys which really has nothing to do with the definition of intellect. You make it out as if the types of games one enjoys is a bad thing? Some gamers like to relax, not stress, especially those with stressful jobs. So a QTE or a game on rails might appeal to them a lot more. If it does, then why would you or anyone else here care?....Perhaps you care because you wish the more complicated or high difficulty games were far more common and received developer's top priorities or attention than what they do.

The actual reason why consoles don't see as many strategy games, which has been stated for decades is due to several reasons, one being the controls and trying to fit a game like Starcraft to be fully functional on a gamepad without some stiff changes.

I don't see how anyone dismissing strategy games means they don't like to think. There are no shortages of puzzles in most every type of genre. If anyone dismisses it, it's because they don't find that genre appealing. As a PC and console gamer myself, I hate most strategy games cause I find them convoluted or get bored with them quickly, they also don't often push the hardware envelope and may not feel as immersive and plausible as say a FPS game.

The real lack of intellect is all these PC vs Console hate/bashing threads because the answer is very simple. It's about individual preferences. Why everyone keeps making big deals about hardware or the consistent influx of easier or non hardcore games makes no other logical sense than to say it's based on pure jealousy and the desire to be part of a group that one can deem superior. That's Jr. High crap right there.

But I'm right.

#399 Posted by Mr_Huggles_dog (7805 posts) -

@melonfarmerz said:

@mr_huggles_dog: no. do you not see that your statement collapses on itself?

Thats such a dumb thing to say.

Whatever you want to say...you're a hypocrite and you have nothing to defend yourself with but empty "clever" bullshit insinuations.

#400 Posted by dakan45 (18819 posts) -

@amazonangry: Hey, welcome to reallity where pc gaming has more exlusives than all consoles combined, pc gaming makes more money than all consoles combined and 50% of devs work on pc.

PWND!!