Why nothing even comes close to the PC right now...

• 143 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by KungfuKitten (25165 posts) -
[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"] I payed $299 for a ps3, and have spent $60 on a game under five times. With online vendors like amazon, it's rather common to get newer releases for $39. Oddly enough, with October/November being a popular relapse window, new games in that time frame often drop to $25-$30 for the shopping season. Pc confuses me. First, getting the great visuals and framerates with not having to upgrade for a minute costs some money and research. Second, I often hear that people game on monitors higher than 1080p. Now, I'm fully aware that there are monitors with very high resolutions, but is is a fact that a plasma gives better motion and color accuracy. ....and those pro LCD panels are very very expensive.Heirren

I suppose in the USA consoles and console games get discounts very fast, in europe I can find PC games about 15 euro's cheaper consistently than console games. Which makes sense because you don't pay for license fees. I don't really understand how console games could be cheaper. There are online forums that help people who are trying to put together the right PC components. It's not something that you have to figure out, and I wouldn't try go beyond 1080p for some time unless you're rilly rich.
You could just hook up the PC to a TV if you prefer those. I wouldn't go plasma though, they devour electricity and burn in/ghost easily.

I'm looking to build a pc next year. I'd either she'll out for a really nice LCD panel, or go plasma. Consumer LCD displays are atrocious.

If you're going to sit within 1.5 foot distance I would advice to not go bigger than a 24 inch. Or at least, it's not really necessary because you might have to start moving your head around to see what is happening in corners of the screen.
#52 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

[QUOTE="iamrob7"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]I'm probably going to build a gaming pc around the time the next consoles launch. I don't kid myself, though. Building a gaming of, right, is expensive. $300 for a gaming pc? Lol, how?! Please explain. First, saving money at the start just means that more money will be spent down the line. ...KungfuKitten

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-introducing-the-digital-foundry-pc

Here is a £300 PC built by Digital foundry 5-6 months ago that will deliver multiplats at slightly higher settings and almost double the framerate of their console counterparts. The same PC will be around £100 cheaper by now.

Depends what you want though, if you want the ultra settings in super high resolution @60 FPS you are going to have to pay for it. If you are satisfied with something just quite a bit better than what the current consoles provide you don't have to pay much at all and that PC will last just as long as this current console generation lasts because those multiplats are limited by the consoles.

next gen ~ $400 console
$50 * 5 year gen ~ $250 for online
15 games per year * 5 year gen ~ $750 license fee
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- +
~ $1400 PC hardware (no screen) budget per 5 year gen

I don't get why people think PC is that more expensive? It's cheaper for most gamers. Some places in my country offer you to pay your PC in 12 months. Maybe that could soften the blow if you don't have that kind of cash to spend right at the start of a gen.

More like $300 for the system (is what I paid for my ps3), $0 for online, and 15 games per year at $10-$20 each. That vs $1,800+ to build the new PC I am currently working on. Suddenly PC gaming doesn't look even close. Console gaming is cheaper unless you are one of the many fools who buy consoles when they first release at full price as well as pay full price for games instead of wait til they are $20 or buying used. Or you aren't too serious about your gaming and buy a cheap (already outdated) PC that will need to be upgraded a lot sooner. Then PC gaming might be cheaper.
#53 Posted by nethernova (5599 posts) -

Yeah, the game has an impressive scale. Too bad that it's simply not fun. Played it once, cursed myself for downloading it and went back to Orcs must die 2 and Torchlight 2.

#54 Posted by iamrob7 (2138 posts) -

[QUOTE="iamrob7"]

[QUOTE="GamingVengeance"] looks even better at 1440p :Pfend_oblivion

That game would rape my PC at 1440p. I have a 3770k @4.6Ghz, 12mb RAM and an overclocked GTX 580, planetside 2 still struggles to maintain 50+fps in big battles at high settings 1080p. I can only imagine what this game would be like with a triple 30" monitor setup with the hardware to back it up.

12 mb RAM?

lol, typo, 12GB.

#55 Posted by iamrob7 (2138 posts) -

[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"]

[QUOTE="iamrob7"]

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-introducing-the-digital-foundry-pc

Here is a £300 PC built by Digital foundry 5-6 months ago that will deliver multiplats at slightly higher settings and almost double the framerate of their console counterparts. The same PC will be around £100 cheaper by now.

Depends what you want though, if you want the ultra settings in super high resolution @60 FPS you are going to have to pay for it. If you are satisfied with something just quite a bit better than what the current consoles provide you don't have to pay much at all and that PC will last just as long as this current console generation lasts because those multiplats are limited by the consoles.

AmazonTreeBoa

next gen ~ $400 console
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- +

I don't get why people think PC is that more expensive? It's cheaper for most gamers. Some places in my country offer you to pay your PC in 12 months. Maybe that could soften the blow if you don't have that kind of cash to spend right at the start of a gen.

More like $300 for the system (is what I paid for my ps3), $0 for online, and 15 games per year at $10-$20 each. That vs $1,800+ to build the new PC I am currently working on. Suddenly PC gaming doesn't look even close. Console gaming is cheaper unless you are one of the many fools who buy consoles when they first release at full price as well as pay full price for games instead of wait til they are $20 or buying used. Or you aren't too serious about your gaming and buy a cheap (already outdated) PC that will need to be upgraded a lot sooner. Then PC gaming might be cheaper.

If all you want is a PC that can deliver multiplats in superior graphical settings and at a superior framerate to your PS3, $300 is more than enough.

#56 Posted by amaneuvering (4649 posts) -

That actually looks really cool. Very dynamic and engaging.

#57 Posted by biggest_loser (24275 posts) -
That game does look pretty sweet. Right now though I'm playing through Uncharted 2 for the first time! :D
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
#58 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -
[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="KungfuKitten"] I suppose in the USA consoles and console games get discounts very fast, in europe I can find PC games about 15 euro's cheaper consistently than console games. Which makes sense because you don't pay for license fees. I don't really understand how console games could be cheaper. There are online forums that help people who are trying to put together the right PC components. It's not something that you have to figure out, and I wouldn't try go beyond 1080p for some time unless you're rilly rich.
You could just hook up the PC to a TV if you prefer those. I wouldn't go plasma though, they devour electricity and burn in/ghost easily.KungfuKitten
I'm looking to build a pc next year. I'd either she'll out for a really nice LCD panel, or go plasma. Consumer LCD displays are atrocious.

If you're going to sit within 1.5 foot distance I would advice to not go bigger than a 24 inch. Or at least, it's not really necessary because you might have to start moving your head around to see what is happening in corners of the screen.

Oh I would never sit that close if I used a plasma. If I did go LCD I'd get the best panel size for the, give or take, 2ft viewing distance. I understand what you are saying and agree with you. In a lot of cases a smaller monitor for pc games is better.
#59 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="iamrob7"]

I lose track of who cows are, are they Xbox gamers or PS3 gamers? They all seem the same to me.

Anyway, just celebrating the complete and total victory of the PC as a platform, isn't that what system wars is about? You know, which system is best.

iamrob7

If your system were universally superior, wouldn't most of us have switched by now? It's not like we can't find a Fry's.

Most of "you" don't actually comprehend the situation. Some are in denial, some are delusional and many are just confused.

A difference of opinion is not the same as a lack of comprehension.
#60 Posted by Comduter (2315 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkWe83bud1A

One of the many PC exclusives that are really putting the PC in a completely different league to consoles right now. It will be nice when new consoles get released and SW can hopefully see some sort of competition for the PC again, at least for a while. Right now the PC is so dominant it has almost become embarassing to even mention it. It's like Mike Tyson picking a fight with a 10 year old girl.

With Valve announcing their convenient PC for the living room, I don't really see what consoles have left? The PC dominates in every single area, the most games, the best games in every genre except perhaps sports, the most high scoring exclusives, the best graphics, the best sound, the greatest versatility/variety (mods) etc, the best version of every multiplatform game...

The only thing consoles had left was the convenience of playing on your couch without having to set things up. Now that is gone, what is left for consoles? Expense? Well consoles are cheap I suppose, but you can get a PC for $200-250 now that will play any multiplat in higher graphical settings than any console.Plus with the expense of console games compared to PC games I don't really see much of a cost difference right now.

So that's it then, the last thing console gamers could cling to has gone, the PC has crushed them under its mighty boot. What now for hermits on SW?

iamrob7

$200-$250? You can probably buy a PC for that money, but I doubt you'll be able to run much of any games at all on it.

#61 Posted by Bebi_vegeta (13558 posts) -

Well there's games you can't get on PC and are only available to console.

#62 Posted by Bebi_vegeta (13558 posts) -

[QUOTE="iamrob7"]

One of the many PC exclusives that are really putting the PC in a completely different league to consoles right now. It will be nice when new consoles get released and SW can hopefully see some sort of competition for the PC again, at least for a while. Right now the PC is so dominant it has almost become embarassing to even mention it. It's like Mike Tyson picking a fight with a 10 year old girl.

With Valve announcing their convenient PC for the living room, I don't really see what consoles have left? The PC dominates in every single area, the most games, the best games in every genre except perhaps sports, the most high scoring exclusives, the best graphics, the best sound, the greatest versatility/variety (mods) etc, the best version of every multiplatform game...

The only thing consoles had left was the convenience of playing on your couch without having to set things up. Now that is gone, what is left for consoles? Expense? Well consoles are cheap I suppose, but you can get a PC for $200-250 now that will play any multiplat in higher graphical settings than any console.Plus with the expense of console games compared to PC games I don't really see much of a cost difference right now.

So that's it then, the last thing console gamers could cling to has gone, the PC has crushed them under its mighty boot. What now for hermits on SW?

Comduter

$200-$250? You can probably buy a PC for that money, but I doubt you'll be able to run much of any games at all on it.

Yeah pretty much imposible.

#63 Posted by Badosh (12770 posts) -

well no TLoU or GTAV for you and your PC dominaiton theory.

Trinitarian
GTAV will be on PC, and TLOU looks like garbage.
#64 Posted by clyde46 (49053 posts) -
[QUOTE="Trinitarian"]

Badosh

Hey, slow down buddy. TLOU actually looks kinda cool.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
#65 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -
[QUOTE="Trinitarian"]

Badosh

Idiotic statements like this make me laugh. How can you discredit such talented people?
#66 Posted by mariokart64fan (20728 posts) -

well i hate to be the one to break it to you but nintendo has been sold along side pcs for many many years and , that reason alone is why i think wii u is a good contender as it does what ps3 360 cant do , , it innovates and its nintendo , as for ps3 360 you can have them ,

so yes wii u comes close like the nes before it ,

#67 Posted by KungfuKitten (25165 posts) -

[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"]

[QUOTE="iamrob7"]

AmazonTreeBoa

next gen ~ $400 console

Just saying I don't think PS4/720 will let you game without a monthly fee. And what's the point in considering a midgen hardware price? Then in comparison you'd also buy a start of the gen mid/high end PC that is a couple years old. PC's decrease in price faster than consoles. The games will always be cheaper on a PC due to license fees. Maybe if you wait 3 years before buying any game, they become the same price range but by then we're talking about someone who doesn't care about next gen purchases. I'll update it when the new systems are announced. I think the cost of a PC will be way lower.

#68 Posted by gpuking (3914 posts) -
why are there so many dumb pc threads stating the obvious?? Hermits are about to reach cows level of sad around here.mems_1224
LOL so lems think they are the saints of this forum, how very laughable.
#69 Posted by Lonelynight (30050 posts) -
I wish they would create a SEA server, the lag makes in unplayable for me.
#70 Posted by Vatusus (8512 posts) -

Dayum, something tells me Sony will put PlanetSide 2 on the PS4

#71 Posted by Vatusus (8512 posts) -

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]why are there so many dumb pc threads stating the obvious?? Hermits are about to reach cows level of sad around here.gpuking
LOL so lems think they are the saints of this forum, how very laughable.

indeed

#72 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="KungfuKitten"] next gen ~ $400 console

iamrob7

If all you want is a PC that can deliver multiplats in superior graphical settings and at a superior framerate to your PS3, $300 is more than enough.

No it isn't, so stop trying with the ignorance. Any one into PC gaming with even half a brain cell knows that is a flat out lie.
#73 Posted by StormyJoe (7628 posts) -

When will hermits realize that console gamers:

1. Already know that PCs will always be the most powerful (high end PCs, anyway)
  2. Already know that PCs will always dominate in RTS and MMORPG
  3. Already konw that K+M is the most precise input medium for FPS.
  4. Console gamers really don't give a damn about numbers 1, 2, & 3.
#74 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (24619 posts) -

playing pc for PS2?
what a joke game is terrible

here's why:

art style is awful in daylight

horrible optimization, I get 60fps on lowest at 1280x960, specs in sig (except using a 670 now) and my 2600k is at 4.6ghz

I need at least 130 or greater frames per second

Hitdetection is a joke, it's not even client side like BF3

gunplay is terrible

0/10

I get 200fps in BF3 on lowest at 1280x960 and it looks better than PS2 on max.

#75 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29703 posts) -

brb going to download Planetside 2.

#76 Posted by Nohtnym (1552 posts) -

Vatusus

Im thinking the same. I also believe both platform players will be on same servers.

#77 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29703 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vatusus"]

Nohtnym

Im thinking the same. I also believe both platform players will be on same servers.

Kinda like what they should have done for MAG.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
#78 Posted by deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd (12449 posts) -
Its the Eve Online syndrome, yes ok you can grab some good footage that makes the game look epic, too bad the majority of the time is stale and boring.
#79 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

1. Already know that PCs will always be the most powerful (high end PCs, anyway)
StormyJoe
When are you going to learn the difference between hermits and trolls? Because hermits know that console gamers know this stuff already.
#80 Posted by clyde46 (49053 posts) -

playing pc for PS2?
what a joke game is terrible

here's why:

art style is awful in daylight

horrible optimization, I get 60fps on lowest at 1280x960, specs in sig (except using a 670 now) and my 2600k is at 4.6ghz

I need at least 130 or greater frames per second

Hitdetection is a joke, it's not even client side like BF3

gunplay is terrible

0/10

I get 200fps in BF3 on lowest at 1280x960 and it looks better than PS2 on max.

JigglyWiggly_
BF3 is a console game ported to PC.
#81 Posted by Ricardomz (2715 posts) -

whats with all these pc threads?GamingVengeance

Hermits are always insecure.

#82 Posted by JameMcCabe (326 posts) -

The game you showed me looks like it sucks something awful. Now that's a Halo rip-off if I've ever seen one.

#83 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

The game you showed me looks like it sucks something awful. Now that's a Halo rip-off if I've ever seen one.

JameMcCabe
Having played both, it doesn't really play like Halo at all. I don't share the thread creator's enthusiasm for the game (having played the beta and release), but your statement is pretty off the mark.
#84 Posted by iamrob7 (2138 posts) -

[QUOTE="Comduter"]

[QUOTE="iamrob7"]

Bebi_vegeta

Yeah pretty much imposible.

You could run any multiplat at the settings a console uses, easily. Look through the first couple of pages, I posted a link to a Digital foundry article where they did just this.

#85 Posted by iamrob7 (2138 posts) -

JameMcCabe

LOL, hopefully you are a troll, but just in case you aren't. Halo 2, the first Halo game with multiplayer came out 2 years after the original Planetside came out.

Also, Planetside is an awesome game, one that I'm currently hooked on. That's why it has been getting 9/10 9.5/10 from just about everyone, e.g. IGN etc.

To be frank, you just come across a little bitter and jealous.

#86 Posted by iamrob7 (2138 posts) -

[QUOTE="iamrob7"]

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"] More like $300 for the system (is what I paid for my ps3), $0 for online, and 15 games per year at $10-$20 each. That vs $1,800+ to build the new PC I am currently working on. Suddenly PC gaming doesn't look even close. Console gaming is cheaper unless you are one of the many fools who buy consoles when they first release at full price as well as pay full price for games instead of wait til they are $20 or buying used. Or you aren't too serious about your gaming and buy a cheap (already outdated) PC that will need to be upgraded a lot sooner. Then PC gaming might be cheaper.AmazonTreeBoa

No it isn't, so stop trying with the ignorance. Any one into PC gaming with even half a brain cell knows that is a flat out lie.

I posted this link already in this thread, but seeing as you are completely ignorant of reality, I'll post it again.

A £300 PC delivering multiplats in a higher resolution, higher settings and at a much higher framerate than either console. There are comparison videos there for you to check out, I believe Skyrim, BF3 amongst them. That was 6 months ago, the same PC can be bought for just over £200 now.

I'll anticipate your apology.

#87 Posted by iamrob7 (2138 posts) -

StormyJoe

I said a lot more than that, that seems a rather pitiful list, the PC is better in many other much more important ways. So if you are a console gamer and you only knew 1,2 and 3 already, what I said was incredibly enlightening. Try to read carefully before you comment, I'm not sure if you just didn't read the post or you are a bit slow.

#88 Posted by moistsandwich (25 posts) -

What does Valves box do for me? I have my PC set up to a 40" HDTV in my man cave, and have a wireless 360 controller for those games that don't work so well on kb/m. But hey grats to you PC peasants that will eventually get the opportunity to do what I've been doing for years.

See... quite obnoxious right? Thats what you (hermits) sound like when you bash consoles all the time.

#89 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="iamrob7"]

iamrob7

I posted this link already in this thread, but seeing as you are completely ignorant of reality, I'll post it again.

A £300 PC delivering multiplats in a higher resolution, higher settings and at a much higher framerate than either console. There are comparison videos there for you to check out, I believe Skyrim, BF3 amongst them. That was 6 months ago, the same PC can be bought for just over £200 now.

Lol junior, that doesn't prove sh!t. You list the parts need and keep it under $300. That article is a fvcking joke. I stopped reading once I saw the prices. I am actually in the process of building a PC and those prices are wrong. That's without even mms.tioning you are basicly trying to build a PC you will have to upgrade within the year. The OS alone cost $100. Stop making yourself look stupid by using articles with incorrect info and actually list all the parts you would use and link to the site you would be buying these parts from. Yeah I look forward to this one.
#90 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
[QUOTE="iamrob7"]

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"] No it isn't, so stop trying with the ignorance. Any one into PC gaming with even half a brain cell knows that is a flat out lie. AmazonTreeBoa

Lol junior, that doesn't prove sh!t. You list the parts need and keep it under $300. That article is a fvcking joke. I stopped reading once I saw the prices. I am actually in the process of building a PC and those prices are wrong. That's without even mms.tioning you are basicly trying to build a PC you will have to upgrade within the year. The OS alone cost $100. Stop making yourself look stupid by using articles with incorrect info and actually list all the parts you would use and link to the site you would be buying these parts from. Yeah I look forward to this one.

Also list them in $, not whatever it is listed as now. I am not going to sit here and try and figure out how much each price is in american dollars.
#91 Posted by clyde46 (49053 posts) -

AmazonTreeBoa

Also list them in $, not whatever it is listed as now. I am not going to sit here and try and figure out how much each price is in american dollars.

£300 is about $482 USD.

#92 Posted by menes777 (2643 posts) -

The only thing consoles had left was the convenience of playing on your couch without having to set things up. Now that is gone, what is left for consoles? Expense? Well consoles are cheap I suppose, but you can get a PC for $200-250 now that will play any multiplat in higher graphical settings than any console. Plus with the expense of console games compared to PC games I don't really see much of a cost difference right now.

iamrob7

Great post! As usual the consolites can only use denial as an answer.

#93 Posted by iamrob7 (2138 posts) -

[QUOTE="iamrob7"]

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"] No it isn't, so stop trying with the ignorance. Any one into PC gaming with even half a brain cell knows that is a flat out lie. AmazonTreeBoa

You can always tell when someone is insecure, they respond by saying something like "Hey kid" or "lol junior", it's basic psychology. You might want to remember that in future, it just makes you look a bit silly.

I've actually done this before in another thread, here are the same parts used in that article, these parts will build a PC as demonstrated in the article that runs multiplat games in;

- Higher resolution

- Higher graphical settings

- Higher framerate (almost double in some situations)

Than either console

I've used US sites because that seems to be where you are searching, the article lists a PC at £300, for exactly the same parts as in the article you can get it in the US for £230 as shown below;

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Pentium-Dual-Core-Processor-Cache/dp/B005LLBBSS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355184575&sr=1-1&keywords=Intel+Pentium+G840 - $68 - CPU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125396 - $90 - GPU (A better GPU than was rumoured to be in the Xbox 720 by the way)

http://www.amazon.com/ASRock-H61M-U3S3-Intel-Motherboard/dp/B004S0CTNE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355184716&sr=1-1&keywords=ASRock+H61M-VS - $67 - MOBO

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139826 - $19 - RAM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148765 - $60 - HD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026&Tpk=Corsair%20430W - $45 - PSU

http://www.amazon.com/2-Bay-micro-ATX-Computer-Supply-Silver/dp/B004PKQJPQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1355185120&sr=1-2&keywords=desktop+case+matx - $22 - CASE

=£230 or $371-(That's £70 ($100) cheaper than in the article at the cost of a slightly smaller HD and level of RAM, which makes no difference to the performance)

This is for a PC noteably superior to either console graphically in any multiplat. In another 6 months, knock another £50 off that at least.

If I wanted to build a PC on par with console performance, same resolution, graphical settings and framerates, you could knock anything between £40-100 off that price ($70-$160). You don't have to upgrade the PC at all unless you want something better than current console levels of graphical fidelity and fluidity.

Like I said, I'll anticipate your apology.

#94 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

iamrob7

You can always tell when someone is insecure, they respond by saying something like "Hey kid" or "lol junior", it's basic psychology. You might want to remember that in future, it just makes you look a bit silly.

I've actually done this before in another thread, here are the same parts used in that article, these parts will build a PC as demonstrated in the article that runs multiplat games in;

- Higher resolution

Than either console

I've used US sites because that seems to be where you are searching, the article lists a PC at £300, for exactly the same parts as in the article you can get it in the US for £230 as shown below;

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Pentium-Dual-Core-Processor-Cache/dp/B005LLBBSS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355184575&sr=1-1&keywords=Intel+Pentium+G840 - $68 - CPU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125396 - $90 - GPU (A better GPU than was rumoured to be in the Xbox 720 by the way)

http://www.amazon.com/ASRock-H61M-U3S3-Intel-Motherboard/dp/B004S0CTNE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355184716&sr=1-1&keywords=ASRock+H61M-VS - $67 - MOBO

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026&Tpk=Corsair%20430W - $45 - PSU

http://www.amazon.com/2-Bay-micro-ATX-Computer-Supply-Silver/dp/B004PKQJPQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1355185120&sr=1-2&keywords=desktop+case+matx - $22 - CASE

=£230 or $371-(That's £70 ($100) cheaper than in the article at the cost of a slightly smaller HD and level of RAM, which makes no difference to the performance)

This is for a PC noteably superior to either console graphically in any multiplat. In another 6 months, knock another £50 off that at least.

If I wanted to build a PC on par with console performance, same resolution, graphical settings and framerates, you could knock anything between £40-100 off that price ($70-$160). You don't have to upgrade the PC at all unless you want something better than current console levels of graphical fidelity and fluidity.

You forgot the OS, keyboard, and mouse, which puts you well over the price. But hey, at least you tried.
#95 Posted by psymon100 (6835 posts) -

It's a smart budget build. That CPU is actually pretty decent.

Optical drive, and an operating system?

If Linux was the OS, looks like Steam can grant access to 170 games.

#97 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

psymon100
Yeah sadly linux isn't going to cut it. I want access to all PC games, not a small selection. Plus with that build, I would already be having issues running some newer games, so I am already stuck ungrading that PoS build he slapped together. That tower is way to small for me to upgrade properly, so that will need replaced as will the PSU and GPU. Even if the tower wasn't too small for upgrading, it doeant have the air flow I demand to feel safe. He only has one memory stick, so the PC is going to run bad anyways. Need two sticks. Then there is always the monitor because my TV isn't going to cut it as a constant monitor that my family now can't use to watch TV. Also, the HDD is too small to hold what I currently own, let alone future purchases.
#98 Posted by yellosnolvr (19302 posts) -
[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="mems_1224"]why are there so many dumb pc threads stating the obvious?? Hermits are about to reach cows level of sad around here.mems_1224
Only to those who are too stupid to tell the difference between a hermit and a troll.

hermits are trolls, most are anyways.

go on
#99 Posted by iamrob7 (2138 posts) -

[QUOTE="iamrob7"]

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"] Lol junior, that doesn't prove sh!t. You list the parts need and keep it under $300. That article is a fvcking joke. I stopped reading once I saw the prices. I am actually in the process of building a PC and those prices are wrong. That's without even mms.tioning you are basicly trying to build a PC you will have to upgrade within the year. The OS alone cost $100. Stop making yourself look stupid by using articles with incorrect info and actually list all the parts you would use and link to the site you would be buying these parts from. Yeah I look forward to this one.AmazonTreeBoa

- Higher resolution

Than either console

You forgot the OS, keyboard, and mouse, which puts you well over the price. But hey, at least you tried.

Is that supposed to be some sort of joke? You can get a Windows 7 key for £13, a mouse and a keyboard for another £10. Which means I'm still £50 within my price. Even if I bought a quality mouse and keyboard and a windows 7 ultimate key, I'm still well within the £300 range.

On top of that I could easily just replace the items above with these items;

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-nVidia-GeForce-PCI-Express-01G-P3-N988-TR/dp/B0032W602A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355186329&sr=8-1&keywords=9600gt - 9800GT - $45

http://www.amazon.com/White-Label-250GB-7200RPM-ATA100/dp/B002UMH9W8/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355186389&sr=1-5&keywords=250GB+hard+drive- $40 - HD

http://www.amazon.com/Diablotek-400-Watt-Power-Supply-PSDA400/dp/B0009MIP8I/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355186450&sr=1-1&keywords=400w+psu - $20 PSU

Slightly less well branded products and a slightly weaker GPU. Knocking $90 off the price I gave. Which would bring my price down even more, including the Keyboard/Mouse and OS key.

Admitting when you get something wrong shows character, I have every faith in you that you can do it.

#100 Posted by iamrob7 (2138 posts) -

psymon100

Yeah good point, forgot the optical drive, you can get them for £12 from Amazon I suppose if needed, although with Steam I don't think it is really essential these days. I haven't used my optical drive on my desktop since it was built.

OS Key - $20 - Windows 7 (ultimate = $27)

http://www.windows7keystore.me.uk/windows-7-starter-product-key-p-10.html

I've changed some parts in the above post for some less well branded products and a slightly cheaper GPU, knocking $90 off the price. Which will more than the above. I think when you factor in the fact that PC games are so cheap, it's really hard to say PC gaming is all that much more expensive if all you want is console level quality.