Why no surge protector for the 360?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mabris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mabris
Member since 2007 • 240 Posts

Apaprently the official word from MS is that you should not have your 360 hooked up to a power supply, according to this.

Leaving a single component off of surge protection leaves every component hooked up to it exposed as well. Let's say (hypothetically) I had a TV, Receiver (non-optical) and router directly connected to a 360. To the TV and receiver I also had another game system and a DVR hooked up. To the router I also had another computer hooked up. Everything else is hooked up to surge protector.

Even though I've hooked everything else to a surge protector, a single lightening strike can take out everything since the 360 is left unprotected. Why should I expose my entire homet heater and network to lightining damage because the 360 needs to plugged directly into a wall? Great job MS!

vitz3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 vitz3
Member since 2004 • 1884 Posts

Yeah I knew about this stupid idea of theirs. I have it protected anyway and tell them that it isn't whenever I call.

BTW in regards to your sig. Mac OS's are Unix based.

Avatar image for TheDarkDisciple
TheDarkDisciple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TheDarkDisciple
Member since 2004 • 3564 Posts

i have always used a surge protector.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

A lightning strike wiped out our entire neighborhood last Summer. It was horrible lol. Knocked out our power for 3 days and I live in suburbia.

My casualties were loss of PC and N64.

My neighbor and best friend lost 2 PC's, 1 laptop, 2 Sony Wega's, Xbox, PS2, and 360.

My other neighbor and good friend lost 2 laptops, a xbox, and a 360.

This lightning surge was devestating. It crushed tons of electrical appliances in the neighborhood. Bestbuy made a ton of money the following weak via purchases of surge protectors no doubt.

mabris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mabris

Yeah I knew about this stupid idea of theirs. I have it protected anyway and tell them that it isn't whenever I call.

BTW in regards to your sig. Mac OS's are Unix based.

vitz3

Yeah, I know OSX is Unix based. That's why that quote was sig-worthy:D

shaggygrosser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 shaggygrosser
Member since 2003 • 5871 Posts
I have all my home theatre components plugged into a UPS, 360 included. Leaving components unprotected is just retarded.
dhjohns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dhjohns
Member since 2003 • 5105 Posts

i have always used a surge protector.

TheDarkDisciple

Same here. My PS3 and Wii too. :shock:

dhjohns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dhjohns

A lightning strike wiped out our entire neighborhood last Summer. It was horrible lol. Knocked out our power for 3 days and I live in suburbia.

My neighbor and best friend lost 2 PC's, 1 laptop, 2 Sony Wega's, Xbox, PS2, and 360.

This lightning surge was devestating. It crushed tons of electrical appliances in the neighborhood. Bestbuy made a ton of money the following weak via purchases of surge protectors no doubt.

Blackbond

There should be a moment of silence for tragedies such as that.

Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts

Blackbond

I might be wrong, but I doubt surge protectors would of prevented any of that against a lightning strike any how.

AS for me using a surge protecter, I don't have one. Don't even know what one looks like. I have my HDTV, PS3, 360, PC , hub, PC speakers, monitor DS battery charger, fan, and printer. All plugged into the same power outlet using an extension thingy, whatever there called. It's been about year, no disasters yet.

dhjohns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dhjohns
[QUOTE="Blackbond"]

Dahaka-UK

I might be wrong, but I doubt surge protectors would of prevented any of that against a lightning strike any how.

Actually that is the whole point of a surger protector. A good one that is. Too much juice and it cuts itself off.

jetpropilot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jetpropilot
Member since 2008 • 420 Posts

i use surge protectors for everything

heck, my cell phone charger is plugged into one

and it's one of those plain, ole, cheapskate, beatem cell phones (no treo/blackberry/iphone here)

Darth_DuMas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Darth_DuMas
Member since 2006 • 2687 Posts

Its got to be better for your electricals as well, especially if you have one with the feature that cleans the electricity (stabalises the current flow) which is designed for your av equipment.

Also its better for safety reasons in general not just to stop your stuff breaking. The regular cheap un protected 6 or 8 plugs to one can't be too safe.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts
[QUOTE="Dahaka-UK"][QUOTE="Blackbond"]

dhjohns

Actually that is the whole point of a surger protector. A good one that is. Too much juice and it cuts itself off.

But they usually caveat that they're no good against direct strikes, which being powerful enough to arc through air will carry more than enough juice to jump whatever gaps are put up by circuit breakers. They'll work against indirect surges (ie. the bolt strikes the line or the neighbor's house and tries to go through the lines to your house).
dhjohns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dhjohns
[QUOTE="dhjohns"][QUOTE="Dahaka-UK"][QUOTE="Blackbond"]

HuusAsking

But they usually caveat that they're no good against direct strikes, which being powerful enough to arc through air will carry more than enough juice to jump whatever gaps are put up by circuit breakers. They'll work against indirect surges (ie. the bolt strikes the line or the neighbor's house and tries to go through the lines to your house).

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. Yeah if you are THE HOUSE that got nailed, then sorry. But the other guys on the block, should be fine.

shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts
i think it has a built in surge protecter.
mabris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mabris
[QUOTE="Blackbond"]

Dahaka-UK

AS for me using a surge protecter, I don't have one. Don't even know what one looks like. I have my HDTV, PS3, 360, PC , hub, PC speakers, monitor DS battery charger, fan, and printer. All plugged into the same power outlet using an extension thingy, whatever there called. It's been about year, no disasters yet.

There are two parts to a surge protector. One is a type of electronic buffer that absorbs minor everyday line surges. The capacity for this is indicated by the Joules rating of a surge protector, and better ones have an indicator showing when this cpapacity is exhausted (the higher the J, the longer the surge protector will last). The othe part is a simple fuse which will protect against major surges, such as a lightining strike.

In addition, most surge protectors also come with a warranty insuring connected devices.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4867 Posts

taken from the link above

"Apparently the official word from Microsoft support is that the Xbox 360 should be plugged directly into the wall, bypassing any sort of surge protection."

Always use a surge protector for any electrical device plugged in the wall.

Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#19 Bgrngod
Member since 2002 • 5766 Posts

i think it has a built in surge protecter.shoeman12

Is that what the 3 red lights signal? A surge has been protected?

Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#20 Bgrngod
Member since 2002 • 5766 Posts

My 360 is plugged into a monster brand surge protector. This thing is HUGE. I have my DLP, PS3 etc etc, EVERYTHING plugged into this surge protector.

There is no chance in hell any of it will ever be plugged directly into a wall. None at all. I couldn't care less what MS's stupid reasoning for going directly into a wall is. It's bunk. There is zero reason, what-so-ever, that plugging into a surge protector could possibly harm an electronic device.

mabris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mabris

My 360 is plugged into a monster brand surge protector. This thing is HUGE. I have my DLP, PS3 etc etc, EVERYTHING plugged into this surge protector.

There is no chance in hell any of it will ever be plugged directly into a wall. None at all. I couldn't care less what MS's stupid reasoning for going directly into a wall is. It's bunk. There is zero reason, what-so-ever, that plugging into a surge protector could possibly harm an electronic device.

Bgrngod

I know. I can't imagine what their reasoning is for that. Probably a way to put the blame on the consumer if they happen to use a surge protector. "RROD, well we told you not to use a surge protector..."