Why nintendo's success won't last

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

For those who can't read, here's the summary of the paragraphs before the red:

Nintendo lost its hardcore gamers. The wii's consumer base consists of loyal fans and casual gamers. What is popular doesn't last and nintendo cannot expect to keep it's consumer base of casual gamers, left only with loyal fans.

As many of you may have noticed, the wii is quickly losing the little support it had from the hardcore gaming crowd. More and more are hardcore gamers noticing and finding fault in nintendo's shift to casual gaming, from what once was a company that took games more seriously. Nintendo fanboys may object, but the evidence is right here. The hardcore gaming crowd shows little interest in the wii lineup, despite the multiple threads posted of nintendo's' best upcoming titles. Many wii owners have admitted their consoles sit and collect dust. But because only nintendo fanboys would disagree with this, I'll cut to the chase:

The wii is not a gamer's phenomenon. The wii has thrust itself into pop culture and as many nintendo fans have claimed, "people who have never played games are playing the wii now." Casual gamers are it's major consumerbase. Despite the fact that many hardcore gamers may have initially invested in the console, what hardcore gamers are going to buy the system now when nintendo is telling them that hardcore games for the wii are animal crossing?

The wii is pop culture. But if history is any guide, what is popular does not stay popular. When motion sensing isnt new for a console anymore, can nintendo really expect the casual gamers to return next generation? Even developers such as Suda, behind No More Heroes, has stated that he thought that it was going to be a serious console, but it turned out that it wasn't. He doesn't expect the casual boom to last. And I don't know about you, but I feel the same way.

When nintendo loses its hardcore gamers and its casual gamers what will it do? Casual gamers are not going to stick with the wii. Give the hardcore gamers what they want and they will be more inclined to stick with you. Sadly, I do not believe nintendo can hold either by the time they produce the next console. If nintendo is not already addressing this issue, they are blind. Nintendo is quickly losing solid 3rd party support, despite the fact that there are some good games. They're just not the kind of big names that nintendo needs to win back the only gamers that will stick with them in the long run, even if they are good titles. I believe that the shift to casual may be nintendo's greatest error. Who will stand by them in the next generation but their loyal fans? Are they enough to sell consoles alone?

What do you think?

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts
How do you argue with numbers? Statics don't lie. An average of 500,000 consumers purchasing a Wii every month can't be wrong.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hakanakumono

How do you argue with numbers? Statics don't lie. An average of 500,000 consumers purchasing a Wii every month can't be wrong.Micropixel

I'm not.

What makes you think those numbers will continue next generation? I don't believe they will, and my reasoning is above.

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Micropixel

[QUOTE="Micropixel"]How do you argue with numbers? Statics don't lie. An average of 500,000 consumers purchasing a Wii every month can't be wrong.hakanakumono

I'm not.

What makes you think those numbers will continue next generation? I don't believe they will, and my reasoning is above.

Well there's alot of things that CAN happen, but who really knows?

Point is, Nintendo's direction is working right before everyone's eyes. And it just baffles me that people will sit here and say it's failing. It's clearly not. If you want the truth, look at the black and white of it: There are MORE casual gamers than there are Hardcore gamers. Nintendo is proving that right now.

If the Hardcore gamers are on the other platforms as you say, and those machines are trailing the Wii, then what does that tell you?

Who's really the weak link here?

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hakanakumono
[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="Micropixel"]How do you argue with numbers? Statics don't lie. An average of 500,000 consumers purchasing a Wii every month can't be wrong.Micropixel

I'm not.

Point is, Nintendo's direction is working right before everyone's eyes. And it just baffles me that people will sit here and say it's failing. It's clearly not. If you want the truth, look at the black and white of it: There are MORE casual gamers than there are Hardcore gamers. Nintendo is proving that right now.

If the Hardcore gamers are on the other platforms as you say, and those machines are trailing the Wii, then what does that tell you?

I don't believe the casual gamers that bought into the wii will stay with it into the next generation. I believe the wii brought many new people into games, but the same new people probably won't stay with games.

Avatar image for metalgear-solid
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 metalgear-solid
Member since 2004 • 7001 Posts
I don't understand why the Wii is selling at all. Nintendo should be ashamed.
chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 chutup
Member since 2005 • 7656 Posts

You're assuming that Nintendo is going to keep doing the exact same thing in the next generation. But if they're smart, they will come out with something new. They've already got that Free Motion widget for Wii Sports Resort. Casuals will love that kind of stuff.

You also contradict yourself by implying that 'hardcore gamers' are a more stable market than casual gamers. Yet you are the one claiming that hardcore gamers have all deserted Nintendo.

Nintendo has a huge userbase and huge popularity among the general public. That doesn't just disappear. To lose that kind of support you need to make some seriously bad decisions, like Sony.

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Micropixel
[QUOTE="Micropixel"][QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="Micropixel"]How do you argue with numbers? Statics don't lie. An average of 500,000 consumers purchasing a Wii every month can't be wrong.hakanakumono

I'm not.

I don't believe the casual gamers that bought into the wii will stay with it into the next generation. I believe the wii brought many new people into games, but the same new people probably won't stay with games.

With an average of 500,000 units sold every single month since it's launch, I can't really say that the "Pop Culture" theory favors your statement. If that was the case, I think sales would have started dipping months ago. In other words, the Casual gamer would know by now if he or she is enjoying what they're playing.

Think about it: If they've stuck around this long and come this far...

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Everything you wrote is based solely on your opinion, no facts. It sounds like you base the majority of your opinions from this forum alone. I can tell you that this forum in no way represents the outside world or the hardcore gamer crowd in general.

I know actual people, not posters that do not care about graphics, hype, online multiplayer etc. unlike the majority of young posters on this site and they love the Wii and some of it's less-than-popular games that others here continuously overlook. Most of them are hardcore "hermits" and "sheep" that laugh at the b.s. that's spewed here.

The Wii has already won this gen, no other console this gen will even come close to the numbers that Wii will achieve. Contrary to popular belief the Wii has a growing number of good third party devs making games as we speak. They are also deep in development with cornerstone game franchises like Star Fox, Zelda, Mario etc. and they will be out sooner than you might think.

Your notion that the Wii will suddenly stop being popular is absurd imo, people here have been saying the exact same thing for a year now. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but I think yours is way off.

Avatar image for metalgear-solid
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 metalgear-solid
Member since 2004 • 7001 Posts
Nintendo making good decisions? Right... *cough* GameCube *cough*
Avatar image for duble_Needler23
duble_Needler23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 duble_Needler23
Member since 2004 • 5200 Posts

Meh...the only reason I'd say there's no way nintendo will actually fully "lose" their core gamer audience is because of one game:

Zelda.

Honestly, Nintendo fans and hardcore gamers alike will buy a nintendo system for this one game. Zelda is arguably the biggest/most important/most hyped "hardcore" gaming franchise in the world. And Nintendo makes it...so even if they make a system full of crap next generation, as long as they release a zelda game, you can probably bet that a lot of the hardcore audience will buy a Wii 2, or whatever they're going to call it.

Hell, I'd buy their next system for a new zelda game and I'm not a huge nintendo fan : /. Guess they have me brainwashed...*shrugs*

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

Everything you wrote is based solely on your opinion, no facts. It sounds like you base the majority of your opinions from this forum alone. I can tell you that this forum in no way represents the outside world or the hardcore gamer crowd in general.

I know actual people, not posters that do not care about graphics, hype, online multiplayer etc. unlike the majority of young posters on this site and they love the Wii and some of it's less-than-popular games that others here continuously overlook. Most of them are hardcore "hermits" and "sheep" that laugh at the b.s. that's spewed here.

The Wii has already won this gen, no other console this gen will even come close to the numbers that Wii will achieve. Contrary to popular belief the Wii has a growing number of good third party devs making games as we speak. They are also deep in development with cornerstone game franchises like Star Fox, Zelda, Mario etc. and they will be out sooner than you might think.

Your notion that the Wii will suddenly stop being popular is absurd imo, people here have been saying the exact same thing for a year now. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but I think yours is way off.

Bigboi500

But who is to say that the Wii 2 will not be a Dreamcast or PS3?

Nintendo survived the N64 and Gamecube by the support from the hardcore gamers, will they still be there when Wii 2 launches if Nintendo keeps pushing us away?

This isn't about this gen. Nintendo has already won this gen. The TC is talking about next gen.
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JLF1

With an average of 500,000 units sold every single month since it's launch, I can't really say that the "Pop Culture" theory favors your statement. If that was the case, I think sales would have started dipping months ago. In other words, the Casual gamer would know by now if he or she is enjoying what they're playing.

Micropixel

The Wii wouldn't sell 500K if it wasn't a "pop culture". The casual buyers will sooner or later get tired of the Wii the same they got tired of the PS2, the problem is we don't know when. Nintendo will be fine this gen but what if the Wii 2 ends up like the PS3 next gen? The PS3 is surviving on it's hardcore gamers, if the Wii 2 won't have them and the casuals have left for something else who is there to save Nintendo?
duble_Needler23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 duble_Needler23
[QUOTE="Micropixel"]

JLF1

The Wii wouldn't sell 500K if it wasn't a "pop culture". The casual buyers will sooner or later get tired of the Wii the same they got tired of the PS2, the problem is we don't know when. Nintendo will be fine this gen but what if the Wii 2 ends up like the PS3 next gen? The PS3 is surviving on it's hardcore gamers, if the Wii 2 won't have them and the casuals have left for something else who is there to save Nintendo?

The question you should be asking yourself though is whether you think the "hardcore" audience won't buy a Wii 2, even when they announce a new zelda, mario, metroid, SSB, etc....when nintendo announces the games that nintendo fans simply can't resist and NEED to buy, will they resist even though nintendo strayed away from them in favor of a casual audience?

I don't think so, that's my opinion anyway. We all know nintendo has gone in the direction of the casual gamer, but at the same time, we also know they aren't going to stop making the Mario's, Zelda's, Metroid's, Super Smash Bros, F-Zero's, Pikmin's, Starfox's, etc. etc....as long as they DO keep releasing those franchises, their core audience, no matter how much they piss them off, is going to stick around. It's that simple.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JLF1

The question you should be asking yourself though is whether you think the "hardcore" audience won't buy a Wii 2, even when they announce a new zelda, mario, metroid, SSB, etc....when nintendo announces the games that nintendo fans simply can't resist and NEED to buy, will they resist even though nintendo strayed away from them in favor of a casual audience?

I don't think so, that's my opinion anyway. We all know nintendo has gone in the direction of the casual gamer, but at the same time, we also know they aren't going to stop making the Mario's, Zelda's, Metroid's, Super Smash Bros, F-Zero's, Pikmin's, Starfox's, etc. etc....as long as they DO keep releasing those franchises, their core audience, no matter how much they piss them off, is going to stick around. It's that simple.

duble_Needler23

A console can't survive only on it's fanbase. If that was the case then both SEGA and Atari would still be in the console business.

The N64 and Gamecube was great consoles for hardcore gamers not only Nintendo fans.

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Micropixel
[QUOTE="Micropixel"]

JLF1

You're missing the point.

Why would they suddenly be tired of what they've been enjoying since launch? A"Fad" or a "Pop Culture" doesn't have this kind of longevity. Period. So toss that out the window now.

Every self-proclaimed "Hardcore gamer" had a beginning exactly like this. The first time you EVER picked up a video game, you enjoyed it. That's why you're still playing now. See what I'm saying?

If Nintendo's core player base didn't enjoy what they were playing, they'd be gone already. We're deep enough into this generation that it's safe to say that they enjoy what Nintendo is serving them and that they'll be sticking around for more.

I really don't see them all waking up one morning and just deciding out of the blue: "Hmmm... I suddenly don't enjoy this anymore."

And why would they? You didn't.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JLF1

Why would they suddenly be tired of what they've been enjoying since launch? A"Fad" or a "Pop Culture" doesn't have this kind of longevity. Period. So toss that out the window now.

Every self-proclaimed "Hardcore gamer" had a beginning exactly like this. The first time you EVER picked up a video game, you enjoyed it. That's why you're still playing now. See what I'm saying?

If Nintendo's core player base didn't enjoy what they were playing, they'd be gone already. We're deep enough into this generation that it's safe to say that they enjoy what Nintendo is erving them and that they'll be sticking around for more.

I really don't see them all waking up one more and just deciding out of the blue: "Hmmm... I suddenly don't enjoy this anymore."

Micropixel

1. Why did they got tired of the PS2 and moved to the Wii? theTC isn't talking about this gen but next gen.

2. I didn't play games like Wii fit, wii sport or Wii play when I was young.

3. A lot of Nintendos core base have already moves on. A lot of the so called "Wii haters" are old Nintendo fans disappointed with the Wii.

4. Again it's not about this gen but the next gen. What if Wii 2 fails to get the casuals like the PS3 or N64 did? Both the N64 and PS3 was sequels to the market leader console yet they failed hard to get the casual support. If Nintendo keeps pushing it's fans away and the casuals will abandon them (which they easily could next gen) who is there to save N?
-Wheels-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 -Wheels-
Member since 2005 • 3137 Posts

I actually wrote a thread similar to this a few months back. Nintendo really is walking on a thin line here. They are stuck in a balancing act between the casual and core audience. This has never happened in gaming before, gaming just hasn't been big enough to experience sharing equal space with the casual audience on the console market. Either Nintendo will spread the notion that both casual and core are needed for games to grow, or they will lose the attention of the casual while having no core gamers left to fall back on. It's really a tricky situation. Nintendo could end up with everything or nothing by the end of all this.

Right now it just seems like a lot of hot air being blown around. From a first party perspective, Nintendo has done a lot for its core audience. They've released just as many core titles, if not more than the Gamecube had by this time. Granted we aren't seeing as many fresh ideas as we did last gen, or any previous gens for that matter, but not by a landslide. The only difference this gen is that Nintendo is also supporting the casual audience alongside the core. Nintendo hasn't dropped support for the core audience, I believe they realize how important keeping that audience is.

The big problem for Nintendo is the 3rd party support. Nintendo has actually done more than Sony or Microsoft has done for their systems this gen. And yet, Nintendo is considered the worst of all. Nintendo is getting jack for it's 3rd party besides a few great ports and a few great original IP's. We'd be having a much different conversation today if this were not the case. Nintendo's 3rd party needs to step it up, otherwise you are right, Nintendo is in jeopardy of losing everything.

duble_Needler23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 duble_Needler23
[QUOTE="duble_Needler23"]

JLF1

A console can't survive only on it's fanbase. If that was the case then both SEGA and Atari would still be in the console business.

The N64 and Gamecube was great consoles for hardcore gamers not only Nintendo fans.

I'm not talking about "just" the fanbase; let's face it, hardcore games on Nintendo systems are games made by nintendo themselves. I'm not a huge nintendo fan at all, and recently I find myself losing interest in them entirely. However, I love zelda. And mario. And Metroid. Etc...the games nintendo makes, those extremely popular franchises they're known for, they attract the core audience. Not just the "fanbase". Would you say people who like zelda are nintendo fanboys? I wouldn't...I'm certaintly not, but all the same, I think it's one of the greatest "hardcore" gaming franchises ever made.

And that, to me and a lot of other hardcore gamers, deserves a purchase alone. It's the games that i mentioned that will keep the "core" audience attached to nintendo. Not just it's fanbase.

AlphaGamer469

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AlphaGamer469
Member since 2008 • 1881 Posts

With the sales numbers Nintendo is garnering with the Wii, I don't think they care about the next gen. We have a Wii set up in the break room at work and I'm amazed at seeing the number of people that actually think WiiSports is the greatest game they have ever played. They can keep this machine going for a long time and keep hypnotizing casuals...

EDIT : Sorry about the typo, I meant Ninty doesn't care about next gen...

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Micropixel
[QUOTE="Micropixel"]

If Nintendo's core player base didn't enjoy what they were playing, they'd be gone already. We're deep enough into this generation that it's safe to say that they enjoy what Nintendo is erving them and that they'll be sticking around for more.

I really don't see them all waking up one more and just deciding out of the blue: "Hmmm... I suddenly don't enjoy this anymore."

JLF1

1. Why did they got tired of the PS2 and moved to the Wii? theTC isn't talking about this gen but next gen.

2. I didn't play games like Wii fit, wii sport or Wii play when I was young.

3. A lot of Nintendos core base have already moves on. A lot of the so called "Wii haters" are old Nintendo fans disappointed with the Wii.

4. Again it's not about this gen but the next gen. What if Wii 2 fails to get the casuals like the PS3 or N64 did? Both the N64 and PS3 was sequels to the market leader console yet they failed hard to get the casual support. If Nintendo keeps pushing it's fans away and the casuals will abandon them (which they easily could next gen) who is there to save N?

I completely... COMPLETELY, understand the "Next Gen" angle you are trying to milk.

But once again, why would they stop enjoying what they play now? Can you answer that? Can you climb into the head of every Wii owner and evaluate their preference enough that you will know beyond any shadow of a doubt what they will be playing next gen?

Of course no one here played Wii-Fit when they were young. Duh. What's your point?

My point is that you played something that made you a gamer. And however many years you've been a gamer, you are still here today... gaming. Why would Nintendo's core gaming base be any different? Why would they not follow they same pattern?

Nintendo_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Nintendo_Man
Member since 2003 • 19733 Posts

Nintendo are doing a similar thing Sony did with the PS1.

If any fanboys bother to read their strategy then you will know they are trying to capture these non gamers and try to make them loyal to Nintendo. As they get older or more experienced with games then Nintendo will go more hardcore and still be able to sell consoles like Sony then done with the PS2 and now PS3. That is why the PS2 was able to appeal to casuals and hardcore.

As i have said before, many people now in their 20s abandoned Nintendo when they focused on them so Nintendo has mostly forgot about these people and have started from scratch.

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts

When you compare the games released by Nintendo for the GC against the Wii, what is the difference? The only difference i see is pretty much all the same games IN ADDITION to the 'casual' games.

Paper Mario TYD : Super Paper Mario

Mario Sunshine : SMG

Melee : Brawl

Mario Party 6, 7 : Mario Party 8

MP, MP2: MP3

Mario Baseball : Sluggers

Mario Strikers: Strikers Charged

Mario Kart DD : Mario Kart Wii

Did I miss any? And if you compare the sales of this gen and last gen of these games, some outsell their counterpart or are extremely close. Which is pretty incredible considering Wii has only been out less than 2 years.

If anything, N is guilty of doing what THEY HAVE ALWAYS been doing. They are just catering to their old audience AND the new casual audience.

They have always been geared toward the casual. The first system was called the Famicom for crying out loud which stood for Family computer. What 'hardcore' games by them is missing from previous gen?

"Buh buh but...third party!" Don't rewrite history here. EA, Capcom, and others were caught off guard by Wii's success (as was Nintendo even) and decided to focus on that system more than planned. And development takes time.

The impressive thing about Nintendo is that they ARE paying attention to more popular games on other systems and their 'mistakes'. They apologized to the cry baby fans about E3. Reggie would like a GTA on the Wii, and was proud it was coming to DS. Reggie also like games like Bioshock and hopes games like that come to the Wii, and had nothing but compliments about LBP.Even when they are hard headed, they come around (external storage for example)

Sounds pretty progressive to me. /

Nintendo is always going to be Nintendo. Its always going to be family games first, Mario game derivatives, and majority of them will be cutesy. There will always be peripherials and will always try to present a clean, disney like image. Nothing has changed but the amount of success. Get over it.

System hasn't been out 2 years yet folks.

MagnuzGuerra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MagnuzGuerra
Member since 2004 • 1037 Posts
So, none of the new gamers are going to turn into core gamers? How do you explain Mario Kart DS and New Super Mario Bros being on the top 20 for more than 2 years now?
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts

I agree. The Wii has benefitted from affordability and an interesting new control scheme. What happens next gen. when their control scheme is not so interesting and new anymore, and gamers went through a whole gen. with little solid 3rd party support that didnt come from the PSP, PS2, DS porting.

I mean what happens if the PS4 and next Xbox arent much more expensive then the Wii 2. The truth is casual games are easy to come by, both SOny and Microsoft can can loads of shovelware or mini game type games. I have a Wii and my game library for it is small, the games I do have are good but I dont have much to look foward too right now.

Nintendos marketing strategy of being the cheaper different console might hurt it in the future. While the PS3 and 360 work on the quality of its library and get known for that Nintendo only has its solid 1st party games and its cheap price and fancy controller. Not a good long term strategy. Next gen. will be interesting.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

hakanakumono

NIntendo is not bring in has many new gamers has many think many of them were PS2 customers.

• 10% of PlayStation 2 owners also own a PlayStation 3

• 18% of PlayStation 2 owners also own an Xbox 360

• 19% of PlayStation 2 owners also own a Nintendo Wii

These groups are most certainly not distinct. That is, there are probably Xbox 360 owners counted in the 18% who are also Wii owners and also counted in the 19%, and so forth.

However, this does appear to suggest that current PlayStation 2 owners are almost twice as likely to be Wii owners than PlayStation 3 owners. That, in itself, is quite interesting and suggests that the owners of the 42.5 million PS2 systems sold in the United States could prefer the Wii over Sony's newer system.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/in-depth-analysis-games-and-console-sales?page=0%2C3

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

Of the people I know that have a Wii and a 360 or PS3 their Wii sits in the corner gathering dust.

Of the people I know that only have a Wii, and have had it for over 6 months, wish they had bought either a 360 or a PS3, but got the Wii because it was cheap and looked cool. Only the people who bought a Wii less than 6 months ago still think it is great and play it the most.

Maybe it's just the people I know, but coupled with there being nothing on Wii of any interest to me and the Wii just looks like a fad for casual gamers.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HarlockJC

Of the people I know that have a Wii and a 360 or PS3 their Wii sits in the corner gathering dust.

Of the people I know that only have a Wii, and have had it for over 6 months, wish they had bought either a 360 or a PS3, but got the Wii because it was cheap and looked cool. Only the people who bought a Wii less than 6 months ago still think it is great and play it the most.

Maybe it's just the people I know, but coupled with there being nothing on Wii of any interest to me and the Wii just looks like a fad for casual gamers.

Avenger1324

Hi everyone my name is Captain Harlock,

"Hello Harlock"

Hello everyone

I have something to say

"Go ahead"

I own all three game systems and play my Wii often with great games like SSBB, Mario Kart and Strongbad. I just can't help myself

"clapping"

thank you, thank you everyone (wipes tear from eye)

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Boy bands will be around forever. Backstreetboys are NOT a fad.

oh wait...

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#31 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
The Wii is selling because of smart marketing and because of the brand. If nintendo can successfully make another brand next generation and market it as well, they can potentially emulate the same amount of sales.
verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

I believe they are walking a thin line as well. However, not as thin as most would think.

I agree, that it seems to be selling like a fad. We'll see if its really a fad, or a worldwide introduction to gaming. A lot of people who are my age would remember the tomagotchi pets in the 90's. Again, you couldn't find them in the stores for a good 4 years, but Nintendo has only been selling for 2 years, we will have to see their sales in another year or so.

It has had some great titles. I play Mario Kart for at least an hour a week. I loved Super Mario Galaxy, and would like to eventually see a contiuation on that game. However, some games upcoming for the Wii don't appeal to the hardcore as much as games like Halo, Metal Gear Solid, Gears of War, God of War, etc. You get the point. I am looking forward to MadWorld and it will definitely get a play or two from me.

They should find a better balance with casual vs. hardcore though, in the next gen. Up the specs a bit (around current PS3/ Xbox360 specs) and give us some good games with lots of nostalgia ( Zelda, Star Fox, Metroid, Mario) On Launch along with the next WiiSports, and WiiFit, and they could have the best launch line up EVER.

My advice to Nintendo right now would be to keep going at the rate it is now, but make a few more games that have shooter elements in them. Make a game like Uncharted, but totally twist up the story to make it interesting. So it wouldn't be as graphically enhanced, but I can still see it being a great game.

Nintendo should look at what the upcoming exclusives are for the competition, and look at some of the other exclusives, and start that to launch off their more hardcore appeal rocket.

Nintendo has taken the smart way at the beginning of this gen, however, it should be apparent that their newfound sucess won't stay, as they say, don't rest on your laurels.

eklineage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 eklineage
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts
who cares about next gen. What matters is what's happening now isn't it?
shadowcat2576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 shadowcat2576
Member since 2006 • 908 Posts

First, I can't see the future and have no idea what is going to happen, but here's another possible option based on the facts as I see them now.

Facts: Wii is selling on the strength of its exclusives (mainly Nintendo), price, and the uniqueness of the wiimote. PS3 and 360 sell on the strength of their multiplats, which the Wii mostly misses out on. Some multiplats, like Rockband, are able to rival sales on the other systems.

Now lets assume that Nintendo puts out a system that is comperable to the other nextgen systems next time, which I see no reason to believe they won't. Nintendo will then still have the strength of it's exclusives and will also have the ability to support the multiplats. As for motion control on the other systems, I think Nintendo will still have an advantage with their familiarity with the tech and the ability to refine it. I see no reason why the hardcore couldn't just as easily swing back into the Nintendo camp. Heck, release your system first, which I think could happen, and a sector of the hardcore will be there just to get into the next-gen.

Casuals are hard to predict, you never know what will spark with them, but I also don't think you need the 120+ million gamers of the PS2 to be successfull. Wii2 may not repeat the success of the Wii, but I doubt it will lose it's entire market

angry_fork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 angry_fork
Member since 2008 • 2184 Posts

Until Nintendo releases a successor to Star Fox 64 and Donkey Kong 64, they will be LAME this entire gen.

PopeReal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PopeReal
Member since 2005 • 1303 Posts

How can anyone predict what happens next gen? We know nothing about any of the systems, prices, specs, or for that matter how many systems there will be.

Good luck with predicting success for any company.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 HarlockJC

First, I can't see the future and have no idea what is going to happen, but here's another possible option based on the facts as I see them now.

Facts: Wii is selling on the strength of its exclusives (mainly Nintendo), price, and the uniqueness of the wiimote. PS3 and 360 sell on the strength of their multiplats, which the Wii mostly misses out on. Some multiplats, like Rockband, are able to rival sales on the other systems.

shadowcat2576

In the first 20 months after launch:

• Wii: Third party software accounted for over 56% of Wii software sales, or 33 million units

• Xbox 360: Third party software accounted for over 82% of Xbox 360 software sales, or 29 million units

• PlayStation 3: Third party software accounted for over 83% of PS3 software sales, or 20 million units

http://www.edge-online.com/features/in-depth-analysis-games-and-console-sales?page=0%2C2

softcoregamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 softcoregamer_
Member since 2007 • 41 Posts

i'm a bit disapointed with nintendo but i still think the wii as more potencial than the ps3/xbox 360

Because next gen does not mean the same old bull but with coller graphics

next gen is about new gaming genders, new concepts to change the way you play and experience the game.

there is just too much hype about the graphics every next gen there is always a war to see which console is the more powerfull

and as the best graphics. But to me graphics are important of course but when a new games appear with killervisuals they loose

their appeal after some years. and i think that 3d games are the games thathave aged worse because everygame is the same

just the visual is better that happens with first person shooters for example: why would you want to play quake, or doom when

you have the lastest fpss. on the other hhand the 2d era aged really well because the developers were more concerned about creating a good gaming expereance.and there is also another problem:

the system is never used to its full potencial cuz they are to busy with the graphics

in this gen i expect games to be more realistic but not just in graphics but in the game concept in the attention to detail

but the wii had the opportunity to create classics for generations to come

but instead it is just making casual game sfor casual gamers

and every generation i feel like something is missing

every generation i feel that it could be done more and better

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

I'm not.

next gen? are you talking about the wii or the wii2 here? from all indications the Wii's success will last. there's no telling if that will translate to the next console but that's always the case.

DSgamer64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#41 DSgamer64
Member since 2007 • 4449 Posts
I have stuck by Nintendo for 20 years now, nothing is going to change. I like what they have done with the Wii and while I would like some more hardcore kinds of games, that is the developers fault and not Nintendo's. If the 3rd parties make mediocre games, that is their fault and not Nintendo's because what they have provided gamers has been excellent so far.
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

Your point is based on the fact that the hardcore gamer is not supporting the Wii. Although that may not be the perception in SW, it is not the reality. In fact, if someone does not support the Wii and what its all about, I would question their gaming amplitude and it is most likely that said person is not a hardcore gamer.

The problem with kids today is that they are letting companies like MS tell them what is cool. If you ain't shootin crap with teh shoulder triggers then you is not teh hardcorz! If you don't see pass this and embrace the deeper game experiences out there, then you lose...automatically.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 HarlockJC

next gen? are you talking about the wii or the wii2 here? from all indications the Wii's success will last. there's no telling if that will translate to the next console but that's always the case.

Ontain

Where you just promoted?

Anyways I think the next Nintendo system will be the same thing has the Wii just with HD and please a bigger hard drive Nintendo.

Androvinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#44 Androvinus
Member since 2008 • 5796 Posts
Nintendo will always be successful because of fanboys. with ps4 and the next Xbox they are both gonna have a harder focus on casual gaming ( new success recipe) and then nintendo wont have anything better than the competition
angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts
[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="Micropixel"]How do you argue with numbers? Statics don't lie. An average of 500,000 consumers purchasing a Wii every month can't be wrong.Ontain

I'm not.

Congratz on Modification.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
*shrug*

The demand for Wii consoles has exceeded the supply since the thing came out, and there are currently no signs of it slowing down. Which means the theory doesn't seem to be aligning with reality.
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 HarlockJC

*shrug*

The demand for Wii consoles has exceeded the supply since the thing came out, and there are currently no signs of it slowing down. Which means the theory doesn't seem to be aligning with reality.
Teufelhuhn

I was one of those who said that the Wii would be easy to get the day it came out. How little did I know.

angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts
*shrug*

Teufelhuhn
Now you are Modified :o
Smogtoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Smogtoe
Member since 2005 • 362 Posts

Bigboi500

You said it pal....*cheers*