Why it has become cool to hate Spin Off games ?

• 65 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

Spin Off games are supposed to be a different take on established franchises.

Resident Evil Umbrella corps : A multiplayer focused RE game. (Before that RE had first person RE games, Online coop RE games and on rail shooter RE games. it also had a 2D RE game RE Gaiden)

Metal Gear Survive : a zombie survival game with coop mode.(Before that Metal Gear had card games, a hack'n slash game that plays nothing like a MGS game)

Fallout 76 : A MMO fallout game.

And all of them(Excluding the previous spin offs of RE and MG) are hated ever since the first trailer only due to this that they aren't "Sequels".(And due to the hate RE Umbrella Corps got it got it's budget reduced from what I've heard)

Imagine if Blizzard made World Of Warcraft(A MMO RPG spin off of a RTS franchise) then fans would have crucify them to death and made the game fail.

Why fans have become so close minded over spin off games ? Why gamers are becoming more and more whiny ?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Those are not very good games.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

Those are just not very good games dude lol. Metal Gear Rising is a good spin off game example.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Umm because those you mentioned are terrible games??

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Those are not hated because they were "terrible". ever since the first teaser fans hated them.

And Survive was more fun and less empty compared to Phantom Pain.

@ellos said:

Those are just not very good games dude lol. Metal Gear Rising is a good spin off game example.

Rising is pretty overrated. It's a C tired hack'n slash game with one of the worst characters as the main character.(Which is that sissy that wears high heel shoes)

It's story was also pretty bad for a "Canon" MGS game.(Nanomachines son !)

It was just praised because it was cool to like that game and hate DmC Devil May Cry.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

Resident Evil Revelations 2 is a spinoff, Metal Gear Revegence is as well, and what about Fallout Shelter?!? If you ask me, all 3 of them spinoffs are pretty cool stuff.

Also, I think listening to obnoxious fans and media isn't the way to go, and everyone and their mom can poke holes in illogical whining.

I'd actually play all 3 before considering them terrible. You never know cause Bethesda tear ducts have a hairpin trigger, and Metal Gear fans are nearly as worst as Star Wars fans when it comes to complaining.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5c56012aaa167

@saltslasher said:

Metal Gear fans are nearly as worst as Star Wars fans when it comes to complaining.

completely agreed.

Some of them are still believing that "MGS V is unfinished" which is 100 percent wrong.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15913 Posts

Its not that spin off games is hated, its the lack of polish and genre choice they are taking for the games is hated.

Here is a couple of example of critically acclaimed spin off, some achieved more success than the main series.

World of Warcraft - main series RTS genre but the MMO got so much love it halted the main series.

Persona - a spin off of Shin Megami Tensei but it got way more popular and critically acclaimed it spurned into its own thing.

Final Fantasy Tactics - its so good its the best FF alongside 6,7 and 12.

Mario related games - I hate mario characters (Just need to get that clear first), but the games is belpved by many. Mario kart, mario party, mario golf and whatever the hell nintendo milk next.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@dorog1995 said:
@ellos said:

Rising is pretty overrated. It's a C tired hack'n slash game with one of the worst characters as the main character.(Which is that sissy that wears high heel shoes)

It's story was also pretty bad for a "Canon" MGS game.(Nanomachines son !)

It was just praised because it was cool to like that game and hate DmC Devil May Cry.

Like what you like I suppose. I was pointing out they are better spin offs games from the franchise you have listed. As you can see from similar more suggestions above. Its to answer your question that most think those games are medicore that is why they hate them. Its nothing to do with them being spinoffs. Maybe you would have felt the same if I made a thread about the overated c hack and slash Revengence?

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

They are hated because they are bad games . Take Far Cry blood dragon. Its a spin off game and people loved it because its a good game

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22662 Posts

I don't hate spin off games, I just don't really like bad games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5c56012aaa167

At least for Survive I know that it's a good game that was trashed for the whole Konami controversy because I have played it for 240 hours.(I would rate it 7.5 from 10)

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56080 Posts

The problem with most spin-off games is the poor execution how to approach and show it to your fans and not damaging the series as a whole and the real problem with spin-off games is the fact most of them are all center to MP as if it's a cash-grab and. Resident Evil: Umbrella Corps however had lots of bugs on launch and poor level design. I don't hate the game, but it was a buggy mess and poor level design. Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City was far worst then Umbrella Corps to say the least.

Not all spin-off games are hated, single player spin-off most of the times are well receive and I enjoy my fair share of spin-off single player games like:

• Metal Gear Rising
  • Wing Commander Privateer
  • Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
  • Halo: ODST
  • Uncharted: Lost Legacy
  • Uncharted: Golden Abyss

As you can see, those spin-off above were well receive, it's the MP spin-off games get's alot of hating and lack of execution will hurt MP spin-off if not done right. That said, I never hate these types of spin-off games, it's not aiming towards me, but I do know some gamers enjoy MP nowadays.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

People just hate spinoffs in general.

Rogue One is arguably, objectively, the best of the "new" Star Wars films but people hate on it because it's not an Episode _ Star Wars movie.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@mrbojangles25 said:

People just hate spinoffs in general.

Rogue One is arguably, objectively, the best of the "new" Star Wars films but people hate on it because it's not an Episode _ Star Wars movie.

Umm no. Rogue One was well receive because it was release at the right time a year later after the Force Awaken (which hardly got hated) and boy, I enjoy that spin-off Star War film since the Clone War CGI movie and while Solo however, it was release at the wrong time, 5 months after The Last Jedi and release closer to Avengers Infinity War is what got Solo hated but overall, I like Solo, it was somewhat light heart compare to other Star Wars films. If Solo was release in December, it would have totally done well.

Edit: I also never hated The Last Jedi, I thought it was okay, just bad writing is what I'll say from this point on.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#16 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Well... we do live in the outrage era, that's just our cultural stigma right now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5c56012aaa167

@mrbojangles25:People hate Rogue One far less than The Last Jedi and Episode 7.(And most consider it as the best Disney era Star Wars movie)

They hate spin off in games far more.

@davillain- said:

The problem with most spin-off games is the poor execution how to approach and show it to your fans and not damaging the series as a whole and the real problem with spin-off games is the fact most of them are all center to MP as if it's a cash-grab and. Resident Evil: Umbrella Corps however had lots of bugs on launch and poor level design. I don't hate the game, but it was a buggy mess and poor level design. Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City was far worst then Umbrella Corps to say the least.

Not all spin-off games are hated, single player spin-off most of the times are well receive and I enjoy my fair share of spin-off single player games like:

• Metal Gear Rising

Imo those Uncharted Spin Offs don't count since they have the same gameplay as the original franchise.(I myself wouldn't consider RE Revelations as a spin off due to the very same reason)

Wing Commander Privateer has the same gameplay of Wing Commander games with some additions.(From what I've read)

Halo ODST has also the same kind of gameplay of previous Halo games.

And I remember that Rising was also pretty much hated before the release.(And for some reason it has become popular to be loved)

Umbrella corps was buggy because Capcom saw the backlash of the game and decided to just release it as fast as possible and forget that the game even existed.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58903 Posts

The recent ones have been straight up bad and Star Wars in particular has help bolstered the idea of "raping my childhood", as a bunch of angry incels threw there virgin panties at the screens hating woman under the guise of movie criticism. Kathleen Kennedy eh evil! Pink haired woman from JURRASIC PARK ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Metal Gear The Revengeance, Homeworld deserts of kharak were successful (modernish) spin-off's. Hell, I prefer Revengeance over the majority of MGS games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5c56012aaa167

@phbz said:

Well... we do live in the outrage era, that's just our cultural stigma right now.

Yeah. Sometimes I feel that Internet is losing it's use for getting constructive feedback from the fans.(Since these days whatever game/movie you release there will be a guy that will hate it and call it overrated,trash etc)

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

It’s not so much that they are spinoff games but that they are just really poorly done games in general. There have been many spinoff games done that people really enjoyed such as:

- Metal Gear Rising

- Final Fantasy Tatics

- a number of Mario games

- World of Warcraft

just to name a few.

People are naturally inclined to be wary of spinoff games because they are a change to why they may have become a fan of the original games. However if the game is done well they will mostly come around and appreciate them.

Avatar image for reseteraisbetta
Reseteraisbetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Reseteraisbetta
Member since 2018 • 37 Posts

"Why do you hate terrible games?"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5c56012aaa167

@Archangel3371 said:

It’s not so much that they are spinoff games but that they are just really poorly done games in general. There have been many spinoff games done that people really enjoyed such as:

- Final Fantasy Tatics

- a number of Mario games

- World of Warcraft

just to name a few.

People are naturally inclined to be wary of spinoff games because they are a change to why they may have become a fan of the original games. However if the game is done well they will mostly come around and appreciate them.

None of these games were bashed ever since the first trailer.(Which was a cinematic trailer like other games)

@reseteraisbetta said:

"Why do you hate terrible games?"

Your profile name says enough.

Reseteraisbetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Reseteraisbetta

@dorog1995: No, my comment says it all. People dont hate spin offs, they hate terrible games. The fact that you think WoW wasn't bashed the minute it was announced shows your ignorance. People are always weary of spin offs but they can be won over when shown quality.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5c56012aaa167

@reseteraisbetta: It wasn't bashed because gamers were more open minded and more mature back then.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Archangel3371

@dorog1995: Well I can’t really recall whether they were bashed or not when they were announced however I still stand by my main point which is that most people don’t simply hate a spinoff game because it’s a spinoff game, they hate it if it’s a poorly made spinoff game and the three that you mentioned in your OP are poorly made games.

Reseteraisbetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Reseteraisbetta

@dorog1995: I dont think you remember WoWs debut. There is actual developer commentary that shows this. People were livid it wasn't an rts. Just this year we saw a technical spin off GoW with different gameplay and setting. At first people were weary, then they played it and its become one of the most celebrated games of the gen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5c56012aaa167

@Archangel3371 said:

@dorog1995: Well I can’t really recall whether they were bashed or not when they were announced however I still stand by my main point which is that most people don’t simply hate a spinoff game because it’s a spinoff game, they hate it if it’s a poorly made spinoff game and the three that you mentioned in your OP are poorly made games.

Survive wasn't a poorly made game.(Just because majority on the internet says so doesn't make it true)

I also remember that Yakuza developers decided to make a zombie spin off of Yakuza franchise which suffered the same fate.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DaVillain  Moderator

@davillain- said:

• Metal Gear Rising

Imo those Uncharted Spin Offs don't count since they have the same gameplay as the original franchise.

Well it's because they don't follow the main games but Golden Abyss is in fact a spin-off because it's a Vita exclusive that has nothing to do with the main game storyline.

But anyhow, my point was that single players spin-off are most of the times well receive due to no MP cash-grab and as for Metal Gear Rising, back at E3 2010, Kojima reveal Metal Gear Rising on his Kojima Production but at a later date, Kojima was no longer involve with Rising and gave it to Platinum and it was the reason why it got hated in the first place. When Platinum release Rising, it was still well receive and really one of the best spin-off games in Metal Gear Solid without Kojima.

The way Kojima show Metal Gear Rising in 2010, no way this could have been made on last-gen and he underestimate the limitations for both PS3/Xbox 360:

Loading Video...

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Archangel3371

@dorog1995: Well I’m going to have to disagree on Metal Gear Survive. Anyway nothing is 100% but I stand by the rationale that most people will like a spinoff game if it’s a well made game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5c56012aaa167

@davillain- said:

The way Kojima show Metal Gear Rising in 2010, no way this could have been made on last-gen and he underestimate the limitations for both PS3/Xbox 360:

I don't think it put the consoles to their limit since Rising Revengeance had that cutting feature.(One of the game rooms also had watermelons)

It was more the gameplay the main reason they outsourced it.(Since imo they didn't know how to make the game properly and obviously they weren't satisfied with the game itself which is why they outsourced it)

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

You attach a brand name to something, you expect that name to be consistent with its previous titles. You expect a certain style and list of features that may not be present in a spin off. They judge the game based on what has come before than what the individual game is.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5c56012aaa167

@vagrantsnow said:

You attach a brand name to something, you expect that name to be consistent with its previous titles. You expect a certain style and list of features that may not be present in a spin off. They judge the game based on what has come before than what the individual game is.

Yeah completely true.

Another spin off game that I forgot to talk about is the Dead Or Alive Xtreme beach volleyball . A dating sim game in the universe of DOA that never got any backlash for being "Different". And maybe some of the games are bad and lack content(2 and 3) from what I've heard but they never got any big backlash that other spin offs got.(Maybe for every month of the year gamers should find a "Controversy" to bash I don't know. Maybe Xtreme it got overshadowed by big controversy that happened.)

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

Capcom VS SNK was a spin off game...

Yet everyone one in the community loved it. Want to take a wild guess why that was?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5c56012aaa167

@tgob89 said:

Yet everyone one in the community loved it. Want to take a wild guess why that was?

Because it was actually a new franchise. Not a Street Fighter spin off, Not a KOF spin off.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@tgob89 said:

I always thought X-Men vs. Street Fighter did it first and that too was loved? Used to play the hell out of that game on PS1 in the late 90's.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I don't mind spinoffs. I remember when Red Alert was known as Command & Conquer: Red Alert. It became popular enough to become its own series.

Bad games are just bad games.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7223 Posts

Metal gear rising was ok but metal gear survive was hot trash. The series is not what's it used to be sadly. I'd rather play the game boy colour metal gear than any of the games past 3.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

Survive and FO76 are both just vessels for microtransactions ..... or no...?

MG Rising is great. Has some of the most memorable boss fights of any game I've ever played.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

New Vegas is a spin off game and considered one of the best RPGs or open world games of all time.

You're just cherry picking very very shitty games.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

cuz they've been trash lately?

MEtal Gear Survive

Falllout 76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5c56012aaa167

@AsadMahdi59 said:

Survive and FO76 are both just vessels for microtransactions ..... or no...?

MG Rising is great. Has some of the most memorable boss fights of any game I've ever played.

I never bought any Microtransactions for Survive. Because they were pretty useless.(And the whole Microtransactions backlash of it was completely misguided. Since the game handled it pretty well.)

But majority just hated everything from the game because it's cool to hate Konami.(And they wanted to have some revenge pleasure and as a result they sacrificed a fine game that deserved to be it's own serie.)

@zaryia said:

New Vegas is a spin off game and considered one of the best RPGs or open world games of all time.

You're just cherry picking very very shitty games.

New Vegas actually isn't. A Spin Off game should be played completely different than the main serie. It was just a Fallout 3 sequel with a different developer.

By that logic people should call GTA Vice City and San Andreas as Spin Offs which is completely wrong.

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

Bloodborne is arguably a spin of Dark Souls and did pretty well.

I personally liked the Gears Judgement spin off. Would like to see the a spin off of the Colonial Wars(or whatever it was called) they always referred to in the game.

If done well and with care and passion they can be great, like any other game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#43 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

If the spin offs are good no one complaints

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

Because MGSurvive should have been DLC for MGSV.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

There are great spinoffs, like Metal Gear Rising and Better Call Saul, and then there are the games you listed :P.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#46  Edited By adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2563 Posts

Nah its not most likely they tend to be praised, but the games that are listed are way inferior to their main counteraparts; but ill try to clarify why they were hated before its release:

Resident Evil Umbrella corps : It looked like a worse successor in every aspect of operation raccoon city and that's a lot to say.

Metal Gear Survive : It was announced not too far after the Kojima and PT incident, so everyone hated Konami; and after the game was released it wasn't that good and flooded with microtransactions.

Fallout 76 : It wasn't hated until the beta was released and people noticed that it has all the flaws of a Bethesda game but without the good things; then it got released and it was the same.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

People bitch about everything; most gamers are so entitled these days...lol. Obviously; some critiques are completely understandable but the majority of shit that gamers complain about is hilarious...

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

@dorog1995: Except MGSV was unfinished.

The final and best mission wasn't even playable.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#49 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Mario Kart?

Sonic All-Stars Racing?

Tekken Tag Tournament?

Pokken Tournament?

Captain Toad?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By deactivated-5c56012aaa167

@blackhairedhero said:

@dorog1995: Except MGSV was unfinished.

The final and best mission wasn't even playable.

It wasn't just because a stupid mission which was going to have booby traps,(Which it's cool to hate) child soldiers(The weakest enemies in PP) and a repetitive boss would have made a difference.

It ended that way because Kojima wanted to finish his last Metal Gear game similar to the way that MGS 2 ended.(A side villain escapes with the metal gear and never appears again)

And don't tell me that it was "rushed" if it was it would have lots of bugs and would have been a bad game in the terms of content.

@adsparky said:

Metal Gear Survive : It was announced not too far after the Kojima and PT incident, so everyone hated Konami; and after the game was released it wasn't that good and flooded with microtransactions.

Ironically Survive was a better open world game than Phantom Pain.(I know that since I have played both and I have played lots of open world games in my life)

And I have said this before I say that again: Microtransactions were completely unnecessary.

And by your logic Phantom Pain is also a bad game since it had Microtransactions that would allow you to develop powerful weapons instantly instead of waiting for some days.(Survive MTs were never in that level of bad)

@nintendoboy16 said:

Mario Kart?

Sonic All-Stars Racing?

Tekken Tag Tournament?

Pokken Tournament?

Captain Toad?

Most of them came out at the time that people were more open minded to spin offs.(And they became their own franchises)

Tekken Tag had the same gameplay of Tekken with a variation so it's not a real spin off game.(The only spin off game that Tekken had was Death By Degrees which unfortunately was badly executed)