Why isn't World of Warcraft on consoles?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
Granted, I have no interest in buying WOW ($12 a month forever + your entire social life = no thanks!) at any point in the future, but I really wonder why Blizzard isn't developing it for PS3 and Xbox 360. I mean, you can play WOW on a Mac, but not a powerful videogame console? It seems to me like bringing WOW to consoles with cross-platform play would be a very smart business descision, so I don't really understand what's holding them up.
marinebro0306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 marinebro0306
Member since 2005 • 1098 Posts
I think there would be issues in integrating the PS3 and 360.
Also, many Macs are superior to PC's....
Avatar image for TekkenMaster606
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 TekkenMaster606
Member since 2006 • 10980 Posts
Try mapping all those commands to a contoller...
ZebethOrZebes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 ZebethOrZebes
Member since 2004 • 5997 Posts
Easy, no need to pay licencing fees when you don't make a game for a console.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Timstuff
Try mapping all those commands to a contoller...TekkenMaster606
They could include a coupon for a Z-Board. :P
Avatar image for TekkenMaster606
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 TekkenMaster606
Member since 2006 • 10980 Posts
Starcraft : Ghost left a bitter taste in Blizzard's mouth, I don't see any console games from them anytime soon. 
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Timstuff
Easy, no need to pay licencing fees when you don't make a game for a console.ZebethOrZebes
But wouldn't being able to sell the game to more people make up for that? Isn't it better to have a slightly higher operating cost and make more profit, than to exclude a market all together?
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
RAM.
ZebethOrZebes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ZebethOrZebes
Member since 2004 • 5997 Posts
[QUOTE="ZebethOrZebes"]Easy, no need to pay licencing fees when you don't make a game for a console.Timstuff
But wouldn't being able to sell the game to more people make up for that? Isn't it better to have a slightly higher operating cost and make more profit, than to exclude a market all together?

More people own computers than consoles, smart guy.
prostar343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 prostar343
Member since 2004 • 5258 Posts
:lol: Because it would be impossible to make it work with a controller.
shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 shungokustasu
Member since 2004 • 7190 Posts
WoW flopped...it was projected AAAA.
The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 The_Ish
Member since 2006 • 13913 Posts
Granted, I have no interest in buying WOW ($12 a month forever + your entire social life = no thanks!) at any point in the future, but I really wonder why Blizzard isn't developing it for PS3 and Xbox 360. I mean, you can play WOW on a Mac, but not a powerful videogame console? It seems to me like bringing WOW to consoles with cross-platform play would be a very smart business descision, so I don't really understand what's holding them up.
Timstuff

If they do that, all console players will get owned by the PC players. its not even opinion, its fact, you can do much more with a keyboard than a controller, and lets be honest, no one is going to go out and buy a keyboard and mouse for the PS3 and Xbox when it already costs so much.

RahnAetas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RahnAetas
Member since 2003 • 1834 Posts
WoW is patched on a monthly basis.  It's not like they can put everything on a disk and run the game from that.  If they never, ever changed/patched the game again I guess it could be possible to put WoW on consoles.
Zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Zor
Member since 2002 • 3289 Posts
Because you can't hot key 40 buttons.... You would need a hard drive + Key board + Mouse to play WoW... The consoles are powerful enough to run the game, but they are not likely to make people go out of their way to buy new stuff that they will only use on one game (well maybe they would, but blizzard isn't). Plus hacks/cheats/ etc... are much harder to control on consoles.
shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 shungokustasu
Member since 2004 • 7190 Posts
WoW is patched on a monthly basis. It's not like they can put everything on a disk and run the game from that. If they never, ever changed/patched the game again I guess it could be possible to put WoW on consoles.RahnAetas
It's call a HDD drive? they did it for FFXI, Everquest.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Timstuff
[QUOTE="RahnAetas"]WoW is patched on a monthly basis. It's not like they can put everything on a disk and run the game from that. If they never, ever changed/patched the game again I guess it could be possible to put WoW on consoles.shungokustasu
It's call a HDD drive? they did it for FFXI, Everquest.

Not to mention that PS3 and most Xbox 360's have one included out of the box... I think that the lack of a keyboard would be the biggest hurdle. But like i said before, they could always just include a coupon for one or something. :P
BlueBarad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BlueBarad
Member since 2003 • 2218 Posts

Because Blizzard said NO,

They didn't want to have to gymp the game for a console port.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts
there are too many actions that need to be accessed very quickly and doing that with a controller seems like it would be a nightmare.
F-Minus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 F-Minus
Member since 2005 • 1009 Posts
The funny thing is that more people played WOW as Xbox360 consoles sold one month ago :P.
BlueBarad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BlueBarad
Member since 2003 • 2218 Posts
there are too many actions that need to be accessed very quickly and doing that with a controller seems like it would be a nightmare.CaseyWegner
Yeah, it would be impossible to play it well. I also think that MS wants to leave the 360 as a console only and not have it like a computer, therefore they don't offer much of a mouse and keyb. support.
Oni_Ookami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Oni_Ookami
Member since 2005 • 2765 Posts
Timstuff

It comes down to one thing. Controll. If you havent ever played the game you wouldent know that w/out a mouse & KB it would be almost impossible to do allot of the things you have to do in the game. EA did a decent job with LOTR on the 360 but it's no substitute for a good ol' KB and Mouse.

The only way i see this happening is the game will have its own extra monthly charge, and MS or Sony will have to develop KB and Mouse addons...which means any perspective player would have to go out and buy those + the extra fee, not to mention the user base is VASTLY smaller to those who have a PC. Keep in mind that WOW doesnt take a high end computer to play smooth.

I think if you really think about WoW on a next-gen console its a perverbial mess any way you slice it.
Oemenia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#22 Oemenia
Member since 2003 • 10416 Posts
It wouldnt work really.
LoserMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LoserMike
Member since 2003 • 4915 Posts
Because it's hard to communicate without a keyboard. Granted they can do it with audio but it'll get hella annoying when you're in a big city like Ironforge. Headset is only used when you're grouped together.
smugglepuffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 smugglepuffles
Member since 2004 • 103 Posts

the only Blizzard game I could see on consoles is the Diablo series.  Remember the very first diablo was released for the PC and the Playstation (1).  If a Diablo 3 comes around there may some support for this generation of systems.  Not too likely, but it could happen.

P.S. it has nothing to do with this but Warcraft 2 was also released for the Playstation.

spikegriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 spikegriffin
Member since 2004 • 172 Posts

Not to mention, in addition to KB + M, most of the best players use some kind of tracking mods (and not quite as good ones use control help mods).  We still don't see that kinda thing on consoles, so its another reason that it would be gimped vs. PC.

Plus the whole Blizzard saying it would never go to consoles.  There's an article about it somewhere.

RAZZY_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RAZZY_B
Member since 2005 • 1709 Posts

Try mapping all those commands to a contoller...TekkenMaster606

yea, it would SUCK

buckfush311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 buckfush311
Member since 2006 • 537 Posts
Timstuff
Because consoles don't have a mouse and keyboard.
hecklemonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hecklemonkey
Member since 2007 • 279 Posts
Yeah, really....when I played, I had 54 commands mapped to hotkeys on my g15 keyboard. Then there's all the commands for bags, various options pages, map, etc, etc, etc.......
coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 coolguy1111
Member since 2005 • 3991 Posts
marinebro0306
No... an equally priced PC will always be more powerful then a Mac, and it doesnt even matter much any more, Macs are pcs with OSX. They use PC cpus, and gpus. Apple turned Macs into pcs.
Vasichko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Vasichko
Member since 2004 • 2565 Posts
Timstuff
Because it sucks and should stay for the computer nerds.
coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 coolguy1111
Member since 2005 • 3991 Posts
No way you could do ANY click based 3d adventure game like WoW, never mind all the need for buttons.
klactose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 klactose
Member since 2003 • 1167 Posts
marinebro0306
What in the world does that Mac comment have to do with WoW coming to consoles? (By the way, the most powerful personal computer is not a Mac)
Freebird8877

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Freebird8877
Member since 2006 • 3407 Posts

:lol: Because it would be impossible to make it work with a controller.prostar343

PS3 = Full mouse and keyboard support.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d773aa56272
deactivated-57d773aa56272

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-57d773aa56272
Member since 2006 • 2292 Posts
Blizzard has said previously that World of WarCraft on a console is unlikely.
Freebird8877

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Freebird8877
Member since 2006 • 3407 Posts

[QUOTE="Timstuff"]Granted, I have no interest in buying WOW ($12 a month forever + your entire social life = no thanks!) at any point in the future, but I really wonder why Blizzard isn't developing it for PS3 and Xbox 360. I mean, you can play WOW on a Mac, but not a powerful videogame console? It seems to me like bringing WOW to consoles with cross-platform play would be a very smart business descision, so I don't really understand what's holding them up.
buckfush311

PS3 = Full mouse and keyboard support, as I already stated.

F-Minus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 F-Minus
Member since 2005 • 1009 Posts

Freebird8877

PS3 = Full mouse and keyboard support
PS3 Games = no mouse and keyboard support

There's the difference :P
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Redmoonxl2
Member since 2003 • 11059 Posts

[QUOTE="buckfush311"][QUOTE="Timstuff"]Granted, I have no interest in buying WOW ($12 a month forever + your entire social life = no thanks!) at any point in the future, but I really wonder why Blizzard isn't developing it for PS3 and Xbox 360. I mean, you can play WOW on a Mac, but not a powerful videogame console? It seems to me like bringing WOW to consoles with cross-platform play would be a very smart business descision, so I don't really understand what's holding them up.
Freebird8877

You say that like people will actually make the jump to keyboard/mouse on the PS3/360. The only reason why games like FFXI worked on consoles is because it was made with the PS2's controller in mind. As a result, you have people that will mainly play FFXI with a controller. Hell, I had people in my linkshell (Which is basically a guild) that just played on a controller exclusively just because they weren't used to playing games on keyboards/mice.

WoW was made from the ground up on the PC. Put it on a console and you're basically telling people that it can be played with a controller. The moment you have people thinking that, you'll have people that will be frustrated by the fact that the game wasn't made to cater to controller users. The only way that can be prevented is requiring that the game has to be played on a keyboard. Since console users will scoff at the notion that a keyboard is required, the game will not sell well on consoles.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
RAM.Hewkii
surprising nobody else mentioned that. :D low RAM + essentially having to install the game for it to run decently is a messy combination for a game like that. the controls just make it nastier.
Oemenia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#39 Oemenia
Member since 2003 • 10416 Posts
[QUOTE="marinebro0306"]I think there would be issues in integrating the PS3 and 360.
klactose
What in the world does that Mac comment have to do with WoW coming to consoles? (By the way, the most powerful personal computer is not a Mac)

Mac fanboys are always a bit zealous because they can create websites and movies...
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts
Why isnt WoW on consoles? For the same reason MGS 4, PDZ, and (insert random exclusive title)  arent on the PC.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="klactose"][QUOTE="marinebro0306"]I think there would be issues in integrating the PS3 and 360.
Oemenia

Mac fanboys are always a bit zealous because they can create websites and movies...

and spaceships and robots and time travel.
Avatar image for phoenixan_akrau
phoenixan_akrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#42 phoenixan_akrau
Member since 2005 • 401 Posts
Have you ever thought that maybe they also prefer just PC and Mac game development?
Avatar image for Einhanderkiller
Einhanderkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Einhanderkiller
Member since 2003 • 13259 Posts
Maybe this is the reason. http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=96628