Why isn't Sony and Microsoft fighting Scalpers at all?

• 72 results
ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

They could make more money stocking their own website (getting a better percentage) and restricting Credit cards and addresses to one per customer.

They could sell boatloads off their own site.

Unlike other physical retailers and digital stores like amazon which are not restricting anything! These stores are increasing the scalper problem those places need to be left OUT until more stock comes out.

I had no problem buying PS2 at launch same with PS4 and XB1 why can't I Find a PS5 or X-Series and its been months now can't they restrict credit cards and addresses and names to 1 per customer or can scalpers go around that?

I want a ps5 bad and I feel like im missing out and the longer I wait I might switch to buying a good graphics card if I have to wait much longer and skip this gen.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7223 Posts

I'm in the same boat the scalpers have ruined my chances to grab ps5 so many times. It seems they go up for a 3 mins then gone.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45094 Posts

I had no problem getting my PS5 and XSX. I got PS5 at launch, and admittedly, I was lucky, because I caught wind of the early preorder listing on Twitter. As for XSX, it wasn't that hard to get one. Just waited on Twitter to find out when it was available. Both Walmart and Best Buy have a queue that releases stock every ten minutes up to an hour.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

It is because scalping does not hurt their bottom line.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

This. Sony or MS doesn't care who buys it. A sale is a sale.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ZeroTheHero

@SolidGame_basic said:

I had no problem getting my PS5 and XSX. I got PS5 at launch, and admittedly, I was lucky, because I caught wind of the early preorder listing on Twitter. As for XSX, it wasn't that hard to get one. Just waited on Twitter to find out when it was available. Both Walmart and Best Buy have a queue that releases stock every ten minutes up to an hour.

There was a post on resetera a kid made 110,000 dollars already scalping PS5's...trust me it wasn't like this for the ps2 and ps4. This kid needs to be restricted to one per customer. He's averaging 800-1000 dollars flipping them and nobody is stopping him. He also hired 2 people to help him at 15 dollars an hour. It's getting bad.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50552 Posts

Series X are pretty decent to find now. Just check Targets around your area in the mornings and you'll probably see some pop up.

That being said, they both have. They are not responsible for how retailers deal or don't deal with scalpers.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

There is no incentive for them to provide systems that would subvert scalpers. Clearly consumer dissatisfaction does not affect the bottom line. Until it does they won't spend any money to fix the situation.

That's publicly traded corps for ya. Short-term mindset.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ZeroTheHero

@pyro1245 said:

There is no incentive for them to provide systems that would subvert scalpers. Clearly consumer dissatisfaction does not affect the bottom line. Until it does they won't spend any money to fix the situation.

but they could make more money selling their own PS5's and cutting out the middle men amazon / target / walmart and doing restrictions would kill off the scalpers.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

@zerothehero said:
@pyro1245 said:

but they could make more money selling their own PS5's and cutting out the middle men amazon / target / walmart and doing restrictions would kill off the scalpers.

Then they have the hassle of distribution.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I think scalpers got handed next gen systems on a silver platter due to such a high percentage of the systems being sold online due to covid. You can thank China if you don't have the system you want.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

@zerothehero said:
@pyro1245 said:

I think that both Microsoft and Sony make so much money per year that they would care less if they can make more by directly selling their own systems, cutting the middle man, and restricting scalping.

Avatar image for deactivated-62852ef1135c6
deactivated-62852ef1135c6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-62852ef1135c6
Member since 2021 • 1322 Posts

It doesn't hurt them financially, so they do nothing. In fact, it probably helps them because it only serves to increase demand.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

Oh but it does. Those scalped systems don't buy any software, and that's what's happening right now.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ZeroTheHero

@shadyacshuns said:
@onesiphorus said:

Oh but it does. Those scalped systems don't buy any software, and that's what's happening right now.

I wonder if people who buy scalped systems spend more money on games an stuff than regular gamers that would be interesting to research if its more profitable for them to get scalped or get in real gamers hands.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-62852ef1135c6

@shadyacshuns: That doesn't matter as long as demand is stable. Sony isn't hurting on software sales at all.

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 3138 Posts

@shadyacshuns: Except those systems do make it into consumers' hands, albeit it inflated prices. Why else would scalpers continue to scalp?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@wandering_halls said:

@shadyacshuns: That doesn't matter as long as demand is stable. Sony isn't hurting on software sales at all.

You sure? I remember reading an article not long ago about very low attach rates for PS5.

https://www.psu.com/news/report-finds-ps5-scalpers-are-threatening-long-term-health-of-the-console/

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@zmanbarzel said:

@shadyacshuns: Except those systems do make it into consumers' hands, albeit it inflated prices. Why else would scalpers continue to scalp?

They do eventually. I can imagine that still hurts the companies early on with them just sitting in warehouses and closets not buying software.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#20 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69428 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

That is false. The less gamers with systems the less software is purchased.

Onto topic, Xbox has a program for purchasing Series X|S using Xbox Insider.

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 3138 Posts

@zerothehero said:
@pyro1245 said:

Rule of thumb in retail: When you're dependent on your partners to sell product that accounts for 30-50% of your bottom line, you don't "cut them out."

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ZeroTheHero

@Pedro said:
@onesiphorus said:

That is false. The less gamers with systems the less software is purchased.

Onto topic, Xbox has a program for purchasing Series X|S using Xbox Insider.

People have bought more than one system through the Xbox Insider there was an article saying people who already had the system got access to buy a 2nd one through that awful program before new users.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ZeroTheHero

@zmanbarzel said:
@zerothehero said:
@pyro1245 said:

Rule of thumb in retail: When you're dependent on your partners to sell product that accounts for 30-50% of your bottom line, you don't "cut them out."

You cut them out if they are pissing off your consumers by allowing scalping though and many might go PC gaming instead or buy a switch and games on those places instead.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 pyro1245

@onesiphorus said:
@zerothehero said:
@pyro1245 said:

I think that both Microsoft and Sony make so much money per year that they would care less if they can make more by directly selling their own systems, cutting the middle man, and restricting scalping.

Also for reference: Nvidia recently stopped selling GPUs directly because it was too much work. Now if you go to their store it directs you to Best Buy.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 pyro1245
@zmanbarzel said:
@zerothehero said:
@pyro1245 said:

Well for some reason all these corps have decided that it's cheaper/less risky to sell through distributors for one reason or another. I'm sure they have plenty of analysts to help them make decisions. Idk.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46231 Posts

@Telekill said:

I think scalpers got handed next gen systems on a silver platter due to such a high percentage of the systems being sold online due to covid. You can thank China if you don't have the system you want.

But China is the one making all our consoles.

So should I thank China for getting mine, or thank China for not getting mine?

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

They don't care. The PS5 was a bitch to get and I had to do a lot of stalking different websites and forums to get one a couple of weeks after launch, it was pure ****. I'm in no hurry on getting the Series X, every store in Finland is sold out, like always, I'd have to do that same crap again to get one.

Edit: I sold my original pre-order to my friend, made zero profit out of it.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: Actually PS5 is made in Japan... it even says so on the bottom of mine.

You can thank China for covid which forced online shopping which opened the golden gates for scalpers.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-62852ef1135c6

@shadyacshuns said:
@wandering_halls said:

You sure? I remember reading an article not long ago about very low attach rates for PS5.

https://www.psu.com/news/report-finds-ps5-scalpers-are-threatening-long-term-health-of-the-console/

Doom and gloom. Software/hardware are not going to be hit by any of this in the long run.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46231 Posts

@Telekill said:

@R4gn4r0k: Actually PS5 is made in Japan... it even says so on the bottom of mine.

You can thank China for covid which forced online shopping which opened the golden gates for scalpers.

True the covid outbreak is China's fault; But it's also down to the way we live. We keep ruining this planet and keep living more and more dense.

It's nice that the PS5 is being made in Japanese factories, but I'm sure many, many parts come from Chinese ones.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I suspect it helps them. Not only do they get the sale from the scalper, but it creates a sort of artificial scarcety and prestige to getting one - people who might have waited years might be more likely to try to get one because doing so has become "gamified" and seems like a more valuable product than it is. And impulse buys - you see one and you buy it. Because it's special

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1642 Posts

The OP has ignored the elephant in the room, that being that there is a global chip shortage.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

Yeah something definitely needs to be done because scalping is simply out of control these days. At least with these consoles the product is continuing to be produced so eventually they’ll be more readily available. It sucks if you really want one now though. The worst though is the things that are actually limited such as Collector’s Editions of games. Those usually are gone in minutes these days and then a bunch get posted on eBay or other reselling sites right away. That just straight up bs.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

It's up to retailers to do that, and yes, scalpers can get around it.

tribesjah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 tribesjah
Member since 2007 • 197 Posts

Honestly it was fairly easy to get both consoles even during the height of demand. I managed to get my XSX on pre-order (and a 2nd XSX for another room two months ago) and PS5 a few weeks after launch. Just follow a Twitter tracker and once you see something just go right away, super easy. Especially now with WFH where you can be working, see a notification, quickly do that for 5m or less and then go back to working.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4365 Posts

@gym_lion said:
@onesiphorus said:

why is that so hard for people to understand?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45094 Posts

@zerothehero said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

There was a post on resetera a kid made 110,000 dollars already scalping PS5's...trust me it wasn't like this for the ps2 and ps4. This kid needs to be restricted to one per customer. He's averaging 800-1000 dollars flipping them and nobody is stopping him. He also hired 2 people to help him at 15 dollars an hour. It's getting bad.

I'm just saying it's not impossible to get one. You must be vigilant!

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Because you touch yourself at night, Protoss. I'm guessing that's your only option, sadly.

faponte13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 faponte13
Member since 2013 • 263 Posts

Yea. I wish Target was getting a majority of the stock they only allow pickup so the slows down the scalpers. Thats how I found a XSX for my buddy. I still can't find a ps5 for myself.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

They probably aren't set up for mostly selling through their own site. Places like BestBuy/Amazon/EBGames/etc have established supply lines and ability to ship for online sales, or move products between stores and locations.

With regards to retailers, they absolutely need to set up "one per customer" stipulations, but many won't care as once they sell the unit, the money is theirs unless there's a return.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I think the scalper situation makes both look more desirable.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

I laugh at people stupid enough to pay inflated scalper prices for boxes with little to nothing worth playing.

This gen is a pure joke and I laugh at myself for the same reason and I only paid retail.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@firedrakes said:
@gym_lion said:
@onesiphorus said:

why is that so hard for people to understand?

This line of reasoning works better if you're talking about the retailer.

For Sony/MS, the longer their consoles sit in scalpers hands, the longer they're going without people investing in software and services. Which is where they really make their money. This is why console makers are willing to sell consoles at a loss.

Obviously the consoles will eventually land in the hands of the consumer, but at a hiked up price, likely less cash being spent on software and peripherals to go alongside their new machine.

Sure they can afford to weather the situation and eventually things will settle. But it definitely hurts the bottom line for a while and you can bet they'd rather have these machines in the hands of paying consumers who start spending the moment they own one.

For most scalper situations, would agree with you guys. But this is a bit different from sneakers and gpus.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@wandering_halls said:
@shadyacshuns said:
@wandering_halls said:

Doom and gloom. Software/hardware are not going to be hit by any of this in the long run.

I agree... IF Sony has regular sales in their store for the $70 titles, which I believe they will.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@shadyacshuns said:
@onesiphorus said:

The people buying the scalped consoles are buying software.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

I don’t think scalpers really care about these consoles. The profit margins are far too thin. The issue is the supply shortages. And even then, if you were serious about getting one, you’d have one by now. I own 5 next gen consoles. Purchased 4 more for friends/family.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Scalpers exist and will continue to exist as long as there are people willing to pay for having the "next" shit right on day one.

As for availability, you can get Xbox series S in my neck of the woods practically anywhere and PS5 with disc player are available at many places, both Costco at my city have them for 13,999 MEX tax ncluded ( around 700 US ). What you don't see a lot are series Xs and PS5 digital.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1342 Posts

If people who bought the scalped consoles would quit being such Cucks and not give them business and a reason to sell at high prices you guys wouldn’t have a problem buying one off the shelf.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@goldenelementxl said:

if you were serious about getting one, you’d have one by now.

Don't agree with you there, bro. I half agree, as I was able to find a Series X, as an expensive bundle at GS, but I've yet to find a PS5 yet. My local stores, which includes WM and GS, just don't have ANY consoles in stock over the past year or so. They tell everyone to go buy online.

Unless you mean paying scalper prices, which I refuse to do (Gamestop practices are bad enough).