Why isn't anyone talking about Borderlands 3? Official Gameplay Reveal Trailer.

• 56 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#1 Edited by SolidGame_basic (24163 posts) -

The video has only 88,000 views since yesterday. Are people just not hyped for this game? I definitely think they waited too long to release a sequel. Either that or previous games weren't as popular as they are trying to make you believe.

#2 Posted by Mandzilla (4084 posts) -

The world isn't ready for walking guns just yet.

#3 Posted by freedomfreak (51182 posts) -

Looks like DLC.

And it's Borderlands.

#4 Posted by knight-k (2600 posts) -

Pff, I don't know, these loot shooters are ok for some time but I'm burnout on them. Borderlands 1 and its DLC was great though.

Actually loot games have never really interested me much, diablo, etc all rely on these addiction mechanics. Rather play a shorter game with a good story/gameplay hence PS exclusives like GOW.

#5 Posted by robert_sparkes (3013 posts) -

Because loot shooters are becoming stale.

#6 Posted by DaVillain- (36456 posts) -

For starters, not everyone was thrill with BL3 reveal, some say it looks more the same, (which is true) and for the PC crowd, it's Epic exclusive which piss-off alot of PC gamers for that reason alone. So yeah, some are just gonna wait until it hits Steam and some are waiting for reviews anyways.

As for this gameplay trailer. Graphics looks a lot better than the reveal video indicated so that really impress me more then I thought. I for one am happy to see Gearbox haven't fucked up the Borderlands formula. I think I've seen enough to know that this will be a day one purchase on PC.

#7 Posted by Gatygun (1469 posts) -

Never cared for the game series. Looks like another try hard shooter to me.

#8 Edited by Litchie (23865 posts) -

The game looks like DLC for Borderlands 2, and BL3 should've been made and released about 5 years ago. It's also an EGS exclusive.

This is very little very late. Hopefully not many will buy it, showing them that being asshats isn't a thing that should be rewarded.

#9 Posted by SecretPolice (35246 posts) -

GamePass or bust. :P

#10 Posted by ZmanBarzel (1851 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

The video has only 88,000 views since yesterday. Are people just not hyped for this game? I definitely think they waited too long to release a sequel. Either that or previous games weren't as popular as they are trying to make you believe.

I think it's not just the "waiting too long to release a sequel," but also releasing the Pre-Sequel that soured some on the franchise. (The whole Oxygen mechanic didn't do it any favors.)

As others have said already, there's also the fact that loot shooters have become much more common since 2012 (or 2014, if you want to count TPS). Now you have your pick of Warframe, two Destinies, two Divisions, Anthem and whatever the dregs of Steam have to offer. Your choices expand even more if you want to do co-op looting but are willing to use mechanics other than shooting: Monster Hunter World, Diablo III, Sea of Thieves, etc.

#11 Posted by enzyme36 (4185 posts) -

Too far off from release for me to be hype

#12 Posted by Robbie23 (342 posts) -

I thought Borderlands one was fun when it first released, however I'm over looter shooters now. I got halfway in Borderlands 2 before getting sick of it.

#13 Posted by R4gn4r0k (30983 posts) -
@freedomfreak said:

Looks like DLC.

And it's Borderlands.

This. It looks like more Borderlands, but a bit 'cleaner'

#14 Edited by dxmcat (2609 posts) -

Bored-erlands

#15 Posted by madrocketeer (6588 posts) -

I was watching the stream, and it was a case of "slow start, decent finish" for me. The animations looked bad, and guns felt lacking in impact and weightless. I hope they tune that a bit.

But once they started dropping Tediore guns that turned into little turrets with legs, I was much more into it. Then it became simply "Borderlands, but more." Characters now have three Action Skills instead of one. Guns are now more distinct and have wild and wacky alternate fires. Enemies were hammy and over-the-top. The humour and cultural references are there. There's a gun that fires exploding cheeseburgers and has a flavour text that goes "Dayum." That made me smile. The hub spaceship and travelling to different planets was exactly what was promised. The writer said the campaign was a minimum of 30 hours long. That sounds like a proper Borderlands game.

In the end, again, it looks like Borderlands, but with more of everything - and that's pretty much all I want. Don't fix what's not broken. It was never a game that was going to set the world on fire, but just a solid mix of loot, humour, story and a distinct style. And having put 300+ hours into each of the previous Borderlands games, it's also great value for money. Borderlands 3 is shaping to be more of that, and if it turns out so, that will be enough for a pre-order for me - when it comes to Steam.

#16 Posted by Vaeh (466 posts) -

Because it's a Epic store exclusive. I'd be more interested if this was new Brothers in Arms game.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#17 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4571 posts) -

Borderlands is okay, but I never understood what made people nuts about it. "OOO! NEW MICRO-VARIANT OF GUN!" isn't exactly the most appealing of gameplay hooks to me.

#18 Posted by foxhound_fox (97891 posts) -

Probably because a large part of the audience moved on after BL2 and this looks like more of the same?

Also, it's EGS exclusive on PC, where many people played the original two.

#19 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9787 posts) -

Looks like poor mans Rage 2. waste of time.

#20 Posted by uninspiredcup (33280 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Looks like DLC.

And it's Borderlands.

^

Basically

#21 Posted by sleepnsurf (3181 posts) -

Buying it day one and I don't ever do that anymore. They are pushing for 4k 60fps on the X so that is a no brainer for me. Been waiting for too long for this game. I hope they did away with the robots in BL2.

#22 Posted by HEATHEN75 (685 posts) -

Already got my 4 man crew ready to go. Will be the 3rd game I've reserved in the last 5 years or so.

#23 Posted by djoffer (1312 posts) -

Just looks very meh and also the division 2 is currently king of looter shooters imo and looks so much better than this imo..

#24 Posted by VFighter (4887 posts) -

@ghosts4ever: Do you realize how stupid what you said was?

#25 Edited by madrocketeer (6588 posts) -
@vfighter said:

@ghosts4ever: Do you realize how stupid what you said was?

Forget it. I've already tried laying it out to him. In his mind, the two games look superficially similar, therefore they are the same.

#26 Posted by pelvist (7384 posts) -

I'm glad its an EGS exclusive. If it was on Steam id probably end up buying it because of my friends asking me to get it for coop with them and I didn't really like BL2.

#27 Posted by locus-solus (1113 posts) -

One of Take Two ceo bonus is depended on recurrent user spending. the Microtransactions are likely to be bad!

#28 Posted by watercrack445 (1547 posts) -

Claptrap is in the game.

#29 Posted by Valgaav_219 (2364 posts) -

I have Borderlands 2. I like the gameplay mechanics but not the premise. I love the cell shaded artstyle but the game just seems too goofy for me. I like my shooters serious so I doubt I'll ever beat it. If Borderlands 3 gets high review scores I'll probably check it out, though.

#30 Posted by XVision84 (15969 posts) -

Epic exclusive. As far as I'm concerned the game isn't coming out until it's on steam.

#31 Posted by mojito1988 (3598 posts) -

I hardly need to talk about it, as it is a DAY 1 MUST BUY for me! I love the variety of guns, and the overall wackiness of the game.

Between Borderlands 3, Hytale, and Mario Maker 2 I am off to a great year in gaming! Wahoo!

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#32 Posted by SolidGame_basic (24163 posts) -
@Litchie said:

The game looks like DLC for Borderlands 2, and BL3 should've been made and released about 5 years ago. It's also an EGS exclusive.

This is very little very late. Hopefully not many will buy it, showing them that being asshats isn't a thing that should be rewarded.

Is it really that big of a deal that it's exclusive to EGS? It's not like you have to buy new hardware.

#33 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25240 posts) -

Meh. I played this already with Borderlands 2. :P

Seriously, though, I am just bored of Borderlands.

I did pre-order Rage 2 and A Plague Tale, however. Got Rage 2 for 48 and Plague Tale for 37.

#34 Posted by Xabiss (2621 posts) -

Looks great, day one, cant wait!

#35 Posted by getyeryayasout (12320 posts) -

I find that it's best to take a wait and see approach with all things having to do with the Smut Wizard. Especially video games.

#36 Posted by thereal25 (1762 posts) -

Bl2 was alright, but it got a bit stale after a while.

At least this new one seems to have a decent single player component.

#37 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (18847 posts) -

Borderlands has never been my cup of tea.

#38 Posted by uninspiredcup (33280 posts) -

What a prick.

#39 Posted by Archangel3371 (27897 posts) -

I really enjoyed Borderlands 2 so I’m pretty hyped for this next game.

#40 Posted by madrocketeer (6588 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

What a prick.

To be fair to him, the article kind of ruined his PR victory moment at the reveal, and as a heavy social media user, it's normal for him to react emotively and obsessively, as heavy social media users tend to do.

Anyway, here's the start of a Twitter thread where he clarified what he meant by "no microtransactions:"

Basically, he's strongly implying that post-launch content will be identical to Borderlands 2; a bunch of story DLCs, plus lots of cosmetic DLCs. That's it. No loot boxes, no premium currency, no grind walls with paid "Skip" buttons.

Time will tell if that pans out. But if he means what he says, I can understand why he would be a little sensitive.

#41 Edited by uninspiredcup (33280 posts) -

@madrocketeer: He gets bad PR because he's an objectively proven liar, and potential criminal.

He runs about acting like his shit smells of roses when he was was tarred a long, long ago. The recent kerfuffle is merely kindling.

Yes, the gaming media is questionable, but him blaming them for his negative perception is fucking nonsense.

#42 Edited by madrocketeer (6588 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

@madrocketeer: He gets bad PR because he's an objectively proven lair, and potential criminal.

He runs about acting like his shit smells of roses when he was was tarred a long, long ago. The recent kerfuffle is merely kindling.

Yes, the gaming media is questionable, but him blaming them for his negative perception is fucking nonsense.

As I said, time will tell. The game's releasing eventually, so we'll all get to see the truth eventually.

But I take things on a case-by-case basis, especially on such inconsequential matter as video gaming. Track record can be a backdrop to judging the truthfulness of a statement, but it shouldn't be used to pre-determine a verdict on that specific statement.

#43 Posted by Litchie (23865 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic: I really don't want to support Epic in any way, as I believe they're actively making the game industry worse. So I'm not getting any EGS exclusive game.

No, it's not that big of a deal, since it's Borderlands. Metro being exclusive was more annoying, but I got over it.

#44 Posted by VagrantSnow (317 posts) -

No steam release so not really interested in it myself. Plenty of other games to keep me entertained until all these epic store exclusives become available.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#45 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (28997 posts) -

I feel like they missed the boat. There was a time where this sequel was highly anticipated. Then they kinda missed their moment. It's feeling a little crackdown 3 in the "ehhh who cares" dept.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#46 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (28997 posts) -

@vagrantsnow said:

No steam release so not really interested in it myself. Plenty of other games to keep me entertained until all these epic store exclusives become available.

Are epic store games not available to play on PC or something?

#47 Posted by Zidaneski (8825 posts) -

I've played and replayed borderlands 2 countless times. I watched the reveal and the changes are definitely welcome. I really don't need any more convincing, I know I'll play and replay BL3 with my friends many times once again. The story dlc for previous games were fantastic and easily worth it. Me and my friends are definitely excited and talking about it but I think I can go without any more news on this game, I'm just waiting for the release date now.

#48 Posted by phbz (4410 posts) -

It will probably be just a regular good and complete game, of course no one is taking about it. Nothing to be outraged about.

#49 Posted by DaVillain- (36456 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@vagrantsnow said:

Are epic store games not available to play on PC or something?

Most PC gamers like to own just about every game on Steam mainly to add to their Steam library collection. I do the same since Steam is my HQ of gaming collection and follow by GoG and more. Epic is the least friendly of the bunch, but I don't mind buying game on Epic if it's the only option to play that game and I could wait for BL3 come to Steam but sadly, time isn't on my side, so I'm buying it on Epic.

#50 Edited by NoodleFighter (10241 posts) -
@madrocketeer said:
@uninspiredcup said:

What a prick.

To be fair to him, the article kind of ruined his PR victory moment at the reveal, and as a heavy social media user, it's normal for him to react emotively and obsessively, as heavy social media users tend to do.

Anyway, here's the start of a Twitter thread where he clarified what he meant by "no microtransactions:"

Basically, he's strongly implying that post-launch content will be identical to Borderlands 2; a bunch of story DLCs, plus lots of cosmetic DLCs. That's it. No loot boxes, no premium currency, no grind walls with paid "Skip" buttons.

Time will tell if that pans out. But if he means what he says, I can understand why he would be a little sensitive.

But he said there would be no microtransactions and the cosmetics DLCs are microtransactions just cause they aren't loot boxes, premium currencies and skip buttons doesn't mean they're not microtransactions. His PR victory moment was under false pretensions. It's easier to get praise and pro-gamer points for saying you won't sell microtransactions than just saying the only microtransactions in the game will be cosmetic.