Why is this gen the "lazy remaster gen"?

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Ben-Buja
Member since 2011 • 2809 Posts

@leandrro said:

@Halo2-Best-FPS said:

It sure beats broken and barely working backwards compatability like PC has.

wut??

Didn't you know, when a feature gets cut from your favorite piece of plastic it instantly loses its relevance.

Seriously, the lack of backwards compatibility of the PS4 and XB1 is just terrible and only mindless fanboys would defend it.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@Ben-Buja said:

@leandrro said:

@Halo2-Best-FPS said:

It sure beats broken and barely working backwards compatability like PC has.

wut??

Didn't you know, when a feature gets cut from your favorite piece of plastic it instantly loses its relevance.

Seriously, the lack of backwards compatibility of the PS4 and XB1 is just terrible and only mindless fanboys would defend it.

not really. so you want to buy a ps3 game to play on ps4? doesnt make sense. it will make the ps4 look like a ps3 game and give the new console a bad image.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@ProtossX said:

i blame the ps4 and its user base

i mean this wouldn't have happened if pc masterr race or xb1 was in charge they wouldnt have let this happen imo

It has nothing to do with that. Devs are doing remasters due to the cost and difficulty they are facing with making new games. It's a sign of the times in gaming.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

Because money.

Exactly! Bingo! On the spot! Making new IPs has become costly and risky. This has made many devs doing remasters.

I have to say that my biggest disappointment this gen this far was the release of Super Stardust remastered. I was expecting a new Stardust, but is just the old one put on the PS4 with different planets with all the same everything else.

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts

Because people keep buying them :(

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts

people love those remakes.

I cant wait till developers get bold enough to start making games they made last year.....

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Can't say I'm disappointed. I pay only for the ones I want and the ignore the rest. The upcoming line up of new games is stacked so I really don't see the downside to remasters.

*most remasters are sourced to a third party while new games are being developed by the main teams

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

I believe it's Lack of Backwards Compatibility on XB1 and PS4. Had Sony and MS included this feature, there would NEVER have been QUICK REMASTERS for these same games. Early in Generation 7, I don't recall seeing an INFLUX of Remasters coming on board. It wasn't until PS3 Fat was slimmed down and excluded the B/C feature, that we saw Ratchets, Slys, GOWs, etc being remastered for the PS3 Slims and PS3 Slimmers. And because XBOX 360 had some B/C feature, I don't recall seeing any INFLUX of remasters, aside from Halo, being ported over.

It's quick cash in for developers, to provide gamers who missed out on previous versions of the same games.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#59 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

They're not exactly topping the charts though, so the idea that it's a quick cash-in is an exaggeration.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#60 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Because risk-taking and new ideas cost way more money than re-releasing something where the hard work has already been done.

NewWellofGabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 NewWellofGabe
Member since 2015 • 113 Posts

@Legend002 said:

Can't say I'm disappointed. I pay only for the ones I want and the ignore the rest.

I agree, as there are some games/series that I missed out on from PS2/PS3 that I would like to play, such as Ratchet and Clank and Uncharted. But having so many remasters is a worrying trend to me, it takes the focus away from making new, innovative games.

Avatar image for zerooriginality
ZeroOriginality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 ZeroOriginality
Member since 2005 • 220 Posts

As long as they're not charging 59.99 per game, I won't have a problem with remasters. I own the Metal Gear Solid and Zone Of The Enders Hd Collections and I plan on getting the Devil May Cry Collection.

Imagine trying to track down a copy of MGS 3 Subsistence and Zone Of The Enders 2nd Runner before they were released in HD Collections. Both Collections combined are cheaper.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

Don't understand why people complain about remasters.

1. Don't buy them if they offend you.

2. They are there for people who probably didn't own the console last gen or who probably never gave the game the chance.

3. Don't buy them if they offend you.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#64 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

@Chris_Williams said:

1. Don't buy them if they offend you.

That doesn't mean I'm not allowed to criticize it. Otherwise we wouldn't even have a System Wars forum.

It's really obnoxious and annoying when people throw this thoughtless "don't buy it" card.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Bread_or_Decide:

Why couldn't we just have Backwards Compatibility ? :(

..thread end.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

@SpinoRaptor24:

I never said you didn't have a right to criticize I just said don't buy them. I think it's also kind of pointless to criticize them because they are going to keep being made because they make money. You don't want to be be apart of them that's fine. But boy are you going to mad come E3.

Link3301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#67 Link3301
Member since 2008 • 2001 Posts

Remasters became pretty popular toward the end of last gen, so devs and publishers see it as a type of thing gamers are interested in. It just becoming more prominent and noticeable now I think because we are at the beginning of a new gen so the remastered games feel like lazy rereleases compared to last gens remasters because the remastering is happening much closer to the original version's release. 7th gen remasters of 6th gen games came well into the 7th gen so they felt more fresh than seeing a 7th gen game ported to 8th gen about a year later. Also, I think devs have more incentive to do remasters as it makes them able to fill the void of next gen releases we have right now with their remasters. Thus, they have less competition with new high quality next gen games and can easily sell higher res version of popular 7th gen games. I mean seriously the PS4 finally got an exclusive that scored over a 90 on metacritic. The PS4 and XB1 both have very lackluster exclusive libraries and most AAA multiplats are crap now too.

Sylveon128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Sylveon128
Member since 2015 • 99 Posts

I like remastered game because they are so much better than today's games but I will say I too am getting sick of the remastered for ps4 because some of the games they are getting is not that old so it makes them look lazy. I think a game should be five to ten year old to get a remastered.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#69 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@scatteh316 said:

Quite simply..... Last generation latest so long that the games released in the last couple of years were held back by the old hardware and wasn't really the games the developers wanted them to be or release.

So they release them again on the newer machines and try to make them resemble the game they originally planned for.

But these games only have higher resolution and frame rates. They are releasing ports and calling them "remasters". Not to mention, core of those games is still last gen IMO.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Cloud_imperium

We are seeing remasters because there is no Backward Compatibility, which means they can re-release same games again in higher resolution and frame rates with minor tweaks, and get some cash in return. Apart from ones who want to experience the game in better graphics ("We don't care about graphics" is a lie), there are some people who for some reason couldn't play the game last gen, buy these games. I don't mind remasters as long as there are new games but sadly, there are more remasters of good games from last gen than new good games so far, but things will become better later on. It also costs them less money to simply make a straight port and then charge almost as much as a new game. Easy money.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

@Cloud_imperium: Yep it's easy money , just after releasing Resident Evil HD Remaster by CAPCOM a storm of remaster announcements and games came both to steam & consoles and most of them have no real improvements for instance look at Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered , nothing changed about this game , still look like a 2005 game and worse than that it has bugs

off topic : what's the best remastered game in your opinion ?

Mine is Grim Fandango

eNT1TY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 eNT1TY
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts

I guess enough people buy them making remasters/remakes a viable revenue stream. Almost seems like for every person that makes a conscientious effort to reject the concept by not spending money on them there are ten (or 2 or even half it doesn't matter) that open their wallets (matters) eagerly or otherwise thus they continue to release them (or is it re-release?). With that said i myself have purchased at least one and would purchase again if the right game gets remade. I'm part of the problem... you're welcome.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Cloud_imperium

@the_master_race said:

@Cloud_imperium: Yep it's easy money , just after releasing Resident Evil HD Remaster by CAPCOM a storm of remaster announcements and games came both to steam & consoles and most of them have no real improvements for instance look at Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered , nothing changed about this game , still look like a 2005 game and worse than that it has bugs

off topic : what's the best remastered game in your opinion ?

Mine is Grim Fandango

Grim Fandango, Black Mesa and Homeworld: Remastered. Upcoming... Warcraft: Armies of Azeroth (Warcraft 3 remake. 100% free and standalone)

Loading Video...

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#74 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

The real fact is that this gen games take longer because more detail is required. But publishers cannot afford big gaps between games so they think they could remaster a few and see how it goes.

Then idiots bought them in droves and now every publisher is buying a new Ferrari because they have so many remasters lined up they might as well retire and forget new games altogether.

None of the real old games are getting remastered because too much work. Stop buying these remasters.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

I think all the developers underestimated the development time necessary for the new IP games in this generation and the remasters are just fillers. The games are coming, but it's taking a while. If you think about the end of the PS3/360 era, great games were coming out at a regular pace. We'll get back to that, but it's going to take a few years. But really remasters don't bother me at all but however, it should only and only be done just the big 3 only cause most of there exclusives don't come to PC and so far, Xbox One has only one remastered game, MCC. PS4 has 2, TLOU and the upcoming God of War 3. Wii U has only 2, Bayonetta and Wind Waker. The rest are just 3rd parties that are doing a lot of Remasters, not the big 3 themselves.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44033 Posts

There was absolutely nothing lazy at all about MCC in fact they worked their ass off on that compilation especially Halo 2 and in fact had to work their ass off some more even after MCC shipped hahaha. :P

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

@lostrib said:

because you touch yourself at night

another useless post by Mr. Useless Post.

Loading Video...
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#78  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Hmm...i see lots of new games too.

It's funny how, 20 years ago, the first Playstation and the Sega Saturn used to get dozens of older games (Doom, C&C, Warcraft 2, Myst, etc, etc), and no one cried about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@PAL360 said:

It's funny how, 20 years ago, the first Playstation and the Sega Saturn used to get dozens of older games (Doom, Final Doom, Warcraft 2, Myst, etc, etc), and no one cried about it.

These were pc games though. The console and pc market were more separated than they are today.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#80 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

@Heirren said:

@PAL360 said:

It's funny how, 20 years ago, the first Playstation and the Sega Saturn used to get dozens of older games (Doom, Final Doom, Warcraft 2, Myst, etc, etc), and no one cried about it.

These were pc games though. The console and pc market were more separated than they are today.

It doesn't matter. I went from 360 to PS4, so TLoU was a new game to me. I also played both Metro games for the first time this gen, and got GTA5 again for the first person view...and because the game is that good.

No one os forced to buy the remasters because, again, there are lots of new games too.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@PAL360:

It is still different. I don't know if you were playing games back then but the pc scene was so far away from consoles that things weren't even sold under the same circumstances. What you are saying is more akin to SNES, Genesis, N64, etc etc, having the bulk of the pusher/marketed titles be games from the prior generation. This strips the identity of the console away and because it can be so easily monetized it can eventually damage the perspective of the product line.

I hear what you are saying in that a remaster may be new to X and Y gamer. I agree it can be a positive.

Monarchy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Monarchy16
Member since 2014 • 48 Posts

Indies are like reality television shows-- cheap to produce making them easy to profit from.
Remasters are like old television shows upgraded to HD like Seinfeld and Friends-- there's always an audience.

It's all about cost-effectiveness these days.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#83 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Because you people will buy ANYTHING.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart:

And thats a wrap..... theres jyst nothing else to say after that.

#TRUTHBOMB.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Because you people will buy ANYTHING.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Because you're gaming on PS4 or Xbox One

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Easy ports. Easy money. Its really that simple.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#88 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@lostrib: lol he's white

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

The are shown to sell and sell well in some cases.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

Garbage children's toys that can't do BC.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@-God- said:

they can, the companies just don't want to. they lose money that way.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

@-God- said:

they can, the companies just don't want to. they lose money that way.

Milk Machines

slim70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 slim70
Member since 2005 • 768 Posts

Blame the Sony for that.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@-God-:

Can't blame them..... its not their fault gamers are so gullible...... I mean what would you do if a bunch of gamers just kept paying you for what ever junk you put out there ? Tell them stop ? If so then you're a better man than I am......