Why is PC online gaming = Nerdy, while Xbox online gaming = Cool?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wok7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 wok7
Member since 2003 • 2034 Posts
Well it's the truth, lolz. Real life friends ftw, also PC gaming would be dead if it weren't for torrent downloading : )
solidsnakeEx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#3 solidsnakeEx3
Member since 2004 • 26413 Posts
People forget that a lot of XBL players do play alone as well.  There's really no difference "cool" factor difference unless you're playing an MMO, which XBL has (Albeit a crappy one)
16bitkevin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 16bitkevin
Member since 2005 • 3962 Posts
So you can't play with real life friends online on PC? =/
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
Because one of them you do alone in your basement while the other you do on the couch with friends?Brown52
You always go on XBL with friends? Why not just play split screen?
alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 alfy13
Member since 2004 • 3600 Posts
Because one of them you do alone in your basement while the other you do on the couch with friends?Brown52
uh makes no sense. really when i mp on my 360 , im doing it thru xbl. so im kinda of confused on your statement. unless you talking about split screen= the cool. which i find is annoying
darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 darklord888
Member since 2004 • 8382 Posts
So you can't play with real life friends online on PC? =/16bitkevin
No because PC gamers are loner nerd losers and 360 guys are cool 13 year olds with hot girlfriends and 50 gazillion friends!!!!!111!! Really pc gaming is just the same (except better).
Avatar image for fatzombiepigeon
fatzombiepigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 fatzombiepigeon
Member since 2005 • 8199 Posts
That's a very good question. You win the internet.
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
Does the room you play in really mean anything?
Xeonz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Xeonz
Member since 2006 • 1083 Posts
Smart gamers know you don't have a fee for PC online gaming, except for MMO's of course. That's one of the main reasons I chose to game on the PC, because I do play most of my games online. On Xbox Live there can be people who add friends randomly that they don't know, same as for services like xfire.
Brown52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Brown52
Member since 2006 • 2639 Posts
[QUOTE="Brown52"]:)Danm_999
You always go on XBL with friends? Why not just play split screen?

Well, I redacted my statement.  I feel like imma get mod'd for it.
kdizzle815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kdizzle815
Member since 2004 • 2572 Posts
because I said so
Optusnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13 Optusnet
Member since 2003 • 11065 Posts

PC online community >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> XBL online community.
PC online gaming as a whole >>>>>> XBL online gaming as a whole.

Fine then, nerdy is better, but i'll be enjoying it more with them than the 'cool' kids....

waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
I think the stigma is not on the online systems but it's that PC gaming in general is viewed as nerdy and console gaming is seen as more casual.
Sushimaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sushimaster
Member since 2003 • 2671 Posts
Video games are nerdy.  Those who think otherwise, really need to get over it.  You are in DENIAL!
trix5817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 trix5817
Member since 2004 • 12252 Posts
gaming with friends=lame. I only do it sometimes with my GC. Or I'll play some Madden at someone's place. I do other things besides game when I'm with friends, you should too.....
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
Video games are nerdy.  Those who think otherwise, really need to get over it.  You are in DENIAL!Sushimaster
I know I'm a nerd but many others who game aren't, look at the throngs of casual gamers.
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Redmoonxl2
Member since 2003 • 11059 Posts
Well it's the truth, lolz. Real life friends ftw, also PC gaming would be dead if it weren't for torrent downloading : )wok7

How about no? I have friends but newsflash: They are not into gaming. This is where online gaming comes into play. One set of friends for real life, the other for online games.

By the way, PC online play and Xbox Live is basically the same thing. Biggest difference? You have to pay an annual fee for Live and there is a larger variety of online on the PC.
Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Leejjohno
Member since 2005 • 13897 Posts
Take it from an outside perspective, they're both nerdy, and gaming in general is nerdy as well, especially if you think you are "hardcore".
MentatAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 MentatAssassin
Member since 2005 • 3007 Posts

Biggest difference? You have to pay an annual fee for Live and there is a larger variety of online on the PC.
Redmoonxl2

Yeah good thing it's annual and not monthly or else I'd feel uber uncool. 

coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 coolguy1111
Member since 2005 • 3991 Posts
Yea because i dont no any of the friends i play with. Im playing on a Cal team with total strangers :roll:.
coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 coolguy1111

[QUOTE="Redmoonxl2"]
Biggest difference? You have to pay an annual fee for Live and there is a larger variety of online on the PC.
MentatAssassin

Lmao monthly fees are for loser. Anual fees is the way to go, all the COOL kids are doing it.
coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 coolguy1111
Take it from an outside perspective, they're both nerdy, and gaming in general is nerdy as well, especially if you think you are "hardcore".Leejjohno
And FF7 is cool >
shsonline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 shsonline
Member since 2005 • 2937 Posts
Because the general public portrays pc online gaming as "teh uber nerdy warcraft players with no life" while 360 players are casual, couple hours a day madden online and halo players. Not saying its right (although its sometimes true) but thats the public portrayal I guess.
coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 coolguy1111
Is an online friend not a friend? Just cause you cant be with them makes not a friend? If anything, friends online are more of a friend. Its prooven people will associate friends with looks, even two straight guys, youll be attracted to the more fit person, online thats not an issue. And most of my friends arent into pc gaming, i only have like 7 friends i no in rl that pc game.
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Redmoonxl2
[QUOTE="MentatAssassin"]

[QUOTE="Redmoonxl2"]
coolguy1111

Lmao monthly fees are for loser. Anual fees is the way to go, all the COOL kids are doing it.

Haha! I assume that the 6 month subscribers are posers?

Geez, seriously, I find it funny that people like the OP is trying to grasp at this invisible title that makes online gaming "cool". ZOMG!!1!!111! I play Xbox Live adz Iz bee cool!!1!1!
MentatAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 MentatAssassin
Member since 2005 • 3007 Posts

Is an online friend not a friend?coolguy1111

He's a friend as long as he dosent mind loaning you a couple of gold every once in awhile.

Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Redmoonxl2

[QUOTE="coolguy1111"]Is an online friend not a friend?MentatAssassin

He's a friend as long as he dosent mind loaning you a couple of gold every once in awhile.

Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Leejjohno

[QUOTE="Leejjohno"]Take it from an outside perspective, they're both nerdy, and gaming in general is nerdy as well, especially if you think you are "hardcore".coolguy1111
And FF7 is cool >

No, I just like the game, and couldn't think of a better avatar, sod making one and sod the default logo.

Okay, lets not get personal but heres a tip and a clue to where you fit. Ask you're girlfriend what she thinks of gaming. There are three possible outcomes of this:

- You don't have one....... In this eventuality, Il just assume I told you so.

- You do and she said yes its nerdy....... I told you so.

- You do and she said no its cool........ Liar.

FoamingPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FoamingPanda
Member since 2003 • 2567 Posts

Because you're drawing your preceptions of social acceptance on the opinions of 14-18 year olds?  And just about anything someone that young believes is riddled with flaws and stupid assumptions?

I guess because you must employ more than 3 brain cells -- for xbox online, you need only one brain cell to plug in play, one to watch the screen, and one to shoot at movement and muzzle flash -- to play online?

coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 coolguy1111

[QUOTE="coolguy1111"]Is an online friend not a friend?MentatAssassin

Pffff he aint get not even broonze outa me.
the_hsoj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 the_hsoj
Member since 2006 • 1289 Posts

PC online gaming was never nerdy. PLaying contless hours playing online games like WoW was and is considered by most nerdy.

coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 coolguy1111

[QUOTE="coolguy1111"][QUOTE="Leejjohno"]Take it from an outside perspective, they're both nerdy, and gaming in general is nerdy as well, especially if you think you are "hardcore".Leejjohno

And FF7 is cool >

No, I just like the game, and couldn't think of a better avatar, sod making one and sod the default logo.

Okay, lets not get personal but heres a tip and a clue to where you fit. Ask you're girlfriend what she thinks of gaming. There are three possible outcomes of this:

- You do and she said yes its nerdy....... I told you so.

Wow, whats losery is someone on a gaming forum with alot of posts acting like hes cool.
Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Leejjohno
[QUOTE="Leejjohno"]

[QUOTE="coolguy1111"][QUOTE="Leejjohno"]Take it from an outside perspective, they're both nerdy, and gaming in general is nerdy as well, especially if you think you are "hardcore".coolguy1111

And FF7 is cool >

Wow, whats losery is someone on a gaming forum with alot of posts acting like hes cool.

Like who? I am not acting cool. Its a fact. I never said I was. That is how an "outsider" (note the word outsider) sees gamers and gaming, like it or not. Kids screaming over live are the last thing that is going to be seen as cool. And PC gaming has too many stereotypes to be ignored (we already heard the parents basement theory off of somebody else). Im telling you what isn't cool, not what is, and that I am. I don't even care if you are. People don't stand there talking about their "K/D" ratio in halo 2 when they are trying to pull.

coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 coolguy1111
[QUOTE="coolguy1111"][QUOTE="Leejjohno"]

[QUOTE="coolguy1111"][QUOTE="Leejjohno"]Take it from an outside perspective, they're both nerdy, and gaming in general is nerdy as well, especially if you think you are "hardcore".Leejjohno

And FF7 is cool >

Like who? I am not acting cool. Its a fact. I never said I was. That is how an "outsider" (note the word outsider) sees gamers and gaming, like it or not. Kids screaming over live are the last thing that is going to be seen as cool. And PC gaming has too many stereotypes to be ignored (we already heard the parents basement theory off of somebody else). Im telling you what isn't cool, not what is, and that I am. I don't even care if you are. People don't stand there talking about their "K/D" ratio in halo 2 when they are trying to pull.

O i thought u meant u were the outsider.
kittykatz5k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#37 kittykatz5k
Member since 2004 • 32249 Posts
Gaming alone won't make you kool or lame, it's just an activity. If you're nerdy then playing xbox online won't change that.
Rob2223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Rob2223
Member since 2006 • 7524 Posts
because i play, and talk to my "real life" friends on XB live.
coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 coolguy1111
because i play, and talk to my "real life" friends on XB live.Rob2223
I cant do that with a pc :/
Plug1Plug2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Plug1Plug2
Member since 2005 • 1387 Posts

to the original poster:

Black electronic devices are so 1990s.

mwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mwa
Member since 2003 • 2639 Posts
lol xbl gaming =/= cool...playing video games by nature is not "cool," and you shouldn't be playing to "be cool" anyway...as long as you're having fun, that's that
Tribeskhas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Tribeskhas
Member since 2004 • 2550 Posts
Most of my friends are not into gaming, there are a few (like 11 or so), but the rest do not really game, and if they do its only WoW, but most of us just hang out either at the mall, playing ball in one of our houses, going to a sports club or playing Paintball (which is loadz of fun), but i do wish some played a bit more games heh, lan parties would be awesome. Anyway the TC's statement is rtarded at best, when you play over XBL, you are alone. Also the basement thing, wtf? Do you guys seriously believe the BS which you say? I game on the PC in my room, has everything set-up, and when i will buy me a X360 (the platform which has the most PC ports on it, and very little exclusives), i will play it in my room too (except using my PC monitor, and then later get a nice 42" for my room) Anyway some console kids are quite dumb.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts
because 360 gaming is a communal experience. the stigma of gameplaying is that its a very isolated, quiet experience. hence the term "hermits" for PC fanboys. it's like a social separation stigma. but the 360 is fundamentally grounded in community. the game is the medium through with the communal experiences are obtained.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#44 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Aren't over generalizations great? I'm probably the biggest hermit around, but I'm one of the most active people you'll ever meet. Kickingboxing, soccer, being a mall rat; it comse with the terrirtory. I also find it funny how most of the online PC communities get together for large gatherings like barbeques and strip joints (LONG LIVE CEVO 05'). On xboxlive that sort of thing never happened. PC community isolated? MY ***!
kato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 kato_
Member since 2006 • 1423 Posts

PC gaming - you only play by yourself or online with other people through internet

Console gaming - up to 4 players or online with other people through internet

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#46 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts

PC gaming - you only play by yourself or online with other people through internet

Console gaming - up to 4 players or online with other people through internet

kato_
PC has splitscreen so ya.
jwcyclone15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jwcyclone15
Member since 2005 • 1149 Posts
[QUOTE="Rob2223"]because i play, and talk to my "real life" friends on XB live.coolguy1111
I cant do that with a pc :/

I only have people I actually now and went to school with or were on my travel baseball team on my steam and xfire.

munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#48 munu9
Member since 2004 • 11109 Posts
Because of the assumtion that online PC gamers are suppose to be really, really good and spend many hours on there computer therefore having no life and xbox360 online as basically being casual fun...
jwcyclone15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jwcyclone15
Member since 2005 • 1149 Posts
because 360 gaming is a communal experience. the stigma of gameplaying is that its a very isolated, quiet experience. hence the term "hermits" for PC fanboys. it's like a social separation stigma. but the 360 is fundamentally grounded in community. the game is the medium through with the communal experiences are obtained.Dreams-Visions

ROFL, you are taking a horrible generalization and generalising it even farther.....