Why is Kingdom Come Deliverance being underestimated?

• 184 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

@pimphand_gamer said:
@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@UssjTrunks said:

Never heard of it. Sounds pretty interesting.

I was suprised when I read the part in bold. Then I remembered this isn't a PC forum. I'm guessing you're not a PC gamer. This is a big deal on the PC.

@texasgoldrush:

I think the game will be extremely unpolished. Despite the "theft" system being infinitely more complex than throwing a bucket on an NPC's head and robbing them blind, it will have contrivances. The problem with games like this is that if the finer systems like eating, sleeping, injuries (to horses?) and NPC relationships aren't implemented properly, they can feel really "gamey" and actually detract from the experience. Sometimes less is more if it means being able to enjoy an experience without micromanaging. I hope they get it right.

Except it's also on consoles with a simultaneous release. I don't see it as a big deal on PC centric forums either and you can tell from gameplay footage that it's not polished but there's going to be some real performance issues on that Crytek engine as had all the other games that used Cryengine 4.

Games like Chivalry didn't do that great either as the time period leaves a lot to be desired., I don't think most gamers in general actually like simulations because they are never very fun but only to the niche crowds. I think it'll quickly get forgotten about right along with other simulation games.

Chivalry sold over 1.2 million copies in 9 months how is that not great?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:
@pimphand_gamer said:
@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@UssjTrunks said:

I was suprised when I read the part in bold. Then I remembered this isn't a PC forum. I'm guessing you're not a PC gamer. This is a big deal on the PC.

@texasgoldrush:

I think the game will be extremely unpolished. Despite the "theft" system being infinitely more complex than throwing a bucket on an NPC's head and robbing them blind, it will have contrivances. The problem with games like this is that if the finer systems like eating, sleeping, injuries (to horses?) and NPC relationships aren't implemented properly, they can feel really "gamey" and actually detract from the experience. Sometimes less is more if it means being able to enjoy an experience without micromanaging. I hope they get it right.

Except it's also on consoles with a simultaneous release. I don't see it as a big deal on PC centric forums either and you can tell from gameplay footage that it's not polished but there's going to be some real performance issues on that Crytek engine as had all the other games that used Cryengine 4.

Games like Chivalry didn't do that great either as the time period leaves a lot to be desired., I don't think most gamers in general actually like simulations because they are never very fun but only to the niche crowds. I think it'll quickly get forgotten about right along with other simulation games.

Mount & Blade franchise sold 6 million total 3 years ago too...

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#103 Johnny-n-Roger
Member since 2003 • 15151 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:

I wasn't sure of the exact statistic, but I knew it wasn't objectively bad, especially given that it doesn't have AAA production values or content. What console gamers consider "niche" markets are actually quite lucrative to developers that aren't being pressured by investors to maximize profits in as little time as possible.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#104 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

since it shows up on my public steam profile, I think I'm allowed to say I have been playing this since Wednesday. I'll say that so far I'm enjoying it, and that I think it will be extremely divisive in its reception. its pretty unique.

I can say more on the 13th

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#105 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@NoodleFighter said:

I wasn't sure of the exact statistic, but I knew it wasn't objectively bad, especially given that it doesn't have AAA production values or content. What console gamers consider "niche" markets are actually quite lucrative to developers that aren't being pressured by investors to maximize profits in as little time as possible.

Indeed. I wish AAA devs would get this message; we don't need the pay Josh Duhamel a few millions dollars for a few minutes of voice acting when that money could be better spent elsewhere. Oh yeah, and superbowl adds cost about 300 million per minute, remember that next time you see a video game advertised.

I guess what I am saying is I wish more mainstream developers took a less-is-more attitude like independent and smaller developers and publishers do.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@NoodleFighter said:

The developers of Monster Hunter World had said they were looking for long term sales that build up over time instead of short term sales that immediately fall off after the first month or two and holiday season. This is a good but I'm guessing this is mainly because of most of Capcom's recent games flopping which has humbled them.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@kozio said:

Shots fired!

I don't understand this tweet. Kingdom Come is selling on GOG.com, which is owned by CD Projekt Red. Also, The Witcher 3 goes on sale like every 2 months.

It's strange that The Witcher 3 is not on sale on GOG.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#108 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

I guess it's a combination of factors. New IP, made by an unknown studio. The creator being, let's say, a controversial figure, which means a lot of the media will keep coverage to a minimum and forums like Resetera won't allow discussions without huge disclaimers. Also the subject matter: 15th century Bohemia being kind of niche. Then of course we have the combat gameplay which looks a bit meh-ish at times.

Despite these things I think the overall games seems unique and very interesting. I like the ambition by the studio and this really seems like a true passion project. So I will probably get it.

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Johnny-n-Roger

@Sushiglutton said:

I guess it's a combination of factors. New IP, made by an unknown studio. The creator being, let's say, a controversial figure, which means a lot of the media will keep coverage to a minimum and forums like Resetera won't allow discussions without huge disclaimers. Also the subject matter: 15th century Bohemia being kind of niche. Then of course we have the combat gameplay which looks a bit meh-ish at times.

Despite these things I think the overall games seems unique and very interesting. I like the ambition by the studio and this really seems like a true passion project. So I will probably get it.

They have to fix that wobbly camera. No one wants the type of "immersion" that means every action causes your camera wobble and pan 90 degrees or that you frequently lose control of your character. The obscured view from using a face-shield doesn't look "fun" either. I understand if they want some sort of effect to imply a disadvantage to certain armor types, but they should scale it back a bit.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#110 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19568 Posts

Honestly, I've barely heard of this game, and I'm an indie-loving PC games and Kickstarter addict. I'm guessing the marketing is all wrong for this one - there's no exposure and not much word-of-mouth.

I actually thought this was just another generic low-budget medieval multiplayer game, based on the poster and images I saw.

After reading your description, the concept sounds great. It's nothing new - each of those elements has been done before - but I guess the combination of RPG and sim has rarely been done on this ambitious scale.

Still...concept is one thing, execution is another. There are 20 mediocre euro RPGs for every The Witcher 3, and the PC market is flooded with bland sims. Sims are particularly difficult to balance and make 'fun'.

I suspect this one might be in the solid 6/10 range - unpolished, inpenetrable, and maybe a hell of a lot of fun for a niche audience.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but there's more of a chance of this being The Guild 3 than Mount and Blade.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@UssjTrunks said:

@texasgoldrush:

I am a PC gamer.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Where is the hype thread, it's out tomorrow and it looks so cool! I hope it's at least an 8.

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Johnny-n-Roger

@Planeforger said:

Honestly, I've barely heard of this game, and I'm an indie-loving PC games and Kickstarter addict. I'm guessing the marketing is all wrong for this one - there's no exposure and not much word-of-mouth.

I actually thought this was just another generic low-budget medieval multiplayer game, based on the poster and images I saw.

After reading your description, the concept sounds great. It's nothing new - each of those elements has been done before - but I guess the combination of RPG and sim has rarely been done on this ambitious scale.

Still...concept is one thing, execution is another. There are 20 mediocre euro RPGs for every The Witcher 3, and the PC market is flooded with bland sims. Sims are particularly difficult to balance and make 'fun'.

I suspect this one might be in the solid 6/10 range - unpolished, inpenetrable, and maybe a hell of a lot of fun for a niche audience.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but there's more of a chance of this being The Guild 3 than Mount and Blade.

It's partially to do with having been boycotted by games journalism for ideological reasons. For that reason alone, I expect a sub-6 rating. The game's flaws will not be overlooked as they typically are with AAA titles because games journos only do this when there is an incentive to do so.

It isn't being marketed well either. But tbh, in <current year> bad marketing is as simple as not pumping millions of dollars into at least 2 cinematic pre-release trailers and stamping every gaming website with an animated banner and/or backdrop. It's difficult for intermediate publishers to enter the AAA market by design. If they were Ubisoft the game would be hyped as a "Next Gen Skyrim" by several media outlets by now.

The biggest question mark is with the game's "story telling". I'm not sure if it wants to be story and character driven in the way that Witcher 3 was, if it wants to be less player-centric like Skyrim, or if it want's to be a sandbox experience. It could also be like Fallout 4, where the player-centric narrative ruins the game.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I've seen some gameplay and the game does look interesting. Its realistic approach to the medieval setting, the ability to tackle objectives in a variety of ways and the character customization offer a fresh experience compared to most RPGs I've played. I'm not a huge fan of its combat but after a bit of getting used to it, I would expect to get along with it just fine. Despite all its strong points though, KCD has the potential for mediocrity so I'll wait for reviews and hands on impressions before shaping an opinion.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#116 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@texasgoldrush: it is very much on my radar. Was listening to podcasts lazt week and only two gamers were hyped for it. I think this could be a real gem.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#117 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

31.7 GB download size. Why is it not compressed?

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 5

#118 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

I'm betting 5-7 in scores.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

It looks great but the combat looks wonky, a few streams on twitch atm

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@mrbojangles25: 300Million per minute? Slow down there buddy.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#121 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

@mrbojangles25: 300Million per minute? Slow down there buddy.

what? You don't think a 1.5 minute Superbowl commercial cost close to a half-billion dollars?

Whoops turns out it is still high, but more like 5 million dollars for a 30-second ad.

Still a waste of money.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

@johnd13 said:

I've seen some gameplay and the game does look interesting. Its realistic approach to the medieval setting, the ability to tackle objectives in a variety of ways and the character customization offer a fresh experience compared to most RPGs I've played. I'm not a huge fan of its combat but after a bit of getting used to it, I would expect to get along with it just fine. Despite all its strong points though, KCD has the potential for mediocrity so I'll wait for reviews and hands on impressions before shaping an opinion.

The combat is what honestly turns me off the most. The game looks great and I definitely would like to give it a try but the combat and the way the camera moves; it's meh. Everything else looks awesome though. I'm waiting to see some reviews on the combat and worst comes to worst I could always refund it through Steam.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#123 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

just got the game, but can't play it yet :(
There is a 25.878 GB day one update that has to be downloaded

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#124 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14893 Posts

Hopefully the day one patch shuts off any day one reviews, as any potential review copy won't reflect the released game.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#125 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I have been following this game loosely for awhile. I really don't know whether it's going to be awesome or if it will suck. Jury is out for me. But im definitely interested.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#126 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

2GB left. I'll be able to play it afterwards.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19568 Posts

@texasgoldrush: I've read a review that says the Day 1 patched version still feels like an alpha.

That's probably a massive exaggeration, but all of the reviews so far mention technical issues aplenty.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

@Planeforger said:

@texasgoldrush: I've read a review that says the Day 1 patched version still feels like an alpha.

That's probably a massive exaggeration, but all of the reviews so far mention technical issues aplenty.

That shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone who plays games. Not many big games are released without technical issues, especially when it's from a small developer. Hopefully they can fix the worst issues over the coming days/weeks.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 texasgoldrush

@Planeforger said:

They seem to be playing the non patched version.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@texasgoldrush: Nope. Even the patched version runs like shit.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By texasgoldrush

@Juub1990 said:

@texasgoldrush: Nope. Even the patched version runs like shit.

The patch landed after they received their review copies.

Overall, the reviewers do seem to like the game, with some calling it a classic, outside the bugs.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

See, this is why Mount and Blade 2 still doesn't have a release date

****, now that made me sad.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Got my copy, but I'm playing DW9 first.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#135 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24920 Posts

The reviews have been very mix as game is very buggy and glitchy. i was hoping this could be RPG having good gameplay. i guess i was wrong.

RPG games in general tend to have mediocre gameplay.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#136  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58929 Posts

The main point of contention seems to be bugs.

If this was a Bethesda title they would mostly just add personality.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

The main point of contention seems to be bugs.

If this was a Bethesda title they would mostly just add personality.

i remember when Stalker was criticize for being buggy but Fallout and elder scrolls are not.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#138  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@ghosts4ever: RPGs offer the worst paramilitary fps gameplay. I agree. Good thing they can offer good RPG gameplay

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

hmmm... I think I will get it this weekend.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts

Their budget was super low for a game of this scale. It's only a fraction of what say Skyrim had.

The whole development seems to be mainly driven just from their passion for the game.

From what I've seen, it's a really immersive game, and given that I love games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R and Mount and Blade, it seems up my alley.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#141 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

So skimming through some random reviews, nice to see current 75 PC metascore, some bugs apparently but I started downloading the day 1 23GB patch on the X before going to work.

Its getting decent praise overall, the game does not hold your hands apparently. I just hope the gameplay is not too complicated, I'm looking for a nice immersive story mostly and a compelling world and characters. I hope the open world stuff is not overdone.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Needhealing

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/kingdom-come-deliverance?ref=hp

As expected, 7. Looks like an interesting game, but likely bankrupting its developer.

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Johnny-n-Roger

@needhealing said:

As expected, 7. Looks like an interesting game, but likely bankrupting its developer.

How do you figure?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Ghosts4ever

@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@needhealing said:

How do you figure?

games like this need a publisher for backing not kickstarter.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Annoying how everything has an animation.

Was looking forward to throwing shit at a house, but it was a cutscene.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#146 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Lots of good ideas but it looks kind of crappy. Maybe in a few months.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 with_teeth26

@freedomfreak said:

Annoying how everything has an animation.

Was looking forward to throwing shit at a house, but it was a cutscene.

it gets way less cutscene heavy after the first 4-5 hours or so

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Johnny-n-Roger

@phbz said:

Lots of good ideas but it looks kind of crappy. Maybe in a few months.

This is what I'm thinking. I actually think it will be relatively successful in the long term once the game is stable and a community is established.

It will not be successful on consoles however, just because of the way the console market works. Console games are driven by initial sales which almost require "optimistic" (wined and dined) reviewers and/or multi million dollar pre-release marketing campaigns.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 with_teeth26

I got a early copy of this last Wednesday and have played about 25 hours

I really like the game, but its certainly buggy. I'd say on par with something like Skyrim or Fallout 4 polish wise, so largely playable, but you'll be noticing bugs pretty much every time you play. sometimes they are minor like having an object in front of a character during a conversation, but they can be as major as broken side quests.

Performance on my PC is not as good as I would have liked. I'm on a 6700k/1080/16gb of ram, and I had to drop the settings to High (below very high and ultra high) to get consistently good performance, and even then there are a couple of spots where the frame rate tanks.

I'm not at all surprised to see such divisive reviews. I think for most people who play this, it'll be either like a 9/10 or a 5/10 (if you ignore the bugs). I really dig the storytelling and the immersive qualities the game has but the pace will definitely be too slow for some. The combat is way better than it looks during gameplay. Its actually really cool, reminds me of a better and more natural version of the combat in For Honor. However, there is not much combat at all so far. Its only a small part of the experience. You will be doing a lot more talking and travelling.

I'd say unless you have a high bug tolerance and are really hungry for a slow paced RPG it would be a good idea to wait for a sale on this one, mostly so the devs have time to patch things.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Needhealing

@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@needhealing said:

How do you figure?

Expensive game, very little advertising. This game needed to be critically acclaimed with huge word of mouth to make this studio survive. It's having neither. No way, they are making their money back.